Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

now asking about 5th gen ipad is it good enough? is $330 a good price?

For iphone users~ What apps do you use on a regular basis andwhich do you find are the easiest to use that are the most useful? I have really been wanted korg electibe wave and ruismaker butnot sure how well they would work

Comments

• On my iPhone 8 it's mostly, Koala Sampler(with Samurai IAP), Ampify GrooveBox(With Synth & Drum Editing IAPs) and GarageBand.

I found Electribe Wave to be almost un-usable (too tiny for my eyes on the iPhone 8) and Ruismaker really needs a host such as AUM and additional apps (effects & sequencers) to really shine.

I've got a bunch of others apps installed on my iPhone 8 but the 3 on top are those that get used the most...
    ...they are easy on the eyes and fun to use :)

• The one I use the most is patterning. But I use it to make drafts that I will later on continue on the iPAD. The iPhone version is not (obviously) as powerful as the iPAD one, but I find it great to make quick drum patterns for later improvement

• @cfour said:
    The one I use the most is patterning. But I use it to make drafts that I will later on continue on the iPAD. The iPhone version is not (obviously) as powerful as the iPAD one, but I find it great to make quick drum patterns for later improvement

The iphone is all i have so i'm trying to make due until I can afford an ipad

• @jdolecek49 said:

@cfour said:
    The one I use the most is patterning. But I use it to make drafts that I will later on continue on the iPAD. The iPhone version is not (obviously) as powerful as the iPAD one, but I find it great to make quick drum patterns for later improvement

The iphone is all i have so i'm trying to make due until I can afford an ipad

Oh sorry, I did not mean to assume you had an iPAD. My point was that I find it a good (but limited, compared to the iPAD version) way of creating drum patterns. Even if I did not have an iPAD I think I would go for it, as you can create some sweet drum patterns in no time. I forgot to mention that the iPhone version is a separate buy from the iPAD one.

• Reason Compact made a lot of enemies by calling it Reason but it's got a great synth (Europa) a decent drum machine and a bass synth. The User Interface is decent on the iPhone.

If they have called it something else it might get the respect it deserves as a solid IOS
    groove box app.

There's also a new betaking app called Flip that shows promise.

Roli's "Seaboard 5D"provides a great MPE based keyboard and a decent selection of synth sounds. Their "Noise" app is their take on the groove machine genre.

UVI's BeatHawk is really complete and has the best range of sound sets in a groove machine
    product. Currently on sale too, I think.

• so far i have beathawk, patterning, audioshare, audiobus,launchpad and synth one and i still want ruismaker and electribe wave...but not sure how they will lookon an iphone with limited space to work with but i was asking on this forum because there may be apps that are awesome that i may not of come across yet

• @McD said:
    Reason Compact made a lot of enemies by calling it Reason but it's got a great synth (Europa) a decent drum machine and a bass synth. The User Interface is decent on the iPhone.

If they have called it something else it might get the respect it deserves as a solid IOS
    groove box app.

There's also a new betaking app called Flip that shows promise.

Roli's "Seaboard 5D"provides a great MPE based keyboard and a decent selection of synth sounds. Their "Noise" app is their take on the groove machine genre.

UVI's BeatHawk is really complete and has the best range of sound sets in a groove machine
    product. Currently on sale too, I think.

thank you! I do have beathawk and I have also purchased a bunch of their great sound packs but i'm also learning that the app itself is complex to learn....but I'm trying andlearning slowly LOL

• Groovebox, Garageband, NS2, Audioshare.

• If you want an app that's easy to learn and sounds great, check out SpaceCraft Granular Synth. It's user interface is genius.

• I also wanted to ask you guys what audio interfaces do you guys use? and what recommendations can you offer me? I want to be able to hook up my wired headphones but I do'nt know any other way other than hooking up an interface along with my CCK with my Novation Launchpad

• On the phone I tend more toward the "all-in-one" apps than a bunch of individual apps. I don't mind wiring together a bunch of stuff on the iPad using Audiobus or AUM, but on the phone that gets difficult to manage fast.

