Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

"Yes, another thread about Gavinski!"

I appreciate Gavinski's videos, he is passionate about iOS, and you can tell in his breakdowns of apps and workflow. Great content, keep it coming!

Comments

• Gavinski's productivity and timeliness is truly amazing. He works so hard to highlight the best of the new products and dives deep into those worth the additional attention.

• He learns the most complicated apps with the greatest of ease.. look, up in the sky! It’s a bird! It’s a plane! It’s ...

• The second greatest export from Derry, after these guys:

• Gavinsky is the new chosen one.

• wimwim
    edited May 2021

I don't even get why people have a problem with giving away promo codes in videos like these. While there may be opinions offered about the apps, most of the videos I see aren't focused on reviewing or promoting. They're primarily instructional. They take a lot of time and thought to produce, and they help people for crying out loud!

They help the developers too. The #1 thing people (not me, but real actual normal people) want the minute an app drops are videos. For a developer to produce their own takes a lot of time and a totally different skillset than developing software. It's totally worth it to toss out a few codes to get someone else to do that. Would the same people who poo-poo content creators who get promo codes to give away think that the developer would be any more "objective"??

It makes no sense. Free instructional content. A chance to see products in action without buying. Freeing up of time for developers to ... develop. What's to complain about?? Who loses? How much content would there be on YT for anything without some motivators to help content creators get started and to make a little back for their time. I mean ... wow.

I've got nothing but admiration for Gavinski and all the other content creators around here. I can't fathom complaining about any of them.

• ❤️ @Gavinski - keep up the EXCELLENT work!!!

• @Gavinski is a god in China, and the Party's chief advisor on all iOS related matters.

Seriously, one of the reasons I really trust Gavin's tutorials, is that he doesn't hesitate to point out flaws. His freedom and objectivity benefit both developers and users.

• edited May 2021

He's truly one of a kind. Noone else can take literally any preset of literally any instrument, even the most innocent one, and make it sound like a serious accident at a manufacturing plant by hitting it with 17 effects on a single AUM strip. "Experimental" he calls it, but the experi part is often quite redundant. I stan. 👌

Also, I'm not a native speaker of English and it gave me weeks of fun to try and place his accent.

• Even IF someone is sponsored or has certain benefits:
    Do your research and ask yourself if you truly need/use it. The most important thing is to think for yourself. You can not blame others for your own bad decisions. With that in mind I find Gavinski’s reviews/tutorials a worthwhile addition.

• I have a confession... When I saw the name 'Gavinski' here for the first time, I thought it was a Russianising of the name Gavin for the lols, just as someone might call me (Simon) 'Simonski' for some sort of joke Russian version of me. But then I saw that the name Gavinski is a real name (I think because YouTube might have recommended other Gavinskis to me), whereas Simonski isn't, I'm pretty sure.

I just double checked, and Gavinski is a genuine name, apparently Polish in origin. Now I have no idea if Gavinski is a semi joke name for guy whose voice sounds ummm I think Irish or maybe Scottish, or his actual name. Should I feel bad about this? Maybe. Maybe not.

And just to make matters worse, I've only this minute found out Simonski is also a real name of Bulgarian origin.

Anyway, respect to Mr G. for the vids, they are always worth a watch, and if that's your real name, sorry, and if that's not your real name, also sorry......

• edited May 2021

@SimonSomeone said:
    I have a confession... When I saw the name 'Gavinski' here for the first time, I thought it was a Russianising of the name Gavin for the lols, just as someone might call me (Simon) 'Simonski' for some sort of joke Russian version of me. But then I saw that the name Gavinski is a real name (I think because YouTube might have recommended other Gavinskis to me), whereas Simonski isn't, I'm pretty sure.

I just double checked, and Gavinski is a genuine name, apparently Polish in origin. Now I have no idea if Gavinski is a semi joke name for guy whose voice sounds ummm I think Irish or maybe Scottish, or his actual name. Should I feel bad about this? Maybe. Maybe not.

And just to make matters worse, I've only this minute found out Simonski is also a real name of Bulgarian origin.

