Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - April 2021

What is the Song of the Month Club?

It's a place where musicians come to give and receive feedback on their work. Anyone is welcome, whatever their level of ability.

The spirit of the club is to contribute: if you submit a song for others to comment on, you should also have the courtesy to listen to everyone else's contributions and give as much feedback as possible. Posting a track and not listening and commenting on others is not cool.

The purpose of feedback is to be honest. Essentially you should give your truthful impressions of the song, whether good or bad. Negative feedback, if done in the right spirit and with courtesy, can be the most useful and can help the artist to grow and improve and correct their mistakes.

All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. We like all kinds of music and we are particularly fond of vocals (but of course we still love a great instrumental). If you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

We ask that you only post one song per month in this thread - if you're lucky enough to be able to produce more, then please just submit your strongest material

And finally, iOS is not a requirement for posting here. If you've recorded your song using nothing but a ukulele and a Fostex 4 track, that's fine

Comments

• My entry for the month, lyrics in the spoiler:

So you heard the news today
    You heard some things I had to say
    I could have told you
    But I found that too hard to do

All that I want from you
    Just say I'm not to blame
    Even if it's not true
    I wanna hear it all the same

Tell me tell me what you meant
    Tell me how the story went
    I could have told you
    But you and I already knew

All that I want from you
    As we walk home in the rain
    Just do what you wanna do
    So I can do the same

• This is an older one. It was done while I was waiting for a flight at the LaGuardia Airport in New York. I used the Alchemy app to create the music and Auria Pro to record it.

It’s titled Music from LaGuardia.

• @richardyot said:
    My entry for the month, lyrics in the spoiler:

Nice laid back vibe and good use of the GarageBand drummer (I hope I haven’t guessed wrong!).

The second half of the vocal where you sing the lead hook (“all that I want..”) is stronger than the first but which I’d maybe shift up in pitch a little?
    But it’s probably exactly as intended to give the main hook more prominence...

I also think there’s space in the arrangement to bring back the DM-like synth bell melody from the start of the tune later on too, but it still works as it is :-)

Anyway Nicely done as always.

• edited April 2021

Here’s one I made mainly on my iPhone, playing with arrangement ideas in BlocsWave before finally arranging it in NS2, using Slate to trigger the sample loops.

Once I was more or less happy with it I exported the stems to Logic to finish it off and add the kitchen sink to the mix.

Not my best work but I’m fairly pleased to get anything ‘finished’ as it’s been pretty tough to find a minute to myself this past year!!

I enjoyed making it and that’s good enough for me at the moment :-)

• @klownshed said:
    Here’s one I made mainly on my iPhone, playing with arrangement ideas in BlocsWave before finally arranging it in NS2, using Slate to trigger the sample loops.

Once I was more or less happy with it I exported the stems to Logic to finish it off and add the kitchen sink to the mix.

Not my best work but I’m fairly pleased to get anything ‘finished’ as it’s been pretty tough to find a minute to myself this past year!!

(Thanks for your review of my song, feedback appreciated)

I like the way the track builds, there is a real progression from one part to the other and as a result the track gets better and better over time. The arp that comes in at the one-minute mark and the string-like synth that follows are the strongest parts for me, but I do also like the brooding bassline and the relentless thwack of the snare.

There's also lots of interesting sounds: the vocal-like samples, the morse code sound that comes out of the right-hand speaker, and the filtered synth.

If I had one criticism it would be that the intro could be more melodic, but otherwise it's all good.

• @DavidEnglish said:
    This is an older one. It was done while I was waiting for a flight at the LaGuardia Airport in New York. I used the Alchemy app to create the music and Auria Pro to record it.

Beautiful meditative piece. I really enjoyed listening to it.

• More heavy stuff from us this month. All the instrumentation apart from the strings were done in Garageband on the iPad. Vocals, strings arrangement, mixing and mastering done in Logic on the Mac. I dug out some old apps that I haven't used for years for the organ sound, Magellan and bs16-i. Turn it up loud and keep on rocking.

• edited April 2021

Hi everyone! Haven’t made music for a year because I was busy building myself a yurt. So since January I am living in it and found time again to create music.

This one was for some Sample Competition, where the topic was to create something “grimey” Had to make some research about what the expression means and also about the music style...

I mainly use BM3 for the sampling and arranging, but recorded outside instruments from Beathawk and Korg Gagdget into BM 3. I always bounce everything direct to Audio, because otherwise BM3 is crashing too often... Mastering with The Barkfilter Magic ;] Ah and guitar through Bias FX into BM3..

Okay guys, have a nice one!

• @orchardman said:
    More heavy stuff from us this month. All the instrumentation apart from the strings were done in Garageband on the iPad. Vocals, strings arrangement, mixing and mastering done in Logic on the Mac. I dug out some old apps that I haven't used for years for the organ sound, Magellan and bs16-i. Turn it up loud and keep on rocking.

Really good track! That guitar motif is simple but very effective! That other guitar part is rocking hard. Yeah! The organ sounds beautiful! All parts go very well together and the overall sound is great. The vocal melody could sit a bit better in the mix but I like the melancholic touch in her voice!

