Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• @wim said:
    Shit. Launchpad is becoming an essential like no other on iOS. I managed to talk my self out of it so far, but resolve is steadily weakening.

How can colorful illuminated buttons not attract? :p
    Choosing between desktop and couch though, iPad only usually wins.

• Hello from Chile!

I just knew about this wonderful groovebox and I'm in love, I've already made already 31 patterns on different leves of completion, and I'm loving it!

I made one jam here: and this is an unlisted video where I show some patterns I did on two nights:

I'm so happy I'm making music!

I have a couple question for you guys that use this app for a longer time:

• How does the midi mapping of the encoder works? Do you know any iOS app that can be mapped to it?
    • Is it possible to map the mute pads/trigger/keys directly from an external controller (without switching mode)?
    • Is it possible to map the pads when on "key" mode instead of directly the notes, as I have to change the notes for the controller to work on the other modes according to the manual
    • Has there any attempts on making a hardware controller for GR-16? I would love a mini controller with an encoder, the 4 navigation buttons and the shift, parts, mute, erase... all those buttons that are so small that I sometimes miss them

Anyway, I will continue reading this thread from the beginning.

Cheers!

• edited June 2021

@cokomairena said:

• How does the midi mapping of the encoder works? Do you know any iOS app that can be mapped to it?

Hi there!
    You can enable it from the Settings page or just quickly tap any encoder 3 times. You can use apps like Lemur, TouchOSC, Knob Lab, Sonic Logic and probably there are some free ones too

@cokomairena said:

• Is it possible to map the mute pads/trigger/keys directly from an external controller (without switching mode)?

I'm a bit confused. You mean you want to map those buttons to your midi controller? Just go into midi mapping mode and tap the button to map it

@cokomairena said:

• Is it possible to map the pads when on "key" mode instead of directly the notes, as I have to change the notes for the controller to work on the other modes according to the manual

If I understand your question correctly: if you want to play any part (not just the selected part) using a keyboard, you need to switch to Poly mode, as described in the manual

@cokomairena said:

• Has there any attempts on making a hardware controller for GR-16? I would love a mini controller with an encoder, the 4 navigation buttons and the shift, parts, mute, erase... all those buttons that are so small that I sometimes miss them

Support for Launchpad Pro MK3 was added in the last version. You can use any other generic MIDI controller, but finding a good match won't be easy - no generic midi controller will give you that full GR-16 experience. If you want hardware, maybe have a look at the Korg Volca line

• Thank you very much for your response @yug

To clarify some things:

@yug said:

@cokomairena said:

Hi there!
    You can enable it from the Settings page or just quickly tap any encoder 3 times. You can use apps like Lemur, TouchOSC, Knob Lab, Sonic Logic and probably there are some free ones too

Yes, I did that, I can get it to work with a normal knob but I don't know how to make it an infinite knob. What midi information does it expect?

@cokomairena said:

I'm a bit confused. You mean you want to map those buttons to your midi controller? Just go into midi mapping mode and tap the button to map it

Sorry again, english is not my native language, what I want is to map a pad on my controller that ALWAYS mute part 1, another pad that ALWAYS mute part 2 and so on independently of what "page" I'm in. I really don't think this is possible

@cokomairena said:

If I understand your question correctly: if you want to play any part (not just the selected part) using a keyboard, you need to switch to Poly mode, as described in the manual

I know about poly mode, that assigns one midi channel to each part, but it is not what I want.

I want to have PAD 1 on my controller to play the note assigned to PAD 1 on Groove Rider and so on.

Right now if I send a C1 note on TRIGGER MODE it activates PAD 1, C#1 PAD2 and so on.

I would like to have this exact same behavior on KEYS MODE, because as far as I can tell when I send C1 and C#1 notes to the KEY mode it actually plays C1 and C#1, which is kinda logical, but I don't understand how to map a controller with this setup, as I would need one midi mapping for KEYS mode and another different for TRIGGER and MUTE mode.

@cokomairena said:

Support for Launchpad Pro MK3 was added in the last version. You can use any other generic MIDI controller, but finding a good match won't be easy - no generic midi controller will give you that full GR-16 experience. If you want hardware, maybe have a look at the Korg Volca line

I would really like to have the navigation, shift and mode buttons on a controller, I'm looking into making it myself, but I know nothing about it. The pads work great on the screen and swiping for muting also is excellent!

Maybe it is possible to emulate the Launchpad Pro in some ways to have more midi control?

