Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Buchla ID700 dropped on iOS (Jonathan Schatz, modosc designs)

14567810»

Comments

• @krupa : argh. Now you’ve gone and done it. I see they make modules. I have a modular rack now. (You helped finance it, actually! :) ) Economic ruin beckons...

• @Svetlovska said:
    @krupa : argh. Now you’ve gone and done it. I see they make modules. I have a modular rack now. (You helped finance it, actually! :) ) Economic ruin beckons...

😬 sorry! - the universe giveth and taketh I guess 😬

Don’t rush with them for sure, took me months of prevarication and listening, I almost got a module cheaper second hand but kinda glad I missed the sale as it would have opened that euro door for me, though I am still interested in metasonix stuff as well, I’ll try and make my own in the meantime 🤣

• This is the part where I kneel down and beg the universe that I never get gas for modular 😂

• @Svetlovska said:
    @krupa: what the hell is trogotronics? A synthesis form based on 1960s garage bands???? :)

The Valkyrie ought to be right up your alley:

https://trogotronic.com/product/valkyrie/

• @Krupa said:

@Gavinski said:

@Krupa said:

@Gavinski said:

@Soundscaper said:

@NeuM said:

>

Nothing too radical, please. Clarity of function and ease of use should always be primary goals of good UI design.

MPE as a standard built into all music apps would be nice.

Pshaw to yer timid nibbling Msr Neum! 😁. Be brave!

This Buchla kit all has deeply radical roots ... drawn from the hallucinogenic maelstrom of Ken Kesey, Timothy Leary and the beat poets. Very subversive and outside the mainstream at its very core... radical re-thinking was built into the design of this stuff. Left-field was always the starting point. 50 years ahead of his time.

Worth a read this: https://www.factmag.com/2016/09/26/the-genius-of-don-buchla-suzanne-ciani-morton-subotnick-surgeon-alessandro-cortini/

Excellent article, thanks!

Yeah a great read and insight, I like the quote about the radio tuned into another galaxy - i had a desire for something like that build over some months and is what got me chasing round looking for weird hardware and into trogotronic stuff...

I hadn't known the Ken Kesey connection, that was fascinating. Yeah this stiff definitely appeals to people who've taken the odd trip over the years 😂

I’d also forgotten that detail from the acid test, I’m going to hunt through it later to see if I can turn it up...

This book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Francisco-Music-Center-Counterculture-AvantGarde/dp/0520256174/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=San+Francisco+tape+music+Center&qid=1618478245&sr=8-1

• edited April 2021

@Philandering_Bastard said:

@Svetlovska said:
    @krupa: what the hell is trogotronics? A synthesis form based on 1960s garage bands???? :)

The Valkyrie ought to be right up your alley:

https://trogotronic.com/product/valkyrie/

Yeah that’s the level of GAS I’m not aspiring to, I’ve been talking with someone who uses one and they love it - wt mentioned that they’re running out of source components for them as well so I think they might not be available much longer...

• @Philandering_Bastard : ha! a) you’re right of course, it would be. b) short of a lottery win, I won’t be rushing out to buy it. In fact, the best limitation on Eurorack/quirky electronics gas at the moment seems to be an acute shortage of, well... everything. At least, everything dependent on non-U.K. sourced components. I have had to join waiting lists and pay up front for the next two, fairly common things I have my eyes on, (Disting EX, ES-9) with no indication from either source when, or if, they will ever appear. Probably just as well, all things considered...

• @Svetlovska said:
    @Philandering_Bastard : ha! a) you’re right of course, it would be. b) short of a lottery win, I won’t be rushing out to buy it. In fact, the best limitation on Eurorack/quirky electronics gas at the moment seems to be an acute shortage of, well... everything. At least, everything dependent on non-U.K. sourced components. I have had to join waiting lists and pay up front for the next two, fairly common things I have my eyes on, (Disting EX, ES-9) with no indication from either source when, or if, they will ever appear. Probably just as well, all things considered...

