Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ID700 IS HERE

Comments

• @espiegel123 said:

@israelite said:
    Are you guys happy with the app?
    After surfing through factory presets, i am a bit disappointed, had 1000% more fun with phasemaker (in the area of digital synthesis).

I think this is a great synth -- and it rewards spending the time to understand it. If one is primarily a preset surfer looking for somewhat familiar sounds then ID700 might not be what someone is looking for.

On the other hand, there are all new fields to be plowed with this app and quite a few sound designers here might be enticed to create presets. :)

• @tahiche said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Poppadocrock said:

@uncledave said:

@Poppadocrock said:
    Just to clarify this is AUv3 correct?

First things that puzzle me right off the start, before heading to the manual:

• can’t see how to set volume of the waveforms, usually with oscillators you can set the volume of each
    • The envelopes seem like the most powerful and flexible I’ve ever encountered. But I can’t sync it to the bpm! 😩
    • Indexes are a total mastery...
      I’d appreciate a “ID700” for dummies, besides the due manual reading.
      Btw: you’re right it’s totally different to ivcs3. It’s like crazy cousins that don’t look alike at all but, you know, they’re both crazy,

The oscillators aren’t oscillators in the traditional sense, where you have independent sound generators that are mixed together. In FM synthesis they are often called operators and generators instead and which is which depends on the algorithm currently in use. In other words, oscillator 3 could be modulating oscillator 2 or vice versa. Individual volume therefore doesn’t make much sense.

In addition, the behaviour of the wavefolder is influenced by the volume of the signal that’s being sent into it, so you will see an amplitude index put in series before it.

Hope that makes a little bit of sense.

• @modosc Holy crap! This is the synth of the year for me! It's everything I love about FM and modular in a polysynth. The UI has an amazing level of depth, but it's not at all complex to navigate and create new patches. Thank you for creating this! Absolutely amazing!!! 🙏🙏🙏

• Can anyone confirm? Are the knobs circular motion only? No option to change that to linear motion?

• @wim said:
    Can anyone confirm? Are the knobs circular motion only? No option to change that to linear motion?

Pretty sure circular only. I didn’t see anything in the settings to change them. I’ll take another look.

• @wim said:
    Can anyone confirm? Are the knobs circular motion only? No option to change that to linear motion?

@wim knobs have only circular motion - I couldn't find anything to change them either. That said, there are 4 knobs in this synth, the rest are sliders (and they do a good job).

And don't you think @modosc, you could look at it (by popular demand)?

• Ugh. Thanks @Shiloh and @despego . I was afraid of that.

I know it's stupid, but I got a thing about that and I can't shake it. Maybe I can deal if there are only four knobs though. Just gotta man-up. :D

• I’m with you @wim. This thing makes some amazing noises though.

• @wim said:
    Ugh. Thanks @Shiloh and @despego . I was afraid of that.

I know it's stupid, but I got a thing about that and I can't shake it. Maybe I can deal if there are only four knobs though. Just gotta man-up. :D

Not only are there only three knobs...they aren't knobs you spends lot of time with: algorithm, time scaling , fine tuning, main out.

• Good to know, @espiegel123 thanks for the info. That does make it palatable.

• Algorithm is a great knob.

• @louis said:
    Fingers crossed this is the MPE synth that gets it right!

🤞

@wim said:
    Ugh. Thanks @Shiloh and @despego . I was afraid of that.

Not at all stupid. It’s the reason I deleted Fugue Machine from my iPad. But 1, only 4 knobs; 2, just released and 3,

@drcongo said:
    This thing makes some amazing noises though.

• Yeah the circular knobs are a bit frustrating but as was mentioned earlier, they are very precise so feel good.
    The algorithm is the main knob I use the most and it's already mapped to AUM's default macro knob so I use that :)

• @wim said:
    Good to know, @espiegel123 thanks for the info. That does make it palatable.

