Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Buchla ID700 dropped on iOS (Jonathan Schatz, modosc designs)

Comments

• @Moderndaycompiler said:
    Congratulations on the release @modosc. Fantastic tool. Love all the tunings included. Looking forward to using this one. It’s quite unique. I see an extra special thanks to Chris Randall in the about info. Love his apps. Was he involved with development as well?

chris helped me get it out the door

• @Svetlovska said:
    I’m curious about the random presets, though, and wonder if it might be a more immediately accessible idea to have a random ‘dice’ button on the front page, with the option to turn randomisable parameters on and off (maybe by clicking on each area of the gui and highlighting those selected to include/exclude in the dice roll in a different colour?). I do love my random patch generation... :)

the random presets were generated by a patch randomizer, they're not random every time you pull them up.

• @Synthi said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:
    What’s the function of the two little action icons to the top right of the envelope window? The right one duplicates undo from what I can tell but the left one (open in) doesn’t do anything?

I think those are for copy/paste the envelopes

yeah, there's unfortunately no standard copy/paste emoji :/

i'm looking into using a different symbol set which will hopefully make this clearer.

• @Richtowns said:
    The selection of professional patches is also impressive. Its so versatile and also low cpu. Ace! What more can we ask for!

thanks! the presets were done by kurt kurasaki - he (obviously) did an amazing job of showing the capabilities.

• @Gavinski said:
    Anyone trying out the mpe? I am finding a lot of problems playing this with seaboard - lots of notes just don't play. Seems to be working much better on a morph. Anyone else with a seaboard care to report back? Don't forget to set pitch bend to 24 btw

i will be updating the docs with workarounds here but the short answer is to open up the roli control software and set "num midi channels" to 12.

long term i'm looking into making this just work but it'll probably be a setting ("respond to all midi channels even if i really shouldn't" or something)

• edited April 2021

@modosc : “ the random presets were generated by a patch randomiser” - exactly! :) Might you think about including some form of that, I.e. a live patch randomiser, right into the app itself? I really enjoy synths which allow this, as a shortcut to jumping off points for tweaks.

• @modosc any plans to make this universal? I’m gonna get it anyway but I get to know apps much better when you can mess with them on your phone.

• Beautiful powerful critter ... full of musical potential ... BUT ... needs a radical interface to suit its radical nature ... something more playable on the screen... maybe a few screens. Too much information - not enough usable real estate. MPE built in please. Awaiting v2 with great enthusiasm.

90% of a great idea.

• @Soundscaper said:
    Beautiful powerful critter ... full of musical potential ... BUT ... needs a radical interface to suit its radical nature ... something more playable on the screen... maybe a few screens. Too much information - not enough usable real estate. MPE built in please. Awaiting v2 with great enthusiasm.

90% of a great idea.

Nothing too radical, please. Clarity of function and ease of use should always be primary goals of good UI design.

MPE as a standard built into all music apps would be nice.

• @Svetlovska said:
    @modosc : “ the random presets were generated by a patch randomiser” - exactly! :) Might you think about including some form of that, I.e. a live patch randomiser, right into the app itself? I really enjoy synths which allow this, as a shortcut to jumping off points for tweaks.

as soon as i'm satisfied with it, yes . right now it's hidden in production builds.

• version 1.1 was just approved on the app store and should be available now. changelog:

• Add Changelog
    • Prevent iOS from going to sleep while standalone is running
    • Preset updates / typo fixes
    • Documentation updates / typo fixes
    • Reduce app bundle size by 33%
    • Fix blank About / Documentation links in AUv3
    • Tuning installation is now a manual process (fixes the ipad air/mini crashes)
  • @NeuM said:

>

Nothing too radical, please. Clarity of function and ease of use should always be primary goals of good UI design.

Pshaw to yer timid nibbling Msr Neum! 😁. Be brave!

This Buchla kit all has deeply radical roots ... drawn from the hallucinogenic maelstrom of Ken Kesey, Timothy Leary and the beat poets. Very subversive and outside the mainstream at its very core... radical re-thinking was built into the design of this stuff. Left-field was always the starting point. 50 years ahead of his time.

Worth a read this: https://www.factmag.com/2016/09/26/the-genius-of-don-buchla-suzanne-ciani-morton-subotnick-surgeon-alessandro-cortini/

• checks discussion

Sees randomization request

leaves thread after documenting entry

For fuck’s sake, explore the things you buy. Enjoy learning them

• I know what you mean, but don't be so judgemental Oat. If you had read the thread a bit more carefully maybe you would have noticed that Svetlovska is very much exploring and enjoying learning the app. That and a randomisation are not mutually exclusive, in fact they can go hand in hand. Randomise, analyse the results, learn....

• @oat_phipps said:
    checks discussion

Eat this

• @modosc Your MSB/LSB split CC implementation is quite interesting. Cool idea to remain compatible with simple 7bit CCs.
    What about program change messages?
    What I love in other FM synths is the possibility to switch presets seamlessly, i.e. without interrupting audio and ideally with an optional crossfade 😉

• @gusgranite said:

@oat_phipps said:
    checks discussion

Eat this

I’ve been foiled! Time to regroup in the lair...What do you mean ‘under repair’? Blast

• edited April 2021

@modosc This is an excellent app and I’m getting great sounds from it already. Thanks for all your hard work to bring it to life.

