Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Elektron + iOS joy — Looking for workflow/App suggestions/experiences

I’ve not had much luck so far getting Audiobus or AUM to stay in sync with my Machinedrum and Octatrack — but as recommended in another thread, Grooverider has been bang on if I use MD as clock source. Very fun and powerful combo!

Anyway I’m thrilled to have such a brilliant groovebox as GR16 work so well with this setup. Curious to hear how you guys get your iPads to play best with older Elektrons, and if there are other apps that receive midi clock as well as GR-16? Any setup tips would be very much appreciated.

Are there any iOS compatible midi interfaces that’ll help this setup work even better? Would love to be able to sync Sugar Bytes and other apps as flawlessly as GR works. Currently using an older version of Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 interface w/ my iPad. Midi out from MD, into OT and thru OT to iPad interface.

Comments

• I use a Digitakt with AUM, using MIDI Link Sync app to have the master be the Digitakt. It’s good enough for what I do and the app has the tools to make sure things are synchronised.
    I have a Minilogue Xd and a Behringer Pro1 connected to AUM, using AUM as the midi routing center, the sequencing is done via the Digitakt midi tracks+Atom2. Loads of fun 🥳

• Do you have an interface for your iPad? I find using AUM with my OT/DT/DN is a dream. I have the Zoom u24 rocking the iPad IO and MIDI. Like @Mathieu_, I'm rocking MIDI Link Sync to let whichever Elektron box I'm currently using to act as the clock. A lot of the time, though, AUM just acts as a FX machine and looper.

• @Mathieu_ said:
    I use a Digitakt with AUM, using MIDI Link Sync app to have the master be the Digitakt. It’s good enough for what I do and the app has the tools to make sure things are synchronised.
    I have a Minilogue Xd and a Behringer Pro1 connected to AUM, using AUM as the midi routing center, the sequencing is done via the Digitakt midi tracks+Atom2. Loads of fun 🥳

Sweet setup! I’ll have to check out MIDI Link Sync, maybe that’ll do the trick, thnx!
    P.s. You’re way more organized than I am — I need to stop buying hardware and get some stands already ;)

• @slicetwo said:
    Do you have an interface for your iPad? I find using AUM with my OT/DT/DN is a dream. I have the Zoom u24 rocking the iPad IO and MIDI. Like @Mathieu_, I'm rocking MIDI Link Sync to let whichever Elektron box I'm currently using to act as the clock. A lot of the time, though, AUM just acts as a FX machine and looper.

Currently I’m using NI Komplete Audio 6 interface w/ my ipad pro, which works great for everything but SPDIF I/O , which I can’t fully utilize due to iOS limitations. I need to eventually get a new interface, hopefully one with fiber-optic that works on iPad, for tracking digital out to my Mac’s Motu Ultralite.

Glad to hear AUM works so well clocked like this! About to give Midi Link sync a try to see if this does the trick.
    My issue might be in part due to Machinedrum being so old, not being able to keep up with the clock of newer machines. It kept drifting when I had OT as clock source, but worked much better when I gave MD the lead.

• Just tried using midi link sync to set up digitakt and AUM a with digitakt as master. Tempo sync works fine but when starting the digitakt aum remains in it’s stopped state. Is that just the way it is or am I missing something.

Thanks

Ian

• edited May 2021

@Eschatone Other candidates syncing to MIDI clock quite well:
    Audiobus 3
    Loopy HD
    Drambo
    Beatmaker 3
    Korg Gadget 2

AUM doesn't follow MIDI clock, only LINK with the known disadvantages.

• @Eschatone said:
    My issue might be in part due to Machinedrum being so old, not being able to keep up with the clock of newer machines. It kept drifting when I had OT as clock source, but worked much better when I gave MD the lead.

MD owner here. MDs don’t like being slaves really. And the clock itself is prone to a lot of jitter. (https://www.innerclocksystems.com/litmus )
    You also get the retrig bug on start sometimes. Not sure if this has been resolved in the x.04 firmware (haven’t explored it too much yet).
    So far I’ve been letting AUM be master clock and dealing……
    Sampling back into the iPad and gigging with that, but that’s mostly cause I don’t wanna have to buy another MD at current prices. :p

• edited May 2021

@AlmostAnonymous said:
    Sampling back into the iPad and gigging with that, but that’s mostly cause I don’t wanna have to buy another MD at current prices. :p

Phew, tell me about it! And here I was concerned that I might have paid a little too much of a premium for my mint MD UW+ last year, until recently discovering it’s now doubled in price. Has the electronics shortage on current gear had this much of a downstream effect on out of production classics, or is something else going on? I would have assumed Covid would have had the opposite effect, considering the depressing effect it’s had on the performance industry.

Makes me sad that Monomachine is now out of my range of reasonable $. Been fawning over that machine for years, even more so since growing to adore its brother so much.

• @rs2000 said:
    @Eschatone Other candidates syncing to MIDI clock quite well:
    Audiobus 3
    Loopy HD
    Drambo
    Beatmaker 3
    Korg Gadget 2

Great to hear, thanks for sharing! ...especially excited about the endless possibilities with Drambo—Tis a match made in heaven w/ Elektron gear =)

• @Mathieu_ said:
    I use a Digitakt with AUM, using MIDI Link Sync app to have the master be the Digitakt. It’s good enough for what I do and the app has the tools to make sure things are synchronised.

What exactly do your settings look like in AUM, MidiLinkSync and the DT? I sort of get things in sync, but then the Digitakt is running in double time....

• I'll have to get back to you tonight on this @ExAsperis99

• No rush, thank you!

• edited May 2021

So after a little session i can tell you how i have things setup:

Digitakt midi out (via usb); with send midi clock active; receive midi clock disabled
    I press play on the Digitakt
    Midi Link Sync set to Midi to Link, with clock coming from Digitakt, i enable the sync
    I stop the Digitakt, and press play again
    Midi Link Sync goes from orange sync bar to green
    AUM receives Link, I press play in AUM

This usually works well, even if you see a 0.01 tempo discrepancy, in real life it's good and stable.

• edited May 2021

Hey, this works perfectly. It was the extra stop-start of the Digitakt that I was missing. And "send transport" works well, too. Thanks.

(EDIT: Spoke too soon about the transport working within AUM, but I can live with it.)

• Yeah transport can be a problem.
    Because i sequence everything from the Digitakt I don't run into it though.
    You can always use one (or several) of the midi tracks of the Digi to launch Atom2 clips (up to 4 clips per midi tracks, since that's the midi tracks max note polyphony).

I mainly want the sync for any synth arpegios and time-synched fx so it works out for me.

Name of the game is not letting limitations hamper your fun.