Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beatly Pro, the pocket ghost producer

Comments

• @shinyisshiny said:
    its... ok. mediocre at best. no audio stem export. midi export seems to have some timing issues. The beats generated all seem to sound like 2012 Black Eyed Peas b side demos that never made the b sides bonus album.

I will definitely implement audio stem export, thanks for hint!
    Could you please elaborate the timing issues of midi export? I never noticed anything like that...
    The sound.. well yeah, I'm trying to create all samples by myself using various synths and sound banks, so I believe there is also plenty of room for improvements.

• @anickt said:
    Not seeing the entire interface on my iPad. Just the big “play” circle in the middle and the record button. Does not play a new “beat“ with each stop/start. Just the same one. 🙁

OK - There it is. Almost impossible to see the icons in normal light conditions. That needs to be fixed.

Do you think more contrast colors would help? Anyone else encountered this issue - "invisible" icons in bottom bar?

@Poppadocrock said:

@shinyisshiny said:
    @Poppadocrock it stems it out for you. at least its stemmed out when i load into ableton

Awesomeness, thanks, I was hoping so. So it’s only 2 bars max?

Yep, currently only 2 bars. I'm planning to add option to expand the bar count up to 8.

@FordTimeLord said:

@celtic_elk said:
    I haven’t figured out how to load samples or re-randomize an individual instrument within a beat, which the App Store descriptions suggests are included features. Anyone else?

The mixer view has an arrow above it that reveals those options when pressed.

Swipe up also does work :)

@AudioGus said:
    Link and core midi output would be great!

I'm adding CoreMIDI output to my TODO list, thanks! It will be a long shot however, as I'm not familiar with CoreMIDI at all...

@jolico said:
    Wish list:

• Host synced AuV3
    • AuV3 midi out per part
    • Long press on a part’s icon randomizes only that part
    • “Previous” & “Next” arrows for quick preset selection

Randomization of parts is already implemented in the menu above the mixer. Or do you mean something different?
    Previous and Next buttons to quickly change the sample? Good idea!
    AuV3 matters are new stuff for me to develop, so I will need more time to get familiar with those, but I will try my best!

@shinyisshiny said:
    @AntoninCharvat thanks for stopping in. The app is fun, but could be so much more!

As others have mentioned, it would be great to randomize individual parts of a song. I would also love to see key selection! Maybe a quantization tool as well. Check out piano motifs app if you want some inspo!

What exactly do you mean by quantization tool?

• @AntoninCharvat audio stem export would be a great addition. thank you!

as far as timing issues, stuff just seems to be jumpy / slightly off when i import into ableton. the HH's especially. This also applies to what i mean by quantization. So lets say a pattern is generated. with some triplets, at 16th notes. It would be cool to be able to select ahead of time or after the fact a different quantization.

as far as the sounds go, sorry if i sounded harsh, i was just being creative with my words that day. Im sure a lot of work went into / will go into this app. Id be happy to help donate some sounds if you need them in the future, as im sure other AB forum members would be as well. Also, if you plan on implementing some of these request/ changes, please consider putting a tip jar in the app, so we can compensate you for your work.

• Control over the drums in some way would be needed to help define the track. They're too sporadic for trap and it just kind of ends up sounding like nonsense. It's really hard to write anything to the random jumps, skips and off-beats.

Also, a "terms of use" in the app for the generated music would be nice.

• @AntoninCharvat said:
    Hello everyone,

thanks @Poppadocrock for inviting me to this forum and thank you all for interest in Beatly.
    There is a lot of wonderful ideas. I hope I will have time to implement as much as possible.
    If you have more suggestions, keep it coming!
    Btw if any of you is interested in joining my TestFlight to occasionally try some new features, just drop me a message with your Apple ID and name!

Thank you,
    Antonin

Hey man, welcome.

• @KirbyMumbo said:
    Control over the drums in some way would be needed to help define the track. They're too sporadic for trap and it just kind of ends up sounding like nonsense. It's really hard to write anything to the random jumps, skips and off-beats.

this exactly.