For what its worth, I don't treat them as knobs. If you put your finger on a spot on the knob, it immediately adjusts to that position. One doesn't need to turn the knob.

• edited April 2021

This is a lofi, ambient machine! Moody as heck. Loving the jazziness of ID700. Chords sound delicious... I do see the spikes though. I’m sure subsequent updates will address it. $7.99 is a steal right now! @LinearLineman wow!

• edited April 2021

OMG the 808 patch and bass patches are 🔥
    I love the patch descriptions too!

• @auxmux said:
    @modosc Holy crap! This is the synth of the year for me! It's everything I love about FM and modular in a polysynth. The UI has an amazing level of depth, but it's not at all complex to navigate and create new patches. Thank you for creating this! Absolutely amazing!!! 🙏🙏🙏

@auxmux said:
    Algorithm is a great knob.

Looking forward to your ig jams with this one, and after that algo knob is magic

@Stuntman_mike said:
    This is a lofi, ambient machine! Moody as heck. Loving the jazziness of ID700. Chords sound delicious... I do see the spikes though. I’m sure subsequent updates will address it. $7.99 is a steal right now!wow!

Absolutely is

• @reasOne Thanks man, I'm patching away here. 😄

• I’ve got a couple instances going inside DSA, crazy.. I like it!

• @despego said:
    I just had a short play, stand alone, while I tested it around with the Linnstrument and these are the notes I wrote while I played:

Shouldn't the sound respond to changes in the AMP envelope? I try to shorten one of those long envelopes after I've pressed some notes. But the sound goes on and on, no matter how much I shorten the envelope.

MPE midi channels: it seems that MPE takes all the channels? It would be nice to be able to limit this to the actual number of voices (+ the common channel).

MPE pitch bend could well be extended to 48 (standard, according to the MPE specifications). Anyway it works well, even with my Linn set to 48 and ID700 to 24

Love the animations!

The Fortepiano presets are amazing. Really good response to velocity.

The overall MPE implementation seems at first sight amazing. I have full control of the amplitude with pressure and yet I still can use the envelopes. The visual clues are a god send. Amazing to see the ups and downs of every voice.

Plays very well with the Linnstrument.

I like the design. Maybe a bit sober but it is very clear in my eyes (and I still have to learn where to look at). Yes, font can be too small at some places but it is a crowded interface (full of wonder). I see now that the pop-up window in the OSC (where you find ratio, interval and so on) is extremely small. I think it is very well laid down.

Yes, the circular movement of the buttons is kind of hell (remember Fugue Machine?) but the sliders are for the most part pretty accurate. Have you ever dial something in your X synth and then, when you lift the finger, the value changes as "magic" (and it's not what you want) and you try again and again and again until you (almost) throw the iPad on the wall and promise to yourself you're never ever going to make music on iOS again? Well, it doesn't happen here.

But the sliders in the wave editor are kind of tricky. I'm used to touch a slider then move my finger to the side so I see what I'm doing. Only that if you move your finger to the side, you will be changing the value(s) of the next(s) harmonic(s).

The sound is lovely. I love sines, I love FM, Buchlish, Aalto-ish. Definitely some learning curve here but just a bit of patience.

Overall, pretty solid. I was longing for a (good) MPE synth on iOS and I think I've found it.

I'm going to give this 5 stars right now.

Good comments! I believe 24 works here because here it must mean 24 octaves up or down which the standard way also means (48=24 up and 24 down). I Think so.

about my problems with seaboard, dev just told me the current workaround is to reduce number of misi channels to 12.

If that works, the mpe implementation will be good, though the mpe presets that come with the app are highly uninspiring. Be prepared to spend lots of time making your own mpe presets, though it is fun to do so!

• @wim said:

@despego said:
    I just had a short play, stand alone, while I tested it around with the Linnstrument and these are the notes I wrote while I played:

Shouldn't the sound respond to changes in the AMP envelope? I try to shorten one of those long envelopes after I've pressed some notes. But the sound goes on and on, no matter how much I shorten the envelope.