• @klownshed said:

Yo man, that is superdope! I am really digging this track! I remember last year when you posted "Lies". It became my shower track for around 2 weeks :P
    This one got some great energy! The way it builds is perfect! Lots of things happening! That wobbling 303 bass!! The quiet parts with this strange voice gibberish! The strings! They remind me in one part on the movie 'Das Boot' and its Soundtrack...
    Cool beans, only maybe the intro falls a bit short as Richard already mentioned. On the other hand it was a nice surprise, because I expected some 8bit kind of sound after the intro and in the end it gets quite big the track... :)

• @DavidEnglish said:
    This is an older one. It was done while I was waiting for a flight at the LaGuardia Airport in New York. I used the Alchemy app to create the music and Auria Pro to record it.

Very meditative. Slow down your thoughts. Breathe deep. Relax... I love to have this on headphones while being in the nature, if you then start moving like in slow motion that makes you totally high :P In my opinion the better visuals than those geometrical lights ;)

• @richardyot said:

I could have told you

All that I want from you
    Even if it's not true

I could have told you

All that I want from you
    So I can do the same

Yo Richard! I see you stay true to your style! Melancholic, cold with those typical tension vibrating over all the track... But this time my highlight is in that B Part with that super cool Saxophone Lick and the uplifting hihat upbeat!! This is my shimmer of hopefulness in the richardyot universe ;-) It is the Geoshred Sax right?

• @uglyskratch said:

@richardyot said:

I could have told you

All that I want from you
    Even if it's not true

I could have told you

All that I want from you
    So I can do the same

Yo Richard! I see you stay true to your style! Melancholic, cold with those typical tension vibrating over all the track... But this time my highlight is in that B Part with that super cool Saxophone Lick and the uplifting hihat upbeat!! This is my shimmer of hopefulness in the richardyot universe ;-) It is the Geoshred Sax right?

Thanks for the listen - yes that is the SWAMM sax in Geoshred :)

• @uglyskratch said:
    Hi everyone! Haven’t made music for a year because I was busy building myself a yurt. So since January I am living in it and found time again to create music.

This one was for some Sample Competition, where the topic was to create something “grimey” Had to make some research about what the expression means and also about the music style...

I mainly use BM3 for the sampling and arranging, but recorded outside instruments from Beathawk and Korg Gagdget into BM 3. I always bounce everything direct to Audio, because otherwise BM3 is crashing too often... Mastering with The Barkfilter Magic ;] Ah and guitar through Bias FX into BM3..

Hey welcome back! This one is actually a bit less crazy than some of the sample-based collages you posted in the past. It's still got a lot of creative sampling going on though, really getting the most out of BM3.

The guitar is great, and adds a really nice heavy texture to the track. Lots of great sounds and textures behind all the spoken word: menacing bass, swirling keys, horns, wobble synths etc. Great stuff!

• @uglyskratch

I like this. It builds nicely and the spoken word bit is very cool. My only criticism is that you keep teasing that a huge drop is coming but it never quite materialises :-)

But even without a huge epic chorus it still keeps interest going thanks to the main spoken vocal which i like a lot.

• @uglyskratch said:

@klownshed said:

Yo man, that is superdope! I am really digging this track! I remember last year when you posted "Lies". It became my shower track for around 2 weeks :P

Wow. I’m made up that you remembered my old track. Thanks :-)

This one got some great energy! The way it builds is perfect! Lots of things happening! That wobbling 303 bass!! The quiet parts with this strange voice gibberish! The strings! They remind me in one part on the movie 'Das Boot' and its Soundtrack...
    Cool beans, only maybe the intro falls a bit short as Richard already mentioned. On the other hand it was a nice surprise, because I expected some 8bit kind of sound after the intro and in the end it gets quite big the track... :)

Cool — I’m glad you liked it :-)

• @klownshed said:

@uglyskratch said:

@klownshed said:

That was a genuinely great track! I still remember it too!

• edited April 2021

@richardyot said:

Thanks for the listen - yes that is the SWAMM sax in Geoshred :)

Yeah, I also own the Sax and the Violin... Amazing sound!! Wanna really use them in some track but Geoshred and BM3 is a terrible Combination on my iPad, Crashfest :neutral: Should maybe consider getting Cubasis or sth...

@richardyot said:

Hey welcome back! This one is actually a bit less crazy than some of the sample-based collages you posted in the past. It's still got a lot of creative sampling going on though, really getting the most out of BM3.

The guitar is great, and adds a really nice heavy texture to the track. Lots of great sounds and textures behind all the spoken word: menacing bass, swirling keys, horns, wobble synths etc. Great stuff!

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah I wanted to keep stuff more simple with this one, just some days before I had overdone it a bit with a crazy sample collage, which I regretted a lot because it was not very nice to mix... So here I kept things more simple and achieved my up to date best mix...

@klownshed said:

I like this. It builds nicely and the spoken word bit is very cool. My only criticism is that you keep teasing that a huge drop is coming but it never quite materialises :-)

But even without a huge epic chorus it still keeps interest going thanks to the main spoken vocal which i like a lot.

