Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

LRC7 by Neon Silicon

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1562010770

Description:

LRC7 is an Audio Unit, or AU, for iOS and macOS. This application is simply a container for the Audio Unit and serves only as the documentation. LRC7 must be used in some sort of Audio Unit host or DAW application.

LRC7 is a seven-band EQ. It includes low shelf, high shelf, parametric peak/cut, notch, and various Butterworth low-pass and high-pass filters. Each of the bands can be configured to be any of the available filter types. Each band can also be turned off so that it passes the audio through unchanged, The frequency range for each of the filters is 10 Hz to 20 kHz. The filters aren't restricted to stay in any order. You can also set the "Q" factor of each of the filters. The value ranges from 0.0 to 1.0. The Q values behave differently in the different filter types.

Details:
Universal: Yes
Minimum OS version: 13.4
Rated: 0 based on 0 votes

Comments

• Wait, 7? @NeonSilicon You did it again. Thanks for this.

• Why is this free? This looks like a Very nice Eq. The older I get the pickier I get about my Eq-ing. For me, this is appealing because it’s super tiny (thus lightweight?) and I can set one Eq for Vocals, Guitar, whatever, and use it on any and all DAWs. I know I should never hope for an upgrade on a free app, but I wonder if @NeonSilicon would consider adding Dynamic Equalization? That the only thing I see that I’d ever want to add.

• OK now that I’ve downloaded the app and YouTubed some research on Butterworth filters I think I understand why dynamic processing of an EQ point may not be advantageous to this particular type of filter. I also understand why this may sound better than other Bessel-type Eqs that are now on the App Store.

• See, I said in another thread that this forum would know my AU was out before I did. I think this hit here before I saw availability of LRC7 in the App Store. I wasn't sure it was going to make it out this week. It got rejected last night. I'm batting 5 for 6 on app store rejection on initial release now. But, this one only needed me asking why once before they released it.

It's available for download on my website for macOS too if you want to use it there.

@NoiseHorse I don't know. I'd never thought about it. I don't like to step too far into the space of people who are trying to make a living off of this, so I might not. But, I will think about it.

• @NoiseHorse said:
    OK now that I’ve downloaded the app and YouTubed some research on Butterworth filters I think I understand why dynamic processing of an EQ point may not be advantageous to this particular type of filter. I also understand why this may sound better than other Bessel-type Eqs that are now on the App Store.

Yeah, I restricted it to Butterworth because they are smooth and natural (at least if you ask me). These won't be able to be as steep as an elliptic for example, but they won't suffer from ringing and similar artifacts as easily. I see a lot of young people using LRC5 and I kinda hope this will influence people to take the least intrusive as possible approach when they move to using more aggressive filters for cutting and shaping.

• thanks man,i love LRC5,this will be my new fav EQ

• Thanks so much @NeonSilicon ❤️

• Thank you @NeonSilicon . As a happy user of LRC5, welcoming a new version very much.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@NoiseHorse said:
    OK now that I’ve downloaded the app and YouTubed some research on Butterworth filters I think I understand why dynamic processing of an EQ point may not be advantageous to this particular type of filter. I also understand why this may sound better than other Bessel-type Eqs that are now on the App Store.

Yeah, I restricted it to Butterworth because they are smooth and natural (at least if you ask me). These won't be able to be as steep as an elliptic for example, but they won't suffer from ringing and similar artifacts as easily. I see a lot of young people using LRC5 and I kinda hope this will influence people to take the least intrusive as possible approach when they move to using more aggressive filters for cutting and shaping.

Thank you so much for this fine app. It performs beautifully.

• OboObo
    edited April 2021

Wow, this looks super legit. I have a noob question, possibly for @NeonSilicon but I’m sure others could probably answer too. For someone who is not super well-versed in using EQs, would it be better to start out using LRC5 or just dive right in? I’m not clear on the differences between the two honestly. I use EQ’s plenty but I don’t pretend to know all the different functions

I always prep myself when I visit this forum, if it’s been a few days, I’m probably going to end up with a new app. Pretty big bonus when they’re also free! Thanks man!