• @AntoninCharvat I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned but I think it would be really cool to add some multichannel core midi to drive other synths/drums/etc in AUM or any host. AUv3 and other suggestions are great but it would be great to get that midi out and driving stuff in AUM. Basically something like Piano Motifs implemented. It originally only exported midi, but the developer added core midi so you can use it in real time to trigger instruments in any host or DAW, with each instrument or part on its own individual midi channel.

• Yep. Multil channel MIDI out and this gets really interesting.

Welcome to ABF @AntoninCharvat ! 👍

• @KirbyMumbo said:
    They're too sporadic for trap and it just kind of ends up sounding like nonsense. It's really hard to write anything to the random jumps, skips and off-beats.

Huh, maybe that is why I like it.

• I think looking at the midi side of things would be very advantageous. Stuff like being able to select key, loop length (maybe 2-8, or 2-16 bars) as well as the midi out I mentioned before would put this app at another level.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    I think looking at the midi side of things would be very advantageous. Stuff like being able to select key, loop length (maybe 2-8, or 2-16 bars) as well as the midi out I mentioned before would put this app at another level.

Agreed. I'm likely not gonna use the samples unless they're crazy good. The midi is fun to tool around with though. I'd love something that generates random drum patterns.

• edited April 2021

@gusgranite said:
    Yep. Multil channel MIDI out and this gets really interesting.

Oh hang on, it already does export the midi... cool!

• I tried this app for maybe an hour and it looks (sounds) like it could be a winner. I got the app to create quite a few beats and I saved a lot of them because they sounded really good.
    Just one thing, when I exported a beat into Blocs Wave and played it, it sounded distorted.
    A useful feature to have if it could be implemented, is when exporting a beat to a wav/mp4 file the tempo and key are also exported with it. I think that’s done using meta data but I could be wrong.
    Then when a beat is imported into an app like Blocs Wave, it will know what the tempo and key is and won’t have to be entered manually.
    One other thing, when recording a beat is it possible to record exactly the two bars without having to press record start the beat and stop the beat after two bars? I tried this and exported a wav file to AudioShare and played with the loop setting on, it sounded like it was looping ok.

• @aandrewb said:
    I tried this app for maybe an hour and it looks (sounds) like it could be a winner. I got the app to create quite a few beats and I saved a lot of them because they sounded really good.
    Just one thing, when I exported a beat into Blocs Wave and played it, it sounded distorted.
    A useful feature to have if it could be implemented, is when exporting a beat to a wav/mp4 file the tempo and key are also exported with it. I think that’s done using meta data but I could be wrong.
    Then when a beat is imported into an app like Blocs Wave, it will know what the tempo and key is and won’t have to be entered manually.
    One other thing, when recording a beat is it possible to record exactly the two bars without having to press record start the beat and stop the beat after two bars? I tried this and exported a wav file to AudioShare and played with the loop setting on, it sounded like it was looping ok.

Yes. Seamless loop export would be nice.

• @jolico said:

@aandrewb said:
    I tried this app for maybe an hour and it looks (sounds) like it could be a winner. I got the app to create quite a few beats and I saved a lot of them because they sounded really good.

+1

• @jolico said:

@aandrewb said:

How would you want to account for the decay tails?

• @gusgranite said:

@gusgranite said:
    Yep. Multil channel MIDI out and this gets really interesting.

Oh hang on, it already does export the midi... cool!

Yea it does export, but real time midi out, would be cool.

• edited April 2021

@celtic_elk said:

@jolico said:

@aandrewb said:

How would you want to account for the decay tails?

“Wrap Tails” feature like in Caustic.

Easiest way I can think of is to render double the length of the loop and then chop off the first half. Instant tail wrapping :smile:

• edited April 2021

@shinyisshiny said:
    @AntoninCharvat audio stem export would be a great addition. thank you!
    as far as the sounds go, sorry if i sounded harsh, i was just being creative with my words that day. Im sure a lot of work went into / will go into this app. Id be happy to help donate some sounds if you need them in the future, as im sure other AB forum members would be as well. Also, if you plan on implementing some of these request/ changes, please consider putting a tip jar in the app, so we can compensate you for your work.

If you have some free samples you could donate, that would be most appreciated! Is there any way we could talk about it outside AB forum? Do you have e.g. Twitter?

