Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Live Looping turned Dj!

Hi everyone!

Not sure if this has been floated as an idea or not, BUT, hear me out:

An app like Loopy or Quantiloop feeds into another app with DJ tools.

This new DJ app would take the loops that are running and offer controls for them (similar to Djay Pro) - such as grouping vocals, drums, instruments etc (automatically), providing faders, options for scratching with turn-tables, pausing, sweep filters, etc.

All the cool things DJ's can do to a pre recorded clip/song, but in this case it's using a LIVE LOOP that you just created!

You can then delete the loop and start again with a new song. The DJ app would reset and off you go :)

What you all think?

Comments

• edited May 2021

I’m building exactly this with AUM, a Faderfox DJ3, and Loopy Pro (soon enough). The idea is to be able to more seamlessly (and expressively) switch between live AUM projects within a set.

I have the DJ tools in AUM but it’s quite bad. I have not found any suitable DJ software on iPadOS for this use case. Would pair well with a macbook air and traktor

• Niiiice!!!
    Please keep me updated with this project!
    DJ3 is a cool little station!
    No tables tho?
    Would the Numark DJ2Go work? $100 little USB gadget with a few faders etc.

• edited May 2021

@mustangmusic said:
    Niiiice!!!
    Please keep me updated with this project!
    DJ3 is a cool little station!
    No tables tho?
    Would the Numark DJ2Go work? $100 little USB gadget with a few faders etc.

I actually have that same controller and was thinking of a setup exactly like this. Where I'm at is a combination of a DAW (Beatmaker 3) + an AUv3 effect (Drambo/Effectrix/Koala FX) + Host (AUM/Audiobus).

The tricky part is doing the scratching. I could technically make a special pad/bank in Beatmaker 3 that makes the scratching noise, combined with another effect.

I actually think Beatmaker 3 is the only app that can do this well. The sampler is insane, it supports multiple banks, and it can save a project if there's a crash.

Drambo allows you to map the Numark DJ2GO controls (including the turntables). I wish Djay Pro supported it natively, but turns out I need to get the subscription to access that feature. I do have six months free to use it, so I really should get to it.

I really should make a video on this. I post a ton of videos at https://www.youtube.com/seonnthaproducer if you're curious about other apps.

• That’s great man!!
    Wow, you got a LOT of videos up on there!

I thought about scratching noises, but its not the same, as you have to either scratch 'over the top' of the loop that is playing, or pause the loop for the scratch sound so it sounds like you're scratching the loop its self... too much work/easy to go wrong.

If you get it working, PLEASE send me a video :smiley:

Glad im not the only one out there trying crazy things :wink:

• edited May 2021

@mustangmusic said:
    That’s great man!!
    Wow, you got a LOT of videos up on there!

I thought about scratching noises, but its not the same, as you have to either scratch 'over the top' of the loop that is playing, or pause the loop for the scratch sound so it sounds like you're scratching the loop its self... too much work/easy to go wrong.

If you get it working, PLEASE send me a video :smiley:

Glad im not the only one out there trying crazy things :wink:

Sure. I'm building on the lessons learnt from using Garageband, and Ampify Launchpad. I was planning on adding Mozaic scripting, but that'll be too complex, haha.

The other option of scratching was using the Wiggle - DJ Scratch app. It supports slideover view so it's got potential. Gotta get some ideas flowing, haha.

Here’s what I mean…

• The headachesound omni is rad for scratching but where Im a synth tweaker. I think after tweaking a synth. Best way for a scratch deck would be a gauss 2.0. A multi screen gauss. With radio unit. Gauss multi channel. When you record it adds a cue point when you press record. Map omni jog wheel to gauss. Leave fader un-mapped. Scratch radio unit samples. Then switch ch on gauss. Record. You have a cuepoint system because of ch switching in gauss. The previous ch continues its loop. But you can also have cuepoints within a ch. Zones between cuepoints are the triggers or trigger lines. We should buy Bram an omni if he think timecode can be used with loop markers.

• that's a fantastic idea! I was always a fan of the launchpad app and its effects section.
    sorry to hijack this thread, I'm thinking of slightly different scenario: how about feeding two grooveboxes (hardware or app) in a dj-like fx app which also allows scratching? I'm not entirely sure how to do that, but I'd like to mix an match patterns on my hardware devices and feed them into AUM or something. That should be doable with GrooveRider as well I believe. Suitable effects would be Koala and Looperator I guess. What do you guy think?
    All I need is a fitting Audio Interface....

• @osKar said:
    that's a fantastic idea! I was always a fan of the launchpad app and its effects section.
    sorry to hijack this thread, I'm thinking of slightly different scenario: how about feeding two grooveboxes (hardware or app) in a dj-like fx app which also allows scratching? I'm not entirely sure how to do that, but I'd like to mix an match patterns on my hardware devices and feed them into AUM or something. That should be doable with GrooveRider as well I believe. Suitable effects would be Koala and Looperator I guess. What do you guy think?
    All I need is a fitting Audio Interface....

