Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Moog Model D 1.3.2 update is out

Its promising some Auv3 and sound engine Improvments.

As its easily one of my favorite app for Bass sounds, maybe the relative high cpu Footprint is now a little bit smaller.

Comments

• 97% CPU On my Air2.

Soo, no?

• WTF did they do with the CPU usage? (Before I could use 3 instances on my iPad Air 2, now it's barely 1!).
    It states AUv3 Improvements in the release notes?!

Same deal with updated Model 15 (iPad and macOS) :(
    On my 3Ghz 6-Core Intel MacMini I have to use 1024 buffer to avoid crackle :(

Hopefully this is a temporary glitch and will be resolved with an updates...

• edited April 2021

From 30% to 70% CPU in AUM(1 instance), there is absolutly something wrong.

iPad Pro 12.9" 2017, IOS 14.4.2.

• Look, anyone would class a number going up as an improvement, right? 30% to 70%? WHAT A RESULT!

• Hopefully @GBevin from @MoogMusicInc chimes in and explains what has really happened with the updates?!
    (This 'improvement' is honestly not what I expected from an update with 'Improvements').

Oh well. I'm back to using one instance for now, still love the sounds the apps make :)

• Damn updated
    Haven’t tried it yet
    Was a big before
    Sounds like I will regret updating
    Should of held off

• edited April 2021

This is one of the main reasons now why I always wait before updating and only update if I am having specific problems. My iPad has something like 60 updates waiting.

Not being able to load old projects anymore because a couple plugins running a few instances decide to eat just a little more CPU and that old project that was hovering around 70-80% is a complete crackle fest over 100%... MEH! In fact that is a big reason why I have more or less bailed on iOS 'daws'/hosts.

• My guess is that it’s improvement in terms of moog apps are being or starting to get optimised for multicore CPUs. As a result there may be drawbacks on older devices/iOS versions... it may take few attempts / tweaks to get it right.

• Maybe it's optimized for the not yet publicly released iPadOS/iOS 14.5 or something like that?
    (I'll be installing iPadOS/iOS 14.5 the moment its, should be soonish, so we'll see how things go).

• Has someone tried with a newer device? When i'm at home i can try with a ipad pro 2018.

• @Jusch1995 said:
    Has someone tried with a newer device? When i'm at home i can try with a ipad pro 2018.

On iphone 12 pro it seems to work fine

• Is it possible that it's so much lighter that it runs on the low-power cores of your multi-core devices? That would kick the apparent CPU usage up.

• edited April 2021

@uncledave said:
    Is it possible that it's so much lighter that it runs on the low-power cores of your multi-core devices? That would kick the apparent CPU usage up.

i guess the test then would be to add an instance when at 70% with one instance and see what happens.

• 25% on iPad Pro 11” 2020 in AUM

• It’s broken on my Air 2 v. 14.2, fresh boot Aum au: DSP 98% & no sound.
    No sound with inter-app audio either.
    Stand alone does work.

• The most 'modern' device I have at the moment is my iPhone 8.
    It can barely run 3 instances in AUM with 1024 buffer...

Anyways as long as I can run ONE instance without crackles I can always record and sample the output :)

• edited April 2021

@Kandavu said:

It’s broken on my Air 2 v. 14.2, fresh boot Aum au: DSP 98% & no sound.
    No sound with inter-app audio either.
    Stand alone does work.

I noticed that the GUI is pretty heavyweight. I tried it in Audiobus, using external KB, while not viewing the GUI. Need to pay attention to whether the GUI is displayed or not when discussing DSP numbers.

On my iPad 6, using AUM and the AUM keyboard, iPadOS 14.4.2, I see 38-50% CPU without GUI, 65-80% when GUI is open, so a roughly 30% bump for the GUI.

• @uncledave said:

I noticed that the GUI is pretty heavyweight. I tried it in Audiobus, using external KB, while not viewing the GUI. Need to pay attention to whether the GUI is displayed or not when discussing DSP numbers.

Thanks for the external KB tip. I managed to get sound but with crackling from the au app KB with AB3.

• Air3 13.7 @512
    2 x mono & 2 x poly instances, around 80% opening/closing/moving windows...
    It spiked 99% when first was loaded (for the first time)

• @jolico said:

Doesn’t do anything, unfortunately.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@jolico said:

Doesn’t do anything, unfortunately.

On my device, this made it “playable” again in standalone and in AUM.

• @Kandavu said:

@uncledave said:

Thanks for the external KB tip. I managed to get sound but with crackling from the au app KB with AB3.

I also got massive amounts of distortion with this update. Really bad. However, look in iOS Settings (on your iPad) for the app and increase the “Preferred Audio Buffer Size” for the app to at least 512 and it’ll fix the horrible distortion. Moog has some explaining to do with this update.

• Can load 6 instances on AUM IPAD pro 12.o 2020 then crash. Don’t know before if I could load an instances more.

• Thanks for sharing the bad experiences! I switched off the auto update immediately.

• edited April 2021

I am willing to sacrifice my iPad 2017 to the cause.

So what I can do is run it with Model D before the update and then after the update.

@samu if you are interested you can lay out a test plan for me. Of course we can only do this once!

• @NeuM said:

@Kandavu said:

@uncledave said:

I also got massive amounts of distortion with this update. Really bad. However, look in iOS Settings (on your iPad) for the app and increase the “Preferred Audio Buffer Size” for the app to at least 512 and it’ll fix the horrible distortion. Moog has some explaining to do with this update.

Thanks. Still getting crackles at 1024.

• @AudioGus said:

@samu if you are interested you can lay out a test plan for me. Of course we can only do this once!

You could just do a simple one, set up a few tracks with Model D's, connect the AUM built-in keyboard to all instances.
    Select a random patches for each instances and play the keyboard.

Make note of the buffer-size and sample-rate that is being used, after playing a while check the CPU.
    Save the session in AUM. Update Model D, Reboot the iPad, Start AUM and load the saved session and compare.

But as said, this is a observation, not a 'show stopper' for me since I mostly need just one instance I can sample/record from.
    Due to the heavy CPU usage it also affects the timing when I try to record midi so I have to create the sequences manually and record / freeze the output(This is the way I roll anyway so no biggie).

Since you've got a more powerful iPad you might even benefit from the update ;)

• edited April 2021

I figured I'd try to update because I'm on the latest beta of iOS. Model D is pretty much toast. I do have an older iPad Pro, but still!

The UI is heavy on the processing, but it always has been. on my iPad. Just running without the UI in AUM it can't run any sort of complex patch at any buffer-size/sample-rate.

• 3 open in AUM hitting in the 60%s and no distortion but its glitchy moving them around

IPad Pro 2020