Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ID700 IS HERE

Comments

• @tahiche said:

@ashh said:
    I love the visual representaion of the audio's path! How do I learn about why it is making the sound the way it is? I guess I'm asking about sound design? How do I use this excellent tool to help me learn sound design? I understand that every synth is different. I just want to utilise this.

Just messing a bit more. This thing is nuts! LOVE IT!!!!!!

I skipped through the SoundTestRoom walkthrough and loved the little dots!. Really handy for synth knoobs as myself.
    Given that I don’t need another synth. Do I need this one?. I love IVCS3, although I can’t tame it, it’s beyond my capabilities and patience. The ID700 sounds to me like it’s in the same category sound wise. Is it?. Sounds dirty and like dusty circuits, sort of unpredictable.
    This one does seem more manageable than IVCS3, I have a hard time getting ivcs3 to play anything in tune. Is it a valid comparison?.

I don’t have iVCS3 but if you compare the hardware each is inspired from, they’re very very different beast.
    The 700 is unashamedly a digital synth in terms of its architecture and sounds.
    That being said, if you’re looking for tame sounds, there are probably others more suited to what you’re looking for. It’s not that the 700 can’t be tamed, it’s super capable of very clean and pretty sounds but in terms of experimentation, things can get hairy quick if you’re just aimlessly twiddling.

• @ronnieb said:

@tahiche said:

@ashh said:
    I love the visual representaion of the audio's path! How do I learn about why it is making the sound the way it is? I guess I'm asking about sound design? How do I use this excellent tool to help me learn sound design? I understand that every synth is different. I just want to utilise this.

I skipped through the SoundTestRoom walkthrough and loved the little dots!. Really handy for synth knoobs as myself.
    Given that I don’t need another synth. Do I need this one?. I love IVCS3, although I can’t tame it, it’s beyond my capabilities and patience. The ID700 sounds to me like it’s in the same category sound wise. Is it?. Sounds dirty and like dusty circuits, sort of unpredictable.
    This one does seem more manageable than IVCS3, I have a hard time getting ivcs3 to play anything in tune. Is it a valid comparison?.

I don’t have iVCS3 but if you compare the hardware each is inspired from, they’re very very different beast.
    That being said, if you’re looking for tame sounds, there are probably others more suited to what you’re looking for. It’s not that the 700 can’t be tamed, it’s super capable of very clean and pretty sounds but in terms of experimentation, things can get hairy quick if you’re just aimlessly twiddling.

No, just the opposite.!. Didn’t explain myself. I love the unpredictable nature of ivcs3, I’d buy it again and again. It’s my favorite synth. Sounds different to everything else. But I can’t tame it. It’s a wild beast so I just let it take me wherever it wants.
    My only wish with the ivcs3 and that’s what I want to compare with the id700 is that I could reliably get it to play stuff in tune. Ivcs3 has those oscillators with weird numbers to get them in tune, so that if you play a C# it sounds like a C#... I don’t mind weird and crazy, love it, but I’d like to sometimes be in tune 😬

• edited April 2021

@tahiche did you know that a recent update added a pop up menu that allows you to set ivcs3 oscillators to a standard tuning, or multiples thereof, very easily?

• @Gavinski said:
    @tahiche did you know that a recent update added a pop up menu that allows you to set ivcs3 oscillators to a standard tuning, or multiples thereof, very easily?

Gav..
    Are you doing a video on this?
    I picked it up and figured out a few things but def could appreciate one of those good videos!

• Love it, sounds fantastic!

• @tahiche said:

@ronnieb said:

@tahiche said:

@ashh said:

No, just the opposite.!. Didn’t explain myself. I love the unpredictable nature of ivcs3, I’d buy it again and again. It’s my favorite synth. Sounds different to everything else. But I can’t tame it. It’s a wild beast so I just let it take me wherever it wants.
    My only wish with the ivcs3 and that’s what I want to compare with the id700 is that I could reliably get it to play stuff in tune. Ivcs3 has those oscillators with weird numbers to get them in tune, so that if you play a C# it sounds like a C#... I don’t mind weird and crazy, love it, but I’d like to sometimes be in tune 😬

FWIW, there is a discussion on Audiobus Forum where JEC (I think that is who it was) gave a clear explanation of setting up the keyboard voltages to play in standard tuning. It isn’t unpredictable or random ... just different from other synths. Worth looking up.

ID700 is set up more normally with regards to tuning in the respect you mention.

• Just to clarify this is AUv3 correct?

• @espiegel123 said:

@tahiche said:

@ronnieb said:

@tahiche said:

@ashh said:

ID700 is set up more normally with regards to tuning in the respect you mention.

Great to know!.

FWIW, there is a discussion on Audiobus Forum where JEC (I think that is who it was) gave a clear explanation of setting up the keyboard voltages to play in standard tuning. It isn’t unpredictable or random ... just different from other synths. Worth looking up.

