Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IceWorks Lagrange

I'm thinking about getting Lagrange - still on the fence so hoping to hear opinions from existing owners. Curious mostly about the sound palette, chiefly how good is it at;
1. smooth dreamy pads?
2. deep powerful bass?

I've watched a few videos and those have helped but they aren't conclusive. I have Lorentz and I love it but smooth pads and deep bass are not its forte IMHO. Is Lagrange cut from much the same cloth as Lorentz or can it do these sound types much better?

PS. and is it IceGear or IceWorks??

Comments

• I haven’t tried using it for bass but I use it for pads pretty frequently. It’s fantastic. It’s the most versatile IceWorks synth.

• Lots of options possible. Can even do Acid. 😎

• Because of the type of synthesis model the synth is based on, it doesn’t do fat bass sounds well. In fact, none of the iceWorks synths do bass well. What they do well are metallic sounds and higher frequency pads.

• I end up using LaGrange a lot for it's light CPU usage. I have whole songs where after laying down the drum and bass, everything else is LaGrange. I don't intend it that way, but each time I flip through sounds I come up with multiple things that would work and just end up adding them. Often I don't need anything else.

But mainly I appreciate it because of the mileage I can get out of it even on my poor ol' Air 2.

• 👍👍LaGrange plus great free @Spidericemidas presets!

• I'm still waiting for the ZZ Top-themed La Grange version as an homage to their synth period.

• @LinearLineman said:
    👍👍LaGrange plus great free @Spidericemidas presets!

Yeah, so much this. The spidericemidas presets are simply amazing.

• @LinearLineman said:
    👍👍LaGrange plus great free @Spidericemidas presets!

Don’t forget @richardyot, great presets too

• You can hear my presets here, quite a few pads:

• Buy it! It is very versatile.

• @richardyot said:
    You can hear my presets here, quite a few pads:

Dang, how did I miss those? Sound great! Link?

• edited April 2021

I think LaGrange is the most versatile out of all the Icegear/Iceworks synths. @richardyot also made a really good soundbank for this one. Highly recommended.

(Edit) Ah...the above posts weren’t here when I opened the thread and started the comment. Well, the @richardyot presets are worth mentioning again. Be sure to grab them if you get LaGrange. Really good.

• edited April 2021

@lukesleepwalker said:

@richardyot said:

Dang, how did I miss those? Sound great! Link?

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/35553/new-adventures-in-lo-fi-25-ambient-and-lo-fi-presets-for-icegear-lagrange-now-with-demo-video/p1

• edited April 2021

It’s excellent and unique. It’s strongest point is maybe its highly versatile oscillator section which is capable of some very rich and un-digital type sounds. It is capable of timbres which I’m not sure I can easily reproduce with other synths.

IHMO it is a bit lacking in modulation options and onboard effects, but it’s possible to create sounds with quite a bit of movement nonetheless. It’s a classic example of enjoying what it does offer, which is quite unique and inspiring, rather than focus on the features we might wish it had.

It is low in CPU, and very stable, and makes frequent appearances in my AUM sets, esp for pad and drone type sounds.

• @Spidericemidas said:
    I think LaGrange is the most versatile out of all the Icegear/Iceworks synths. @richardyot also made a really good soundbank for this one. Highly recommended.

(Edit) Ah...the above posts weren’t here when I opened the thread and started the comment. Well, the @richardyot presets are worth mentioning again. Be sure to grab them if you get LaGrange. Really good.

Don't forget to include a link to your pack as well :)

• Yes, and @richardyot. Great sounds!

• edited April 2021

Thanks guys, @NeuM your point about synthesis method not being ideal for bass kinda rings true based on my experience with Lorentz. Hence the question.

However, I keep hearing how versatile it is (except for the bass ;) ) and clearly there’s a whole lotta love for it.

@wim and @craftycurate great point about cpu, cheers - I’m always looking out for efficiency

I could maybe live without the bass if the pads are top notch. @richardyot thanks for the video, I’ll watch that now...

