Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM Audio Timeline

edited January 2021 in General App Discussion

Does AUM actually have an audio timeline that is hidden from the user interface?

I am using the “offset” to trigger audio as I would on a timeline e.g.:

• intro = offset 0
  • Verse = offset 64
  • Chorus = offset 128
  • Verse = offset 192
  • Chorus = offset 256
  • Bridge = offset 320
  • Chorus = offset 384

You can even fast forward or rewind by dragging the transport control section, but each section needs to be on a separate track, because there is only one offset trigger per sample.

I hope we get an actual timeline UI one day, or at least multiple offset triggers per phrase sample.

Comments

• Genius! 🧠

• Is it weird that I don't want a timeline in AUM? I mean I do but then it becomes more like a traditional DAW...

I actually trigger parts with Rozeta Cells. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• @BroCoast said:
    Is it weird that I don't want a timeline in AUM? I mean I do but then it becomes more like a traditional DAW...

It would be great as switchable option like the keyboard.

• @jolico. How/where do you access “offset”?
    Would you be kind enough to provide a screenshot?
    This appears to suit my workflow if I’m interpreting it correctly.
    Thanks in advance.

• @Ben said:
    @jolico. How/where do you access “offset”?
    Thanks in advance.

• @jolico
    Thanks for the reminder

Played with this a while back
    It’s great
    AUM was the best money I ever spent
    Was launching file player via LK with mixed results, but with this option, it is working great
    With atom 2 round the corner
    Things are looking bright

• @jolico said:

@Ben said:
    @jolico. How/where do you access “offset”?
    Thanks in advance.

Double tap to type the number

• @BroCoast said:
    Is it weird that I don't want a timeline in AUM? I mean I do but then it becomes more like a traditional DAW...

Not weird to me at all.

Then again, if one or more iOS DAW makers made it possible to hit a single button in AUM and magically have everything you recorded splayed out across a timeline, I wouldn't complain.

• wimwim
    edited January 2021

I would be happy enough if AUM just recognized Song Position Pointer (SPP) midi messages and could jump to the position in its (already existing) timeline. If it did, then sequencers such as Xequence2 that are able to send SPP could be used to exploit AUM in some great ways. For instance, Multitrack Recorder AU, which does have a timeline and can sync to AUM's song position would work as an audio clip arranger in sync with X2 midi arrangements.

The existing timeline would be usable but remain completely invisible to anyone that doesn't want it.

• @wim said:
    I would be happy enough if AUM just recognized Song Position Pointer (SPP) midi messages and could jump to the position in its (already existing) timeline. If it did, then sequencers such as Xequence2 that are able to send SPP could be used to exploit AUM in some great ways. For instance, Multitrack Recorder AU, which does have a timeline and can sync to AUM's song position would work as an audio clip arranger in sync with X2 midi arrangements.

The existing timeline would be usable but remain completely invisible to anyone that doesn't want it.

Well done for spotting another opportunity to bring up SPP support in AUM. @j_liljedahl will crack one day 😂

• @j_liljedahl
    Will we ever get an actual audio timeline in AUM?

• McDMcD
    edited May 2021

After watching @j_liljedahl's video concert I can see why he doesn't care about timeline details. He doesn't sync tracks... he blends inputs and has no master clock at play.

Most of us do the same thing and just play...

But I'll echo the request for some method of sync beyond the bounds of AUM itself using
    MIDI slaving, Ableton Link, anything brilliant @Michael can invent (is there a sync in AudioBus?) or a new solution hammered out by a handful of the current developers of
    IOS sequencers and/or DAW's. Call it a timeline service or whatever but discuss a solution...
    even if it's a little hardware clock we all have to buy that schedules timed events according to
    some master timeline.

I'd contribute to a "GoFundYourself" campaign to help pay for the coding effort and documentation. Notice I didn't say how much I'd kick in. Pitch something to me first.

• @McD said:
    After watching @j_liljedahl's video concert I can see why he doesn't care about timeline details. He doesn't sync tracks... he blends inputs and has no master clock at play.

Thanks for watching! But you're wrong, it was all synchronized and clocked, using the Korg SQ-64 hardware sequencer.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@McD said:

Thanks for watching! But you're wrong, it was all synchronized and clocked, using the Korg SQ-64 hardware sequencer.

Would someone kindly share a link to this video please?

• @syrupcore said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@McD said:

Would someone kindly share a link to this video please?

• @j_liljedahl
    That's a tremendous video. Holy cow, it's a really moving soundscape. Not sure how you got Wim Wenders to direct, but I approve!

My only question: The guy who invented the core of my iPad setup uses a hardware sequencer? Can't (as the mantra goes) Drambo do this?

