Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Favorite, small, reasonably priced, iPad interface supporting guitar, mic & headphones?

My apologies for the shopworn question and I’ll provide the interfaces I already own as a point of reference, which I consider perhaps either too big and/or too old (rather like yours truly) to suit the portability advantages of an iPad:

Scarlett 2i4 (Gen 1)
Roland Octa-Capture
iRig Pro

My iRig Pro is closest to my expectations, except it’s the older one rated at 24 bit, and it does not have a headphone amp, and thus I have to rely on the headphone amp in the iPad, which is nothing to write home about.

If I do get another interface, I do not mind if it needs batteries, as I am aware of the iPad’s limitations to power peripherals. If the new interface can only use an AC adapter, I guess that would be OK, but then it’s getting pretty close to my Scarlett 2i4 (Gen 1) in terms of operational requirements (if not actual size).

I'm most ikely to plug in an electric guitar, run a AKG C410 Headset Condenser Microphone, and headphones, with the iPad, and then wander around the living room pestering the dog.

Obliged,

The Pup

Comments

• Look for reviews of the Evo 4, IIRC the guitar input is well rated. Also has 2 x Mic/Line and stereo out/headphones.

• Checkout the Zoom U24

• Motu M2 or M4

• Oops, I just realized I also have a Zoom H4n Pro which from what I've just read, might also suit my purposes, thoughts?

• @branis said:
    Checkout the Zoom U24

+1

• @Shiloh said:
    Motu M2 or M4

My recommendation as well. I replaced a Focusrite Clarett with the M4 after comparing them side by side. I also use an Audient Evo but I may sell that and buy an M2 for remote recording. The headphone amp in the MOTU is the best I’ve heard in any interface and the metering is far superior, IMO.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited April 2021

Just in case ya'll missed it, I forgot to mention I also have a Zoom H4n Pro, which from what I've just read, might suit my purposes, but I am not sure about latency-free headphone monitoring etc. I would prefer an interface that does not need external power, so some of the ones you guys listed, although very nice, might not work well given the iPad's limited ability to supply power to peripherals. Thoughts?

Zoom H4n Pro (forgot to mention earlier, not sure if it'll do the job, anybody know?)
    Scarlett 2i4 Gen 1 (might need external power)
    Roland Octa-Capture (too big, tied into my main system, might need external power)
    iRig Pro (older 24 bit unit, no headphone amp)

• edited April 2021

I think some posters misunderstood my original post (or maybe I was unclear?) so have a read of the post just before this one, then read this one here, and all will be clear!

OK then, although some of the posters recommendations are fine, they may not work well if powered by the iPad alone, thus my focus on the interface being battery powered. Unless you guys know for sure that the interface in question can be exclusively powered by the iPad, without any problems at all, with headphones and guitar input and mic input etc, all running at the same time.

My understanding is that many of the smaller interfaces may be able to run off the iPad without an AC adapter, but not necessarily under all conditions, and not necessarily optimally.

In any case, running the interface power from the iPad reduces the total battery time of the iPad (i.e. I’ll have to recharge it more often) which in effect defeats the main advantage of the iPad, that being portability and long battery life.

Makes sense now?

PS: so far it seems the Zoom U-44 makes the most sense, it's battery powered, it's iPad compatible, it's portable, it's more-better than the slightly more expensive Zoom U-24, it's very well reviewed, it's MIDI enabled, etc.

• @puppychumful said:
    I think some posters misunderstood my original post (or maybe I was unclear?) so have a read of the post just before this one, then read this one here, and all will be clear!

OK then, although some of the posters recommendations are fine, they may not work well if powered by the iPad alone, thus my focus on the interface being battery powered. Unless you guys know for sure that the interface in question can be exclusively powered by the iPad, without any problems at all, with headphones and guitar input and mic input etc, all running at the same time.

My understanding is that many of the smaller interfaces may be able to run off the iPad without an AC adapter, but not necessarily under all conditions, and not necessarily optimally.

In any case, running the interface power from the iPad reduces the total battery time of the iPad (i.e. I’ll have to recharge it more often) which in effect defeats the main advantage of the iPad, that being portability and long battery life.

Makes sense now?

PS: so far it seems the Zoom U-44 makes the most sense, it's battery powered, it's iPad compatible, it's portable, it's more-better than the slightly more expensive Zoom U-24, it's very well reviewed, it's MIDI enabled, etc.