• @Obo said:
    Wow, this looks super legit. I have a noob question, possibly for @NeonSilicon but I’m sure others could probably answer too. For someone who is not super well-versed in using EQs, would it be better to start out using LRC5 or just dive right in? I’m not clear on the differences between the two honestly. I use EQ’s plenty but I don’t pretend to know all the different functions

I always prep myself when I visit this forum, if it’s been a few days, I’m probably going to end up with a new app. Pretty big bonus when they’re also free! Thanks man!

I'll give you my view on this, but really, if you play with them and listen to how a particular filter type responds, you'll hear how you want to use them. One thing I find instructive is to take a white noise source and then experiment with filters on that.

I don't consider LRC7 to be a replacement for LRC5. They do overlap and LRC7 can do everything LRC5 can. But, LRC5 is more efficient when you are using the five bands of EQ and not the filter types that are only in LRC7. The UI for LRC5 doesn't let you cut as deeply but that means that the touch controls on LRC5 have more space for the amount of cut (or gain) they do have.

If you want to really cut the low end or completely notch out a frequency, LRC5 can't do that. If you only want to shape a frequency area, then they are about the same. LRC7 has the resonant filter types that LRC5 doesn't, but those aren't going to be used as often for a parametric EQ type setting.

On the really practical side, LRC5 has been around for awhile. The audio code in LRC5 is probably 18 years old now. LRC7 is completely new in everything except the presets. The UI is new and the audio processing is using a new path I'm experimenting with. It should be pretty stable, but LRC5 is more of a known quantity.

Hope that helps some.

• Holy Cow this sounds fantastic! You’ve made my day @NeonSilicon thank you a bunch.

• A must!!! Thx

• Thanks for all the nice comments. I really appreciate it.

Please let me know if it breaks or crashes too, especially if you happen to try it on macOS.

• @NoiseHorse said:

I personally don't yet feel like I'm missing out much on the dynamic eq, but that could just be that I haven't quite experienced the power/convenience of it. I use some light filter-sidechained compressors sometimes and it seem to be working ok.

That being said, if it's not too big a leap perhaps having a sort of filter-sidechain trigger setting to the notch filters could be quite cool

@NeonSilicon thanks again for this. I'll save the full gospel for later when I find myself haven't reaching for any other eq for months, which I suspect quite likely :)

• @NeonSilicon : thank you so much for this! LRC5 has long been my go to for aggressive, creative EQ over other, paid for eqs I have because I just find it so interactive and rewarding to use ‘by ear.’ I look forward to exploring LRC7 similarly. :)

• This looks great, can’t wait to try it out. Thank you @NeonSilicon

• Thanks again for the comments everyone.

Assuming it doesn't get rejected, there's an updated version that should come out today or tomorrow with a couple of bug fixes and some additional gestures that have been added. @Cyndilov I was able to add double-click on the control point to return it to an off state.

The UI gestures and such on this are getting complex. I'm really interested in feedback on how people feel about using gestures in an AU setting in general and how well they work in LRC7. So, please let me know what you think.

• Reporting back - it's been working out quite well, though there's a few things I find might take a bit of getting used to that might be worth being aware of:

• Double tapping to turn on a node sometimes also selects the node, but not always. The difference seen to be on the second tap - if it's very quick the node doesn't get selected
    • Triple tapping toggles a node back (ie nothing happens if it was originally off, but if it was originally on it gets reset to its default filter type). This could take a bit of getting used to when working fast because you would want to turn a node on and then drag it (for which the gesture would now actually be double-tap while holding it on the second tap, and drag)
    • Double tapping to turn on two nodes consecutively (while making sure they're selected) would have them both selected. This could be useful sometimes
    • Two finger long-press and swipe-up can be very convenient, but you'd need to make sure the fingers stay still because sometimes it turns into a pinch

I'm not sure if these are good things or not myself to be honest. Might need a bit longer to be able to tell. Double-tap to turn off a node sends it back to default can get confusing when a node is drag to a different position relative to other nodes, but I'm aware that it might take quite some extra chucks of code now to 'remember' a node's state before it get double-tap turned off.

I'm quite interested by this now actually. It makes me think about how I actually want to interact with it

• @Cyndilov said:
    Reporting back - it's been working out quite well, though there's a few things I find might take a bit of getting used to that might be worth being aware of:

Thanks! This is very useful. The problem with being your own tester is that you know what you think it's supposed to do.

• Double tapping to turn on a node sometimes also selects the node, but not always. The difference seen to be on the second tap - if it's very quick the node doesn't get selected

I'd consider this a bug. I'm not sure I can fix it though.