Anyway, respect to Mr G. for the vids, they are always worth a watch, and if that's your real name, sorry, and if that's not your real name, also sorry......

-sky/ski/skiy, well their original Slavic versions anyway, are frequent suffixes for family names and also used generally to create adjectives in those languages. They usually mean "comes from" if it's a place, or "descended from" if it's a person before the suffix.

This means your child could historically be called Simonski - or Simonska(ya), the female version. Although Simonov(a) is probably more widespread in Russian.

So much about Gavinski. :)

• Adamski, Normski, Polski, apres-ski

• I've been watching @Gavinski since he started and yes, the chance to win a code for an app is a nice touch but I really find his in depth walk throughs very useful and I like his style. I know how much work he puts in to his content - and it shows. Proud to say he's become a friend (via emails anyway...) and hope he continues to do what he does best...👍

• Here's to hoping his eyesight is restored to a favorable level! Wishing the best from afar.

• Relentlessly helpful, deepest diver Gavinski!

• He’s kind of a prick 😂

• The Northern Ireland twang in his voice was first thing i noticed when i watched his videos. Not an accent you hear in videos that often

@richardyot said:
    The second greatest export from Derry, after these guys:

• Dude spends a ton of time of prep work, and it shows.

• @muzka said:
    The Northern Ireland twang in his voice was first thing i noticed when i watched his videos. Not an accent you hear in videos that often

@richardyot said:
    The second greatest export from Derry, after these guys:

I always wondered where in NI. Half my family lives in and around Belfast, but it didn’t sound like any Belfast accent. Good to find out.

Always good to listen to his videos for apps that I’m interested in.

• The lulling tones of his voice have persuaded me to buy too many music apps. For me there’s a kind of Mr. Rogers vibe to his delivery when explaining things; calm and reassuring.

• THE reason I got into ios. Heinbach said to watch his tutorial, I did, and discovered the world of ios.

I bought apps previously, but never liked using them. AUM tied it all together for me.

A true game changer for my music production being able to enjoy ios.

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    He’s kind of a prick 😂

Absolutely. He can’t help himself probing and dissecting apps until they start
    bleeding. Relentless guy. Those poor apps. Should we inform the authorities?

• Gavinski reminds me of Gilderoy Lockhart from the Harry Potter book I am reading to my son.

What a weird thread!

• Mr G is a kind reviewer and theres nothing wrong with that at all. He not only lightly explains the app but he often shows us how it can be used ... that's a gift. Mr G is a gifted teacher... he addresses his audience. Few developers are good teachers ... they tend to talk to technicians.

He also serves as a bridge between developers and users ... really interesting that. Most valuable. For all concerned.

There are "influencers for hire" out there ... running ads and promotions. Roli won an advertising industry award for using them with Blocks. They are usually very easy to spot... all gush and hype.

That touting is a long way short of what we have with the mysterious, global presence that is Gavinski... the very embodiment of Brexit... a man of the times.

That said, I have some kind suggestions:

(1)Please turn the spiel about the free codes into a text message ... a streaming banner like the news. Mention it but don't recite it every week. Others on interweb do this very well. But up front it gets in the way - buries the lead under administration .. like a school announcement... an unbalanced mix!!

(2) I'm pretty sure that relying on the piddling trickle from YouTube ad views is not a sensible or sustainable business plan. Imploring folks to watch the ads is too close to begging for comfort. Worse than busking! Let's get you some paying subscribers. Not easy. Youtube makes sure of that... they want you to be dependent on their ads.

(3) Please minimise the FX apps when you're demonstrating something else ... I want to hear what the synth or sequencer sounds like out of the box as much as possible - on its own. You use top quality FX - not everyone's got 'em. The KISS principle. And I'm envious.

Should form his own cult. Perhaps he has.

• @Gavinski is the man, i love that when i get a new app I’ve already watched a video on it and know if it is something i want and know how to start using it. Dudes honest about the apps and when he dosent know something about it he just says i don’t know but when i do I’ll update it.
    Keep ‘em coming they are on my weekly playlist and are very well produced

• I'm not a regular watcher of Gavinski's videos. They're not what I'm looking for generally. They're fine for their intended audience I reckon, but they go on a bit long for me. Nothing against Gavinski though. I don't like any of the longer videos in general.