@Poppadocrock said:
    @AntoninCharvat I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned but I think it would be really cool to add some multichannel core midi to drive other synths/drums/etc in AUM or any host. AUv3 and other suggestions are great but it would be great to get that midi out and driving stuff in AUM. Basically something like Piano Motifs implemented. It originally only exported midi, but the developer added core midi so you can use it in real time to trigger instruments in any host or DAW, with each instrument or part on its own individual midi channel.

Yes, something like this is also on my TODO list.

@Poppadocrock said:
    I think looking at the midi side of things would be very advantageous. Stuff like being able to select key, loop length (maybe 2-8, or 2-16 bars) as well as the midi out I mentioned before would put this app at another level.

All the things you mentioned are must have. It's just matter of time! :)

@aandrewb said:

Thank you! I'm not familiar with Blocs Wave. How exactly "distorted" the sound was? Does it sound normally in any other audio software?
    Thanks for the meta tag idea, putting on my TODO list!
    The export you talk about will be problematic, as the end of the loop is affected by sample release and reverb so it would not be quite seamless, but it's something I will need to figure out as many people asks for it!

@jolico said:
    Easiest way I can think of is to render double the length of the loop and then chop off the first half. Instant tail wrapping :smile:

Yes, exactly this will be my solution I guess :)

• edited April 2021

Awesome @AntoninCharvat Thanks for the assurance. Can’t wait.

You can DM in this forum if needed just tap on anyone’s screen name and their profile page will come up with a message button.

• @AntoninCharvat

More contrast would be great. With brightness all the way up I can barely see the icons at bottom of screen. See below.

• @anickt said:
    @AntoninCharvat

More contrast would be great. With brightness all the way up I can barely see the icons at bottom of screen. See below.

Wow, did you cut the bottom menu off on this image? :smiley: It's literally not there... What device are you using exactly?

• @AntoninCharvat said:

@anickt said:
    @AntoninCharvat

Wow, did you cut the bottom menu off on this image? :smiley: It's literally not there... What device are you using exactly?

It’s not cropped. If you zoom in on the bottom left and look carefully you can see the bpm. 8th generation iPad. iOS 14.4 and 14.5.

• Yea it’s like a light yellow hue.

• @Poppadocrock said:

@AntoninCharvat said:
    Hello everyone,

thanks @Poppadocrock for inviting me to this forum and thank you all for interest in Beatly.
    There is a lot of wonderful ideas. I hope I will have time to implement as much as possible.
    If you have more suggestions, keep it coming!
    Btw if any of you is interested in joining my TestFlight to occasionally try some new features, just drop me a message with your Apple ID and name!

Thank you,
    Antonin

Hey man, welcome.

+2

• @anickt said:
    It’s not cropped. If you zoom in on the bottom left and look carefully you can see the bpm. 8th generation iPad. iOS 14.4 and 14.5.

Wow, you're right.. I have never seen anything like that, neither anyone reported this before. Could you please try the light system appearance as well, so I have a clue where might be an issue? Do you have enabled any kind of system accessibility feature?

• @AntoninCharvat said:

@anickt said:

Wow, you're right.. I have never seen anything like that, neither anyone reported this before. Could you please try the light system appearance as well, so I have a clue where might be an issue? Do you have enabled any kind of system accessibility feature?

My iPad is just normal setup with dark appearance. That screenshot was taken with brightness up full. Usually I keep it around 1/3 - 1/2. No such issues with any other app at my usual settings. This screenshot is with light appearance. I never use that.

• Would this be good for scratch practice? I were going to make drum patterns on a volca drum, then switch patterns.

• edited April 2021

I can see that it's a problem for at least one user but I can see the interface very well. 2018 iPad Pro iPadOS 14.4. I have never touched my screen brightness settings either. They're on whatever it is when you buy it.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for this app. Having a lot of fun for a few bucks. Great stuff!

If I wanted to open the midi file in, say, Atom 2, how do I open them all in the same instance? Is that possible? Advisable? Sensible? Horrible? Manageable? Doable?

• @ashh said:
    I can see that it's a problem for at least one user but I can see the interface very well. 2018 iPad Pro iPadOS 14.4. I have never touched my screen brightness settings either. They're on whatever it is when you buy it.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for this app. Having a lot of fun for a few bucks. Great stuff!

Fine for me on the current beta on a 2018 pro 10.5"