• Triple tapping toggles a node back (ie nothing happens if it was originally off, but if it was originally on it gets reset to its default filter type). This could take a bit of getting used to when working fast because you would want to turn a node on and then drag it (for which the gesture would now actually be double-tap while holding it on the second tap, and drag)

I hadn't thought about triple taps. Double-tap-and-drag is the way I thought about this. That should work. I'll have to see if I can threshold out triple taps faster than I do now.

• Double tapping to turn on two nodes consecutively (while making sure they're selected) would have them both selected. This could be useful sometimes

The version that is currently stuck in the app store approval process has a change in the way multiple select works. So, it might change the way you think about this part.

• Two finger long-press and swipe-up can be very convenient, but you'd need to make sure the fingers stay still because sometimes it turns into a pinch

I've changed swipe-up to a three-finger-tap. This really helps avoid issues with tracking. I also changed some settings that should make all the gestures a little less twitchy.

I'm not sure if these are good things or not myself to be honest. Might need a bit longer to be able to tell. Double-tap to turn off a node sends it back to default can get confusing when a node is drag to a different position relative to other nodes, but I'm aware that it might take quite some extra chucks of code now to 'remember' a node's state before it get double-tap turned off.

It wouldn't actually be too bad to change this. I've already considered it and had a look at the code to see where I need to change things. The only real complication is interacting with preset and host changes. This part gets complicated because I've got no control of what happens -- makes UI dev fun and interesting.

I'm quite interested by this now actually. It makes me think about how I actually want to interact with it

Yeah, this is really a big part of why I'm doing these AU's. I'm trying to figure out how to make the touch UI work well in this setting.

I'm also looking into how to add some configuration of the gestures by the user. Even something as simple as how fast a double-tap needs to be can be complex for accessibility.

Hopefully Apple will review the new version soon so that it can get out there and I can see if the new changes are helpful.

Thanks again for your feedback.

• Thank you! I will use this a LOT

• @NeonSilicon A Great addition to the sound shaping toolkit.. Thank you.. 🙏

• @NeonSilicon tnx 4 app!!!!very usefull!!

• Very, very happy with this. Can’t say I’m anywhere near knowledgeable on eqing, but I prefer this over the many other apps simply because to my limited ears it sounds equal but is just so satisfying to use. Thanks!

• Thanks again for the comments everyone.

The new version should be out everywhere now. I'm really interested in what people think about the change to the way multi-select works. I noticed on quite a few videos of both LRC5 and LRC7 that accidentally having two filters selected during an edit was pretty common, so I decided to try out this new way of allowing for multiple filter edits.

• Just trying this out. Very much appreciate your work. Thank you.

• Many thanks @NeonSilicon for this and your other great free apps. I have been using them a lot recently and really appreciate the effort you have put into them and the results they produce.

• I like the new update. The buttons are a lot more intuitive and I’m no longer adjusting two buttons together by mistake. This is an unbelievably clean and precise sounding EQ, I’m using it on everything now.

• New update's working much more smoothly now! The M button ended up making a huge difference.

@NeonSilicon Would be really great if you manage to have the node remember its state. The next best thing I can think of to still reduce confusion here might be to reset the defaults according to the relative positions of the nodes (ie when double-tap turn on a node the default is base on it's position at that time among the other nodes)

Simple user config of gestures could probably help quite a bit too, for example with the triple tap that for whatever reason I keep doing... But really this update has already smoothed out the main stuff I mentioned

• Thanks for the comments and feedback everyone.

After a bit more testing, I'm going to put out a new beta that adds a configuration panel to the docs/container app that gives some control over how the gestures and default filters work. The changes are described on a new page in the docs app. I had to enable the app and the AU to be able to write into a shared space. This should work fine, but I haven't put this into production before so I guess it could break things.

I've changed the double-tap off to save the current state of the filter and the next double tap on will reset the filter to that state. I've made it so that preset loading and document-style loading from hosts reset the saved EQ band setting to the default values. It feels more consistent this way to me.

@Cyndilov, I've tried to trap out the triple-tap issue. I'm not sure how well that is going to work. There is also a configuration setting now that allows for setting the double-tap threshold timing. Going to a shorter time than the default might help if the triple-tap filtering I've added doesn't help. It might make it unusably fast though too.