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    @j_liljedahl
    That's a tremendous video. Holy cow, it's a really moving soundscape. Not sure how you got Wim Wenders to direct, but I approve!

My only question: The guy who invented the core of my iPad setup uses a hardware sequencer? Can't (as the mantra goes) Drambo do this?

Because I haven't (yet) designed the perfect cv/gate/MIDI live sequencer for iPad ;)

• @j_liljedahl said:

@McD said:

What's the BPM for that session? Just kidding... you music is much more organic in design than the typical EDM style session of a Kraftwerk with a driving and obvious pulse.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    @j_liljedahl

Because I haven't (yet) designed the perfect cv/gate/MIDI live sequencer for iPad ;)

THIS SOUNDS PROMISING

• 8==)

@j_liljedahl said:

8=======D

• edited May 2021

I’m a songwriter in the traditional sense. I combine vocals, guitars, bass, drums and synths and write 3 or 4 minute songs. In the last year I have started incorporating iOS instruments and apps into that process for the first time. I’m loving the use of the KB-1 keyboard, 4Pockets Strummer, Touchscaper, GeoShred and various iOS synths and am finding these genuinely inspiring in expanding what I’ve done before.

Until now I have used desktop DAWs, but now know my way around Cubasis and GarageBand and can see me working more and more in iOS to write and record complete songs.

Do you think AUM would be a good purchase for a traditional songwriter? I can’t quite get my head around not working with a timeline. My view (which is quite likely wring) is that AUM would be a lot of fun, but may not be particularly useful to someone like me.

• Do you think AUM would be a good purchase for a traditional songwriter? I can’t quite get my head around not working with a timeline. My view (which is quite likely wring) is that AUM would be a lot of fun, but may not be particularly useful to someone like me.

AUM is a great platform for exploring new ideas and techniques. I’ve definitely made some things I otherwise wouldn’t have.
    I had been exporting the stems to Logic to finalise things but with the help of apps like Atom2, MidiMixer and some Fab Filters, I can now finish things in iOS.
    Recommend.

• @duncank said:

Do you think AUM would be a good purchase for a traditional songwriter? I can’t quite get my head around not working with a timeline. My view (which is quite likely wring) is that AUM would be a lot of fun, but may not be particularly useful to someone like me.

AUM is a great platform for exploring new ideas and techniques. I’ve definitely made some things I otherwise wouldn’t have.
    I had been exporting the stems to Logic to finalise things but with the help of apps like Atom2, MidiMixer and some Fab Filters, I can now finish things in iOS.
    Recommend.

Thanks!

• @BillS said:
    I’m a songwriter in the traditional sense. I combine vocals, guitars, bass, drums and synths and write 3 or 4 minute songs. In the last year I have started incorporating iOS instruments and apps into that process for the first time. I’m loving the use of the KB-1 keyboard, 4Pockets Strummer, Touchscaper, GeoShred and various iOS synths and am finding these genuinely inspiring in expanding what I’ve done before.

Until now I have used desktop DAWs, but now know my way around Cubasis and GarageBand and can see me working more and more in iOS to write and record complete songs.

AUM is addictive.
    You have been warned.

• wimwim
    edited May 2021

@BillS said:

No, I don’t. It’s great for jamming and/or arranging on the fly, not for traditional timeline based work. It would just be a distraction.

If you get bored with how you work and want to just jam and experiment, maybe. But not if you’re just going to fall into th trap of trying to adapt it to you existing way of working. That’s nothing but a distraction you don’t need.

IMO.

• I think the AUM timeline has changed. today I found rewind fast forward arrows when I dragged it. Unless I've somehow missed activating those they're new, and make moving around the timeline easier

• @SimonSomeone said:
    I think the AUM timeline has changed. today I found rewind fast forward arrows when I dragged it. Unless I've somehow missed activating those they're new, and make moving around the timeline easier

They aren't new.

• @wim said:

@BillS said:

No, I don’t. It’s great for jamming and/or arranging on the fly, not for traditional timeline based work. It would just be a distraction.

If you get bored with how you work and want to just jam and experiment, maybe. But not if you’re just going to fall into th trap of trying to adapt it to you existing way of working. That’s nothing but a distraction you don’t need.

IMO.

Yep, I get that too - get into AUM to do something different, but don't try to fit a square peg in a round hole.

• @McD said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@McD said:

What's the BPM for that session? Just kidding... you music is much more organic in design than the typical EDM style session of a Kraftwerk with a driving and obvious pulse.

It was 50 BPM.

• @j_liljedahl said:
    It was 50 BPM.

Thank you for AUM and all your amazing IOS apps.