Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Touchscaper updated with new 'touch keyboard'

Rob Jackson @moodscaper just updated Touchscaper to v1.6

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/touchscaper/id1250344299

It now has a really neat 'touch keyboard' option which allows for positional velocity - works very nicely with Pianos in AUM. Rob's got a couple of demos on YouTube - check them out:

Comments

• @enkaytee this is great. The touch velocity adds so much and the random velocity setting that can be applied to notes played in the ‘radar’ take the whole app up a level for creating dynamic, expressive pieces. Played it through a piano sound this morning and created stuff I could never do before.
    I also love the ability to move forward through your chosen chords each time you release your fingers from the screen. Thanks for posting this thread, Touchscaper is beautiful to play and has so many possibilities. Big thumbs up to @moodscaper

• @rud Fully agree! This is such a wonderful app. I often use it to control my Waldorf iridium. The controls are brilliant. Thanks @moodscaper

• Agree with the comments above. Touchscaper was one of the first music iOS apps I bought in Jan 2020 and have used it ever since. Great work @moodscaper .

• edited May 2021

The touch keyboard is a fantastic addition to the app. One thing I think might be cool is if the midi for the touch keyboard and main instruments were separated so you can play an instrument with velocity control on the touch keyboard and have a different accompaniment played from the radar - this is already the case for the ribbon. Rob says he could consider this if enough people are interested so if it's something you'd like to see, post something here...👍

• Thanks so much guys! I think being able to assign the new keyboard to a different MIDI source is already proving to be quite a popular feature request. I'm on it! :smile:

• @moodscaper said:
    Thanks so much guys! I think being able to assign the new keyboard to a different MIDI source is already proving to be quite a popular feature request. I'm on it! :smile:

Thanks @moodscaper - the icing on the cake...👍

• Nice! Will have to play with this later tonight

• edited May 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Connor said:
    @moodscaper Another beautiful Rob Jackson app with great functionality, that I wish was universal, for iPhone 😊🙏

+1 Is a iPhone version possible/planned @moodscaper ?

• @Connor said: Another beautiful Rob Jackson app, with great functionality, that I wish was universal for iPhone 😊🙏

Many thanks! I'd like to, but the UI re-work for an iPhone version would be pretty daunting - all those settings / config views basically. Plus, I'd get roasted for not prioritising AUv3 over that.

Speaking of priorities...

Just an update on the additional source for the new keyboard. It's do-able, but not as quick a do-able as I originally thought so it has to take its place in the things to do queue I'm afraid - sorry about that.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @moodscaper said:

@Connor said: Another beautiful Rob Jackson app, with great functionality, that I wish was universal for iPhone 😊🙏

Many thanks! I'd like to, but the UI re-work for an iPhone version would be pretty daunting - all those settings / config views basically. Plus, I'd get roasted for not prioritising AUv3 over that.

Speaking of priorities...

Just an update on the additional source for the new keyboard. It's do-able, but not as quick a do-able as I originally thought so it has to take its place in the things to do queue I'm afraid - sorry about that.

Ahh - God bless ya for letting us know Rob...👍

• @moodscaper said:
    Thanks so much guys! I think being able to assign the new keyboard to a different MIDI source is already proving to be quite a popular feature request. I'm on it! :smile:

Amazing! I just bought the app without reading this thread and looked immediately for an option to do this. I guess it's quite intuitive to think of separating the keyboard to another instrument! 😁 Thank you

• By the way, I don't understand where one can randomize the velocities of notes in the sequencer. Any tips?

• @jsmonzani not sure if you can randomise the velocity in the sequencer. Only the radar, I believe, can be set to random. The new touch strip depends on where you play it and how much range you want in the velocity. Before the random velocity feature I once recorded and saved my midi into atom2 (using AUM) and then opened atom2 in audiobus, imported the midi before sending it into MF Randomiser in the midi fx slot. It was a workaround but it worked.

• Is this just a midi controller or it has sound in it? Where does the sound come from in your video? Thanks.

• @Montreal_Music said:
    Is this just a midi controller or it has sound in it? Where does the sound come from in your video? Thanks.

It’s both. Sounds are inside, some are from the other scaper apps, pianoscaper, guitarscaper, and there’s also all sorts of lush, paddy type sounds.

• @rud said:
    @jsmonzani not sure if you can randomise the velocity in the sequencer. Only the radar, I believe, can be set to random. The new touch strip depends on where you play it and how much range you want in the velocity. Before the random velocity feature I once recorded and saved my midi into atom2 (using AUM) and then opened atom2 in audiobus, imported the midi before sending it into MF Randomiser in the midi fx slot. It was a workaround but it worked.

Thanks @rud! Yes I thought of using it as a base, then filter through a mozaic script for controlling the velocity or record it as you said. Thanks for your insight!

Also I find it a little bothersome than on chord changes, all notes are triggered again. With a piano you get this "slamming"unnatural sound. But yeah, I'll record and edit the midi manually.

• @jsmonzani you know the bit about chord changes? Are you using the ‘hold’ mode? I see that the chords retrigger if I have a few held notes but if I turn that off and play to the beat then I can just play single notes. If I’m not playing to a beat then I just change the chord manually in the right hand strip and play single notes so there’s no big chord bang.

• @rud said:
    @jsmonzani you know the bit about chord changes? Are you using the ‘hold’ mode? I see that the chords retrigger if I have a few held notes but if I turn that off and play to the beat then I can just play single notes. If I’m not playing to a beat then I just change the chord manually in the right hand strip and play single notes so there’s no big chord bang.

Thanks again @rud : yes, I was referring to when you use hold rather than playing live, exactly!

I've got to say that this app is not super intuitive and that the manual doesn't help much either, but hey, that's how things go and the video reviews of it also helped.

Thanks again for your time!

• @moodscaper I’ve been using the app extensively, mostly for ‘realistic piano’ parts and I was thinking if adding a sustain button is in your plans?

• @zah7

Is this any help? You can set it to toggle on and off....

• @rud thanks! As a work around it might do..

• Thanks @rud - that feature was designed for exactly that purpose! Hope that helps @zah7