Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Guitar App Sales: Nembrini vs. Overloud vs. ?

2»

Comments

• For live playing I’m still on the fence regarding software vs hardware, so I have a hybrid set up, real amp and pedal board, but also an interface on the board that can take some pedals at the front end and go out to iOS for processing, and to front of house or an frfr.

I bought a Line6 Helix, the big one. I still played it through my amp which totally defeats the purpose. The advantage of IRs going to front house is that you get a decent and solid, steady sound. You don’t depend on the random in-house tech, mic positioning and so on. That is, if you can’t afford your own sound guy. But I just felt awkward without an amp. Like the “oh, I forgot my wallet” kind of thing.
    I don’t play anymore, but if I did I’d go for IRs for playing live, no amp. Just get used to it.

• edited April 2021

@tahiche said:

For live playing I’m still on the fence regarding software vs hardware, so I have a hybrid set up, real amp and pedal board, but also an interface on the board that can take some pedals at the front end and go out to iOS for processing, and to front of house or an frfr.

I bought a Line6 Helix, the big one. I still played it through my amp which totally defeats the purpose. The advantage of IRs going to front house is that you get a decent and solid, steady sound. You don’t depend on the random in-house tech, mic positioning and so on. That is, if you can’t afford your own sound guy. But I just felt awkward without an amp. Like the “oh, I forgot my wallet” kind of thing.
    I don’t play anymore, but if I did I’d go for IRs for playing live, no amp. Just get used to it.

Yes a digital set up for live playing should use IRs, for sure. A good PA will get that sound out and it will be satisfying, perhaps not as good as a tube amp but also perhaps more “polished” in some ways. PA can be omnipresent rather than a beamy amp on stage. But there are other factors to consider. As a guitarist you still need a stage monitor to hear yourself, the band and you can’t depend on the sound from a PA in the hall or club. So if you have to bring your own monitor you may as well bring an amp. A real amp will also cut through the band better and blend with the band more or organically on the stage. Most of the bands I know using digital to front of house also have monitors or an actual amp in the stage, either to blend it or to be able to hear. The actual comparison is an interface and iOS device and a midi foot board, connected to something like a Headrush frfr. So at that point you basically have an amp, though with many more fx available inside iOS. Then there’s the option of a hardware modeler, but it doesn’t work as well for recording since the tone is imprinted before it reaches the daw.

Now if you tell me that a club has a decent PA and a latency free floor monitor for the band, then for sure an iPhone plus interface plus midi foot control can do the job, and you know exactly what it sounds like. Maybe not tube-like or pushing the same air from a cabinet, but close enough and with a million affordable fx options. Most people will tell you though that digital through a PA doesn’t cut and doesn’t sit well in the mix of a band. But it really depends on what style of music you intend to play. I wouldn’t trust a hard rock or heavy metal band with a fizzy guitar through a PA, but an indie band with lots of fx or a soft jazz or singer songwriter, why not. I think if the tech logistics consistently improve in clubs we will see fewer and fewer amps than we already do.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

I'd say that an AC 30 is my ideal all-purpose amp, and I basically have that in the Nembrini. I always liked a Roland JC120 (is the MixBox simulation any good?) It would be handy to have a Marshall around, but I'm a bass player, and I could never tell the difference between a JMP or a JCM or whatever.

I used the TH-U Roland JC120 emulation on this, it sounded okay, but, from memory, not like the real thing. Strangely, it has no chorus. I think the Amplitube one might be a bit better. (Merry Christmas ~ again!)
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/42784/god-rest-ye-merry-gentlemen-and-gentlewomen#latest

As for amp sims/fx, like many others here, I've got most the Nembrini gear, which covers all my needs - and, as already mentioned, the ChowCentaur has become an essential addition. I almost always find Ownhammer's own selection in the 'Mixes' folder to be best, and a safe choice for those who don't want to play through hundreds of IRs (i.e. files ending OH1-00 thru OH1-10, and usually one of the first three, OH1-00, OH1-01 or OH1-02).

• edited April 2021

@pbelgium said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

I'd say that an AC 30 is my ideal all-purpose amp, and I basically have that in the Nembrini. I always liked a Roland JC120 (is the MixBox simulation any good?) It would be handy to have a Marshall around, but I'm a bass player, and I could never tell the difference between a JMP or a JCM or whatever.

I used the TH-U Roland JC120 emulation on this, it sounded okay, but, from memory, not like the real thing. Strangely, it has no chorus. I think the Amplitube one might be a bit better. (Merry Christmas ~ again!)
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/42784/god-rest-ye-merry-gentlemen-and-gentlewomen#latest

As for amp sims/fx, like many others here, I've got most the Nembrini gear, which covers all my needs - and, as already mentioned, the ChowCentaur has become an essential addition. I almost always find Ownhammer's own selection in the 'Mixes' folder to be best, and a safe choice for those who don't want to play through hundreds of IRs (i.e. files ending OH1-00 thru OH1-10, and usually one of the first three, OH1-00, OH1-01 or OH1-02).