Thanks for the listen and feedback! That drop which didnt come... Easy excuse ->There was a 3:00 minute time limit as a rule of the challenge ;-) So yeah I had the feeling too while creating that there could be sth. more, that sth. was unfinished, but on the other hand, there is this message behind the song and so I think it fits quite good. That it is kind of a cliffhanger, an open end where we don't know how the story goes on.. ;)

@klownshed said:

Yeah man, I am a fan :wink: Release more stuff!!! :smile:

• Still with CAAt Claw this month from our new album "Kréaturrs !"

Photos by Isabelle Bagdassarian, video by Patrick Guillot

Translation try:

Machinus vivae

The rootlets get in the way
    Slip between the interstices
    Daring propellers
    Intercept the quivering cogs
    Tenderly
    They wind up
    Patiently
    They twist and turn
    Loosen the silica components

Shake the algorithms
    0110 to the four seasons
    Synchronise the rhythms
    in unison
    Two worlds that make a pact
    To the four seasons 0110

0110 to the four seasons

At the heart of the machine
    new shoots express themselves
    To the rhythm of the beats
    filaments take root

0110 to the four seasons

• @richardyot said:

@uglyskratch said:

Thank you. I appreciate it :-)

Unfortunately I’m not very prolific! I do have lots of stuff going back a few decades though, I have a personal website with some songs on it (including actual proper songs with a singer and everything!) — I can DM you a link if you like :-)

Self promotion has never been something I’ve been any good at! :lol:

• @klownshed said:

@richardyot said:

@uglyskratch said:

Thank you. I appreciate it :-)

Unfortunately I’m not very prolific! I do have lots of stuff going back a few decades though, I have a personal website with some songs on it (including actual proper songs with a singer and everything!) — I can DM you a link if you like :-)

Self promotion has never been something I’ve been any good at! :lol:

Yeah, DM away, I would like to hear it 👍

• edited April 2021

@klownshed said:
    I can DM you a link if you like :-)

Oh yeah please do so! 👍😉

• @richardyot said:

I could have told you

All that I want from you
    Even if it's not true

I could have told you

All that I want from you
    So I can do the same

Great dark atmospheric intro and you are really nailing the funky bass lines at the moment. Loving the fact you got some sax in there as well. Great job.

• @DavidEnglish said:

Some very nice pad sounds with just a hint of something more menacing bubbling underneath. It reminded me a little of the introduction of the song Soon by Yes. It would have been nice if you had built a melodic theme over the top of the pad layers.

• @klownshed said:

Some great bass and string synth sounds. It had a real cinematic vibe to it from about the 2 minute mark and built up the drama throughout the track.

• @uglyskratch said:

A strong production with some great sounds. Loved the guitar. It would have been nice to have some sort of melodic hook just to break it up a little.

• @Kitusai said:
    Still with CAAt Claw this month from our new album "Kréaturrs !"

Translation try:

Machinus vivae

Daring propellers
    Tenderly
    They wind up
    Patiently
    They twist and turn

Shake the algorithms
    0110 to the four seasons
    Synchronise the rhythms
    in unison
    To the four seasons 0110

0110 to the four seasons

filaments take root

0110 to the four seasons

Really professional production with beautiful vocals and your own unique instrumentation. Great job as usual.

• @uglyskratch said:

@orchardman said:
    More heavy stuff from us this month. All the instrumentation apart from the strings were done in Garageband on the iPad. Vocals, strings arrangement, mixing and mastering done in Logic on the Mac. I dug out some old apps that I haven't used for years for the organ sound, Magellan and bs16-i. Turn it up loud and keep on rocking.

Really good track! That guitar motif is simple but very effective! That other guitar part is rocking hard. Yeah! The organ sounds beautiful! All parts go very well together and the overall sound is great. The vocal melody could sit a bit better in the mix but I like the melancholic touch in her voice!

Thanks for the listen and the feedback.

• @orchardman said:

The riff that comes just after the intro is great, catchy, memorable and the way the bass locks in with it is really cool. The interplay between the guitar parts is really effective.

Good melancholy vocal melody that contrasts against the heavy guitars. It might be worth trying to find a sweeter reverb to really complement the vocal - one thing I like to do is use something like FabFilter Pro-R or Toneboosters Reverb and match the timbre of the reflections to that of the vocal, it helps to make the reverb blend with the voice well.

But it's another very good track. The organ part that bookends the start and finish is also really nice.

• @Kitusai said:
    Still with CAAt Claw this month from our new album "Kréaturrs !"

Translation try:

Machinus vivae

Daring propellers
    Tenderly
    They wind up
    Patiently
    They twist and turn

Shake the algorithms
    0110 to the four seasons
    Synchronise the rhythms
    in unison
    To the four seasons 0110

0110 to the four seasons

filaments take root

0110 to the four seasons

Once again you've done a great job of providing some atmospheric and interesting music underneath the words. the bells and percussion are beautiful and hypnotic and really help to underscore the vocal.