Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New Motu Audio Interface : ultralite-mk5

edited April 2021 in Other

This looks like a great Audio Interface that can grow with your set up. I love that you can rack mount 2 of them if you need to increase your I/O over time.

Also love that it supports iOS from the get go. Might be time for me to ditch the Scarlett 18i8 Gen 2 I have and go for this one:
https://motu.com/en-us/products/gen5/ultralite-mk5/

And look at all those Line Out ports....mmmm....this would be heaven with AUM and a bunch of Pedals :)

Comments

• Question is can it record 8 tracks from AUM?

• I would think so. I can do this now with my Scarlett 18i8 Gen 2 and it's over 5 years old.

• @echoopera said:
    I would think so. I can do this now with my Scarlett 18i8 Gen 2 and it's over 5 years old.

How are you getting the 8 separate tracks out of AUM ? Would love to be able to record 8 independent tracks into Logic

• edited April 2021

Oh sorry, misread your question...not Outs from the Scarlett. I meant Ins. ;)

The Line Outs on the Motu look like a cool thing to enable for outboard effects and such.

To get it out of AUM and into Logic, you'd need 2 Audio Interfaces to support this workflow...be in Analog I/O or via Optical line Out from the Motu...

• I do wonder when powered Audio interfaces will get USB-C PD ports to charge the iPad/Computer when connected?
    This would drastically cut down the number of cables...

• @Samu said:
    I do wonder when powered Audio interfaces will get USB-C PD ports to charge the iPad/Computer when connected?

Yes it would.

• Hmmm, makes me kinda happy that the M2 and M4 have been out of stock everywhere recently. But, now I'll have to wait to see if they update the UltraLite AVB to match the new specs on these.

@Samu said:
    I do wonder when powered Audio interfaces will get USB-C PD ports to charge the iPad/Computer when connected?

I'm guessing never. Unless it's an interface made specifically for an iPad or a MacBook Air, I'd guess that they'd assume that using a powered interface meant you have access to power for the computer too. It would be nice though. Maybe if more laptops go to being USB-C only we can get this feature.

• edited April 2021

@Samu said:

My brain starts to hurt when I think about wiring these things up. If you have a hub with multiple usb-c ports, and at least one of them with PD, you run a PD one to the iPad and any other to this box right?

Edit: and then you get audio in AND out via that?

• @drcongo said:

@Samu said:

My brain starts to hurt when I think about wiring these things up. If you have a hub with multiple usb-c ports, and at least one of them with PD, you run a PD one to the iPad and any other to this box right?

Edit: and then you get audio in AND out via that?

Yepp, the audio interface would act like a powered usb hub witn audio inputs and outputs.

• edited April 2021

@NimboStratus said:

@echoopera said:
    I would think so. I can do this now with my Scarlett 18i8 Gen 2 and it's over 5 years old.

How are you getting the 8 separate tracks out of AUM ? Would love to be able to record 8 independent tracks into Logic

The AVB interfaces can do this. You can get 24 channels out of an ultraliteAVB and 32 out of an 828es (iPad can only do 24 outs via USB tho...)

(https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/k6/9at77n6ipuqa.png "")

I will say the AVB interfaces are kinda a PITA to use outside of your network. You can't use the mixing software without a network as they are browser based, so you need an adhoc wifi network....which is kinda laggy. And the mixer software isn't midi mappable/controllable.

• @echoopera like @AlmostAnonymous I have the motu 828es great interface with iPad only wish it had loop back feature built in. I am able to control routing and made a loopback preset which can be engaged from front panel.
    I also need need more i/o and the UltraLite-mk5 might just do it. My first interface was the OG MOTU 828 FireWire then went to AVID (Protools) , Yamaha , Steinberg, RME , Apogee etc I have been through them all including focusrite
    You will be happy. To my ears MOTU 828es is in the same league as the apogee element series (I did not own both at the same time )
    I am also looking to incorporate pedals in my setup been eyeing this one MAKO R1

@NeonSilicon I was also looking at the M4 and Arturia Audiofuse as a portable solution so am glad i did not pull the trigger. USB-c plus midi and ADAT I will use 828es as expander connected via ADAT

• edited April 2021

I still debate picking up an audiofuse, but I don't believe anything from Arturia should cost that much.
    I'll probably end up selling my 828 due to browser based software. I'll probably end up with something RME as I really do prefer the total mix software and it being midi controllable. But i'll pay out the nose because I have a stick up my butt about having my interface rack mounted as I tabletop stuff and cabling drives me bonkers rewiring every time i take it somewhere.