You might also look at the iRig Pro Duo

• edited April 2021

If you already have the h4n pro, then you should be set, you can just use that with the cck. I have the h6 and I’ve used it with iOS and Mac with no problem. I know that the h4n works as a computer interface and is class compliant, so you should be ok. Does it have an option to be an interface running on battery power? The h6 has an option in the menu to work with bus power or battery power as an interface. But it’s been a while since I used an h4n- is the pro the newer version of the h4n? If so then I bet it has that option.

• @puppychumful said:

Makes sense now?

The u 24 is not more expensive than the u 44. That would not mak3 any sense at all. U44 is 179 and u24 is 149.

• edited April 2021

Hi mrufino1,
    I'll have to check if the H4n Pro can function as an interface while on battery power, thanks man!

Hi Boosty,
    Yep, the U-24 Cdn $201.60 is a bit more expensive than the U-44 Cdn $189.95 on Amazon.ca oddly enough, and I'm Canadian oddly enough. It may be a pricing error in my favour, see here

https://www.amazon.ca/Zoom-U-44-Channel-Audio-Interface/dp/B01E5GGT2W/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Zoom+U44&qid=1617780709&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.ca/Zoom-U-24-Channel-Audio-Interface/dp/B01E5GGU7Q/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=Zoom+U44&qid=1617780646&sr=8-14

• @puppychumful said:
    Hi mrufino1,
    I'll have to check if the H4n Pro can function as an interface while on battery power, thanks man!

Hi Boosty,
    Yep, the U-24 Cdn $201.60 is a bit more expensive than the U-44 Cdn $189.95 on Amazon.ca oddly enough, and I'm Canadian oddly enough. It may be a pricing error in my favour, see here

https://www.amazon.ca/Zoom-U-44-Channel-Audio-Interface/dp/B01E5GGT2W/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Zoom+U44&qid=1617780709&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.ca/Zoom-U-24-Channel-Audio-Interface/dp/B01E5GGU7Q/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=Zoom+U44&qid=1617780646&sr=8-14

I have the old Zoom H4 and use it as an audio interface when operating from the sofa. It’s powered by the usb-c port and is class compliant. Sounds good enough to me.
    Not a big deal, but I do wish it had some way to control monitoring. I can’t control the monitor level in case I want to, say,just listen to a virtual amp in my daw. I know the u24 has a dedicated knob, don’t know about the h4n. I think you’re fine with the h4n pro.

• @MadGav said:
    Look for reviews of the Evo 4, IIRC the guitar input is well rated. Also has 2 x Mic/Line and stereo out/headphones.

So I tried the Evo 4 on my sofa with iPad 8, previously it had been through a powered hub (M4UeX MIDI). I had to connect power to the USB3 CCK for it to work, so not a good mobile option with this iPad.

• Thanks for this thread, been still trying to figure out a decent audio interface I could use for mobile and PC/Mac, Zoom U24 seems to fit the bill. Have seen the name thrown around quite a bit here but never really looked into it. Midi a nice bonus too, wasn't expecting it.

• @MadGav said:

So I tried the Evo 4 on my sofa with iPad 8, previously it had been through a powered hub (M4UeX MIDI). I had to connect power to the USB3 CCK for it to work, so not a good mobile option with this iPad.

That's the case with almost every single USB audio-interface, especially if it has the option for 48V phantom power.
    The Behringer UCA-202 can be powered by the iPad without CCK getting additional power.

Most DACs can be powered without additional power to the CCK (nuForce uDAC-2 is one I've got).

As for the EVO4 in general I'm thinking of getting one at some point...
    (Plan is to create a somewhat portable solution with LPPro3, EVO4 hooked to a USB-C PD HUB so I can power the iPad, LPPro3 and EVO4 from one power source that is if/when I get an iPad with USB-C).

I do feel the when it comes to supplying power to connected devices Lightning has reached the end...
    ...too bad Apple has removed the 3.5mm jack from all USB-C based iPads.

I wan't a new iPad but sadly Apple doesn't make any iPads with USB-C and 3.5mm jack...

• Check out the CEntrance MixerFace. Has built in battery. Metal chassis, well built, can do 48v, no need to connect external power to the CCK3. There are a couple different options/ price levels...if you are at all interested in the x/y mics they offer, they have a promo right now if you buy the R4D, you will get the mics free. Generally another $80 to bundle with the base model. $250 standalone. Something I wish I had taken into consideration:

https://centrance.com/mixerface/

• Zoom U24 or U44, depending on what you want. Remember that the 44 can accept the Zoom add-on capsules like the decent mics.

• I’m a big fan of my Evo 4. It records everything really clean

• edited April 2021

@Samu said:

@MadGav said:

That's the case with almost every single USB audio-interface, especially if it has the option for 48V phantom power.
    The Behringer UCA-202 can be powered by the iPad without CCK getting additional power.

