Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Did you know that AEM can record separate AUM channels simultaneously?

Becoming more and more a fan of Audio Evolution Mobile after the endless waiting for Cubasis bug fixes, I've just found out that I can record multiple AUM channels simultaneously using good ol' IAA. I didn't know that was possible with AEM.

1. Run AUM, load your project and run Audio Evolution. Choose IAA/Audiobus output on the tracks you want to record. Choose AUM channels as track inputs.

2. Enable recording on the AUM track outputs

3. Switch to AEM

Comments

• To be honest, I never really paid this one much attention. Looking over the user manual and screenshots, it's looking pretty tasty. In particular, the overview/scrub bar in the lower right (yum), markers, ripple editing and the ability to save versions of a project without copying all of the sounds. At least according to their wiki (which is android leaning so...).

The lack of visual clustering on the top bar of buttons makes me think I'll be unreasonably bothered by the UI in practice but for 9 bucks, might just give it a try.

• wimwim
    edited September 2020

It does require quite a bit of interface tolerance. But I think it’s time I dusted it off for another look too.

Not that anything doesn’t work right, it’s just hard to get used to.

• @wim said:
    It does require quite a bit of interface tolerance. But I think it’s time I dusted it off for another look too.

I agree, the workflow (especially the editing modes) could be more immediate and less restricted by editing modes and it does require some time to get used to.
    It does its job though, and I prefer the editing functions over Cubasis for both audio and MIDI. On-board SFZ and sound font support is nice too.

• edited May 2021

So, to pick up on my subject again:
    Recording multiple channels is one thing but you might also want both AEM and AUM play in sync.
    Though not a perfect solution, here's what I've done (feels a bit like the old SMPTE/MIDI sync times but it does work 😉):
    1. Enable MIDI clock sending in AEM and make sure you have some count-in in your project:

2. Run MIDI Link Sync, enable LINK, tap "MIDI => LINK" and choose "MIDI Link Sync IN":

3. In AUM, enable LINK as well:

4. Switch back to AEM and hit Play or Rec

Because LINK has no immediate start (LINK members will always wait for the next beat phase instead) and AUM still does not support MIDI clock input in 2021, using this method can take a few tries until both run in sync but anyway it's one of the better options to get separate tracks out of AUM with virtually unlimited length.

Note: If all you want is the pure audio tracks from AUM, you don't need all that sync mumbo jumbo.

• Many thanks for this, @rs2000

• @rs2000 , is there a reason for someone to use MIDI Link Sync if one had Audiobus 3? (Which I have shown elsewhere can be used to get AUM and NS2 started in sync with NS2 driving tempo changes to AUM)

• @espiegel123 said:
    @rs2000 , is there a reason for someone to use MIDI Link Sync if one had Audiobus 3? (Which I have shown elsewhere can be used to get AUM and NS2 started in sync with NS2 driving tempo changes to AUM)

MIDI Link Sync worked for me. I haven't compared MIDI Link Sync and AB3 for that purpose.

• @wim said:

This is why I'm not enthusiastic about AEM. It just feels like I'm wading towards each solution when I use the interface. It is not user friendly, at least, not to me. I'm all for innovation or different but good different is my thing, not just different for the sake of it.

• Wait, We can’t record 8 AUM tracks simultaneously in Cubasis 3? I swear I’ve done it.

• edited May 2021