Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Buchla ID700 dropped on iOS (Jonathan Schatz, modosc designs)

Comments

• edited April 2021

Super enjoyable! (IOS 13.6 - 12.9" Pro - no issues here)

• @modosc said:

@NeuM said:
    One word of caution: Folks, you could blow your ears out or destroy your audio system if you’re not careful with these sounds. I’d ask that the developer add a limiter to this to protect and preserve our hearing. These waveforms can quickly cascade into earshatteringly loud sounds.

i'll add a limiter but can i post this testimonial on the product page?

😂

Barricade true peak engaged. Lessss Go!

• @gusgranite said:

Now I want to hear what you’re creating right there.

• @Synthi said:
    Amazing synth, thanks! Tried for some hours and I love it! Also have some suggestions @modosc :

Would be great having envelope times, random time, etc... not only in seconds but in sync subdivisions too! so all that quasi arps and sequences can follow project tempo. Also would be great for other rhythmic stuff.

Also missing an option for the stepped random to change values on note on ONLY. The trick of using long times works only for percussive sounds but not for sustained sounds... I wish I can have not changing random values for each note press.

A rotate mode for the voices allocation

Other great addition that could expand the timbres a lot would be having automation for the Even/odd and Tilt WaveSHAPER parameters.

Great suggestions. This is an amazing synth, @modosc. Instantly one of my favorites.

Couple of refinements I'd like to see:
    1) Linear knob movement, preferably by default.
    2) Larger and brighter text, wherever possible. On the algorithm page, the words "frequency, ratio, amplitude" etc. could be brighter. The bars/buttons for waves and presets could be a little bit taller. Most of the labels couldn't be enlarged without redesigning the otherwise excellent UI, but...maybe just see what you can do? :)

• @modosc Great one. Thank you.

Regarding the UI, I'm with @Skyblazer though!

• This is such a treat! I love vintage synth emulations, but especially the rare and exotic that very few have heard before.

I was so intrigued by the sound of this app, I’ve been looking into the Buchla 700 HW it’s modeled after. It’s one of the most advanced synths of its day, somewhat akin to a Fairlight CMI of the synth world. Apparently there are only a small handful of working models in the wild. (under 12?) , So I imagine the price would be somewhere in the same ballpark as vintage CMI, although likely more expensive to maintain.

Here’s a clip of Alessandro Cortini demonstrating his, just after 12:48 timestamp:

• what an absolutely bonkers app. Love it, so many great sounds, very inspiring

• @rs2000 said:
    @modosc Great one. Thank you.

Regarding the UI, I'm with @Skyblazer though!

Me too and have reported these kind of issues to the dev. Contrast of text is definitely too low, and need a linear knob option. Apart from that, great. I'd also like to see a larger window option for dialing in harmonics, extremely easy to enter unintended results, and I am no sausage hands.

• edited April 2021

@modosc : Early feedback: I think this UI, though it could certainly be brighter and more legible, is functionally genius for giving so much access to so much stuff without menu diving hell. For such a deep and complex app, it positively invites monkey-with-a-typewriter tweaking its’ many parameters, (my default, ah, ‘method’), and the little animated thumbnails showing what is going on across the sound letting you bop easily from area to area are excellent. (Great and interesting manual, too, btw!)

It’s also great just to sweep through different algorithms on a patch just to see how it changes the sound.

I’m curious about the random presets, though, and wonder if it might be a more immediately accessible idea to have a random ‘dice’ button on the front page, with the option to turn randomisable parameters on and off (maybe by clicking on each area of the gui and highlighting those selected to include/exclude in the dice roll in a different colour?). I do love my random patch generation... :)

Great work, though, potentially the most sonically distinctive synth app I’ve come across since iVCS3, I think. Finally, an app which lets me go very slooooooooooooow!

Update: plays very nice with MIDILFOs! 👍 Currently getting Bladerunner vibes. This is always a good thing.

• how is it on cpu ?
    thanks.

• @espiegel123 said:

@NimboStratus said:
    Crashes when changing presets in AUM

It works find for me using ID700's preset browser and the next/previous buttons in AUM.

How are you changing presets?

If I change presets via the toolbar in the AUv3 within AUM it seems to crash but doesn’t when changing the preset from the preset menu in ID700 itself

• @NimboStratus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@NimboStratus said:
    Crashes when changing presets in AUM

It works find for me using ID700's preset browser and the next/previous buttons in AUM.

How are you changing presets?

If I change presets via the toolbar in the AUv3 within AUM it seems to crash but doesn’t when changing the preset from the preset menu in ID700 itself

Mine worked the first couple of times when I changed the presets through AUM but the crashed.
    All seems fine through the app preset menu.

@waka_x said:
    how is it on cpu ?
    thanks.

It’s a bit of hungry hippo on a complex patches using a lot of voices simultaneously (to be expected with this sort of detail/power) but seems pretty well optimised so far, I’m on an Air 4

• Btw if you have any inclination to west cost synthesis, just get this. It does not disappoint. It’s a deep beast but as others have said, defo invites twiddling. Killer work @modosc, thank you for this !

