Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New Motu Audio Interface : ultralite-mk5

2»

Comments

• @ipadbeatmaking said:
    @echoopera I meant the interface you referenced in the thread, it looks like a good replacement for the Scarlett possibly.

Ahh. Gotcha. I am set up now with my Scarlett 18i8 and the OctoPre8 with ADAT out.

I like the look of the motu and all the I/O so i may go for that to upgrade the Scarlett.

• @syrupcore said:
    No clear indication that I could find on whether or not Cuemix 5 is still remote control for the desktop software or directly controls the interface.

Not sure what to make of this.....

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@syrupcore said:
    No clear indication that I could find on whether or not Cuemix 5 is still remote control for the desktop software or directly controls the interface.

Not sure what to make of this.....

Hmm."Waiting for device to connect" seems promising. Showing an IP address seems... less promising.

• wow, looks great

• Does anybody know if the mk5 can still read SMPTE?

The previous version could using the old cue mix app on the Mac and you could use any audio input to read the time code. I have a few reels of tape I’ve rediscovered that I would like to transfer to Logic and having SMPTE would make that a much easier process as they all have a time code track.

The older stuff pre v4 stuff isn’t compatible with Mac OS 11 so I don’t want to invest in anything obsolete (ironic considering the obsolete task I want it for :-)

• Have a look at RME's output from the last 15 years or so. The drivers for their gear are kept bang up to date, even for the very old stuff. Fireface and Babyface are the 2 lines that spring to mind.

• edited April 2021

@echoopera said:
    Mitch!

Looks good but looks like there is no color indication for audio clipping in the level meters

• Man, this looks great, but $600 is a bit steep for what I would end up using only as an iPad interface 99% of the time.

• Nice: this one also has DC coupled outputs for interfacing with modular gear. And drambo just added a CV output module.... ooof, the GAS is growing stronger.

• Heheh. Yeah. This looks like a seriously nice Audio Interface for the mixed studio environment.

• @syrupcore said:
    Nice: this one also has DC coupled outputs for interfacing with modular gear. And drambo just added a CV output module.... ooof, the GAS is growing stronger.

you know you've had a DC coupled interface in your pocket for like 7 years now?

• @SoNoob said:

@syrupcore said:
    Nice: this one also has DC coupled outputs for interfacing with modular gear. And drambo just added a CV output module.... ooof, the GAS is growing stronger.

you know you've had a DC coupled interface in your pocket for like 7 years now?

With 10 discreet outputs? I better check my pockets!

• edited April 2021

@syrupcore said:

Yup MOTU has been ahead of the curve with this for many years, their early firewire devices were capable of midi to cv
    MOTU VOLTA
    MOTU VOLTA and interfaces

• Damn GASeous indecision sets in again.

Dollar for dollar, the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 seems a better interface for my needs. Physical gain control for each input, physical 'alt' output selector ez routing between alt speakers or a different stereo output destination, dedicated output monitor level control (with DIM+Mute buttons), two discreet headphone outputs with their own volume controls and twice the ADAT IO. Also, hey, 50 bucks cheaper.

BUT but but... it doesn't have DC coupled outputs. :/ I really want to be able to send CV and gate signals out on occasion. Since it's an "on occasion" type thing, I'd like [my new interface] to support sending CV/G versus spending hundreds more on a dedicated module like something from Expert Sleepers IO. But I might change my mind by tomorrow. Don't mind me, I'll just be here sounding off random bits from GAS/option paralysis.

• @syrupcore said:
    Damn GASeous indecision sets in again.

Dollar for dollar, the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 seems a better interface for my needs. Physical gain control for each input, physical 'alt' output selector ez routing between alt speakers or a different stereo output destination, dedicated output monitor level control (with DIM+Mute buttons), two discreet headphone outputs with their own volume controls and twice the ADAT IO. Also, hey, 50 bucks cheaper.

BUT but but... it doesn't have DC coupled outputs. :/ I really want to be able to send CV and gate signals out on occasion. Since it's an "on occasion" type thing, I'd like [my new interface] to support sending CV/G versus spending hundreds more on a dedicated module like something from Expert Sleepers IO. But I might change my mind by tomorrow. Don't mind me, I'll just be here sounding off random bits from GAS/option paralysis.

I’m currently using 18i20 with Octopre dynamic for additional 8 ins, ES3 for 8 dc coupled outs + cv.ocd through a midi port.
    Total:

• 18 in (audio)
    • 8 out (audio)
    • 12 gate out (with some extra features)
    • 12 CV out (4 @midirate - cv.ocd + 8 @audiorate - ES3)

Second hand all these together cost less than this new unit...

• edited April 2021

For what it’s worth, I have been leaning heavily towards the presonus 1824c: https://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-1824c

DC coupled, $50 cheaper, works with iOS including an app, and personally...I hate the Scarletts. After suggesting them to folks looking for something small and entry, I ended up having so many issues 2 of them got returned and I stopped recommending them (and had done so just because they are so standard, I’ve never owned one); I’ve yet to try the presonus though, so I can’t actually vouch for it. But on paper, it looks good. And, it looks good.

I’m looking to upgrade my iD14 for several reasons, but I know I’ll miss the sound. So, maybe iD44? Not DC, will have to add a DC capable adat; limited I/o before expansion, expensive...but god damn do I love that DI and the pres. Sigh.

Wait, what thread is this? Oh yeah, sorta want the ultralite mk5 now, too. Would be a perfect tiny iPad/mobile line level multitracking I/o for my Octatrack or A4 while on the couch. Damn.

@syrupcore said:
    Damn GASeous indecision sets in again.

• Oh a new MOTU Ultralite released at the same time Drambo can properly support audio interfaces and CV out to modular which needs a DC coupled audio interface. Seems like it's destiny! :)

• Has anyone gotten or seen any confirmation if cuemix5 is native/local or still a remote app for the desktop software?

• It appears to be local however now I’m stuck with “CueMix requires a newer firmware version. Please update the firmware on your device.” but I can’t figure out if there’s actually a new firmware available (seems not), and installing/running the macOS package didn’t help with the MOTU temporarily connected to it. So I’m currently stuck in terms of getting my 2020 iPad Pro to recognize the MOTU.

• There apparently is. I’ve seen this on other thread that they had to update the device

• edited May 2021

Thanks, will hunt for it. Couldn’t find any download from MOTU

edit: could not find any reference to updating a mk5 device

• Thanks, that's the macOS driver which I've tried (software that runs on macOS, rather than a firmware update for the device). There's no MOTU firmware download available: https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/firmwarechangelog/

• @wahnfrieden said:
    Thanks, that's the macOS driver which I've tried (software that runs on macOS, rather than a firmware update for the device). There's no MOTU firmware download available: https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/firmwarechangelog/

• Can any with an iPhone (12) and Motu UL5 confirm that they are able to record video on iPhone with sound being fed from UL5? If possible this would be great for making music videos!

• @AlmostAnonymous thanks for your help, this solved it. Very happy with this device thus far and likely getting a 2nd one before long…

• So who actually has one of these and has been rocking it with iOS for a bit?

• I’ve had one on order for a while, but I’m starting to wonder if I really need it. I have a K-Mix and it’s so easy to route everything from the unit itself. I guess the Motu will sound a lot better. Or will it?