Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ID700 IS HERE

Comments

• Does this synth have note off? I am using the panic button atm.

• @ashh said:
    Does this synth have note off? I am using the panic button atm.

From a read of the manual and fairly deep knowledge of envelope design... if you set up a 1-shot envelope it will play though which can take a long time! I’m pretty sure you can create shorter steps and loop a section while a key is down. I’m not sure I saw a way to “jump out” of a step on key up to complete an envelope quickly.

• @pampalini said:
    Hey @modosc , congrats on your release, fantastic app.

One thing that I kept wishing I could do, is modulating the amplitudes of the Chebyshev terms. Do you think that could be on your radar as a future update? In order not to blow it all up with too many modulation sources, you could decide on a couple of meta modulators, e.g. for all odd terms, every 5th term, or some such.

Regardless, love the app, thanks for your great contribution to the community.

Seconded.

• @Soundscaper said:
    After a whole ten minutes ...I think the panic button should be bigger.

Insanely powerful "thing"... has a mind of its own. Gonna be a lot of fun.

LOL, are you me? I think an optional Midi reset when switching presets could be helpful @modosc

• @ashh said:

As per @modosc one has to pay attention to the amp envelope. The can be long, over 10 seconds in some presets and will play through / carry over when switching presets.

• +1 for All MIDI notes OFF option when changing presets

• I do love this synth, one of the best releases in a while, but I hope this cpu spikeyness can be resolved as I'm getting glitches when recording quite a lot.

• @Carnbot said:
    I do love this synth, one of the best releases in a while, but I hope this cpu spikeyness can be resolved as I'm getting glitches when recording quite a lot.

Just guessing, have you tried turning off the animations in the app settings (Advanced)?
    Also, check the Envelope Quality setting.
    You might also try hiding the app GUI when recording.

• edited April 2021

@Carnbot said:
    I do love this synth, one of the best releases in a while, but I hope this cpu spikeyness can be resolved as I'm getting glitches when recording quite a lot.

Thanks for mentioning that , which ipad you have ?
    I watched some videos and it reminded me of bent.fm synth , which I really like for noise ,
    but I have an "old" Air2

• @uncledave said:

@Carnbot said:

Just guessing, have you tried turning off the animations in the app settings (Advanced)?
    Also, check the Envelope Quality setting.
    You might also try hiding the app GUI when recording.

oh yes I always hide all guis when recording as much as possible, ipad pro 2017 models also have issues with gui spikes with AUs so it's advised to do that anyway.
    Hopefully the app will get some more optimization as time goes on.
    Lesser quality envelopes should help with spikes though, will try that. :)

• @Korakios said:

@Carnbot said:

Thanks for mentioning that , which ipad you have ?
    I watched some videos and it reminded me of bent.fm synth , which I really like for noise ,
    but I have an "old" Air2

Ipad pro 2017 12.9
    You can use quite a lot of instances so should be quite usable on an AIr 2 I would think.

• I love how this synth creates grainy, textured soundscapes that slowly shift and morph and are perfect for creating meditative brainscapes. Still not much of a clue about how to tweak it yet but already it's paid back its asking price.

• @FloRi89 said:
    Do I need another synth? Absolutely not. Can I say no to this synth? Obviously not lol.

I am you and you are me.

• @Gavinski said:

@despego said:
    I just had a short play, stand alone, while I tested it around with the Linnstrument and these are the notes I wrote while I played:

Shouldn't the sound respond to changes in the AMP envelope? I try to shorten one of those long envelopes after I've pressed some notes. But the sound goes on and on, no matter how much I shorten the envelope.

MPE midi channels: it seems that MPE takes all the channels? It would be nice to be able to limit this to the actual number of voices (+ the common channel).

MPE pitch bend could well be extended to 48 (standard, according to the MPE specifications). Anyway it works well, even with my Linn set to 48 and ID700 to 24

Love the animations!

The Fortepiano presets are amazing. Really good response to velocity.

