Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ID700 IS HERE

Comments

• version 1.2 was just approved on the app store and should be available now. changelog:

• Remove JUCE splash screen
    • Fix double-clicking on .idpreset and .idwave files in iOS
    • Add voice count setting
    • Add duplicate note mode setting
    • Documentation updates
    • Increase font weight / size
    • Fix smoothed/stepped random ranges
    • Add preset auto panic setting
    • Fix Location panning math bug
  • @auxmux said:
    @modosc I'm having an issue transferring AU presets from one iPad to another. I exported to iCloud ( also tried Dropbox ) but they are not opening when I click on them. Is there another process for importing presets?

this is fixed in 1.2

• @modosc said:

@auxmux said:
    @modosc I'm having an issue transferring AU presets from one iPad to another. I exported to iCloud ( also tried Dropbox ) but they are not opening when I click on them. Is there another process for importing presets?

this is fixed in 1.2

Awesome, thanks, will test this.

• I don’t have any experience with West Coat type synths other than maybe some time with Ripplemaker, but I love the way ID700 sounds. I’d like to put in a request for a lighter theme with @modosc though, my eyes have a hard time with the dark interfaces these days.

But wow, sounds so good!

• Bought sounds great. High cpu on my ipad but ipad is weird. Sometimes dsp is lower on 128 buffer than it is on 1024 buffer. Definately a cpu downgrade on latest os but maybe for stabilty. As it now seems less flaky. That said I put ID700 through phasedelay array and apart from ID700 being way more than a volca drum. Like other synths maybe through phasedelayarray can also make similar sounds ( maybe its just the effect ) That said Volca drum sounds super similat to some ID700 patches through the effect but the volca drum at the mo seems easier to tweak because I havent a clue about ID700. Thanks though.

• Buchla drum.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Lost hours tonight with morphing drones running through a 32 second IR capture from a cistern. I set up cc mapping to the waveshaper slots and ran slow LFOs into them while I turned and twisted knobs to control other parameters.

32 seconds? Great Scott! Was it from the Inchindown oil tanks?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inchindown_oil_tanks

• @sigma79 said:
    Buchla drum.

Thinking about getting another Volca Drum or Modular.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@espiegel123 said:
    Lost hours tonight with morphing drones running through a 32 second IR capture from a cistern. I set up cc mapping to the waveshaper slots and ran slow LFOs into them while I turned and twisted knobs to control other parameters.

No. From Ft Worden. Altiverb has a set of IRs from there.

• edited April 2021

@Philandering_Bastard said:

@sigma79 said:
    Buchla drum.

Thinking about getting another Volca Drum or Modular.

Have you got drum or modular? Theres the pluto which sounds like a modular maybe. Not sure what would be best if you have drum and modular already. A drum plus modular, plus a drum through effects or a drum and modular x2 x patched. Need to find out more about the headphone out of ipad to cv volca modular. Not sure what Id gain. I guess if it can be sequenced from the drambo out module. It might be cool. What if you can euclidean the modular, then sync out to drum. Do you gain tempo or is euclidean a tempo illusion?

• I'm mildly obsessed with this synth.

• edited April 2021

@modosc I made a StreamByter script to generate and send the 14-bit CCs described in the documentation. They seem to work fine in general, but the effect on the time scaling and main out knobs is flakey. For example, main out switches from max for the value pair (5A 7F) to min for (5B 00), a change of 1 LSB. Are the MSB and LSB incorrectly exchanged for the knobs? I haven't tried the other knobs. The sliders are working fine, by the way.

Edit: Yes, that's it. I hacked the script to send the LSB on the lower-numbered CC, MSB on the higher, and time scaling and main out work perfectly.

Also, MIDI channel filtering is inactive for the AUv3, so ID700 sees all messages from my script, some of which are meant for the controller. AUM provides input channel filtering, so that works, but it's a problem in Audiobus.

• @uncledave said:
    @modosc I made a StreamByter script to generate and send the 14-bit CCs described in the documentation. They seem to work fine in general, but the effect on the time scaling and main out knobs is flakey. For example, main out switches from max for the value pair (5A 7F) to min for (5B 00), a change of 1 LSB. Are the MSB and LSB incorrectly exchanged for the knobs? I haven't tried the other knobs. The sliders are working fine, by the way.

Edit: Yes, that's it. I hacked the script to send the LSB on the lower-numbered CC, MSB on the higher, and time scaling and main out work perfectly.

nice catch. it was indeed broken for algorithm, time scaling, fine tuning, and main out. i'll have a fix for this in the next release.

Also, MIDI channel filtering is inactive for the AUv3, so ID700 sees all messages from my script, some of which are meant for the controller. AUM provides input channel filtering, so that works, but it's a problem in Audiobus.

i'll take a look at this.

• This is a great synth. UI design is fantastic for something that could potentially be very messy, and it sounds top-class. Very rare to get a truly unique synth these days; there’s literally nothing else like it out there.

• Yep. Nothing like a volca drum. Obviously lol. Seems like it will be good played on keys.