Ive watched a few of those. I even wrote it all on a pdf for reference. But still feels intimidating. I like what I’m seeing in the id700. The arpegiator looks fun and I love the little dots following the envelopes, great idea.

• Yup, might take a few days though. Wish the dev had had me on beta!

@reasOne said:

@Gavinski said:

Gav..
    Are you doing a video on this?
    I picked it up and figured out a few things but def could appreciate one of those good videos!

• This is great, has anyone asked for a randomizer yet? :)

• @Poppadocrock said:
    Just to clarify this is AUv3 correct?

Yes it is. And does a nice job sharing its AUv3 parameters as well.

• @uncledave said:

@Poppadocrock said:

Awesome. Thanks for that.

Couple quick questions 1. Ballpark Amount of Presets either on board or available elsewhere? 2. How steep is Learning Curve? 3. How is it on CPU/DSP?

• edited April 2021

@Carnbot : I have. It does have randomiser functions in the folder called, er, Rand, but it would be way cooler to have a ‘roll the dice/click to include/exclude parameters’ option somewhere, if @modosc is listening...

@Poppadocrock : to understand what you are doing would depend on how great a sound designer you already are, though the manual is pretty good. This thing has great depths, I think. To just dive in and play, though: surprisingly, very usable even for a klutz like me. Just remember to hit the normalize button if things start getting out of hand.

I haven’t counted how many presets, but there’s a few dozen, and most a) sound great and b) serve some sort of illustrative or tutorial role with a helpful dialog explaining what they are about, spread across bass, lead, pads, effects, drums, and ‘random’.

Very light on CPU - the track I put up, with lots of big reverbs, sequencers and what not, running as well, plus 4 instances of the app itself never overtopped about 35% on my 2018 IPad.

• edited April 2021

@Svetlovska said:
    @Carnbot : I have. It does have randomiser functions in the folder called, er, Rand, but it would be way cooler to have a ‘roll the dice/click to include/exclude parameters’ option somewhere, if @modosc is listening...

That’s great to know, I love a good Rando patch generator.

• @Poppadocrock said:

@uncledave said:

@Poppadocrock said:

Couple quick questions 1. Ballpark Amount of Presets either on board or available elsewhere? 2. How steep is Learning Curve? 3. How is it on CPU/DSP?

The learning curve would depend on: 1) how well you understand sound synthesis (including FM) already generally, 2) willingness to read a short well-written manuals, 3) understanding of signal flow. If something like a DX7 is understandable to you, the learning curve (if willing to read the manual and dissect some sample patches) is minor. Like on a DX7, there are algorithms that change up how things are wired together. People used to fixed architectures will need to spend some time learning about signal flow.

In many ways, the architecture is simple but its flexibility will take getting used to for people used to synths that have fixed architecture. Also, if one is not comfortable with FM, it may seem unpredictable.

• You'll love ID700 then, every parameter is a random patch generator. :)

• @Svetlovska said:

@Poppadocrock : to understand what you are doing would depend on how great a sound designer you already are, though the manual is pretty good. This thing has great depths, I think. To just dive in and play, though: surprisingly, very usable even for a klutz like me. Just remember to hit the normalize button if things start getting out of hand.

I haven’t counted how many presets, but there’s a few dozen, and most a) sound great and b) serve some sort of illustrative or tutorial role with a helpful dialog explaining what they are about, spread across bass, lead, pads, effects, drums, and ‘random’.

Very light on CPU - the track I put up, with lots of big reverbs, sequencers and what not, running as well, plus 4 instances of the app itself never overtopped about 35% on my 2018 IPad.

I don't think it has a patch randomizer. I'm guessing the random folder has presets that use the stepped / smooth randomization feature related to envelopes? But pretty sure it doesn'take random patches, if it does it is definitely not mentioned in the manual.

• One thing that I am really liking about this: it seems very solid and not buggy. Surprising!

• Any Plans to see this on iPhone

• I've only found one bug so far...the preset list is pretty hit or miss when you're using an Apple Pencil...

• edited April 2021

@Gavinski @Poppadocrock : I think Gav is right. They are presets , I.e. repeatable and identical each time you select them, described as ‘Randomly Generated Parameters’ , but how they were ‘randomly generated’ in the first place isn’t clear to me. Perhaps @modosc could enlighten us?

I certainly can’t find a ‘just hit the button and everything gets scrambled’ thing anywhere. Unfortunately.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Poppadocrock said:

@uncledave said:

@Poppadocrock said:

The learning curve would depend on: 1) how well you understand sound synthesis (including FM) already generally, 2) willingness to read a short well-written manuals, 3) understanding of signal flow. If something like a DX7 is understandable to you, the learning curve (if willing to read the manual and dissect some sample patches) is minor. Like on a DX7, there are algorithms that change up how things are wired together. People used to fixed architectures will need to spend some time learning about signal flow.