The overall MPE implementation seems at first sight amazing. I have full control of the amplitude with pressure and yet I still can use the envelopes. The visual clues are a god send. Amazing to see the ups and downs of every voice.

Plays very well with the Linnstrument.

I like the design. Maybe a bit sober but it is very clear in my eyes (and I still have to learn where to look at). Yes, font can be too small at some places but it is a crowded interface (full of wonder). I see now that the pop-up window in the OSC (where you find ratio, interval and so on) is extremely small. I think it is very well laid down.

Yes, the circular movement of the buttons is kind of hell (remember Fugue Machine?) but the sliders are for the most part pretty accurate. Have you ever dial something in your X synth and then, when you lift the finger, the value changes as "magic" (and it's not what you want) and you try again and again and again until you (almost) throw the iPad on the wall and promise to yourself you're never ever going to make music on iOS again? Well, it doesn't happen here.

But the sliders in the wave editor are kind of tricky. I'm used to touch a slider then move my finger to the side so I see what I'm doing. Only that if you move your finger to the side, you will be changing the value(s) of the next(s) harmonic(s).

The sound is lovely. I love sines, I love FM, Buchlish, Aalto-ish. Definitely some learning curve here but just a bit of patience.

Overall, pretty solid. I was longing for a (good) MPE synth on iOS and I think I've found it.

I'm going to give this 5 stars right now.

Good comments! I believe 24 works here because here it must mean 24 octaves up or down which the standard way also means (48=24 up and 24 down). I Think so.

about my problems with seaboard, dev just told me the current workaround is to reduce number of misi channels to 12.

If that works, the mpe implementation will be good, though the mpe presets that come with the app are highly uninspiring. Be prepared to spend lots of time making your own mpe presets, though it is fun to do so!

Do you mean semitones, don't you?

I've seen those problems with other synths. Actually it should be possible to limit the number of channels in the apps too, so it only listens to the channels one actually uses.

By the way, 12 voices makes it of course more CPU hungry. I haven't had problems with CPU (but I've only tested briefly) but a solution would be to reduce the number of voices - we've done this before with FRMS.

For what I could see yesterday, the MPE implementation is really good. Presets are just a starting point. By the way, I think it is funny to make an MPE category. Imagine making a "MIDI 1" category?

What I like of ID700 is that you can quickly assign MPE modulation sources anywhere. For me it is important to control amplitude (in one way or another) with aftertouch.

@tk32 said:
    +1 for All MIDI notes OFF option when changing presets

Yes, I think it is important to have a way to kill the sound if an envelope "turns out" to be too long. One thing I usually do with new synths is preset surfing. That can be a bit enervating with this one.

Otherwise, I can't recall a synth with such long envelopes. Some of the presets show how to use them to create sequences and then couple that with the amazing scale support!

I am very happy with this release. I have been really longing for such a synth for a long time. This is going to be something to dive at a very slow tempo and making it my own. My favourite synth is Madrona Labs Aalto. This one feels like an upgrade for the good. I hope @modosc continues support and development. Thanks!

• @despego yes, I meant semitones, brainfart! I had probs with cpu earlier today btw but switching off animations and reducing envelope quality (these can be found in settings) helped. Definitely digging the modulation options, very powerful and - as you say - one to explore long term.

• @despego You can easily kill the sound using the Panic button on the controller, or by sending MIDI CC 120, as described in the manual.

• edited April 2021

@Gavinski said:

@louis said:
    Fingers crossed this is the MPE synth that gets it right!

May well be, but it is definitely not a plug n play mpe synth, very very far from it. It does have note off as mod source so that is a refreshing change!

That's sad. Is it a pain in the ass to program mpe presets? I don't mind intense sound design sessions, but my biggest grip with iOs MPE synths is how they constantly gaslight me into thinking my gear is not working.

