Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Learning keys for guitar player

My main instrument is the guitar, and I’m pretty good at it. I also have a good understanding of music theory.

I want to learn keys. I can kind of bang out chords, and play the odd melody, but I’m a total amateur tbh. What’s a good way to learn the basics actually playing? Chord and scale drills, finger workouts, that kind of stuff?

Comments

• @mistercharlie said:
    My main instrument is the guitar, and I’m pretty good at it. I also have a good understanding of music theory.

I want to learn keys. I can kind of bang out chords, and play the odd melody, but I’m a total amateur tbh. What’s a good way to learn the basics actually playing? Chord and scale drills, finger workouts, that kind of stuff?

Linnstrument or equivalent and call it a day

• For adult learners, I thought the Alfreds All-In-One Adult method (vols 1 and 2) were - and still are - pretty good, and so did a couple of actual piano teachers that I knew. Worked well enough for relearning piano as an adult after having had some lessons as a child, then not playing anything until taking up guitar in college. Vol. 3 is just "lite classical" stuff which can be safely skipped.

This book has a fantastic section on easy ("cheat") right hand fingerings for scales in the more awkward keys. But I've noticed peeps who consider themselves to be rock musos run away screaming from anything with the word "jazz" anywhere in the title, and some are turned off by the price. But I do think this book is excellent as a supplement after working through the Alfreds.
    https://www.shermusic.com/1883217121.php

• The Alfred books are definitely a good start, and once you pick up some ability to sight read (no matter how slow that might be), start searching the internet for beginner pieces that you already know.

Also, if you want to drill finger exercises, the Hanon Virtuoso Pianist is great. Some people are put off by the repetitive drills, but they’re really worth it as they build some important skills.

• If you get the All-In-One Alfreds instead of the other Alfreds, you'll get a selection of Hanon exercises and stuff. Then you won't have to buy a whole book of Hanon.

All-In-One means you get theory, technique, and lessons.

• @audiobussy Part of my reason for learning keys is to play the OP-1 I already have. Those alternative layouts are nice though.

@GovernorSilver Will check them out. Not a fan of jazz in general, but I study it a lot for guitar theory. Those chords!

@michael_m I’m all for the drills. Love them on guitar already.

Looks like Alfred books are the consensus so far. Thanks!