Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

News from Michael - Loopy: Masterpiece Edition

Comments

• edited November 2014

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

use Loopy for rather than, say, Gadget?

Loopy is all about live audio and performance. It sits somewhere between Ableton Live and all those "loop station" type pedals. Of course some people use it for other stuff, but thats how I see it.

And this next version sounds like it will take Loopy a few big steps toward Ableton side of things. So very excite

• This is really great news! I can't wait to see what Michael comes up with!

• Awesome news and brave idea. This is going to be fun to watch happen. Keeping loopy's insta-usability while doubling down on features is going to be a delicate balance.

• This is very goods news, especially in the light of the iOS 8 CF, It goes to show that there is light at the end of the tunnel :-)

• Sweet, thanks everyone! I'll be taking all this on board =)

• (@iansainsbury - haha, awesome!)

• Sounds very impressive. I think if you could incorporate some sample manipulation (ala samplr) recordable to loops that would be good. Will be easier to make some suggestions as the concept gets fleshed out.

• I'd like a threshold recording thingy. It's easier for me to start jamming percs or drums then a hitting a pad after that to start looping. That's how I setup mobius the looper.

• Michael, I sent you an email about 100 years ago about pivoting loopy to workmore like Ableton (as a new app)—the short of it was stacked tracks/loops (bass stack could contain 5 different bass parts) and an ability to easily toggle sections or groups of tracks. Any idea if that is on the pile or should I try to dig it up?

On that note, what's the best way for us to communicate ideas with you? Will you be soliciting specific feedback over time?

I should wait for your answer but I want to get an old request in on the ground floor(!): no matter what I'm doing in Loopy I always always want access to my input level display and the play/stop button. If I had my druthers, I'd also always be able to see the current loopy length multiplier. With a midi controller I can mostly leave it on the input sidebar but without one (on the train) things can get tricky. I know a sidebar rethink was on the table at one point. If I can help there specifically in someway, I'd love to.

Are you at all considering rebranching this whole thing? Instead of one app that works from ideation to production to live performance, having three apps (or whatever) that excel at each part and perhaps some easy way to move sessions from one to another? Part of what makes Loopy awesome is that it's pretty focussed on live looping. Even if it don't do that often, it's a fixed base from which to work and I appreciate the app's focus.

Either way, I love how high you've set your bar on this—an instrument around which to base a career is pretty epic! And I love that you still love Loopy enough to tackle this. Audiobus is a huge hit and Loopy has been in the charts since its first tonight show appearance. Seems like no one could blame you if you were on a yacht pouring champagne on your cock.

• edited November 2014

@syrupcore

no one could blame you if you were on a yacht pouring champagne on your cock.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is excellent writing. A coup de grace, a kick in the stompf, both barrels at the end of a gentle and apparently technical diversion....and true, and a worthy bookend in terms of drama to Mister Michael's an instrument around which to base a career which is an object example of calling yourself and your intentions out in a full balls manner.

+! x 2

• *puts down champagne bottle and looks around guiltily*

Nothing. Nothing to see here.

• I would like an Ableton for iOS. But I'm not saying it has to look like Ableton.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• I already use Loopy to produce about 75% of my tracks - love it! But I do find myself wishing for a way to edit my performances - so a simple loop sequencer would be highly useful. And a way to edit/trim loops would be great. Any additional functionality in Loopy is going to be awesome either way - I think it's just a matter of how many goodies will be implemented - each one will be further icing on the cake. Can't wait!

• Ooh, I'm gonna jump on this one right away, because I hear it a lot but don't yet understand well: the editing/trimming of loops. Can you give me an example of that? I have trouble visualising it. I imagine it could work for the first loop, if you don't get the timing right and need to trim it to make it more seamless, but it seems to me it could be just as easy (and probably better) to re-record it. For other tracks than the first one, I have trouble figuring out how it'd work, because if you trimmed or extended, then the track would become out of time with the rest of the session (as it's a different length).

• I'm dreaming of a button exporting the session to cubasis or Auria, separate tracks, on one hit. Working with audiobus presets is my best workaround

• I'd like to use a midi control to adjust the overall volume of Loopy.