That’s why I really like that book about the SFTMC. They literally had a garage with crap hanging from the ceiling and a tape machine. If that’s enough for them I shouldn’t be gassing for some souped-up oscillator.

Please give that souped-up oscillator. Please!

• @rs2000 said:
    @modosc Your MSB/LSB split CC implementation is quite interesting. Cool idea to remain compatible with simple 7bit CCs.

That split is actually part of the MIDI standard, see https://www.midi.org/specifications-old/item/table-3-control-change-messages-data-bytes-2. Only Model D and a few other iOS apps implement it though; and now ID700, which is excellent.

• @uncledave said:

@rs2000 said:
    @modosc Your MSB/LSB split CC implementation is quite interesting. Cool idea to remain compatible with simple 7bit CCs.

That split is actually part of the MIDI standard, see https://www.midi.org/specifications-old/item/table-3-control-change-messages-data-bytes-2. Only Model D and a few other iOS apps implement it though; and now ID700, which is excellent.

Indeed, MIDI is a rather open standard. Even such apparently obvious mechanisms like MIDI clock sync can be implemented in 10 different ways which would all perfectly adhere to the standard yet be incompatible with each other.

• version 1.2 was just approved on the app store and should be available now. changelog:

• Remove JUCE splash screen
    • Fix double-clicking on .idpreset and .idwave files in iOS
    • Add voice count setting
    • Add duplicate note mode setting
    • Documentation updates
    • Increase font weight / size
    • Fix smoothed/stepped random ranges
    • Add preset auto panic setting
    • Fix Location panning math bug
  • version 1.3 was just approved on the app store and should be available now. changelog:

• Update Documentation
    • Add MIDI Program Change and Bank Select support
    • Fix occasional AUv3 crash on host-initiated Program Change
    • Fix broken CC control of algorithm, time scaling, fine tuning, and main out
    • Add Program Change access to User Presets

• edited April 2021

I’m gonna do a live show with this and trigger a couple keys then go slam drinks at the bar for 128 seconds. Repeat process.

• edited April 2021

@modosc Loving the ID700 btw - and am beginning to get some great results. A couple of thoughts\ideas:

1. I may have missed something about this in the manual, but I'm finding it difficult to make precise adjustments to parameter values e.g. OSC tuning. I drag it to e.g. 12.00 but when I lift off my finger, or lift the Apple pencil, it often jumps a notch. Numerical entry would be great.
    2. Also would LOVE a synced mode for Envelopes\Envelope points. Not sure if that's off-mission for an ID700 reproduction, but with its capabilities for rhythmic sounds, it would be great to be able to tempo sync those.
    3. The conditional jumps in envelope points are great for introducing an element of randomness. I would love to see a "jump to point N with probability P" type setting e.g. if rand() > P then jump to point N.
  • @modosc said:

@Svetlovska said:
    @modosc : “ the random presets were generated by a patch randomiser” - exactly! :) Might you think about including some form of that, I.e. a live patch randomiser, right into the app itself? I really enjoy synths which allow this, as a shortcut to jumping off points for tweaks.

as soon as i'm satisfied with it, yes . right now it's hidden in production builds.

too bad the patch randomizer is still hidden to us...
    maybe it could become visible with help of an iap?

• Now available for Mac. $59.99 until the end of the year.

Here's the iPad app, which is on sale for $7.99, down from $9.99.

Richard Devine's new video:

• @ocelot said:
    Now available for Mac. $59.99 until the end of the year.

cool! i can see the dice, finally:)
    and an extra randomiser for the envelopes. great!
    looking forward to the ios update

• @rototom said:

@ocelot said:
    Now available for Mac. $59.99 until the end of the year.

cool! i can see the dice, finally:)
    and an extra randomiser for the envelopes. great!
    looking forward to the ios update

Awesome the dice are there. It’s about hat time.