Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BeatCutter for non rocket-scientists

edited April 2021 in General App Discussion

Taking the red pill :#

Comments

• Ahh! The Igor whisperer!

• Excellent! Huge help and impressive that you tackled most of the app in just over a half hour.

I have a couple of simple questions though. On the inputs, there's File, and 4 channels. There's that last one at the top that's labled I1. What input does that represent?

On the template page, the first entry on the left is how many inputs. My understanding is that there is a total possible of 8 inputs, but you can set it for 9. What are you getting if you have it set at 9?

• @skiphunt said:
    Excellent! Huge help and impressive that you tackled most of the app in just over a half hour.

I have a couple of simple questions though. On the inputs, there's File, and 4 channels. There's that last one at the top that's labled I1. What input does that represent?

On the template page, the first entry on the left is how many inputs. My understanding is that there is a total possible of 8 inputs, but you can set it for 9. What are you getting if you have it set at 9?

I1 = the input source assigned to input channel 1. You’ll see settings for I1-I8 on the Trigger and Sequencer pages.

According to the manual, the input sources template position has special values for 0 and 9. 0 sets the first input to C1 (the first external input) and the others to I1. 9 sets inputs 1-4 and 5-8 to C1-C4.

• Thanks for your service @MarkH ;)

• Nice one @MarkH I know what I'll be watching over my morning coffee ☕

• edited April 2021

withdrawn

• @skiphunt said:
    withdrawn

Hungover.

• Thanks @MarkH for the introspective walkthrough - yours are the best for truly understanding and always worth viewing!

• @Philandering_Bastard said:
    Ahh! The Igor whisperer!

🎖️

• @audiblevideo said:
    Thanks for your service @MarkH ;)

🎖️

• Thanks @MarkH - it's useful to have another angle on this app. A bit like Drambo or Wotja, an understanding will have to be pieced together in stages, and the Main screen was a bit of a mystery.

• Good stuff Mark, always appreciate your calm and thorough style

• @ashh said:

@skiphunt said:
    withdrawn

Hungover.

Nah. I got the answer to my question from the manual so I withdrew it.

Thanks for the time taken with this video @MarkH ! Much appreciated :)

• @skiphunt said:

@ashh said:

@skiphunt said:
    withdrawn

Hungover.

Nah. I got the answer to my question from the manual so I withdrew it.

Thanks for the time taken with this video @MarkH ! Much appreciated :)

Thanks. I didn't respond to your other questions because someone (or someones) beat me to it!

• edited April 2021

It took a bit to be enlightened that understanding this app is in two parts: 1) The mechanics of setting it up, and 2) How to make music with it. When I first purchase an app, I'm usually trying to get an assurance that I haven't wasted money. As @gavinski has pointed out in other pages, you're not going to get that warm fuzzy with BeatCutter right away. It's a complicated app with a less than stellar interface that does some remarkable things, and you have to get past all that before you learn it's an excellent purchase. @markh has provided so much insight into the mechanics with this video. Even the manual is starting to make sense now.

The second part, making music, has nothing to do with Igor's app. The joy/burden of making music falls on us. A big thx to @markh!

• edited April 2021

Sorry, codes gone now :)

Congratulations to quick trigger-fingers:

0tolerance4silence
    jachbla
    NimboStratus

Will PM in a while.

• edited April 2021

Let me uncrack this beast, please :)

• Thank you for the tutorial! I'd love to take the plunge!

• @MarkH said:
    I have three codes to give away. The first three comments asking can have them.

Did I miss them!?

• I'd take one too but I count three before me :)

• Looks like I just missed it! I'll be procrastinating the trippy explorations to a later date...

• @Krupa said:
    I'd take one too but I count three before me :)

Tbh I’m plenty covered with Drambo these days... happy to pass ‘my’ code
    Please, share some mangling on your vacuum tube thing in the future :)

• @0tolerance4silence said:

@Krupa said:
    I'd take one too but I count three before me :)

Tbh I’m plenty covered with Drambo these days... happy to pass ‘my’ code
    Please, share some mangling on your vacuum tube thing in the future :)

Nice one, I'm just back channeling stuff to rs2000 for some interesting stuff he's planning to make from them...

• @motmeister said:
    It took a bit to be enlightened that understanding this app is in two parts: 1) The mechanics of setting it up, and 2) How to make music with it. When I first purchase an app, I'm usually trying to get an assurance that I haven't wasted money. As @gavinski has pointed out in other pages, you're not going to get that warm fuzzy with BeatCutter right away. It's a complicated app with a less than stellar interface that does some remarkable things, and you have to get past all that before you learn it's an excellent purchase. @markh has provided so much insight into the mechanics with this video. Even the manual is starting to make sense now.

The second part, making music, has nothing to do with Igor's app. The joy/burden of making music falls on us. A big thx to @markh!

Indeed, the matrix is key and it really took me a while to understand. I didn't understand it well until a few days ago. Once you understand it, after a few rereadings the manual becomes clear enough. It's just so dense, and with no pics, quite a slog to get through. But in its own way it is actually clear. Let's just say, its clear when u already understand the app, not before 😂

• @Philandering_Bastard said:
    Ahh! The Igor whisperer!

Yes, this!

You are an absolute gem @MarkH

• edited March 2022

Looking for advice here. I’m a big fan of the devs apps. Wreaking sonic havoc is my game. However, bit-reduction and decimation are not. I find the effect kind of reduces everything to sonic mush—almost generic in a way.

Anyway, can anyone suggest a fairly straightforward way to a) turn off/disable this effect in Beatcutter and b) prevent the bit-reduction from becoming active when randomizing a template?

Thanks.

EDIT: just re-read my post and realized how ridiculous it is to ask about a “simple” technique for this beautiful app. Misses the point, I know! In any case, if anyone can share some advice in this regard, it would be much appreciated.

• Watching Doug’s @thesoundtestroom video will probably help you a lot, as he explains how each part of it works in a very straightforward way.

• Yes, Doug, of course! Thanks.

• @zilld2017 said:
    Looking for advice here. I’m a big fan of the devs apps. Wreaking sonic havoc is my game. However, bit-reduction and decimation are not. I find the effect kind of reduces everything to sonic mush—almost generic in a way.

Anyway, can anyone suggest a fairly straightforward way to a) turn off/disable this effect in Beatcutter and b) prevent the bit-reduction from becoming active when randomizing a template?

Thanks.

EDIT: just re-read my post and realized how ridiculous it is to ask about a “simple” technique for this beautiful app. Misses the point, I know! In any case, if anyone can share some advice in this regard, it would be much appreciated.

For b) just put a x on every template part you doesn’t want to change