I can recall a time when I would have really dug his approach. I think the deal is that I'm not really so much of an audio app appaholic anymore. I've acquired way too many apps and the luster of new apps just isn't there for me anymore.

I do think that he gets way too critical of an app, especially at launch and harps on about some issue that he personally doesn't care for. I think often it can dissuade some from buying an app based on the impression that the developer made some unforgivable error in their design judgement. He's entitled to his opinion of course, but I personally think it would be better if he simply said, "this particular function feels like it could be better. If the developer would consider making this change in the interface, I think it might make more sense to the average user." Or, something like that. Instead, he tends to lock in on a couple things he personally doesn't like and then hammers on them until the viewer gets the impression that this app is a big miss and likely should be skipped.

Although, I do love new innovative... creative approaches every now and then... like the Beatcutter app for example. Most other apps for me now feel pretty redundant.

So, in short... I'm not really part of the target audience for Gavinski's videos to begin with.

Still, I can appreciate that he does appear to put a lot of effort into his videos. I like that he's honest and thorough. He often comes off in the forum very defensive and like he's not being appreciated as much as he feels like he should be, and that he's not making the amount of money commiserate with the amount of work he puts into it.

As a non-Gavinski fanboy ;) and instead as someone who likes to check out apps every now and then when I have credits burning a hole in my pocket... I think Gavinski could make some changes that wouldn't require much more effort, but might yield him better return on his efforts.

1. Make 2 videos. Maybe do a quick version that's a general overview of the app, basically what it's for, what it sounds like without a bunch of extra fx added, and then a quick demo. Keep it down around the 5min mark.

Maybe he could just do a short edit of the longer version.

1. He obviously has quite a few fans who love what he does, exactly how he's doing it. Maybe put those hour+ long videos on Patreon. I'm not sure if he's even on Patreon already, but Patreon has two kinds of accounts. One where you have to convince people to subscribe monthly, and another where you charge per post. I haven't looked in awhile so they may have changed that. In the past you have to pick one or the other.

I don't think it's easy to get enough regular monthly subscribers at more that a couple bucks (if that). The way I'd do it is have the occasional free post on Patreon, but make those long videos paid posts for the super fans, and for those who like his style and find them more useful as a manual replacement.

Make the short videos the free ones on YouTube, but use YouTube as more of an audience builder to find the kind of fans who are willing to pay a little bit on Patreon for the in-depth videos.

1. I'm not a big Twitch user, but I've watched a few sessions in the recent past and I can see how Gavinski could utilize live app editing sessions for pay. I thought Twitch was pretty much just for gamers, but I've seen lots of different audio dj'ing live streams, artists who work on paintings while you watch and converse with them, etc.

I think the Twitch model of live streams for a fee could yield better return on Gavinski's time investment than the YouTube ones do. I wouldn't move away from YouTube at all, but I'd augment it with more time spent cultivating a paying fan base on Twitch and Patreon. I don't think the user base for iOS audio apps is large enough to ever get the kinds of numbers you need for YouTube to really pay off. iOS audio apps are still just too niche to get those huge audiences you need on YouTube.

I'd go more "boutique" with the Patreon and Twitch models and really cater to that quality fanbase who would likely be willing to pony up a few bucks here and there to keep the show going.

And do the short video versions. Not just because I like those better ;) but because you can use those to draw in more potential paying fans down the road.

Or...

Just completely ignore all of that and keep on keepin' on marching to your own drummer. Nothing wrong with that either. :)

• @skiphunt said:
    I'm not a regular watcher of Gavinski's videos. They're not what I'm looking for generally. They're fine for their intended audience I reckon, but they go on a bit long for me. Nothing against Gavinski though. I don't like any of the longer videos in general.

I can recall a time when I would have really dug his approach. I think the deal is that I'm not really so much of an audio app appaholic anymore. I've acquired way too many apps and the luster of new apps just isn't there for me anymore.