• Bloomin’ Lovely B)

• @modosc very well written and laid-out manual. Under 6.3.1.3 you speak of „ID700‘s wavetable synthesis“. Many users will associate wavetable synthesis with the one introduced by Wolfgang Palm, i.e. a series of waveforms read out according to an index.

What’s the function of the two little action icons to the top right of the envelope window? The right one duplicates undo from what I can tell but the left one (open in) doesn’t do anything?

• So here’s my first proper effort with it, 4 instances, Drum Computer, and sundry reverbs: I do think it’s good! :)

• @Philandering_Bastard said:
    What’s the function of the two little action icons to the top right of the envelope window? The right one duplicates undo from what I can tell but the left one (open in) doesn’t do anything?

I think those are for copy/paste the envelopes

• @waka_x : pretty lightweight with 4 instances running modified presets, a shedload of reverbs, Drum Computer, Riffer, Cality, MIDILFOs and MIDIGates And recording everything in File Players I was hitting around 35% on my 2018 IPad Air, latest OS.

• I would like to have different colour schemes. The UI is too dark.
    After going through all the presets, i have the illusion that it all sound the same in a way. I don't know if the presets show the device in all aspects, if that's true, then i am afraid this could be a one-trick-pony. Don't misunderstand me. I like the sound of it, but i don't think it can be integrated in many music genres. This is more for the cinematic, ambient and retro music in my opinion.
    It is still a source to adventure and to use it in another way then merely an instrument.

• @modosc Loving the envelopes in ID700 and here's a few 'things' that could improve on the concept.

Especially when editing the oscillator envelopes (for pitch) being optionally able to 'snap to semitones'(y-axis) could be handy.
    Same would go for x-axis (ie. set the 'snap grid step duration'.

Being a chip tune junkie classic 'chip arpeggios' change the pitch every 5-20ms so having a 'snap grid' would make precise editing a bit smoother. As far as I know there's currently no way to type in values.

So far it's been very stably but it is pushing my iPad Air 2 which I don't mind at all :)

• Just for info, ID700 crashes while loading (SIGKILL) on my original iPad Air running iOS 12.5.2 (latest for this device). Here are the details

Exception Type:  EXC_CRASH (SIGKILL)
    Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
    Exception Note:  EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY
    Termination Reason: Namespace SPRINGBOARD, Code 0x8badf00d
    Termination Description: SPRINGBOARD, scene-create watchdog transgression: sc.modo.instrumentdesigner.ios exhausted real (wall clock) time allowance of 19.53 seconds | ProcessVisibility: Foreground | ProcessState: Running | WatchdogEvent: scene-create | WatchdogVisibility: Foreground | WatchdogCPUStatistics: ( | "Elapsed total CPU time (seconds): 17.320 (user 17.320, system 0.000), 43% CPU", | "Elapsed application CPU time (seconds): 6.390, 16% CPU" | )

@modosc Apple should be sending you the crash logs.

Working fine on iPad 6, iPadOS 14.4.2.

• @Synthi said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:

I think those are for copy/paste the envelopes

You are correct.

• @Samu said:

@dreamrobe said:
    I am in a bit of a dilemma. ID700 is crashing my iPad air2 on ios13.7 and because is so big it does not load on an iPhone.
    But I am keeping my iPad on iOS 13 because of the Wolfgang palms synths.
    Is the id700 worth loosing the palm synths?
    on the requirements for the id700 it says ios11 so I should not crash...

The Wolfgang Palm synths (all four of them) work perfectly fine under iPadOS14.4.2 on my iPad Air 2 so no worries there.

I’m quite sure the developer will catch rhe bugs unless it’s bugs caused by the Juce framwork wich the app is built with inwich case it could take longer...

I just downloaded ID700 and even the init preset (just a sine wave) is a blast with the onscreen keybaord with individual pitch glide per note :)

I’ll be updating to iPadOS14.5 when it drops on ky iPad Air 2 so if there’s no rush wait until it drops.

Cheers!

Yes. Thank you for confirming that the Palm synths work in iOS14 ;D

• Anyone trying out the mpe? I am finding a lot of problems playing this with seaboard - lots of notes just don't play. Seems to be working much better on a morph. Anyone else with a seaboard care to report back? Don't forget to set pitch bend to 24 btw

• I wish there could be a way to have update on this with a button that gives you a hit of lsd when you press it

• @Fingolfinzz said:
    I wish there could be a way to have update on this with a button that gives you a hit of lsd when you press it

Haha yes!! I want that

• hey everyone - sorry for the slow replies, the last two days have been crazy!

i submitted the first update to the app store this morning, it includes fixes for the ipad air/mini crashes among other things. once that's out and i'm sure it works i'll be able to respond to everything else. thanks for your patience!

• This synth is just pure crazy. Ive had a really hard time moving on/away from subtractive synth but this little bad boy really hits the spot. Please make sure (if its not already) easy for us to share preset / banks of presets. I hope we will revisit the AB patch creation challenge with ID700

The selection of professional patches is also impressive. Its so versatile and also low cpu. Ace! What more can we ask for!

• @Synthi said:
    A rotate mode for the voices allocation

i'm working on this now

Other great addition that could expand the timbres a lot would be having automation for the Even/odd and Tilt WaveSHAPER parameters.

fwiw those are already exposed as automatable params and as 14-bit cc's so it should be possible to do this currently.