Yesterday I made my 32th pattern with GR-16, and I'm so hyped!

• @wim said:
    Shit. Launchpad is becoming an essential like no other on iOS. I managed to talk my self out of it so far, but resolve is steadily weakening.

Most useful controller I ever bought. I was resistant to it at first but absolutely no regrets getting one. If I had two, I’d have almost no need for anything else

• @cokomairena said:
    Thank you very much for your response @yug

To clarify some things:

Yes, I did that, I can get it to work with a normal knob but I don't know how to make it an infinite knob. What midi information does it expect?

Which app did you try? I have TouchOSC and I can make endless encoders with it

@cokomairena said:
    Sorry again, english is not my native language, what I want is to map a pad on my controller that ALWAYS mute part 1, another pad that ALWAYS mute part 2 and so on independently of what "page" I'm in. I really don't think this is possible

Don't be sorry, not my native language too :)
    That's easy. Go to the mixer page and map Mute buttons there

@cokomairena said:
    I know about poly mode, that assigns one midi channel to each part, but it is not what I want.

I want to have PAD 1 on my controller to play the note assigned to PAD 1 on Groove Rider and so on.

Right now if I send a C1 note on TRIGGER MODE it activates PAD 1, C#1 PAD2 and so on.

I would like to have this exact same behavior on KEYS MODE, because as far as I can tell when I send C1 and C#1 notes to the KEY mode it actually plays C1 and C#1, which is kinda logical, but I don't understand how to map a controller with this setup, as I would need one midi mapping for KEYS mode and another different for TRIGGER and MUTE mode.

I see. Looks like it can't be done easily, but you may be able to make it work with some MIDI processing magic. Using scripting apps like Mozaic or StreamByter

It would work like this:
    1. You need to change what notes your pads send to GR-16. Make them send CC messages or maybe some very high notes (C7-D#8)
    2. The script will analyze midi input, make changes and then send it to GR-16. So, the logic: receive CC/midi note; if it's from one of the pads -> send CC to switch to TRIGGER mode, convert CC to MIDI note that will trigger that pad (or do nothing if using C7-D#8) and send it; send CC to switch back to KEYS mode

I think that should work for switching between different parts, but probably won't be good for finger drumming on the pads.
    Well, can't have everything :) It might work fine, if you would use pads for switching and keys for playing or if you have a controller with more than 16 pads. Like the Launchpad

Maybe try it first with some free app, before buying one of the apps I mentioned

@cokomairena said:
    I would really like to have the navigation, shift and mode buttons on a controller, I'm looking into making it myself, but I know nothing about it. The pads work great on the screen and swiping for muting also is excellent!

Maybe it is possible to emulate the Launchpad Pro in some ways to have more midi control?

Building a midi controller yourself is certainly possible, but it requires some skill and experience.
    Another option is buying a second controller to complement your midi keyboard. Something like Launch Control XL might do just fine. Not very portable setup though

• @yug said:

@cokomairena said:

To clarify some things:

I have touchosc too! (the original) I couldn't make it work, I even bought the new one, but it's too complex, could you tell me what's the configuration you are using on the endless encoder?

@cokomairena said:

Don't be sorry, not my native language too :)
    That's easy. Go to the mixer page and map Mute buttons there

Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh for some reaseon it never crossed my mind that you could map the mixer page! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

@cokomairena said:

I see. Looks like it can't be done easily, but you may be able to make it work with some MIDI processing magic. Using scripting apps like Mozaic or StreamByter

It would work like this:
    1. You need to change what notes your pads send to GR-16. Make them send CC messages or maybe some very high notes (C7-D#8)
    2. The script will analyze midi input, make changes and then send it to GR-16. So, the logic: receive CC/midi note; if it's from one of the pads -> send CC to switch to TRIGGER mode, convert CC to MIDI note that will trigger that pad (or do nothing if using C7-D#8) and send it; send CC to switch back to KEYS mode

I think that should work for switching between different parts, but probably won't be good for finger drumming on the pads.
    Well, can't have everything :) It might work fine, if you would use pads for switching and keys for playing or if you have a controller with more than 16 pads. Like the Launchpad

Maybe try it first with some free app, before buying one of the apps I mentioned

Interesting, I like the idea, thanks!

@cokomairena said:

Building a midi controller yourself is certainly possible, but it requires some skill and experience.
    Another option is buying a second controller to complement your midi keyboard. Something like Launch Control XL might do just fine. Not very portable setup though

• edited June 2021

@cokomairena said:

@yug said:

@cokomairena said:

To clarify some things:

I have touchosc too! (the original) I couldn't make it work, I even bought the new one, but it's too complex, could you tell me what's the configuration you are using on the endless encoder?