Looking at Doug's video, it seems like notes get their amp envelope when triggered. So if you change the envelope after a note has been triggered, it's gonna keep playing until it dies. I don't have the app yet so I can't try that hypothesis out.

Yes, the circular movement of the buttons is kind of hell (remember Fugue Machine?) but the sliders are for the most part pretty accurate. Have you ever dial something in your X synth and then, when you lift the finger, the value changes as "magic" (and it's not what you want) and you try again and again and again until you (almost) throw the iPad on the wall and promise to yourself you're never ever going to make music on iOS again? Well, it doesn't happen here.

eeeewwwww. Really? I hate circular motion knobs so much. That's almost enough to make me not want to buy it. Please tell me there's an option for vertical or horizontal movement for knobs?

I hate that too, have asked dev to add linear with fine control ton horizontal and coarse control on vertical

• @louis said:
    Fingers crossed this is the MPE synth that gets it right!

May well be, but it is definitely not a plug n play mpe synth, very very far from it. It does have note off as mod source so that is a refreshing change!

• @espiegel123 said:

@israelite said:
    After surfing through factory presets, i am a bit disappointed, had 1000% more fun with phasemaker (in the area of digital synthesis).

I think this is a great synth -- and it rewards spending the time to understand it. If one is primarily a preset surfer looking for somewhat familiar sounds then ID700 might not be what someone is looking for.

Yes I think this is probably true Ed. This is for people willing to experiment and put the time in and for that it is likely to reap huge rewards. But yeah, definitely wondering if syncable env points might be a winner

• @Gavinski said:

@wim said:

@despego said:

Looking at Doug's video, it seems like notes get their amp envelope when triggered. So if you change the envelope after a note has been triggered, it's gonna keep playing until it dies. I don't have the app yet so I can't try that hypothesis out.

eeeewwwww. Really? I hate circular motion knobs so much. That's almost enough to make me not want to buy it. Please tell me there's an option for vertical or horizontal movement for knobs?

I hate that too, have asked dev to add linear with fine control ton horizontal and coarse control on vertical

The other improvement we definitely need, is the common "double tap knob or slider to reset to default position" feature. Or even better, since it's often impossible to dial in a specific value, would be a keypad feature, as seen in Mela Synth.

• @Svetlovska said:
    @Gavinski @Poppadocrock : I think Gav is right. They are presets , I.e. repeatable and identical each time you select them, described as ‘Randomly Generated Parameters’ , but how they were ‘randomly generated’ in the first place isn’t clear to me. Perhaps @modosc could enlighten us?

I certainly can’t find a ‘just hit the button and everything gets scrambled’ thing anywhere. Unfortunately.

Is it uainft> @Skyblazer said:

@Gavinski said:

@wim said:

@despego said:

The other improvement we definitely need, is the common "double tap knob or slider to reset to default position" feature. Or even better, since it's often impossible to dial in a specific value, would be a keypad feature, as seen in Mela Synth.

Definitely @modosc

• After a whole ten minutes ...I think the panic button should be bigger.

Insanely powerful "thing"... has a mind of its own. Gonna be a lot of fun.

• Hey @modosc , congrats on your release, fantastic app.

One thing that I kept wishing I could do, is modulating the amplitudes of the Chebyshev terms. Do you think that could be on your radar as a future update? In order not to blow it all up with too many modulation sources, you could decide on a couple of meta modulators, e.g. for all odd terms, every 5th term, or some such.

Regardless, love the app, thanks for your great contribution to the community.

• This synth and alteza are a perfect pair

• I’ve looked at my synth rack several times today and just went “eh” and then kept playing this

• edited April 2021

@NeuM said:

@espiegel123 said:

@israelite said:

On the other hand, there are all new fields to be plowed with this app and quite a few sound designers here might be enticed to create presets. :)

The app indeed looks quite complex and capable of delivering something new. Let's see what the future and our fellow sound designers will bring :sunglasses: