Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best way to add 1960's grit?

I'm trying to get closer to the elusive sound of 1960's Rome (for popular reference, "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly"). I'm picturing running an app on the master bus to add global dirt and age, but I'm open to suggestions if there's a better way.

With my monthly app budget reset, I'm looking at Fabfilter Saturn 2 and TB Reelbus. Either or both, not sure yet. There are some crossover qualities as both attempt to emulate tape to a degree.

Will those get me there? Are there other suggestions?

Comments

• Both great choices. Reelbus much cheaper but they are both worth having I think if u have the money, both can do things the other can't. Modulation in saturn is crazy. Delays and flanger in Reelbus are great

• I would be more inclined to degrade individual tracks rather than the master bus. The sound from 60s recordings would come from minimal miking, spillage from other tracks, only having a 3 band EQ, driving amps until they vibrate, some nice analog compressors, crappy mixing desks, etc.

Mastering would try to improve the overall mix and sound from either a moon or stereo mix.

• @michael_m said:
    I would be more inclined to degrade individual tracks rather than the master bus. The sound from 60s recordings would come from minimal miking, spillage from other tracks, only having a 3 band EQ, driving amps until they vibrate, some nice analog compressors, crappy mixing desks, etc.

Mastering would try to improve the overall mix and sound from either a moon or stereo mix.

I guess I could have the one earbud hanging out so the previous tracks I'm recording against can be heard while I'm tracking. Heh, sounds stupid but I'm aiming for the sounds of flaws in the recording process.

• @Sabicas said:

@michael_m said:
    I would be more inclined to degrade individual tracks rather than the master bus. The sound from 60s recordings would come from minimal miking, spillage from other tracks, only having a 3 band EQ, driving amps until they vibrate, some nice analog compressors, crappy mixing desks, etc.

I guess I could have the one earbud hanging out so the previous tracks I'm recording against can be heard while I'm tracking. Heh, sounds stupid but I'm aiming for the sounds of flaws in the recording process.

Simulating cross/mic bled can be really useful when trying to emulate the sounds of older recordings.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @BCKeys said:
    I’d go for Tape Pro !

+1 Was just about to post this...

• Reelbus, Lo-Fly Dirt, Eventide TriceraChorus... all nice and dusty!

• I believe ping pong delays were all rage in the 60’s too...

• @Stuntman_mike said:
    I believe ping pong delays were all rage in the 60’s too...

Not sure how available stereo delay was in the 60s - maybe that was more in the 70s than the 60s in general?

• @michael_m said:

@Stuntman_mike said:
    I believe ping pong delays were all rage in the 60’s too...

Not sure how available stereo delay was in the 60s - maybe that was more in the 70s than the 60s in general?

Oops I think I meant slap delay 😂

• @Sabicas said:
    I'm trying to get closer to the elusive sound of 1960's Rome (for popular reference, "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly"). I'm picturing running an app on the master bus to add global dirt and age, but I'm open to suggestions if there's a better way.

With my monthly app budget reset, I'm looking at Fabfilter Saturn 2 and TB Reelbus. Either or both, not sure yet. There are some crossover qualities as both attempt to emulate tape to a degree.

Check out the free but very high quality Chow Tape beta
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/44420/chowtape-public-beta

• @Samu said:

@BCKeys said:
    I’d go for Tape Pro !

Is it better than Reelbus?

• @espiegel123 said:

@Sabicas said:

Thanks. Will give it a go.

• edited April 2021

Run some instruments through an IR of a Fender Twin. Fuzz is good too and rotary effects

• edited April 2021

Reelbus is lighter on resources (less disk space), but TapePro sounds really good too!

• @espiegel123 said:

@Sabicas said:

Hoping Chow Tape makes it to iOS...

• @espiegel123 said:

@Sabicas said:

Came here to say this. It’s fantastic.

• @Fingolfinzz said:
    Run some instruments through an IR of a Fender Twin. Fuzz is good too and rotary effects

That’s a pretty good idea, or any IR for a big bass cab for keyboards, as that was what was often used to amplify keyboards back in the day.

• @NeuM said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Sabicas said:

Hoping Chow Tape makes it to iOS...

It is on iOS in one beta. The link I posted has info in participating in the open beta.

• @Sabicas said:

@Samu said:

@BCKeys said:
    I’d go for Tape Pro !

Is it better than Reelbus?

It’s subjective as always but it does offer way more tweaking compared to Reelbus.

• Deliberately going for the imperfections is one of the most charming things about ios music making. I mean, imagine the same with car enthusiasts: "... time to buy a new family sedan. I'm going for that quaint old ambience of wooden wheels and no suspension" :)

• @ervin said:
    Deliberately going for the imperfections is one of the most charming things about ios music making. I mean, imagine the same with car enthusiasts: "... time to buy a new family sedan. I'm going for that quaint old ambience of wooden wheels and no suspension" :)

Vintage car enthusiasts, like, duh!

• @michael_m said:

+1

I get instant 60’s vibe by using noisy amp emulations etc. Also careful EQ of the master track so it’s not too hifi can get you there. Tape effects can help but don’t overdo it. It may help if you find a track that you like a mix of and try to recreate it using EQ, tape saturation and spring reverb.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • This is a brand new product (desktop). The before and after examples are pretty cool.

https://www.ujam.com/tutorials/bring-back-the-golden-era-of-analog-gear/

• edited April 2021

@Lady_App_titude said:
    This is a brand new product (desktop). The before and after examples are pretty cool.

https://www.ujam.com/tutorials/bring-back-the-golden-era-of-analog-gear/

Also, this demo video is interesting and fun to watch:

• edited April 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ervin said:
    Deliberately going for the imperfections is one of the most charming things about ios music making. I mean, imagine the same with car enthusiasts: "... time to buy a new family sedan. I'm going for that quaint old ambience of wooden wheels and no suspension" :)

@ervin if there was a “follow” button... You nail it time after time 🙌