• @modosc would it be possible to add point modulation for a point’s time at some stage? The modulation options are already outstanding but this is one I keep looking for as I constantly have I patched up on my main rig.

Also I think it was mentioned before, some sort of sync for the envelopes would be cool but I get that it might not be something you want to add, considering the thought process behind the scaling.
    One idea I had would be to add an option to a points time parameter, to make it snap to a grid (ie. a certain number of beats/bars between points based on host tempo) but as always with these requests, I have no idea who feasible something like this is or if it even fits with the design ethos.

Side note, I really love that this has no built in effects. This can really change how you approach the sound design of a patch which is neat. It means I don’t always just “cheat” by just immediately adding reverb and delay to spice things up and it also makes me consider my effects more carefully too. Plus the pay off of whacking on your fav reverb to a blossoming patch idea will never not be rewarding af.

• edited April 2021

@espiegel123 said:

Here is an improvised nightmare. One ID700 and 32 second reverb IR from a large empty cistern.

• @espiegel123 thanks, really enjoyed those sounds

• @modosc said:
    version 1.2 was just approved on the app store and should be available now. changelog:

• Remove JUCE splash screen

Hi @modosc ,
    So you used JUCE for programming your app ? Did you ever consider AudioKit instead ?
    AudioKit seems very obscur to me. I tried to create a very simple resonator synth and got immediate results with JUCE whereas AudioKit never gave me that freedom (although it should be possible).
    So I was curious to know what were the reasons that made you chose one framework rather than the other...
    Sorry to hack this thread toward dev considerations... 😗

• edited April 2021

@espiegel123 said:

@espiegel123 said:

Here is an improvised nightmare. One ID700 and 32 second reverb IR from a large empty cistern.

Really good mate. Would like to know how you control. Just tweaking frequencies? Speaking of Dr Who. This synth is hard to decipher which planet or dimension its from. Obviously Earth but with most wierd synths overal character you could maybe say. Not so sure with ID700. Its organic but also machine. Might be as iconic as the Krell patch. ( duh obviously some keys )

• You named it Flowers of the Abyss. Perfect.

• @Gavinski said:
    @espiegel123 thanks, really enjoyed those sounds

+1. Well done, nice work! Cheers, ED

• @sigma79 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@espiegel123 said:

Really good mate. Would like to know how you control. Just tweaking frequencies? Speaking of Dr Who. This synth is hard to decipher which planet or dimension its from. Obviously Earth but with most wierd synths overal character you could maybe say. Not so sure with ID700. Its organic but also machine. Might be as iconic as the Krell patch. ( duh obviously some keys )

Re: controlling ID700. This recording used a single preset (the straight version is the first note — kind of a standard synth bass patch) which I tweaked in performance. There are a few ways in which I manipulated the patch.

I have a Mozaic script that translates the dials on my Launchkey Mini (Mark 2) controller to different MIDI CCs depending on which of the Launchkey’s 16 pads are pressed. I’ve set it up to be able to control every aspect of the ID700 (including the waveshaper transfer harmonics). This setup gives me 128 CCs controllable via the 8 knobs and 16 pads.

I also set up some very low frequency LFOs (using Drambo as a MIDI-only effect) which were mapped to a few of the waveshaper harmonics. I have it set up to be subtle — it provides some subtle natural variation of the sound.

The patch is set up to respond to MPE — I mapped pressure to the filter cutoff for subtle per-note changes of the filter cutoff. But a lot of the filter changes were done with the dials on my Launchkey.

At several points, I am changing the algorithm as I play (with a dial on the Launchkey).

I am also tweaking in the ID700 interface itself.

At various points, the oscillator frequencies (usually the modulating oscillator frequency) are being changed along with the related indexes. I used both the knobs and ID700 interface to do that.

• @SpartanClownTide said:
    I'm mildly obsessed with this synth.

That makes two of us! There’s more I’m sure...

@modosc Thank you for this amazing instrument!

• found a small problem — can't save sessions with different tunings. at least in aum

• @vasilymilovidov said:
    found a small problem — can't save sessions with different tunings. at least in aum

Do you mean that if you save a session in AUM that the tuning isn’t restored when you reopen the session?

According to the manual, the tuning is a global setting and not part of a preset.

• @espiegel123 said:

@vasilymilovidov said:
    found a small problem — can't save sessions with different tunings. at least in aum

According to the manual, the tuning is a global setting and not part of a preset.

oh, ok, i wasn’t sure if that was by design.

• @vasilymilovidov said:

@espiegel123 said:

@vasilymilovidov said:

oh, ok, i wasn’t sure if that was by design.

I think by design they aren’t part of the presets, because one probably wants to keep the same tuning when switching between presets during a session.

@modosc: that being said, I do wonder if there might be a mechanism to save the tuning as part of the AU’s state without it being part of the presets?

• version 1.3 was just approved on the app store and should be available now. changelog:

• Update Documentation
    • Add MIDI Program Change and Bank Select support
    • Fix occasional AUv3 crash on host-initiated Program Change
    • Fix broken CC control of algorithm, time scaling, fine tuning, and main out
    • Add Program Change access to User Presets

• @uncledave said:

this is fixed in 1.3.0