Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Doctor Who

tjatja
edited April 2021 in Other

I just bought 10 seasons of the new Doctor Who series on Amazon Prime (the seasons 11 and 12 do not exist, they are from some alternative and very strange dimension ...)

As sad as it is that England left the EU, I will forever be grateful for Doctor Who and for Douglas Adams.
Those are the two names that instantly come to mind.

The first thing I watched was "An Adventure in Space and Time", which is a bit like episode zero, as it is a movie about the creation of the series. And it's fantastic.
I love all the people who made this possible.

But as suddently the eleventh Doctor Who appeared on scene and both of the Doctors nodded to each other, it really got me! Grasping for air, I rewinded to watch this scene again :-)
What a fantastic idea!

Just to bug you a bit ;-)

Comments

• I also learned, that the first episode was to air one day after the Kennedy assassination and got not much attention.
    But they re-aired before the second epsiode and this time it was a full success.

• And the role of the first Doctor was at first offered to Geoffrey Bayldon, known as Catweazle ...
    He would have fit as well.
    And he did, later in the series and in two podcasts.

• Tom Baker was the greatest Dr Who IMHO. Growing up in the 70s it was a treat to watch on a Saturday night. Even if the sets look flimsy, the sight of Dravos the leader of the Darleks sent shivers down a childs spine!

• Im the real Dr Who. I dont have any formal Dr qualifications. Thats how you know its me.

• I never saw the original series, sadly.

Can the seasons be bought somewhere?

DVD?
    As Stream?

• The Timelords - Doctorin' The Tardis (Official Video)

• @tja said:
    I never saw the original series, sadly.

Can the seasons be bought somewhere?

DVD?
    As Stream?

I saw the first cinema screening of Dr Who and the Daleks. Peter Cushion played The Doctor/ Grandfather.
    It was screened in my own grandfathers cinema in Bradford for my birthday at about 8 years old. Sald the Dudley Hill Picture Palace was the last independant cinema in Bradford to close. They could not compete with Rockers who slashed seats, Bingo and the new TV sets.

• The BBC Radiophonic Workshop have done a great job over the many years on the title music and sound effects too.

• Hi @tja ,

Not sure where in the world you are exactly, but a streaming service named BritBox [currently available in the UK, US, Canada and Australia (and announced for later this year in South Africa)] carries some amount of the original series. I don’t have it, so can’t comment on if they have any of the stories that have missing episodes (typically from the First and Second Doctors).

The BBC have released all the episodes that remain on DVD at some point in the past. Regional availability may vary. Those releases were typically a single release for a single story. There were some box sets, pairing some stories together, too. They have started releasing the series on Blu-ray in somewhat limited Series/Season sets. They include many of the extras created for the older DVDs and new content as well. They’ve recently announced that less limited versions would be released in the UK with all the same on-disc content.

In some ways, it is a very different show to the reboot, so you might need to temper any expectations. You might find you think the new entire new series is “from some alternative and very strange dimension” or you might feel that about the original series.

Hope this helps!

• Best thing about Dr Who was the theme music ... a clarion call every week! Absolute dog-whistle of a tune.

Got me interested in tapes and electronic music way back then.

Here's the inside story of the BBC RadioPhonic Workshop and how they assembled that haunting sound ...

Incidentally, the characteristic dang-de-dang dang-de-dang "bass line" comes from a metal ruler twanged on a desk. Ron Grainer - an Australian - wrote it ... then just told everyone else to go and make it as best they could. And their best was, as always, superb.

• @u0421793 said:
    The Timelords - Doctorin' The Tardis (Official Video)

I didn’t like this when I first heard it, but it grew on me and I really like just about everything those guys released since then.

• edited April 2021

For someone new to Dr Who (which I followed avidly from Tom Baker through to Sylvester McCoy - I still remember being shocked/mesmerised by Tom Baker’s regeneration as Peter Davison- after that I considered myself too old for it...) I’d try to watch the film ‘The Five Doctors’ from 1983. It features the first 5 Doctors (although the very first one had to be recast as William Hartnell had died) along with the classic villains.
    Gives you a good idea as to the vibe of the first 20 years of the program and isn’t half bad for a 1980s feature-length BBC TV show.

• @PhilW said:
    The BBC Radiophonic Workshop have done a great job over the many years on the title music and sound effects too.