• edited April 2021

@Spidericemidas said:
    My free presets for LaGrange. Hopefully link still works.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mm6ho9a8e3ilmg1/Spidericemidas.lagrange_snd_pack?dl=0

I love “Fuzzy Bell”

• @richardyot said:

Wow, these are really good - if I get it I’ll certainly be reaching for your sounds and those of @Spidericemidas (who IIRC did a most excellent set of sounds for Sunrizer)

• @wired2moon said:

@richardyot said:

Wow, these are really good - if I get it I’ll certainly be reaching for your sounds and those of @Spidericemidas (who IIRC did a most excellent set of sounds for Sunrizer)

Here’s the original thread which has some great demos of my presets in use by other forum members.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/40679/114-free-presets-for-lagrange-synth-by-spidericemidas/p1

And of course the usual great demo of the bank by Doug at TSTR.

These might help you decide if you want to install my presets if you go for LaGrange.

• @Spidericemidas said:

@wired2moon said:

@richardyot said:

Here’s the original thread which has some great demos of my presets in use by other forum members.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/40679/114-free-presets-for-lagrange-synth-by-spidericemidas/p1

And of course the usual great demo of the bank by Doug at TSTR.

These might help you decide if you want to install my presets if you go for LaGrange.

Thanks man B)

• @wired2moon said:

>

PS. and is it IceGear or IceWorks??

Both? It used to be IceGear (still the url of the developer). At some point it was changed to IceWorks although searching for IceGear will still list all the apps.

• It's my favourite synth app on iOS.

• @NeuM said:
    Because of the type of synthesis model the synth is based on, it doesn’t do fat bass sounds well. In fact, none of the iceWorks synths do bass well. What they do well are metallic sounds and higher frequency pads.

True. I have all iceworks’ synths & have weak bass except legrange (somehow produced strong bass with LP & low octave). it’s definitely an alternative to Microfreak ( except vocoder) which is too have weak bass.

• @TheSoundKid said:

@NeuM said:
    Because of the type of synthesis model the synth is based on, it doesn’t do fat bass sounds well. In fact, none of the iceWorks synths do bass well. What they do well are metallic sounds and higher frequency pads.

True. I have all iceworks’ synths & have weak bass except legrange (somehow produced strong bass with LP & low octave). it’s definitely an alternative to Microfreak ( except vocoder) which is too have weak bass.

I mean, it is what it is. Like any tool, they have strengths and weaknesses. I still like the iceWorks synths.

• I don't know if you're a preset person or a knob tweaker :), but as a former I can say it's a good buy for pads and all kinds of quaint sounds and the two extra sets lauded above here really add a lot to it. Enjoy if you go for it!

• It’s also great that they are low on CPU

• All these Icegear/Iceworks synths have a unique flavour - brittle, percussive, crystalline, resonant ... reflect a very Japanese sensibility ... synths with the tang of miso or wasabi to them,

Lagrange is perhaps the most versatile and powerful of the crop but they can each add a very notable timbre to any mix.

The other really useful thing is that a lot of the control systems are common ... if you learn how to fly the arp on one you've got it for the lot ... excellent little arps BTW. But Icegear's resonators are what catches my ear... got wind in them.

One of the most interesting developers out there ... the FX apps are remarkably clever and do things no one else manages.

Lagrange is a good place to start.

• @Soundscaper said:
    All these Icegear/Iceworks synths have a unique flavour - brittle, percussive, crystalline, resonant ... reflect a very Japanese sensibility ... synths with the tang of miso or wasabi to them,

Lagrange is perhaps the most versatile and powerful of the crop but they can each add a very notable timbre to any mix.

The other really useful thing is that a lot of the control systems are common ... if you learn how to fly the arp on one you've got it for the lot ... excellent little arps BTW. But Icegear's resonators are what catches my ear... got wind in them.

One of the most interesting developers out there ... the FX apps are remarkably clever and do things no one else manages.

Lagrange is a good place to start.

I agree. There is nothing like these apps for a very specific type of sound.