Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ID700 IS HERE

Comments

• I don't need a new synth, but I will probably buy a new synth. Is it easy to use?

• @Montreal_Music said:
    I don't need a new synth, but I will probably buy a new synth. Is it easy to use?

No but as you work with it, you can start hearing what everything does. There’s a few resources dissecting it a bit on another thread but it’s complex

• @espiegel123 said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:

@espiegel123 said:
    Lost hours tonight with morphing drones running through a 32 second IR capture from a cistern. I set up cc mapping to the waveshaper slots and ran slow LFOs into them while I turned and twisted knobs to control other parameters.

32 seconds? Great Scott! Was it from the Inchindown oil tanks?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inchindown_oil_tanks

Here is an improvised nightmare. One ID700 and 32 second reverb IR from a large empty cistern.

Eerie, menacing. Love it.

• wimwim
    edited April 2021

@Montreal_Music said:
    Is it easy to use?

Hell no. :D

Wonderful for this of us who are into that kinda thing tho.

• The ID700 sale ends tomorrow, price going up. How is everyone getting on with it? Has the novelty worn off, or does it get better with age?

I haven’t gotten around to buying it. Trying to decide.

• edited May 2021

@pere1200: my biggest problem is not using it on everything. It is great, very distinctive, and the most unique synth app I’ve used since iVCS. Pace @wim I like how you can change up the presets easily by swapping algorithms or playing with the harmonics slider without really having any idea of what you’re doing! And those minutes long envelopes... Sure, if you’re a rocket scientist you can probably get it to do anything. But even if you’re not (I’m not), you can get a hell of a lot of cool noises out of it just by randomly messing about. Get it, you won’t regret it.

• ID700 is an awesome and different synth. Like no other. The dev have put some new features since release (love rotating voice allocation )

• I’m really enjoying the tones. Something different for me.

• I think it is awesome. It allows (particularly if you take advantage of being able to modulate the waveshaper partials via AU parameters) the creation of synthetic sounds with a sort of organic feel.

Some familiarity with FM synthesis is helpful.

• @pete12000 said:
    The ID700 sale ends tomorrow, price going up. How is everyone getting on with it? Has the novelty worn off, or does it get better with age?

I haven’t gotten around to buying it. Trying to decide.

I have really gotten into it, and am starting to get some quite unique sounds. It has a quite unique sonic palette and works really well for creating slowly evolving ambient textures.

• I bought it the day it came out and I've been diving into it ever since, really is genius.

• I love FM, so I bought it. Playing through presets, and there's no question: great synth.

• It is a mental synth. This I think will always be on keys, with screen tweaking, along with a ripplemaker. Seemed a good combo. Need to see what it will be like with a volca modular and volca drum on the side. Loads of that weird/good sound. Its just the modular isnt easy to patch, even if you know where to patch.

• Linear knobs and vertical fine tuning on the faders is here! Thanks @modosc great improvement!

• Ended up selling all 3 of my Volcas (Modular, FM and Drum - the “weird” trifecta of volcas), just wasn’t using them enough and I think Incan get as much if not more out my iPad, plus it funded a Microfreak which I really love

• edited May 2021

This is the first app I've bought since Drambo was released. After a couple of hours with it, I'm thinking this is the most fun software FM synth I've tried - it's deep with many options; much to explore and learn, and it sounds very very good. There were some hiccups getting started. I loaded it Drambo and attempts to map Drambo modulators to ID700 caused crashes. I then saved a few tweaks as a user preset, then mapping to Drambo worked! Thanks to @modosc for this creation.

• Stupid question Im sure as I’ve only opened it once or twice since purchasing, but a lot of the presets seem to be “latched” as soon as you select them or just hit a note on the keyboard, is this intentional?

• @ghost_forests said:
    Stupid question Im sure as I’ve only opened it once or twice since purchasing, but a lot of the presets seem to be “latched” as soon as you select them or just hit a note on the keyboard, is this intentional?

Yes. Some of them have very long decays, or infinite. Turn down the Time Scale to speed them up, or use the Panic button to stop them. I believe it's trying to replicate some of the "experimental" features of the Buchla original. You can see in the little animated graphs which aspects are being sustained. There are 14 envelope generators, each associated with a module, and the envelopes can do loops and other tricks, much more than ADSR.

• @ghost_forests said:
    Stupid question Im sure as I’ve only opened it once or twice since purchasing, but a lot of the presets seem to be “latched” as soon as you select them or just hit a note on the keyboard, is this intentional?

try enabling the “preset auto panic” advanced setting to change this behavior.

• Or you could just play it like I do, and tap that panic button like it’s the fire button on an Astroids arcade game! Pew pew pew!

Seriously though, this has become one of my most favorite synths!

• Pew pew pew!

Exactly!

Save for stuck notes I'd never actually used a panic button before ... could usually work my way back to somewhere safe ... but it's hard when you've got no idea how you got there or what just happened. .. could do with a joystick - even a steering wheel. ... I know - controls like the Tardis!

Bucket of wild weird utterly unpredictable fun.

• Thanks guys!

• @modosc I was wondering if you could tweak the sliders behavior or add an option for it. I think that the current way they work can be summarized as:
    1. If I tap a slider, the value immediately jumps to that position
    2. If I keep dragging after tapping, within the slider boundaries, I manipulate the value directly
    3. If I keep dragging, but go out of the slider boundaries, I fine-tune the value
    4. If I go back to the slider boundaries, the value jumps to the position I went back to

One side-effect is that "flicking" a slider to make it go to the highest or lowest value requires one to be very precise to avoid leaving the slider boundaries.

If possible, I'd like to be able to either fine-tune values by dragging further away (i.e., not the binary coarse/fine-tune mode we have right now), without values jumping if I go back to the boundaries, or not have fine-tuning at all, so I can see the value I'm dragging to by placing my finger a little outside the slider.

Please let me know if this makes any sense at all.
    Thanks!

• I’m getting crashes on AU recall from AUM sessions pretty regularly. Will share a project with the developer.

• edited May 2021

@gusgranite said:
    I’m getting crashes on AU recall from AUM sessions pretty regularly. Will share a project with the developer.

Noticing this recently too.

• Getting some ‘error’ messages now when loading existing Drambo projects that use ID700. Reloading helps sometimes, but often times not.

• @NoiseFloored said:
    @modosc I was wondering if you could tweak the sliders behavior or add an option for it. I think that the current way they work can be summarized as:

I definitely agree with this and posted about it just after the app's release. It's hard to make fine adjustments, since touching the slider jumps it to that value, whereas I think it be more useful to leave the value unchanged when the slider is touched, and only change it if that touch becomes a drag operation, otherwise that first touch has to be very precise, and this is difficult and quite frustrating at the moment.

• i'd definitely appreciate if anyone can send a project that causes the crash. i've been unable to get symbolication working with ios so when i do get crash reports they're fairly useless.

• @modosc Email sent.

• @craftycurate said:

@NoiseFloored said:
    @modosc I was wondering if you could tweak the sliders behavior or add an option for it. I think that the current way they work can be summarized as:

I definitely agree with this and posted about it just after the app's release. It's hard to make fine adjustments, since touching the slider jumps it to that value, whereas I think it be more useful to leave the value unchanged when the slider is touched, and only change it if that touch becomes a drag operation, otherwise that first touch has to be very precise, and this is difficult and quite frustrating at the moment.

Yep, exactly. Now that I switched from 12.9" to 11" it definitely became more of a problem to me.