• Gadget is very usable on the phone and its right at your fingertips. Sucks battery like hell though.
    • GrooveRider GR-16 is outstanding. Easy to use on the phone, plenty of sounds and quick beat-making ability in a fun form factor. I prefer it 100% over iElectribe Wave and it does much the same. I can't say I recommend iElectribe Wave, mainly because I hate its sequencer.
    • Garageband. I don't know why I never use it, but can't recommend it enough. :D
    • Zenbeats is the most usable complete DAW on iPhone for me.
    • Drambo. Very usable UI for the phone. Very good as a drum machine and overall quick sequencer. If you're intimidated by BeatHawk then you might be even more intimidated by Drambo. Drambo can be complicated, but it can also be very simple and straightforward if you stick to the basics.

As far as individual apps go:

• You can't really go wrong with Bram Bos' apps. Ruismaker and Ruismaker FM especially are ones that are just so easy to reach for. I have to force myself to not over use them.
    • Fractal Bits. The perfect antidote to Ruismaker over-use syndrome.
    • Koala. Really. Just get it.
    • Bassalicious 2: This one probably seems like an odd recommendation. The interface is pretty awkward for the phone. I use it though for the presets which cover every kind of Bass I ever need. If I just need to get some bass going I can always find something that works with hardly any need to get into tweaking anything.
    • Bass 808: The other 1% that isn't covered by Bassalicous 2.
  • @wim said:
    On the phone I tend more toward the "all-in-one" apps than a bunch of individual apps. I don't mind wiring together a bunch of stuff on the iPad using Audiobus or AUM, but on the phone that gets difficult to manage fast.

• Gadget is very usable on the phone and its right at your fingertips. Sucks battery like hell though.
    • GrooveRider GR-16 is outstanding. Easy to use on the phone, plenty of sounds and quick beat-making ability in a fun form factor. I prefer it 100% over iElectribe Wave and it does much the same. I can't say I recommend iElectribe Wave, mainly because I hate its sequencer.
    • Garageband. I don't know why I never use it, but can't recommend it enough. :D
    • Zenbeats is the most usable complete DAW on iPhone for me.
    • Drambo. Very usable UI for the phone. Very good as a drum machine and overall quick sequencer. If you're intimidated by BeatHawk then you might be even more intimidated by Drambo. Drambo can be complicated, but it can also be very simple and straightforward if you stick to the basics.

As far as individual apps go:

• You can't really go wrong with Bram Bos' apps. Ruismaker and Ruismaker FM especially are ones that are just so easy to reach for. I have to force myself to not over use them.
    • Fractal Bits. The perfect antidote to Ruismaker over-use syndrome.
    • Koala. Really. Just get it.
    • Bassalicious 2: This one probably seems like an odd recommendation. The interface is pretty awkward for the phone. I use it though for the presets which cover every kind of Bass I ever need. If I just need to get some bass going I can always find something that works with hardly any need to get into tweaking anything.
    • Bass 808: The other 1% that isn't covered by Bassalicous 2.

First of all I want to say thank you for your suggestions. As for all in one DAW, I prefer to stay aay from using them as an all in one app and nothing else because all apps have a certain type of sound and my creative process requires a taste of everything. For instance I will take a synth from gadget, drums from ruismaker and so forth. But I do need to settle on a DAW just not sure which one without purchasing all of then....I was going to get ruismaker but then I realized there is ruismaker noir which I do not know the difference, and just a few minutes ago I saw ruismaker FM whatever that is, it sounds like a synth though. As for music I produce dark techno, I have been producing for 3o years. I have been using bram bros apps ever since they introduced drum machine software. It was such a very long time ago that I just cannot remember the first app but it was in the year 1997-1998. I feel like they are a huge pioneer in making music on the computer. Without them we would not be whee we are today. I come from windows and the reason for the move is that apple makes better music,more stable software but when you compare windows to apple...apps on an iphone/ipad produces better quality of sounds due to their technology is much more further advanced and the iphone/ipad/mac is much more stable with much more higher quality components within their machines....this transformtion to apple is a tough one how things are understanding it all is hard on me but i do think once i get it mentally it will be worth it. I have not released any new albums in over 10 years but the last one i did sold 5k on beatport whch made me happy that i could entertain 5k people and I love being creative anyway meanwhile i'm done rambling on for now.....what is your take on ruismaker vs ruismaker noir....would you suggest both and one or the other?