Agree the thu JC120 emulation is decent, but it’s so strange that it doesn’t have the vibrato-chorus circuit on the amp. You have to use the separate “JC vibrato” pedal which is the emulation of that circuit, but it doesn’t come bundled with the amp in the funk bundle and only available in the full pack. Also the 63 Tremolux rig, a favorite of mine, but you need to use the “Amp trem” pedal for the actual trem circuit. But then you have other amps like the licensed SingleMan that has its own spring reverb. I wonder if it’s about licensing or copyrights, or just separating components to make money. Many of the amps in the collection are separated into a la carte channels, while others are not.

• The TH-U JC-120 is okay-ish. I have a JC-120 and don't find the sim captures anything special about the amp.

Re: the complaints about the Revolution bundle. You don't need to audition all the included IRs. The bundle includes a best-of folder and it takes no more than 5 minutes total to gather together a representative IR for each cabinet.

See: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/839352/#Comment_839352

• Well at least Overloud put their desktop sims on sale.

I know some of you like to buy the desktop version and get the iOS model for a buck or so...

• I know some of you like to buy the desktop version and get the iOS model for a buck or so...

Strange. ios app is not on sale (it was till 1th of april) and the desktop is on sale few more days

• Yup, and the iOS versions weren’t close to 43% off, either.

We’re second-class citizens in their book.

I wish they would save me the anguish and stop sending me emails flaunting their excellent desktop deals...

• I'm patiently waiting for the next Nembrini sale then. I looked at AppSliced, and it seems that Nembrini regularly has a short sale after a period of (at the outside) 43 days at full price.

It has now been 44 days since a Nembrini sale.

• I know @flo26 is an excellent guitarist who has basically reviewed all the amp sims in this forum, search by app in the search bar you will probably find the threads.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    I'm patiently waiting for the next Nembrini sale then. I looked at AppSliced, and it seems that Nembrini regularly has a short sale after a period of (at the outside) 43 days at full price.

Good on ya, way to use the price history. That’s what I do, obviously no guarantees, but you can usually get a pretty close estimate about a sale, based on pricing history. Especially if the app/developers other apps have been around long enough to get some good data.

• I’ve recently come back to amp modeling, and found I much prefer TH-U over Nembrini.

But where can I get good IRs to test out? Maybe I prefer cab sims. I don’t want to buy anything until I can make an informed decision on what to buy.

Are there trials available ?

• @mistercharlie said:
    I’ve recently come back to amp modeling, and found I much prefer TH-U over Nembrini.

But where can I get good IRs to test out? Maybe I prefer cab sims. I don’t want to buy anything until I can make an informed decision on what to buy.

Are there trials available ?

There aren’t trials available. If you search the forum you will find very few who don’t find the OwnHammer rEvolution bundle a worthwhile investment.

Find Daveypoo’s video exploring IRs if you haven’t heard it.

• @espiegel123 Thanks! I’ll check that video now.

• edited January 2022

Here is a little tip. On the Gearpage you can find this free IR's

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/some-free-mix-irs-wav-format.2084301/

I came to this because of this topic, someone mentioned the LT TV Mix as a favorite

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/you-only-get-one-ir-which-is-it.2227931/

I own some York and Ownhammer IR's, (Fender DXVB is pretty good), but I loaded this LT TV Mix IR in my Mooer Radar, and never changed it anymore. I just stick to that one, for convenience.

• Thank you for this!

@raabje said:
    Here is a little tip. On the Gearpage you can find this free IR's

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/some-free-mix-irs-wav-format.2084301/

I came to this because of this topic, someone mentioned the LT TV Mix as a favorite

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/you-only-get-one-ir-which-is-it.2227931/

I own some York and Ownhammer IR's, (Fender DXVB is pretty good), but I loaded this LT TV Mix IR in my Mooer Radar, and never changed it anymore. I just stick to that one, for convenience.

• I use RedWirez on my desktop and I like it! You could try free IR on the RW's web.
    https://redwirez.com/pages/the-marshall-1960a-ir-pack

Also you I would recomend Celestion free IR.
    https://www.celestionplus.com/free-download/

• i put a nembrini amp panned far left on one channel, and THU panned hard right on another channel. they are both very cool. amazing what kind of tone you can get out of a ipad guitar amp app these days.

• Awesome! Thanks!

@Kranick said:
    I use RedWirez on my desktop and I like it! You could try free IR on the RW's web.
    https://redwirez.com/pages/the-marshall-1960a-ir-pack

Also you I would recomend Celestion free IR.
    https://www.celestionplus.com/free-download/

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    I'm patiently waiting for the next Nembrini sale then. I looked at AppSliced, and it seems that Nembrini regularly has a short sale after a period of (at the outside) 43 days at full price.

Nembrini has a mailing list signup at the bottom - left corner of their home page: https://www.nembriniaudio.com. They don't spam a bunch of emails. I get maybe one a month.

• Well this was a surprise. I loaded an IR into the basic TH-U free amp, and it’s nicer than my usual rig—an Ethos Clean pre-amp and Mooer Radar, plus a few pedals.

No detectable latency, either.

I think I may be making a purchase! Things have come a long way since Bias and Tonestack

• @wim said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Nembrini has a mailing list signup at the bottom - left corner of their home page: https://www.nembriniaudio.com. They don't spam a bunch of emails. I get maybe one a month.

Thank you!