Yeah, AUM would be the best bet. If you're doing it live, I think Turnado might be better than Looperator. @supadom showed me the potential of Turnado, but I should have picked it up on sale...sigh.

Regarding syncing grooveboxes, I haven't used a hardware Groovebox. I usually use software Grooveboxes. But I’ll answer it as if I was using a hardware Groovebox (or in my case, another iPhone to sync with an iPad, which is more common for me)

In this video, I did a comparison between Ampify Groovebox, and Reason but also combined them. A few software synths use Ableton Link, or can be loaded directly into apps like Audiobus /AUM. When I’m using another device, I use that device as a controller where I play or add melodies/chords/drums to the main device (my iPad).

I think the hardest part about hardware Groovebox is getting the clocks to sync. A lot of apps and devices like to be the master. @echoopera mentioned having to sync it manually before he could get his project working.

Personally, I'd get the audio from my hardware Groovebox into something like Koala or Beatmaker 3, then use my hardware Grooveboxes as a MIDI controller, or to add special/live drum kits.

• edited May 2021

It sounds like a cool idea!

• @seonnthaproducer Midi 2 Link works fine when using hardware with AUM. These days i just use Drambo to either receive or send clock.

• @echoopera said:
    @seonnthaproducer Midi 2 Link works fine when using hardware with AUM. These days i just use Drambo to either receive or send clock.

Very interesting. How do you record the sessions you do on Drambo?

• I just record loops into FlexiSampler.

• @echoopera said:
    I just record loops into FlexiSampler.

Whoa, that's it. That's the missing piece. Flexi sampler has a speed control that allows me to reverse and forward the loop, hence getting the scratch effect. Just did a quick video on Drambo to show what I mean.

Now, if I can trigger Beatmaker 3 to record the audio as it’s going through the effect rack, then we’re all set to go.

• My review for the maker.

Fader so sharp you can tap the top. High torque motor. Dvs works also.

If you like scratching, then buy. If you think it will be novelty then dont.

• I think it would be great if there was an AUV3 DJ deck, that could be loaded into AUM as an instrument.

It would be able to browse and load songs from your library and have normal cue points, loop control and transport etc.

Then you would use AUM and all your effects to build a unique dj mixer/ environment tailored to your needs. Combine it with drum machines or a Drambo session etc.

• Found this forum on Beepstreet.
    Guy talks about using Drambo as a live looper:

" I currently use Drambo as a DJ mixer with looper, where one "deck" is a live signal and another one is a loop. I sample the loop of the live signal, then quickly move the crossfader to replace the live signal with the recorded loop. After that I change the track being played live on my hardware and blend in the new track by moving the crossfader back. "

Check it out here: https://forum.beepstreet.com/discussion/755/flexi-sampler-features-useful-in-my-specific-use-case

• Awesome! Now there‘s no excuse to wait any longer. I need this app :-)

• @seonnthaproducer thanks for the advice! Your video was quite helpful. I‘ll try that out soon
    Sticking to software has many advantages I reckon. much cheaper definetely ;-)

• edited May 2021

@seonnthaproducer said:

@echoopera said:
    I just record loops into FlexiSampler.

Whoa, that's it. That's the missing piece. Flexi sampler has a speed control that allows me to reverse and forward the loop, hence getting the scratch effect. Just did a quick video on Drambo to show what I mean.

Now, if I can trigger Beatmaker 3 to record the audio as it’s going through the effect rack, then we’re all set to go.

YEAH BUDDY!!!!
    That's it!! Nice work :smiley:

I sent a small message to the big cheese, Michael, with regards to a DJ style addition to Loopy Pro and he very kindly responded. He says that loop manipulation is planned for. He has added a loop slicer and expects other additions to be coming along in the future. He finishes the message by adding "Probably". lol! Savvy business talk there :D

This is amazing news! Cant wait for the new version!!

• edited May 2021

A good app for scratching might be a pseudo vinyl on screen or not even a vinyl but maybe midi fader ( maybe nanokontrol ) On screen would be buttons for transform. Double click. 3 and 4 finger crab. Would need to be quantized I guess or be fast enough to quantize to the record movement, where the fader determines the multi click crabs. Or the crabs be quantized and the transforms not quantized. Think you would need x2 transform button and an auto crab above or left or right of transform. Could be mad. That vibration thing you do ( like in vid ) could also just be a button ( maybe with speed settings ) fastest best. Then move fader and then see how a crab sounds also. Vibration+movement+a crab. You would win the DMC.

• So lets be honest here. Iv possibly created a decent digital fader, without needing to buy a deck and mixer plus a looper, where you can scratch live radio.

If you can make it. You will make some money.

• With turntable. I use weak hand for vinyl and better hand on fader. Even though better hand on fader is better on vinyl but with a midi fader and buttons that auto crab and you only need to transform. Would be better, with better hand on fader/vinyl but I aint Qbert by any means.