Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS 14.5.1 audio crackling, and problems with audio playback/transport

I just upgraded and am having major problems on my iPad (newest).

Using AUM I get audio glitches on both my Helix/interface and Stage Tracks III audio player. This is intermittent.

AudioShare audio playback and transport no longer works.
Multitrackstudio for iPad audio playback and transport no longer works... or works intermittently.

I'm attempting to roll back to a previous iPad version but this has caused a major delay and problem in my productivity. Not happy with this situation. Has anyone else had any problems like this?

Comments

• edited May 2021

All’s I know I opened up a current Cubasis project on the 2020 Pro with 6 audio tracks and 2 instances of TH-U Overloud as the only plugins. From scot-free last night to now a bit of crackling and behaving like it’s about to peak out. Strange, noticeable latency issues, too. It’ll seem fine then lag then correct back to ok at random.

For the first time ever, I can sort of understand a teensy bit about the silly paranoia of updating. But I’m not making my living off it, it’ll be fixed ASAP. Hell, even a restart might take care of it, haven’t tried.

• With some updates, there can be a bunch of setting up of system junk and maybe some filesystem optimizations and stuff like that. This will happen on macOS occasionally too. If this is the issue, letting it do its thing for awhile will usually settle it down.

I haven't seen any issues with the latest betas at this point.

• @NeonSilicon said:
    With some updates, there can be a bunch of setting up of system junk and maybe some filesystem optimizations and stuff like that. This will happen on macOS occasionally too. If this is the issue, letting it do its thing for awhile will usually settle it down.

That doesn’t make any sense. I’ve been through hundreds of update cycles over the years. Software either works or it doesn’t…there’s no “breaking in” period.

• @Coloobar said:

@NeonSilicon said:
    With some updates, there can be a bunch of setting up of system junk and maybe some filesystem optimizations and stuff like that. This will happen on macOS occasionally too. If this is the issue, letting it do its thing for awhile will usually settle it down.

That doesn’t make any sense. I’ve been through hundreds of update cycles over the years. Software either works or it doesn’t…there’s no “breaking in” period.

Have you never experienced unusual battery drain or heat right after the device was updated?

The more used storage space, the longer it takes to do it’s thing.

• @Coloobar said:

@NeonSilicon said:

There are hundreds of background processes running on iOS all the time. After an update, some of these may need to do extra work to reconfigure their resources for normal operation. This is often done in the background but can slow down the device because they are taking more processing time or storage access than they do in normal operation. It's fairly common, but usually doesn't have any significant impact. Some times though, it can be heavy.

These things usually only take a small amount of time to get finished. Some take longer depending on things like how many updates have happened between this one and the previous or how much storage has changed, etc. It can also depend on how long you leave the device on and able to run in the background.

If it lasts for more than a day, then I'd suspect the problem is something else.

• I experienced this same issue when upgraded to 14.5 and immediately rolled back to 14.4.2 and it went away. It is a definite issue and the only change was to upgrade. and stops when rolled back. If Apple is still signing 14.4.2 you can roll back, and shut off automatic updates for IOS, until it is sorted out.

It is for sure an issue and you are not alone. Just not sure what to do about it. When you report things like this to apple you get the idea _**you **_did something wrong, from their support, in my experience.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@Coloobar said:

@NeonSilicon said:

There are hundreds of background processes running on iOS all the time. After an update, some of these may need to do extra work to reconfigure their resources for normal operation. This is often done in the background but can slow down the device because they are taking more processing time or storage access than they do in normal operation. It's fairly common, but usually doesn't have any significant impact. Some times though, it can be heavy.

These things usually only take a small amount of time to get finished. Some take longer depending on things like how many updates have happened between this one and the previous or how much storage has changed, etc. It can also depend on how long you leave the device on and able to run in the background

If it lasts for more than a day, then I'd suspect the problem is something else.

I’ll be sure to tell this to my audience on Sunday when my guitar starts glitching during the show.

• @bobbyj8866 said:
    I experienced this same issue when upgraded to 14.5 and immediately rolled back to 14.4.2 and it went away. It is a definite issue and the only change was to upgrade. and stops when rolled back. If Apple is still signing 14.4.2 you can roll back, and shut off automatic updates for IOS, until it is sorted out.

It is for sure an issue and you are not alone. Just not sure what to do about it. When you report things like this to apple you get the idea _**you **_did something wrong, from their support, in my experience.

How do I roll back? I tried once this afternoon and it failed.

• I'm sorry, you can't I just checked and Apple is no longer singing the 14.4.2 IPSW< I guess I was lucky as I did it the same day 14.5 was released.

So the thing to do now is to blow up this link with the problem:
    https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

• Got the same issues (weird crackling mainly from the guitar plugins - not when playing vanilla) after updating to 14.5, thought the quite fast .1 release was a fix, bit no. On one occasion all apps quit giving out sound but I could still hear the guitar and microphone, nearly got a panic attack but then I discovered that unplugging/reinserting the usb cable to the sound interface (scarlett) fixes it for a while, quicker than a restart anyway. Certainly annoying it is (why do I sound like Yoda?).

• So it’s not just me.

I too am running into these issues since updating to 14.5, using an apogee one with an iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Even GarageBand clips and farts itself to death running a guitar thru it with only internal FX.

• edited May 2021

Can anyone else with an iPad 8 confirm that AudioShare or Multitrackstudio for iPad isn't working correctly?... try to press play on a file and nothing happens. I'm working with WAV files fwiw.

• @Coloobar said:
    Can anyone else with an iPad 8 confirm that AudioShare or Multitrackstudio for iPad isn't working correctly?... try to press play on a file and nothing happens. I'm working with WAV files fwiw.