In many ways, the architecture is simple but its flexibility will take getting used to for people used to synths that have fixed architecture. Also, if one is not comfortable with FM, it may seem unpredictable.

This sort of summarizes it for me: Unpredictable. Steep learning curve. Fun.
    I don’t know if I’m even “used to fixed architectures”, this thing is not easy.
    First things that puzzle me right off the start, before heading to the manual:

• can’t see how to set volume of the waveforms, usually with oscillators you can set the volume of each
    • The envelopes seem like the most powerful and flexible I’ve ever encountered. But I can’t sync it to the bpm! 😩
    • Indexes are a total mastery...
      I’d appreciate a “ID700” for dummies, besides the due manual reading.
      Btw: you’re right it’s totally different to ivcs3. It’s like crazy cousins that don’t look alike at all but, you know, they’re both crazy,
  • I love the sound of this synth - and it’s rock solid in standalone at 256 buffer.

But unfortunately when I use it as an AUv3 i get very erratic DSP use, and random CPU spikes and crackles. even at 2048 buffer!!

It happens playing chords through 1 instance of ID700 in AUM (Ipad Pro 10.5, iOS 14.4)

• I just had a short play, stand alone, while I tested it around with the Linnstrument and these are the notes I wrote while I played:

Shouldn't the sound respond to changes in the AMP envelope? I try to shorten one of those long envelopes after I've pressed some notes. But the sound goes on and on, no matter how much I shorten the envelope.

MPE midi channels: it seems that MPE takes all the channels? It would be nice to be able to limit this to the actual number of voices (+ the common channel).

MPE pitch bend could well be extended to 48 (standard, according to the MPE specifications). Anyway it works well, even with my Linn set to 48 and ID700 to 24

Love the animations!

The Fortepiano presets are amazing. Really good response to velocity.

The overall MPE implementation seems at first sight amazing. I have full control of the amplitude with pressure and yet I still can use the envelopes. The visual clues are a god send. Amazing to see the ups and downs of every voice.

Plays very well with the Linnstrument.

I like the design. Maybe a bit sober but it is very clear in my eyes (and I still have to learn where to look at). Yes, font can be too small at some places but it is a crowded interface (full of wonder). I see now that the pop-up window in the OSC (where you find ratio, interval and so on) is extremely small. I think it is very well laid down.

Yes, the circular movement of the buttons is kind of hell (remember Fugue Machine?) but the sliders are for the most part pretty accurate. Have you ever dial something in your X synth and then, when you lift the finger, the value changes as "magic" (and it's not what you want) and you try again and again and again until you (almost) throw the iPad on the wall and promise to yourself you're never ever going to make music on iOS again? Well, it doesn't happen here.

But the sliders in the wave editor are kind of tricky. I'm used to touch a slider then move my finger to the side so I see what I'm doing. Only that if you move your finger to the side, you will be changing the value(s) of the next(s) harmonic(s).

The sound is lovely. I love sines, I love FM, Buchlish, Aalto-ish. Definitely some learning curve here but just a bit of patience.

Overall, pretty solid. I was longing for a (good) MPE synth on iOS and I think I've found it.

I'm going to give this 5 stars right now.

• Are you guys happy with the app?
    After surfing through factory presets, i am a bit disappointed, had 1000% more fun with phasemaker (in the area of digital synthesis).

• @israelite said:
    Are you guys happy with the app?
    After surfing through factory presets, i am a bit disappointed, had 1000% more fun with phasemaker (in the area of digital synthesis).

I think this is a great synth -- and it rewards spending the time to understand it. If one is primarily a preset surfer looking for somewhat familiar sounds then ID700 might not be what someone is looking for.

• edited April 2021

Yeah it can get a little twitchy on the cpu when using chords.

• @despego said:
    I just had a short play, stand alone, while I tested it around with the Linnstrument and these are the notes I wrote while I played:

Shouldn't the sound respond to changes in the AMP envelope? I try to shorten one of those long envelopes after I've pressed some notes. But the sound goes on and on, no matter how much I shorten the envelope.

Looking at Doug's video, it seems like notes get their amp envelope when triggered. So if you change the envelope after a note has been triggered, it's gonna keep playing until it dies. I don't have the app yet so I can't try that hypothesis out.

Yes, the circular movement of the buttons is kind of hell (remember Fugue Machine?) but the sliders are for the most part pretty accurate. Have you ever dial something in your X synth and then, when you lift the finger, the value changes as "magic" (and it's not what you want) and you try again and again and again until you (almost) throw the iPad on the wall and promise to yourself you're never ever going to make music on iOS again? Well, it doesn't happen here.

eeeewwwww. Really? I hate circular motion knobs so much. That's almost enough to make me not want to buy it. Please tell me there's an option for vertical or horizontal movement for knobs?

• Fingers crossed this is the MPE synth that gets it right!

• I really appreciate the info. Cheers all.