Could you tell me what you are trying to achieve? I mean why use the endless encoder?
    I'll try it on my end, maybe I can make it work

• @yug said:
    Could you tell me what you are trying to achieve? I mean why use the endless encoder?

Just trying to map the main encoder to use it for everything it can be used, like browsing samples, changing properties on the menu... I want to know the factibility of making a micro controller for the menu, shift, and the mode buttons, which are the buttons that I find harder to accurately press when performing.

• edited June 2021

@jimpavloff what about an update to "compete" with the last Digitakt upgrade and adding a second modulator and FX? I would pay $10 xD

The other thing I'm missing coming from the Circuit is having different patterns on the same project, but I have no idea how it could be implemented, on the Circuit is just genius.

Question to other people reading: How do you make part B's and C's for a song? (to change the chord progression) I have to check some electribe tutorials maybe

I guess I could sacrifice 8 pads to make two patterns in the same pattern if that makes any sense.

Anyway, I'm loving this thing and making music like never before! THANKS!

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

@cokomairena said:
    The other thing I'm missing coming from the Circuit is having different patterns on the same project, but I have no idea how it could be implemented, on the Circuit is just genius.

Question to other people reading: How do you make part B's and C's for a song? (to change the chord progression) I have to check some electribe tutorials maybe

I guess I could sacrifice 8 pads to make two patterns in the same pattern if that makes any sense.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. There is a song mode where you can chain together patterns, and there are pattern copy and transpose tools available. GR-16 is single pattern at a time focused, but there's no problem stringing them together.

Maybe thinking of song mode as you think of Project in Circuit terms?

• @cokomairena said:

@yug said:

Just trying to map the main encoder to use it for everything it can be used, like browsing samples, changing properties on the menu... I want to know the factibility of making a micro controller for the menu, shift, and the mode buttons, which are the buttons that I find harder to accurately press when performing.

I experimented with "the main encoder" (in the manual, they call it the Value Jog knob) a bit using my arturia keyboard and TouchOSC.

Everything except pattern switching works fine when using the endless encoder on the keyboard. When trying to switch patterns, I can see the value jog knob rotating, but nothing happens. After I press Enter, I can change pattern properties w/o any issues

For pattern switching and navigating between different parameters, I can map UP and DOWN keys. Works very well with 2 pads or endless encoders.

The endless encoder in TouchOSC works, but there are issues:

• The value drops to 0 after rotating past max value(127) (or changes to 127 after 0). The keyboard does not do this. It can be a bit annoying, but it depends on what you are trying to build. Probably, it can be fixed with some scripting
    • And I couldn't make it send relative values instead of absolute. This could have fixed the first issue but it didn't work. There's this parameter called Response, but nothing changes when I select Relative. Looks like a bug to me. Maybe it's not a bug but I can't tell because their manual sucks

Anyway, you wanted to see the config

• edited June 2021

Thought I'd share this here, I posted it in the Handpan options 2021 thread.

Not a typical use case but I'm using 1 C note sample in AUM in Key mode with the LPP
    So simple and sounds so real I love how GR-16 has allowed me to achieve this where no other app has...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8eshtp9r72wafs8/RPReplay_Final1622358455.MP4?dl=0

• +1 to Audio Input that allows direct sampling into Parts and maybe running it through FX. That would make GR-16 the most complete and usable groovebox in the game. Would pay good $ as IAP!

• @dvi said:
    +1 to Audio Input that allows direct sampling into Parts and maybe running it through FX. That would make GR-16 the most complete and usable groovebox in the game. Would pay good $ as IAP!

This is how I resample using koala and AUM:

@yug Thanks for sharing. I found that in the midi options there is a relative midi option that lists two methods: Binary offset and 2's complement. I think that is the clue I needed to investigate and understand how does it work.

@wim said:

@cokomairena said:

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. There is a song mode where you can chain together patterns, and there are pattern copy and transpose tools available. GR-16 is single pattern at a time focused, but there's no problem stringing them together.

Maybe thinking of song mode as you think of Project in Circuit terms?

I'm more interested more on the music workflow than the technical workflow, how do you guys advance from a loop to having a full song? Just copy the pattern and replace the parts and string them together in song mode? do you sequence on an external program? I mean I understand the technical possibilities, but sometimes there are workflows that are just genius xD

• @cokomairena said:
    I'm more interested more on the music workflow than the technical workflow, how do you guys advance from a loop to having a full song? Just copy the pattern and replace the parts and string them together in song mode? do you sequence on an external program? I mean I understand the technical possibilities, but sometimes there are workflows that are just genius xD

I wouldn't call my workflows anywhere near genius. But they work well for me.

I always start out by generating a ton of ideas quickly in GR-16. I'll start with a drum part, bass part, chords, or a riff, as the mood dictates. I try to switch up what I start with to minimize repetitive grooves and to challenge myself. Next I start adding parts, as quickly as I can manage, and trying not to obsess with sound design or part perfection. I just keep piling part after part on, muting some parts if it gets too busy for my head to deal with, but generally keeping most of them going so that anything I add goes well with everything else. I keep going until I run out of ideas or available parts.

Next I'll go one of two ways. I'll either jam around with different combinations of parts until I get a sense of how I would want a song to flow. Then copy the pattern a bunch of times and string them together into song mode. Then I go through and mute / unmute parts in each pattern, record automation, etc. until the "song" comes together.

Or, I'll not bother copying the patterns, instead recording all midi out into Xequence 2. I'll end up with up to 16 tracks, each with one pattern. Now it's a piece of cake to copy and arrange those parts into a song in Xequence 2. This is a great way to put together songs from all those ideas generated earlier. I posted a template and description of this workflow over on patch storage: https://patchstorage.com/xequence-2-grooverider-gr-16-patch/.

I like that second workflow the best because it leverages the respective strengths of GR-16 (idea generation) and Xequence 2 (arranging).

All that said, the real fun with GR-16 is in live jamming.

• @cokomairena said:

@dvi said:
    +1 to Audio Input that allows direct sampling into Parts and maybe running it through FX. That would make GR-16 the most complete and usable groovebox in the game. Would pay good $ as IAP!

Buen video, gracias! I had been using GR-16 as auv3 which makes the export process a bit more complicated, but this is a great alternative (although you lose the independent audio outputs). I’d still love for all that functionality to be integrated in it.

• @dvi said:

@cokomairena said:

@dvi said:

Buen video, gracias! I had been using GR-16 as auv3 which makes the export process a bit more complicated, but this is a great alternative (although you lose the independent audio outputs). I’d still love for all that functionality to be integrated in it.

I’d never tried using GR-16 standalone with AUM but now I realize all the workflow is there: the IAA transport has a record button for AUM, so it’s possible to make loops from GR-16 or any other source by arming the track in AUM, and the file will show up immediately with the Open Sample command by navigating to the AudioShare folder, no need to even open AudioShare. It couldn’t be easier, and by configuring AUM, you get perfect loops for resampling back into GR-16. Simply amazing.

• And if only there was a simple key transpose feature as the Launchpad app in this gem..

• Or better yet.. Groovebox..

• @wim said:

@cokomairena said:

I wouldn't call my workflows anywhere near genius. But they work well for me.

I always start out by generating a ton of ideas quickly in GR-16. I'll start with a drum part, bass part, chords, or a riff, as the mood dictates. I try to switch up what I start with to minimize repetitive grooves and to challenge myself. Next I start adding parts, as quickly as I can manage, and trying not to obsess with sound design or part perfection. I just keep piling part after part on, muting some parts if it gets too busy for my head to deal with, but generally keeping most of them going so that anything I add goes well with everything else. I keep going until I run out of ideas or available parts.

Next I'll go one of two ways. I'll either jam around with different combinations of parts until I get a sense of how I would want a song to flow. Then copy the pattern a bunch of times and string them together into song mode. Then I go through and mute / unmute parts in each pattern, record automation, etc. until the "song" comes together.

Or, I'll not bother copying the patterns, instead recording all midi out into Xequence 2. I'll end up with up to 16 tracks, each with one pattern. Now it's a piece of cake to copy and arrange those parts into a song in Xequence 2. This is a great way to put together songs from all those ideas generated earlier. I posted a template and description of this workflow over on patch storage: https://patchstorage.com/xequence-2-grooverider-gr-16-patch/.

I like that second workflow the best because it leverages the respective strengths of GR-16 (idea generation) and Xequence 2 (arranging).

All that said, the real fun with GR-16 is in live jamming.

Thanks for sharing! The part fo recording the midi and rearranging is indeed genius! I'll try it, I guess I could do it with nanostudio, or even gadget! thanks!