Yep, mine is doing that. AudioShare anyway, I don’t have multitrackstudio. Disabling the app’s microphone access in system settings is a workaround. Have you tried that?

• Seeing this on 2020 10.5” iPad Pro

• Wow, it's a total mess on the 2017 iPad Pro 10.5" (14.5.1). Reported to Apple but there's no quick way out.

• edited May 2021

The audio cuts out on my 2020 iPad Pro 11” on iOS 14.5.1 when using hosts like BM3, Nanostudio 2, Drambo and Cubasis 2. I have to restart my iPad Pro for the audio to work again then it’s back to restarting my iPad every time the audio cuts out. It’s so annoying. Strange thing is the audio problem only happens on hosts.

• edited May 2021

Had the crackle happen in a few separate AUM sessions, but not every time. I’m on iOS 14.5 iPad 6 2018.

• edited May 2021

@Artmuzz said:
    The audio cuts out on my 2020 iPad Pro 11” on iOS 14.5.1 when using hosts like BM3, Nanostudio 2, Drambo and Cubasis 2. I have to restart my iPad Pro for the audio to work again then it’s back to restarting my iPad every time the audio cuts out. It’s so annoying. Strange thing is the audio problem only happens on hosts.

AUM and ApeMatrix is where it happens for me...not dropping out but like constant digital distortion. And only on multi-channel audio using an audio interface. Session usually starts fine and then craps out when I start introducing additional inputs.

If I only use music, video playback apps, YouTube etc. no issue...only a problem for music production. Haven't checked Garageband yet but suspect it will be the same.

• I had an issue where the sequencer in Drambo wouldn't start when hosted in AUM. When pressing start on the AUM transport Drambo would become silent, or make a distorted sound. I reinstalled both apps and it seems ok now.

• same here, any updates?

• @NeonSilicon said:

@Coloobar said:

@NeonSilicon said:
    ... letting it do its thing for awhile will usually settle it down.

Aha! I've noticed this 'shuffling about' after a couple of recent updates ... that somethings take longer and some apps interfere with each other ... then it subsides. Thought I was imagining it.

I've also found that knocking off a couple of big storage sample based apps then re-installing helps a lot. Not sure where they put 'em but either deleting or reinstalling seems to have an effect on access and cpu load.

Meanwhile I find myself hesitant to hit that update button till I've read a few posts here.

• edited May 2021

This is the glitch I keep getting since 14.5

Update1: I turned off bluetooth and updated the latest 14.6 Beta 3.
    Will try again later...

Update2: Seems to have stopped with the 14.6 Beta 3 update or from turning off bluetooth. I don't use bluetooth on this machine so I'm fine leaving it off anyways...

• Anyone ~not~ having this problem?

• This mail came in from @Retronyms:

TL;DR: Wait to update, back up your iPad.

Upgrading to iOS 14.5 may make iMPC Pro 1 unusable on your iPad.

Note: iMPC and iMPC Pro 2 are unaffected. This issue only relates to people still using iMPC Pro 1 on iPad.

Background:
    In December 2017, we released iMPC Pro 2, a new app. iMPC Pro 1 users were able to upgrade for a discounted "bundle" price for a period of months. We also added an archive/export feature to iMPC Pro 1 to make it easy to migrate projects from Pro 1 to Pro 2. After the upgrade period ended, we remove Pro 1 from sale and stopped supporting it with updates. However, users of Pro 1 were free to continue using it.
    Due to some unknown change by Apple inside iOS 14.5, iMPC Pro 1 is rendered unusable.

What this means for you:
    We understand that people who have upgraded to 14.5 are no longer able to access their projects. We are looking into solutions for recovering the projects. Stay tuned.
    Regardless of whether you've been affected or not, back up your iPad.

If you haven't upgraded to iOS 14.5, and you want to continue using iMPC Pro 1:
    Avoid upgrading for now.

If you haven't upgraded to iOS 14.5, and you want to move your projects to iMPC Pro 2:
    Back up your iPad. The easiest way to move your projects to Pro 2 is to use the built in Project Archive/Export feature in pro 1. It's available on the project browser screen. Export your projects, then copy them to your desktop computer.

If you have upgraded to iOS 14.5, and iMPC Pro 1 isn't working:
    Back up your iPad. Contact support at [email protected]

What we are doing:
    Apple generally doesn't intend for this to happen. We will be investigating the cause, and reaching out to them with a bug report. We're also looking into ways that the any projects can be recovered. Stay tuned for info.

I think they have some cred with Apple, so hopefully it will get noticed.

• edited May 2021

Hanging for a fix on this interface/core audio problem. I became too trusting of Apple re: iOS updates. No more early updates for me once this bug is solved. I've been checking here every day to see if there is any news on this. My iPad Pro has been essentially unusable (unpredictable audio behavior) since 14.5 with the iConnectivity iCA4+. May as well try the beta...

• Guess I’ll hang with 14.4.2 for a bit longer?

• @Edward_Alexander said:
    Guess I’ll hang with 14.4.2 for a bit longer?

Not a bad idea

• @mlau said:

@Edward_Alexander said:
    Guess I’ll hang with 14.4.2 for a bit longer?

Not a bad idea

I started getting complacent with just pressing the update button because of security but iPad is such a walled garden ecosystem. Even if I got a virus I’d just reset the machine, in contrast with waiting for Apple to sort things out since downgrading is still not possible AFAIK.

• 14.6 is out, is this solving any issues?

• The 14.6 beta seems to have fixed it for me so I’d assume it’s fine.