Most DACs can be powered without additional power to the CCK (nuForce uDAC-2 is one I've got).

As for the EVO4 in general I'm thinking of getting one at some point...
    (Plan is to create a somewhat portable solution with LPPro3, EVO4 hooked to a USB-C PD HUB so I can power the iPad, LPPro3 and EVO4 from one power source that is if/when I get an iPad with USB-C).

I do feel the when it comes to supplying power to connected devices Lightning has reached the end...
    ...too bad Apple has removed the 3.5mm jack from all USB-C based iPads.

I wan't a new iPad but sadly Apple doesn't make any iPads with USB-C and 3.5mm jack...

Right you are Samu, you hit the nail in the head, the problem is most interfaces (especially if they have a decent headphone amp and deliver phantom power) are not going to be able to be supplied by the weak iPad, therefore the interface needs internal power via batteries, or you’ll have to use a portable battery pack, etc (which I have) but in this case I do not a string of dongle-like pieces such as battery pack, USB hub, CCK, cabling, mini-mixer, etc. flopping all over the place.

I’ve bought the Zoom U-44, it’s less cash than the U-22 (as mentioned!) and it’s well reviewed and quite a bit more flexible than my H4n Pro and I have to keep the economy going by purchasing stuff else we’ll have an economic collapse worse than the Great Depression!

Which reminds me, now that I have been using iPads for a few years, the cost / benefit is nowhere near as great as it first seemed, because the iPad's abilities are rather hobbled and app addiction costs add up and small modern laptops are much more flexible and powerful these days. I still like the iPad platform though, but just not as much as a few years ago, but now I like the iPad only if I can keep the configuration small and portable, else I might as well use a laptop.

• THR30IIA...with a damper on the reasonably priced...but this is so good

• edited April 2021

I have a Yamaha THR10 and a Nux Mighty Plug MP-2 and a Line 6 HX Stomp and many other small guitar devices, the last thing I need in another small device dedicated to guitar! Not to denigrate the THR30IIA but I sure do not need a small box dedicated to only acoustic guitar...uh-oh...it does look nice...wait…do not pull out your credit card Mr. Pup…put the card back in the wallet Puppy Boy...bad Puppers...nooooo...

• @Michael_R_Grant said:
    Zoom U24 or U44, depending on what you want. Remember that the 44 can accept the Zoom add-on capsules like the decent mics.

I’ve got the 24 but was looking at picking up the 44 and adding a decent condenser. Do they have anything that is close to a LDC mic with phantom power? My favorite LDC is a cheap MXL v67g so i don’t need Neumann quality but I do like warm mids and low end.

• @tahiche said:

@puppychumful said:
    Hi mrufino1,

Hi Boosty,

I have the old Zoom H4 and use it as an audio interface when operating from the sofa. It’s powered by the usb-c port and is class compliant. Sounds good enough to me.
    Not a big deal, but I do wish it had some way to control monitoring. I can’t control the monitor level in case I want to, say,just listen to a virtual amp in my daw. I know the u24 has a dedicated knob, don’t know about the h4n. I think you’re fine with the h4n pro.

The inability to turn the direct monitor off is why I don't use my H4 as an interface -- bummer because the mic pres are pretty good.

• edited April 2021

@puppychumful said:
    I have a Yamaha THR10 and a Nux Mighty Plug MP-2 and a Line 6 HX Stomp and many other small guitar devices, the last thing I need in another small device dedicated to guitar! Not to denigrate the THR30IIA but I sure do not need a small box dedicated to only acoustic guitar...uh-oh...it does look nice...wait…do not pull out your credit card Mr. Pup…put the card back in the wallet Puppy Boy...bad Puppers...nooooo...

Well, you know that you can connect your iPad directly to the THR30ii (via USB)...mmmh...and that you have a stereo out should you want to connect it with external speakers...and you have an AUX in and a headphone out (and a microphone in but I’m sure you know that)...

Oh and by the way it sounds terrific! Even through the Line6 wireless compatible transmitter

• cuscolima you are a bad influence on the puppy budget, in any case I have purchased the Zoom U-44 as looks like a fine overall choice in keeping with the battery powered portable ethos of the iPad, even if some other interfaces may have somewhat more pristine converters, the flexibility of the Zoom U-44 wins the battle for me with an iPad, because if I am looking for the ultimate in sonic integrity, I'll wander over to my studio, fire up my Mac Book Pro and all the peripherals, and have at it, but if I want simplicity and portability and flexibility then the iPad with the U-44 has merit.