I do think that he gets way too critical of an app, especially at launch and harps on about some issue that he personally doesn't care for. I think often it can dissuade some from buying an app based on the impression that the developer made some unforgivable error in their design judgement. He's entitled to his opinion of course, but I personally think it would be better if he simply said, "this particular function feels like it could be better. If the developer would consider making this change in the interface, I think it might make more sense to the average user." Or, something like that. Instead, he tends to lock in on a couple things he personally doesn't like and then hammers on them until the viewer gets the impression that this app is a big miss and likely should be skipped.

Although, I do love new innovative... creative approaches every now and then... like the Beatcutter app for example. Most other apps for me now feel pretty redundant.

So, in short... I'm not really part of the target audience for Gavinski's videos to begin with.

Still, I can appreciate that he does appear to put a lot of effort into his videos. I like that he's honest and thorough. He often comes off in the forum very defensive and like he's not being appreciated as much as he feels like he should be, and that he's not making the amount of money commiserate with the amount of work he puts into it.

As a non-Gavinski fanboy ;) and instead as someone who likes to check out apps every now and then when I have credits burning a hole in my pocket... I think Gavinski could make some changes that wouldn't require much more effort, but might yield him better return on his efforts.

1. Make 2 videos. Maybe do a quick version that's a general overview of the app, basically what it's for, what it sounds like without a bunch of extra fx added, and then a quick demo. Keep it down around the 5min mark.

1. He obviously has quite a few fans who love what he does, exactly how he's doing it. Maybe put those hour+ long videos on Patreon. I'm not sure if he's even on Patreon already, but Patreon has two kinds of accounts. One where you have to convince people to subscribe monthly, and another where you charge per post. I haven't looked in awhile so they may have changed that. In the past you have to pick one or the other.

I don't think it's easy to get enough regular monthly subscribers at more that a couple bucks (if that). The way I'd do it is have the occasional free post on Patreon, but make those long videos paid posts for the super fans, and for those who like his style and find them more useful as a manual replacement.

Make the short videos the free ones on YouTube, but use YouTube as more of an audience builder to find the kind of fans who are willing to pay a little bit on Patreon for the in-depth videos.

1. I'm not a big Twitch user, but I've watched a few sessions in the recent past and I can see how Gavinski could utilize live app editing sessions for pay. I thought Twitch was pretty much just for gamers, but I've seen lots of different audio dj'ing live streams, artists who work on paintings while you watch and converse with them, etc.

I think the Twitch model of live streams for a fee could yield better return on Gavinski's time investment than the YouTube ones do. I wouldn't move away from YouTube at all, but I'd augment it with more time spent cultivating a paying fan base on Twitch and Patreon. I don't think the user base for iOS audio apps is large enough to ever get the kinds of numbers you need for YouTube to really pay off. iOS audio apps are still just too niche to get those huge audiences you need on YouTube.

I'd go more "boutique" with the Patreon and Twitch models and really cater to that quality fanbase who would likely be willing to pony up a few bucks here and there to keep the show going.

And do the short video versions. Not just because I like those better ;) but because you can use those to draw in more potential paying fans down the road.

Or...

Just completely ignore all of that and keep on keepin' on marching to your own drummer. Nothing wrong with that either. :)

Any chance of a short version of that?
    :)

• @steve99 said:

@skiphunt said:
    I'm not a regular watcher of Gavinski's videos. They're not what I'm looking for generally. They're fine for their intended audience I reckon, but they go on a bit long for me. Nothing against Gavinski though. I don't like any of the longer videos in general.

Or...

Yeah, it was a bit ‘War and Peace’… :lol:

• edited May 2021

@steve99 said:

@skiphunt said:

Or...

Make/edit short video version. Dial back harsh interface design critique. Don’t give away long version on YouTube. Instead, utilize pay-per-post/stream boutique platforms like Patreon/Twitch from super fans willing to pay. Use short free videos on YouTube as loss leader to catch/entice potential paying super fans instead of relying YouTube ad revenue from niche iOS audio app market .