A couple of suggested interface tweaks:

• Linear knob interaction (or an option for this)
    • Relative rather than absolute parameter interaction I.e. rather than jumping the value to where I put my finger, placing my finger anywhere on the slider/knob begins a drag left/right operation to decrease/increase the value ... e.g. in the algorithm screen boxes
    • All numerical entry boxes to have double tap reset built in (Modulation multiplier doesn’t seem to)

Overall I find the GUI easy to use and clear, and intuitive. I don’t think it needs a radical rethink as some suggest ... it’s already more than fit for purpose.

• @oat_phipps said:

@gusgranite said:

@oat_phipps said:
    checks discussion

Eat this

I’ve been foiled! Time to regroup in the lair...What do you mean ‘under repair’? Blast

😂😂😂

You’re a good sport.

• @rs2000 said:

that's coming, i just have to figure out how to handle the fact that there are > 128 factory presets.

What I love in other FM synths is the possibility to switch presets seamlessly, i.e. without interrupting audio and ideally with an optional crossfade 😉

the 700 had this idea of voice groups, and with those you could have patched up a six voice version of this. i implemented it for this project, you can see it in some of the old screenshots. it was too complicated to use in the app (or on the 700 i assume). it's so much simpler to run multiple instances of a plugin with two different presets and fade between them.

• @gusgranite said:

@oat_phipps said:

@gusgranite said:

@oat_phipps said:
    checks discussion

Eat this

😂😂😂

You’re a good sport.

If you can dish it out you gotta be able to take it too 😉👍

• @oat_phipps : randomisation at all levels is my aesthetic, like it or don’t. Case in point: the track I created with ID700, within six hours of its’ release, has now, two days down the line, racked up a gratifying ( for me, anyway) 331 listens on my SoundCloud. Created entirely through serendipitous techniques. But, you know, whatever... ;) Be happy to check out whatever you have created with it? You do you, I’ll do me. And @modosc obviously has room in his heart for a bit of rando, as his response to the query indicates. @Gavinski : thank you :)

• @modosc said:

@rs2000 said:

that's coming, i just have to figure out how to handle the fact that there are > 128 factory presets.

the 700 had this idea of voice groups, and with those you could have patched up a six voice version of this. i implemented it for this project, you can see it in some of the old screenshots. it was too complicated to use in the app (or on the 700 i assume). it's so much simpler to run multiple instances of a plugin with two different presets and fade between them.

I can imagine, yes. Thanks for the reply 👍🏼

• @Soundscaper said:

@NeuM said:

>

This Buchla kit all has deeply radical roots ... drawn from the hallucinogenic maelstrom of Ken Kesey, Timothy Leary and the beat poets. Very subversive and outside the mainstream at its very core... radical re-thinking was built into the design of this stuff. Left-field was always the starting point. 50 years ahead of his time.

Worth a read this: https://www.factmag.com/2016/09/26/the-genius-of-don-buchla-suzanne-ciani-morton-subotnick-surgeon-alessandro-cortini/

Excellent article, thanks!

• @Gavinski said:

@Soundscaper said:

@NeuM said:

>

Yeah a great read and insight, I like the quote about the radio tuned into another galaxy - i had a desire for something like that build over some months and is what got me chasing round looking for weird hardware and into trogotronic stuff...

• @krupa: what the hell is trogotronics? A synthesis form based on 1960s garage bands???? :)

• @Krupa said:

@Gavinski said:

@Soundscaper said:

@NeuM said:

>

Yeah a great read and insight, I like the quote about the radio tuned into another galaxy - i had a desire for something like that build over some months and is what got me chasing round looking for weird hardware and into trogotronic stuff...

I hadn't known the Ken Kesey connection, that was fascinating. Yeah this stiff definitely appeals to people who've taken the odd trip over the years 😂

• @Svetlovska said:
    @krupa: what the hell is trogotronics? A synthesis form based on 1960s garage bands???? :)

https://trogotronic.com/product/679ms/

That’s the one that captured my imagination - Hopefully you’ll have a similar reaction to Gavinski and not get the GAS I got, wt seems to be their main person in Big Sur and I’ve had a great dialogue with him about their synths as well as lots of advice and encouragement in my own endeavours. I think they’ve been upcycling gear for decades, starting back in LA years ago, I’m well pleased with the shiny box that turned up, mysteries within mysteries...

• @modosc hi, I emailed and we spoke before this came out as you let me know release was imminent. Just wanted to say I absolutely love it and currently my favourite iOS synth. I really hope you work on other interesting apps in the future as this is so much fun. An easel would be cool on iOS. Or anything weird and interesting and unique. Anyway, it’s such an amazing fun synth, thanks.

• edited April 2021

@Gavinski said:

@Krupa said:

@Gavinski said:

@Soundscaper said:

@NeuM said:

>

I hadn't known the Ken Kesey connection, that was fascinating. Yeah this stiff definitely appeals to people who've taken the odd trip over the years 😂

I’d also forgotten that detail from the acid test, I’m going to hunt through it later to see if I can turn it up...