• This sounds really great! I have just recently started using loopy for some tracks and I love the workflow and the auto start/stop functionality of individual loops when playing back live or indeed recording. It would be even better if there was an indication of recording level (maybe loops flashing red to indicate clipping ( or have I missed level indications as existing feature? ) :)

• Firstly I would like to thank Michael for what he has done, and rest of the developer and reviewer community, IOS music making is just so much fun! I agree with Doug, however to paraphrase Capt Mainwaring, 'very small light, very long tunnel' .
    My biggest struggle with Loopy is the ability to edit the loops and trim the ends of the loops to make more rhythmically sophisticated or subtle music
    It works fine when using strict tempo etc but anything rubato is a struggle
    Too much 'looped' music is very fixed in tempo and gets predictable IMO
    What I would like to see is a way to make each loop full screen for the purposes of editing
    and propose two tools for doing this;-
    A 'cake cutter' so you tap for the number of equal size slices the circle is cut into (1,2,3,4,5,6 etc) then you can slide in and out of the centre to change amplitude of individual slices, (right to the middle would effectively mute that slice) or you can actually remove a slice, then the remaining slices are time stretched to fill out the full circle.
    The other tool would be 'clock hands' like setting the time on an old clock, you can move the hands to preferred positions and then cut, copy edit etc, but also have the possibility of just playing that wedge as a loop. There is some overlap with existing features in Sector for these features, maybe even opening multiple instances of a live-looping Sector-like editor within Loopy !!

• If you are looking at editing then edited sample would like described above need to timestrech to fit circle (if you are even sticking with circles). A non destructive edit with undo/redo would be good so if you have a good loop you can try a few different edits until you get something that loops how you want.
    Also what you mention about tracks/loops going out of time with each other might even be an option to leave in. If there was an option to unlock loop sync before trimming to leave the edited loop spinning at different tempo you could get all kinds of syncopations that might be musically useful to some.

• Agree with @RedSkyLullaby on this one.

It might not apply to everyone else, but your notion:

but it seems to me it could be just as easy (and probably better) to re-record it.

doesn't work for many of us because a) we may not have the chops/skills to consistently re-record and b) Loopy is a worldclass 'moment snatcher' either in life or on the keyboard, where sound is found but not likely or possible to be re-found/re-made and thus the ability to edit is or would be the killer improvement/step forward from where things are now....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

Agree with @RedSkyLullaby on this one.

It might not apply to everyone else, but your notion:

but it seems to me it could be just as easy (and probably better) to re-record it.

doesn't work for many of us because a) we may not have the chops/skills to consistently re-record and b) Loopy is a worldclass 'moment snatcher' either in life or on the keyboard, where sound is found but not likely or possible to be re-found/re-made and thus the ability to edit is or would be the killer improvement/step forward from where things are now....

Exactly and that is why there Needs to be a simple and intuitive way of automatically nudging the off transients on to a quantisation grid.

• edited November 2014

Perhaps the loops could have notches or marks like on a clock indicating the time signature predetermined by the bpm. If a loop is recorded shorter or longer than a traditional bar, the grid could morph accordingly clearly showing where the "beat" is. Displaying the notches, grids, and a metronome are great visual cues.

• I don't see loopy as a DAW, that's why I'm not expecting audio editing capabilities. This is especially true for live performance where at rear times when I don't get the recording rights I just quickly re record it. If it had midi though, midi edit would make a lot of sense when quantizer doesn't quite get it right. In fact when I think of midi in loopy I kind of imagine loopseque type circles. I was also thinking yesterday what was mentioned by @syrupcore and namely the transport bar that could easily accommodate loop length and speed at the cost of the uv meters which I personally don't find hugely useful. Even better if the layout was customizable. Also loop numbers in the middle of circles would be fab but I heard this being requested before so it must be on your list already.

• looks like the forum has been removed?

• @Peanutcram said:

I'm dreaming of a button exporting the session to cubasis or Auria, separate tracks, on one hit. Working with audiobus presets is my best workaround

This, yes! Been dreaming of this for ages.

• Just in case Mister Michael is keeping count I'm in favor of the above also. Most of us are I'm guessing...

• edited November 2014

@CJ_Stout said:

@Peanutcram said:

I'm dreaming of a button exporting the session to cubasis or Auria, separate tracks, on one hit. Working with audiobus presets is my best workaround

This, yes! Been dreaming of this for ages.

Would be a dream come true... Yes !
    Forget all my previous requests if you can have direct export in separate tracks in cubasis. ;-)

• edited November 2014

Wow, awesome.

note: He really captured the nature setting. An immersive sort of thing. LOL

That dude is out there : )

But the whole thing sounds like a lot of fun. And considering how awesome the app is, this approach seems like an interesting experiment.

• @smeeeth said:

looks like the forum has been removed?

Yeah - I've added Disqus to the site, to try to concentrate discussion there, in one place. Saves my having to roam all over =)

• @Nubus said:

note: He really captured the nature setting. An immersive sort of thing. LOL

That dude is out there : )

Haha! Yeah, our garden is freaking awesome.