Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Buchla ID700 dropped on iOS (Jonathan Schatz, modosc designs)

Comments

• edited April 2021

@tahiche said:

@Eschatone said:
    “Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in”

@tahiche said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@cian said:
    God I hope he talks to a Graphic Designer prior to release...

Why? It seems logically laid out and functional.

Because it’s a terrible design, it’s sore on the eyes!. It’s like building a million € house and not bothering to give it a coat of paint. Too many great and talented developers overlook the design aspect. You might think it’s just a “matter of taste”, but in cases like this it’s really not. There’s standards in design that respond to color and shape combinations and ratios. This app needs a design overhaul, badly.

Are you referring to design as it looked in the screenshots posted at the beginning of this thread? As it seems it has had an interface re-design since then, as per its app-store photos:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id700/id1482698043

I was referring to the screenshots at the beginning of this thread. Sorry if I caused some confusion. What I see on the AppStore link you posted is perfectly fine and actually rather good. (Also for @espiegel123 ). It’s night and day.

Compare:

Is design and UI subjective?. Sure. But there’s standards, color palettes, rules and professional designers for a reason.

Right on, gotta start somewhere!
    This is cool, about the developer:

Jonathan Schatz has spent his life making software and music, occasionally simultaneously. For a few years he worked with Don Buchla on the 200e series.

I find it comforting that Jonathan is not just some guy emulating a Buchla, he actually worked for the man himself for some time!

• The only slight 'worry' I have about the ID700's UI is that it's quite 'muted' & 'low contrast'.
    We'll have to wait and see how well it works on Monday...

• @Samu said:
    The only slight 'worry' I have about the ID700's UI is that it's quite 'muted' & 'low contrast'.
    We'll have to wait and see how well it works on Monday...

Yeah, I agree it could use some brightness with the lines and typography. Perhaps white...

• See Doug from @thesoundtestroom doing a live stream at 2000 this evening UK time showcase this new Synth.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    See Doug from @thesoundtestroom doing a live stream at 2000 this evening UK time showcase this new Synth.

I'll try to catch it, 9pm in Sweden...

• @Samu said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    See Doug from @thesoundtestroom doing a live stream at 2000 this evening UK time showcase this new Synth.

Is that UTC +1?

• @michael_m said:

@Samu said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Is that UTC +1?

Sweden is UTC+2, Doug streams at 20.00(8pm) in UK and that's 21.00(9pm) in Sweden.
    (At least Youtube tells me it starts 9pm local time in Sweden).

Check the stream time on YouTube.

• Thanks Samu. Should be a few hours then, so I’ll check it out. Didn’t realize Doug always streamed at a similar time.

• This sounded really good in Doug’s run through. Can’t wait.

• Yes, very impressive, could be a favourite :smile:

• @gusgranite said:
    This sounded really good in Doug’s run through. Can’t wait.

Exactly this. Right now when i thought naaahhh I don’t need another synth plug haha

• Based on Doug’s demo I’ve pre-ordered. Looking forward to it.

• looks fantastic and like my new favorite synth. but also seems cpu hungry

• That demo is great, I’m really excited for this to release

• edited April 2021

Definitely a pre-order for this. It’s very different from anything else I have, and I could see myself spending quite a bit of time with it.

So pre-order is not available until April 12?

• Just downloaded and... amazing

• I am in a bit of a dilemma. ID700 is crashing my iPad air2 on ios13.7 and because is so big it does not load on an iPhone.
    But I am keeping my iPad on iOS 13 because of the Wolfgang palms synths.
    Is the id700 worth loosing the palm synths?
    on the requirements for the id700 it says ios11 so I should not crash...

• @dreamrobe said:
    I am in a bit of a dilemma. ID700 is crashing my iPad air2 on ios13.7 and because is so big it does not load on an iPhone.

I don't know, but have you tried a power-off restart on the iPad?

• @dreamrobe said:
    I am in a bit of a dilemma. ID700 is crashing my iPad air2 on ios13.7 and because is so big it does not load on an iPhone.

The Palm synths work fine for me on iOS 14. Did you hear there's a problem? Or are you thinking that they can't be reinstalled if the upgrade goes squirrelly as they are no longer in the appstore?

• edited April 2021

@dreamrobe said:

I run it under iOS 13.7 and it is stable for me. IPad gen 6

• @dreamrobe said:

Btw, ID700 is not big. 64MB is not large imo.

• Crashes when changing presets in AUM

• edited April 2021

So, here is literally my first two minutes with it after download. Four instances, a couple of tweaked presets, reverb, no other effects. All sounds here are just the Buchlas. I think I’m going to like it... :)

It can definitely Dark Ambient, and from this initial go, certainly sounds different to anything else I’ve got, not so much in the FM-y tones, but in the incredibly long, slow, evolving envelopes. I like really slow evolving envelopes... :)

Top tip: just hit a few of the harmonics sliders to radically change a sound, then hit Normalize to keep the vibe without clipping. The monkey with a typewriter method. It seems to work.

• @michael_m said:
    Definitely a pre-order for this. It’s very different from anything else I have, and I could see myself spending quite a bit of time with it.

So pre-order is not available until April 12?

You can pre-order now, then it’ll download when it’s available on the 12th.

• @NimboStratus said:
    Crashes when changing presets in AUM

It works find for me using ID700's preset browser and the next/previous buttons in AUM.

How are you changing presets?

• @modosc Congratulations on the launch!

I get a lot of hung / stuck notes, both standalone and in AUM. No biggie, just thought I’d mention it.

• @dreamrobe said:

hey @dreamrobe - i still don't see crashlogs on my end. could you make sure that you've got that option enabled on ios?

https://help.apple.com/xcode/mac/current/#/deve2819c518

• @Philandering_Bastard said:
    @modosc Congratulations on the launch!

I get a lot of hung / stuck notes, both standalone and in AUM. No biggie, just thought I’d mention it.

Are you getting hung notes or playing patches that have two minute long or looping envelopes? A number of the patches intentionally have envelopes that run for a long time after the note off.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:
    @modosc Congratulations on the launch!

thanks! usually hung notes are just really long notes, ie the amplifier envelope is set to > 10s. when you change presets the envelope continues on its original course until it hits the next breakpoint, then it changes over to the new preset. i've heard others report this as well, so i'm working on some sort of solution / setting to resolve it.