If no fabled MPE mothership for the Ios is released soon I'll probably forget about using my ipad as a synth all together and just use it as a drum machine (I've ruled out using it as an effects pedal for my trumpet because the connectivity is so fucking finicky. There's only so many times I'll ruin a group jam session by troubleshooting my usb hub /audio interface/ usb cable/ power source/ ipad itself / why the fuck isn't it just working like it did earlier today when I was by myself). I have about 30 seconds left in my entire life to be fiddling around with bad MPE controls. Once the Osmose is released I'll likely never look anywhere else. Even then though.... my ipad will be the best drum machine on the market so it's still a great piece of kit

• @uncledave said:
    @despego You can easily kill the sound using the Panic button on the controller, or by sending MIDI CC 120, as described in the manual.

Got it! I saw it today and then I forgot, while I was writing!

@louis said:

@Gavinski said:

@louis said:

May well be, but it is definitely not a plug n play mpe synth, very very far from it. It does have note off as mod source so that is a refreshing change!

That's sad. Is it a pain in the ass to program mpe presets? I don't mind intense sound design sessions, but my biggest grip with iOs MPE synths is how they constantly gaslight me into thinking my gear is not working.

If no fabled MPE mothership for the Ios is released soon I'll probably forget about using my ipad as a synth all together and just use it as a drum machine (I've ruled out using it as an effects pedal for my trumpet because the connectivity is so fucking finicky. There's only so many times I'll ruin a group jam session by troubleshooting my usb hub /audio interface/ usb cable/ power source/ ipad itself / why the fuck isn't it just working like it did earlier today when I was by myself). I have about 30 seconds left in my entire life to be fiddling around with bad MPE controls. Once the Osmose is released I'll likely never look anywhere else. Even then though.... my ipad will be the best drum machine on the market so it's still a great piece of kit

I gave up on MPE in the iPad a while ago. And yet there are a few MPE synths out there that, while not perfect, do a pretty good job. Maybe because I don't expect anything I'm quite happy when someone takes the job to add it to a synth. Roli and the people at Expressive-E Osmose, Haken Audio etc have a lot of resources to pay to sound designers and make good presets but I couldn't expect the same of an iOS developer. Regarding the ID700, the flexibility which I can wire modulation is really good in my opinion. I am not a sound designer at all and I'm still chasing after a "sound" but releases like this motivate me.

I think I will see a "fabled MPE mothership" one someone makes "instruments". Simple sound engines with minimal modulation that can do one thing: think of a piano or violin or flute which you can control with the MPE modulation sources and that's it. Think one of the SWAM instruments (just polyphonic) and not necessarily imitating "real" instruments (here Mononoke could be a good contender if it wasn't for the 4 notes limit 🙄)

Speaking of instruments, that's the word used for ID700 (just a little bit more complex than the ones I'm thinking about :smile: )

• @louis said:

@Gavinski said:

@louis said:

That's sad. Is it a pain in the ass to program mpe presets? My biggest grip with iOs MPE synths is how they gaslight me into thinking my gear is not working.

It isn’t hard to program presets that are MPE-responsive in this synth. It will require an investment of some of time to learn to program this synth. If one is already comfortable with the architecture of something like a DX7, the learning curve is not steep. Getting a feel for how waveshaping works may take some time if that is unfamiliar. If FM isn’t so,etching one has a feel for that will take some time.

I think the comments about ID700 not being a "plug 'n play" synth are not on-target as it leaves the impression that somehow the synth isn't living up to some promise. This is a unique and deep synth and it is geared towards people interested in learning its architecture and spending time creating new intriguing sounds not readily created with other synths. I don’t think it is geared towards the “I mostly use presets” sort of synthesist.

If one is looking for a plug-in-play of any sort this isn’t it...and it isn’t meant to be.

• @espiegel123 said:
    I think the comments about ID700 not being a "plug 'n play" synth are not on-target as it leaves the impression that somehow the synth isn't living up to some promise. This is a unique and deep synth and it is geared towards people interested in learning its architecture and spending time creating new intriguing sounds not readily created with other synths. I don’t think it is geared towards the “I mostly use presets” sort of synthesist.

If one is looking for a plug-in-play of any sort this isn’t it...and it isn’t meant to be.