I'm assuming the mk5 is going to be like everything else that uses cuemix and there isn't a cuemix app for iOS, which renders the mixer next to useless for iOS only setups.

The es makes for an expensive adat expansion unit :#

• I was just wondering when this would be out. I have the Mk3. It is an excellent interface.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    I still debate picking up an audiofuse, but I don't believe anything from Arturia should cost that much.
    I'll probably end up selling my 828 due to browser based software. I'll probably end up with something RME as I really do prefer the total mix software and it being midi controllable. But i'll pay out the nose because I have a stick up my butt about having my interface rack mounted as I tabletop stuff and cabling drives me bonkers rewiring every time i take it somewhere.

I'm assuming the mk5 is going to be like everything else that uses cuemix and there isn't a cuemix app for iOS, which renders the mixer next to useless for iOS only setups.

The image in the OP answers your question about iOS and Cuemix.

• edited April 2021

@ashh said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

The image in the OP answers your question about iOS and Cuemix.

That comment about cuemix 5 is super vague. There’s always been a cuemix remote control, but it’s to control the computer software from an iPad.

Edit: I just looked in the App Store. It wasn’t there at the time of my previous quote yesterday, so maybe they ch aged it? No info on the video demos either yet.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

Lol 😂 it does make for an expensive expander but its a very quality unit and for the money I feel it rivals interfaces 2X the cost and motu has solid drivers(Mac OS X) had no issues connecting to iPad. Also the preamps are pretty good and the inserts are great for adding a outboard compressor. (Looking at spending money on a versatile high unit)

RME makes some great interfaces and software mixer really good ( i think it run on iOS while unit is connected to iPad) But I would want fireface UFX and $2500.00 is way over my budget

So $600 for the UltraLite MK5 is pretty good deal for a full out interface especially when I was considering the Tascam 8p Dyna for $500.00

• @ashh said:
    I was just wondering when this would be out. I have the Mk3. It is an excellent interface.

Sweetwater showed in stock this as of this morning

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

They just released cuemix 5 app on the App Store.

• @joniqwest said:

@ashh said:
    I was just wondering when this would be out. I have the Mk3. It is an excellent interface.

Sweetwater showed in stock this as of this morning

That's helpful, thanks.

• @echoopera this might be the one you’ve been waiting for!

@Samu said:

@Samu Have a look at the Antelope ZenGo 👇

• @ipadbeatmaking said:
    @echoopera this might be the one you’ve been waiting for!

@Samu said:

Nice but it doesn’t power/charge an iPad :)

• @Samu said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@Samu said:

Really? What was the point in them adding the 2 usb c ports then 🙄

Even a Duet will charge the iPad

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@Samu said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@Samu said:

Really? What was the point in them adding the 2 usb c ports then 🙄

Even a Duet will charge the iPad

It looks like it's to power the interface when the computer can't deliver the full power the interface needs.

• This page https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/antelope-audio/antelope-zen-go-synergy-core-portable-usb-c-audio-interface says...

Power
    Bus-powered through USB-C
    Additional USB-C connector available for power only. Supports reverse charging (phone connected to the main USB-C connector)

Which, while clear as mud, sounds like it’ll supply power to the iPad?

• nice to see more iOS options. $595.....
    I want something that is bus powered so i don't have to plugin a power outlet for going to locations that may not have them

• The gray box down this page a bit, https://en.antelopeaudio.com/zengo-sc-start/ seems to indicate that the second USB-C port is a power connection to power the Zen Core ... thing only.

This whole idea of moving charge connectors to being USB might not have been so well thought out. It's a USB-C port, but is it USB-C or Thunderbolt or power or ?

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@Samu said:

Hrmmm...doesn't seem to have good I/O like the Motu unit above. I also read that the Antelope drivers are total garbage and unstable.

Just happy that this Market is heating up with things we can finally use :)

• @echoopera I meant the interface you referenced in the thread, it looks like a good replacement for the Scarlett possibly.

• edited April 2021

@Samu said:

“Drastically” might a bit... drastic of word in this case. The unit is built for hooking up 20+ other cables already. ;)

But I agree with the idea!

• edited April 2021

Looks like this one has loopback channels as well. w00t!

No clear indication that I could find on whether or not Cuemix 5 is still a remote control app for the desktop software or if it directly controls the interface.