@dvi said:

@cokomairena said:

@dvi said:

De nada! I don't like auv3 because I don't know how to put it in fullscreen.

• I ordered this:

I pretend to write a custom QMK firmware to make it work with GR-16, it should work as a MIDI controller according to other people that had made things with that firmware.

I envision something like this:

One mode for navigation, another mode for performance.

It might even be cool to add a third mode for koala fx presets.

All of this because I sometime miss the shift and mute buttons :D

• edited June 2021

@cokomairena Looks like a nice DIY project :)
    Does that thing support Bluetooth?

Tbh, I'd rather use my iPhone because I have it anyway, and it's easier to label the pads and switch banks.

• @rs2000 said:
    @cokomairena Looks like a nice DIY project :)
    Does that thing support Bluetooth?

Tbh, I'd rather use my iPhone because I have it anyway, and it's easier to label the pads and switch banks.

It's USB-C, I tried using the iPhone but I still miss the tactile feedback, I have to look to the phone to make sure I'm touching the right part, it works great wirelessly tho

• @db909 said:

@chandroji said:

@rs2000 said
    Reading the manual and watching a few youtube videos will certainly give you a good impression.

Thanks a lot for your feedback @rs2000 !
    I will have a look in the manual. That’s a good idea!
    All videos I have seen so far were EDM based. It seems very difficult to find something different. 😎

P.S. / edit
    I didn’t see your post anymore after my reply. Strange..😩

It can make whatever kind of music you want. Except maybe anything requiring drones longer than four bars because each pattern is limited to 4 bars. You chain patterns together of course. if people are making EDM predominantly its only because the type of interface is an interface that has traditionally been used by people in that area. Nothing to do with what notes you compose or what vibes you create. And with sample import you can put whatever sounds you need in there. I would say the same thing about any daw or app that offers this level of control.

This post from 2018 made me think if it was possible to actually drone notes longer than 8 bars and yes.

You can drone notes however long you want in a pattern using step triggers. Just make the note as long as you want and select "1st", however updating the "length" parameter is terrible slow, but you can do it (I did one of 500 steps for testing and it worked just fine)

Don't mind me I'm reading this thread from the start lol

• @cokomairena said:

Don't mind me I'm reading this thread from the start lol

Hehe, i was gonna say, that post you’re replying to had it wrong about the 4 bar limit, since it’s 8 now. But makes sense, that was way back!

• @rs2000 said:

@Dawdles said:

@rs2000 said:

@Dawdles said:
    @jimpavloff would if maybe be possible to add editing for mfx automation?

One thing you can do to make automation a little more precise is to pull down the bpm so you have enough time to tweak knobs more precisely. That's the groovebox way of doing things :smiley:

Thanks, that’ll probably help actually :) wish the x/y pad was a little bigger sometimes for mfx/arp...

iOS Settings > General > Accessibility > Zoom = On
    Show Controller = Off
    Zoom Region = Full Screen
    Set Maximum Zoom Level to your liking (I'd start with 2x)
    With that enabled, you can double-tap with three fingers anywhere on screen (in your case you'd double-tap on the X Y pad) to zoom in, same gesture again to zoom out.
    When zoomed in, you can pan around the screen using tap-move with three fingers.
    I've learned this with the old PPG WaveMapper which has an insanely small mod matrix.

Edit: Sometimes it's necessary to move the viewport a wee bit in order for touches to work properly, seems like a rare iOS bug.

:o this saved my problem with small shift and mute buttons

(Again with a post from 2018, thought maybe someone find it useful)

• Nice @cokomairena, I didn't think about using a small area to zoom! 👍🏼

• @rs2000 said:
    Nice @cokomairena, I didn't think about using a small area to zoom! 👍🏼

I loose the ability to touch 3 things at the same time so it didn't work in the end.

Is there a way to copy all sounds from one pattern to another, but maintaining the notes? or what would be the same copy only the notes of a pattern (all 16 parts) and paste them into another pattern?

• @cokomairena said:

@rs2000 said:
    Nice @cokomairena, I didn't think about using a small area to zoom! 👍🏼

I loose the ability to touch 3 things at the same time so it didn't work in the end.

Is there a way to copy all sounds from one pattern to another, but maintaining the notes? or what would be the same copy only the notes of a pattern (all 16 parts) and paste them into another pattern?

Just hit copy, navigate to where you want to paste (another part, pattern, or measure), then long-press to get the following menu.