And yet I find the sounds in the Fortepiano beautiful and expressive, MPE or not.

• edited April 2021

@Philandering_Bastard said:

@ashh said:

As per @modosc one has to pay attention to the amp envelope. The can be long, over 10 seconds in some presets and will play through / carry over when switching presets.

If you adjust the time scaling ALL the envelopes can reach up to 128 seconds! Some serious 1 note patches.

@espiegel123 said:

@louis said:

@Gavinski said:

@louis said:

That's sad. Is it a pain in the ass to program mpe presets? My biggest grip with iOs MPE synths is how they gaslight me into thinking my gear is not working.

It isn’t hard to program presets that are MPE-responsive in this synth. It will require an investment of some of time to learn to program this synth. If one is already comfortable with the architecture of something like a DX7, the learning curve is not steep. Getting a feel for how waveshaping works may take some time if that is unfamiliar. If FM isn’t so,etching one has a feel for that will take some time.

While I don’t have a true mpe controller “qunexus” , I think creating a decent template patch for mpe looks pretty straight forward. While this synth runs deep on options/programming it’s a breeze to move around once you get the basics down.

I could see the “preset” crowd not really getting as much out of this as there is to be had.

• Looks and sounds very interesting from what i have seen!

Debating if i should buy it...
    Im not a pure presets user(having a range to chose from for guidance doesn’t hurt haha) but I’m also no expert in sounddesign(trying to get into it).
    Question would be if it’s more useful for experimental/ambient sounds or for all types/gernes(evolving basses, pads,plucks ect.) ?

• @despego said:

@espiegel123 said:

And yet I find the sounds in the Fortepiano beautiful and expressive, MPE or not.

Don’t get me wrong, it has great sounding presets...and in my opinion is a very rewarding synth.

• @espiegel123 said:

@louis said:

@Gavinski said:

@louis said:

I said is not a plug n play mpe synth and I stand by that. It has literally about 5 or 10 mpe presets and they're not even that interesting. Despite that it is a good mpe implementation, in terms of having all 5 aspects of mpe. As mentioned though, it will take time for most of us to learn how to program it in general. That's a separate point though

• @Gavinski said:

@espiegel123 said:

@louis said:

@Gavinski said:

@louis said:

I said is not a plug n play mpe synth and I stand by that. It has literally about 5 or 10 mpe presets and they're not even that interesting. Despite that it is a good mpe implementation, in terms of having all 5 aspects of mpe. As mentioned though, it will take time for most of us to learn how to program it in general. That's a separate point though

Let me put it another way. I think that the degree to which it is rich with "plug and play" presets is irrelevant to the quality of the synth or its MPE implementation.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:

@espiegel123 said:

@louis said:

@Gavinski said:

@louis said:

Let me put it another way. I think that the degree to which it is rich with "plug and play" presets is irrelevant to the quality of the synth or its MPE implementation.

Yes it is, I agree, but it is relevant to those people who like a synth that comes with good mpe patches out of the box

• @Nathi94 said:
    Looks and sounds very interesting from what i have seen!

Im not a pure presets user(having a range to chose from for guidance doesn’t hurt haha) but I’m also no expert in sounddesign(trying to get into it).
    Question would be if it’s more useful for experimental/ambient sounds or for all types/gernes(evolving basses, pads,plucks ect.) ?

It’s a 4 operator FM synth, like the Yamaha TX-81Z which is justly famous for basses, plucks and the like. ID700 is much more capable than the Yamaha which makes it a bit overkill IMO but there’s no reason it can’t do a Lately Bass. Doug has a long demo:

• @Nathi94 said:
    Looks and sounds very interesting from what i have seen!

Get it 😎

• edited April 2021

Hi!

Just got it!

Does it work in standalone mode?
    It freezes at the start screen (ID700) and then crashes.
    Reinstalled, rebooted, etc. Still the same :(

But it seems ok as AUv3 in AUM.
    Going to try it better now, I'm very excited about this synth!

iPad Air 1 iOS 12.5.1