Never got into watching it but I liked listening to it while playing with Legos as a kid. The Radiophonic Workshop is amazing.

• @MrFromage said:
    Hi @tja ,

Not sure where in the world you are exactly, but a streaming service named BritBox [currently available in the UK, US, Canada and Australia (and announced for later this year in South Africa)] carries some amount of the original series. I don’t have it, so can’t comment on if they have any of the stories that have missing episodes (typically from the First and Second Doctors).

The BBC have released all the episodes that remain on DVD at some point in the past. Regional availability may vary. Those releases were typically a single release for a single story. There were some box sets, pairing some stories together, too. They have started releasing the series on Blu-ray in somewhat limited Series/Season sets. They include many of the extras created for the older DVDs and new content as well. They’ve recently announced that less limited versions would be released in the UK with all the same on-disc content.

In some ways, it is a very different show to the reboot, so you might need to temper any expectations. You might find you think the new entire new series is “from some alternative and very strange dimension” or you might feel that about the original series.

Hope this helps!

I'm in Old Europe and will try to seek out the DVDs.
    It may be wise to not buy a whole bunch then, but first check how I like it.

Thanks for your hints!

• @TimRussell said:
    For someone new to Dr Who (which I followed avidly from Tom Baker through to Sylvester McCoy - I still remember being shocked/mesmerised by Tom Baker’s regeneration as Peter Davison- after that I considered myself too old for it...) I’d try to watch the film ‘The Five Doctors’ from 1983. It features the first 5 Doctors (although the very first one had to be recast as William Hartnell had died) along with the classic villains.
    Gives you a good idea as to the vibe of the first 20 years of the program and isn’t half bad for a 1980s feature-length BBC TV show.

The Five Doctors seems to be a good choice then, when checking out the original series.
    Thanks 🤗

• Watched it between start of Pertwee to late Tom Baker. Wasn’t that impressed with it after the 70s, although I’ve liked a few of them since the relaunch. Thought David Tennant and Peter Capaldi did well.

• This is really interesting!

• edited April 2021

To watch the classic series, download the Pluto TV App to your ipad and or Roku device.
    They stream it in their classic TV section,

Free but with commercials

• @ralis said:
    the Puto TV App

Sounds like a rather risqué app... 😂

• @michael_m said:

@ralis said:
    the Puto TV App

Pluto.
    Like Mickey Mouse’s poor dog that doesn’t speak, goes around on all fours, doesn’t wear clothes. Not even headgear.

I think he will snap one day.

• @Sandstorm said:
    This is really interesting!

Wonderful. Dream job! 👍

• @Spidericemidas said:

@Sandstorm said:
    This is really interesting!

Wonderful. Dream job! 👍

Yes! The good ole days when Analogue ruled the world. :)

• @JeffChasteen said:

@michael_m said:

@ralis said:
    the Puto TV App

Pluto.
    Like Mickey Mouse’s poor dog that doesn’t speak, goes around on all fours, doesn’t wear clothes. Not even headgear.

I think he will snap one day.

Corrected thanks

• @ralis said:
    To watch the classic series, download the Pluto TV App to your ipad and or Roku device.

OMG, if that would be true :smile:

I installed the App, but could not find any search option. Then i scrolled around to find Doctor Who visually, but it seems that it does not get streamed ... at least not now.

Going to check from time to time.

Thanks for the hint!

• Yeah Tom Baker was the best.
    I've met Bernard Lodge the designer who created the original title sequence, which was quite influential, along with the music.

• @tja said:

@ralis said:

OMG, if that would be true :smile:

I installed the App, but could not find any search option. Then i scrolled around to find Doctor Who visually, but it seems that it does not get streamed ... at least not now.

Going to check from time to time.

Thanks for the hint!

I guess the app must be different, it is definitely on my roku

• Even if you don’t get a search option, go to on demand and scroll through to ‘Sci-FI TV’, then scroll through the shows until you get to ‘Show all’. It should be listed in there.

• edited April 2021

I will try that!

• Amazon Prime offers some Classic mini series, mostly 4 episodes around a topic.

I bought some already about the fourth doctor, but did not gel well so far.

I liked the fifth doctor in that Doctor Tristan role and will buy some of that too.