• I like stuff that works well in portrait like koala, Drambo, gadget, the dac apps are good and the Tb stuff isn’t too bad. I also use cubasis 3 a lot even though it’s landscape only

• wimwim
    edited April 2021

@jdolecek49 said:

@wim said:

Which made me happy that i could entertain 5k people and I love being creative anyway meanwhile i'm done rambling on for now.....what is your take on ruismaker vs ruismaker noir....would you suggest both and one or the other?

That's 4,999 more people than I ever entertained. :D

Ruismaker is sort of your classic 808/909/other electronic drum kit, but with a lot more. You can tweak the sounds all over the place.

Ruismaker FM is similar, but has more synthesis aspect to it. When you say Dark Techno, it makes me think FM would be good for you if you don't mind digging in and learning how to get the sounds you're after out of it.

Ruismaker Noir is a totally different animal. It's a unique synthesized drum app and it's a totally different concept. It's monophonic (meaning you can only play one sound at a time on the same beat) but you can make it sound like a whole drum kit. It's a terrific app, but maybe something that would be better for you down the road. Try to check out some videos maybe 'cause it's really hard to describe what it does in words. ;)

• I looove the quirky-unreliable-no connectivity-can’t erase samples-IMPC...not IMPC PRO 2...the original IMPC...it sounds so great.

• edited April 2021

stimulus check just came in! so do ibuy an ipad just for music and if so which one do i buy? There are just so many to choose from, but i dont want to get one that has more speed and features that i really need, ya know?

• You can probably find some solid information here: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/885041/#Comment_885041

One thing I suggest is to not compromise on storage space. Get as much as you can possibly afford.

• do you find the bigger screen compared to the mini is something that turns into a requirement? or does the mini accomplish the goal upgrading from your iphone? in other words I cannnot decide if i need a mini or full ipad, I ould get the mini and spend the extra cash on gear and apps. please enter suggestions here

• @jdolecek49 said:
    do you find the bigger screen compared to the mini is something that turns into a requirement? or does the mini accomplish the goal upgrading from your iphone? in other words I cannnot decide if i need a mini or full ipad, I ould get the mini and spend the extra cash on gear and apps. please enter suggestions here

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/38692/anyone-have-experience-with-the-ipad-mini-5th-gen

• i'm looking at ipads and i have found a 5th gen for $330 is this a fair price for a refurbished one? and do you think this is one good enough to run music apps?

• @jdolecek49 said:
    i'm looking at ipads and i have found a 5th gen for $330 is this a fair price for a refurbished one? and do you think this is one good enough to run music apps?

I would not get an iPad older than gen 6. Generation 6 brought a massive increase in CPU power compared to generation 5. $330 for a gen 5 iPad seems very expensive, btw. You should be able to find a refurbished iPad 6 or later for that price.

• @jdolecek49 said:
    i'm looking at ipads and i have found a 5th gen for $330 is this a fair price for a refurbished one? and do you think this is one good enough to run music apps?

Any evaluation of pricing and value needs to consider the storage space. If it's 32GB don't even consider it for any price.

• edited April 2021

Like I mentioned in one of your previous threads, look around for sales or discounted deals. That’s a bad price for a gen 5. I got a 128GB iPad 8 for $350. There are currently a ton of 128 GB 7th gens on eBay for a little below or slightly above the price of that 5 gen.

• What country are in you in @jdolecek49? If you don't mind saying online.

• By the way, a new iPad Pro is expected to be announced this month (or next month at the latest).

• @wim said:
    What country are in you in @jdolecek49? If you don't mind saying online.

USA

• OK, that helps with price comparisons, which can vary in different parts of the world.

• I have the 2018 iPad, 128gb, and it works great. I paid $349 for it new (I think, maybe it was $449?), and got the Apple Pencil with it. The iPad isn’t the center of my setup, but it’s part of it. I think the 2018 iPad is gen 6. As long as you’re at that gen or later I think you’re ok.

And definitely, for iPhone, GarageBand, gadget, and koala are great. I just use those on my phone though when I am waiting somewhere and want to screw around. Except garageband, where I have made many quick demos on the go that later turn into full songs (still demos though) on iPad garageband or imported into logic.

• edited April 2021

Something like this? (Lowers aesthetic condition)

Or this.. (fair aesthetic condition.