Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Solo - Fretboard Visualizatio‪n

This is a guitar practice app, for improvising guitarists:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/solo-fretboard-visualization/id1537057699

1 min. video explaining what it does

20 min. video in which Tom Quayle introduces the app in more detail

Tom's getting started video

The app's Tutorials tab includes a series of lessons/exercise ideas like Limitation Exercises. I feel like these lessons add a lot of value to this app.

The Instrument options include guitar of course, as well as bass, Bb horn, Eb horn and "concert pitch". I tried the app with my acoustic viola, leaving the Instrument option set to 6-string guitar, and was pleased to find that, after calibration, the app can detect my viola pitch reasonably well. For the viola test, I selected Level = 3rd 5th 7th and Chord Changes = 500 Miles.

Comments

• I was looking for something like this a few years ago. It looks like it can be used for call-and-response practice. Pretty cool.

• edited March 2021

This is (IMO) a really good training app. I'm a bit disappointed with the support though. I emailed them a request shortly after release and Tom Quayle said they were going to look at implementing that. I got a message saying my request had been added and asking for a review so I gave a preemptive positive review only to find that the feature was not implemented. Now I've sent 2 requests to the same email over the last month and there has been no response. A bit worried this was a drop and run affair.

• @Ailerom said:
    This is (IMO) a really good training app. I'm a bit disappointed with the support though. I emailed them a request shortly after release and Tom Quayle said they were going to look at implementing that. I got a message saying my request had been added and asking for a review so I gave a preemptive positive review only to find that the feature was not implemented. Now I've sent 2 requests to the same email over the last month and there has been no response. A bit worried this was a drop and run affair.

What features are you pushing for? Bug fixes or new features?

Tom mentioned that there are 3 members of the team/company and only one is a developer. They made the decision to focus the developer porting the code to Android
    so unless your pushing for Android all the technical effort is working against you.

After the Android port ships I suspect you see more "support". The 2 guitar teachers are
    useless other than providing status on the developer and we all know that a busy developer
    just keeps his head down and codes... estimates are difficult and frequently off by a few miles.

Have you developed a habit of using the app to learn the fretboard. As a keyboard player
    I can tell the idea has value for any instrument including the human voice for developing
    a practical sense of music harmony.

Maybe I can tell something from the app reviews. I hope it's not buggy and the features demo'ed in the videos work well. I do think you need to have done a lot of work already to
    even start with this app but it could help people like me find a workout to get past just playing shapes and actually seeing intervals and scales with deep insight on the fretboard and improvising with knowledge and not just running scale shapes which is where I'm at currently. When I hear good improvisers talk they say this is how they think and they don't
    think of scales. The mental connections between sound and mechanics are well established and almost function without critical thought... they sing though their instrument.

Something worth $15 but only if you do the work. Otherwise it's another $15 app you might regret because it keeps making you fell like a slacker for just doing the same things over and over without making much progress.

• FYI: The user reviews are pretty solid (4.8 with 69 reviews) with a few complaints that there's no TAB to help show the notes (i.e. display the solution to the drill) or chords sounding to provide a frame of reference. Both excellent features but there are apps that do that that could be used.

"A few years" of effort using the app as designed should really show skills that can't be earned with any other approach. Shapes and scale drills just won't do more than program
    someone to play licks and cliches. There are many that make a decent living playing licks and cliches and sometimes t blinding speeds... a lot of shredding follows this alternative path.

That's often why someone gets stuck in a genre... they don't really know how music functions but they have a mass of muscle memory for playing the same ideas over and over.

Using this app with a metronome so note production is measured against response time could make someone a true musician. Still... $15 on IOS buys a lot of distractions.

• edited March 2021

@McD said:

@Ailerom said:

What features are you pushing for? Bug fixes or new features?

Tom mentioned that there are 3 members of the team/company and only one is a developer. They made the decision to focus the developer porting the code to Android
    so unless your pushing for Android all the technical effort is working against you.

After the Android port ships I suspect you see more "support". The 2 guitar teachers are
    useless other than providing status on the developer and we all know that a busy developer
    just keeps his head down and codes... estimates are difficult and frequently off by a few miles.

Have you developed a habit of using the app to learn the fretboard. As a keyboard player
    I can tell the idea has value for any instrument including the human voice for developing
    a practical sense of music harmony.

Maybe I can tell something from the app reviews. I hope it's not buggy and the features demo'ed in the videos work well. I do think you need to have done a lot of work already to
    even start with this app but it could help people like me find a workout to get past just playing shapes and actually seeing intervals and scales with deep insight on the fretboard and improvising with knowledge and not just running scale shapes which is where I'm at currently. When I hear good improvisers talk they say this is how they think and they don't
    think of scales. The mental connections between sound and mechanics are well established and almost function without critical thought... they sing though their instrument.

Something worth $15 but only if you do the work. Otherwise it's another $15 app you might regret because it keeps making you fell like a slacker for just doing the same things over and over without making much progress.

It was a new feature. Tome said they would add it and then told me they did. They didn't. It was alternate tuning for guitar with option show/detect note position or actual notes. Like I said I've emailed twice in the last month with no reply. I had success the first time.

As I said above it's a really good training app. I just use other tuning which means I have to play out of position.

• @Ailerom said:
    As I said above it's a really good training app. I just use other tuning which means I have to play out of position.

That's interesting. The video shows the app display a Chord name with 1 3 5 7 chord interval patterns and then it detects the pitch of the notes played. Why doesn't it work for you?

Maybe it displays scales and chords using tab... that would be a problem. Learning the fretboard takes a huge effort and learning it with multiple tunings just makes it multiply
    difficult.

I saw Frank Gambale's version of "Nashville" tuning: set up the guitar with lighter gauge
    string for the E-A-D-G and tune them up an octave. Then you can play using normal chord shapes but the chords get whole new inversions. He has a double guitar with traditional and this FG Nashville necks. It makes a lot of sense for someone that learned the E-A-D-G-B-E
    fretboard.

What's your favorite alternate tuning? Is it a 6 string guitar for that matter? Extra strings are
    becoming popular to add lower bass notes.

I know a lot of guitarists use alternate tunings to find new sounds and to benefit from the
    beautiful sounds of open strings in their chords. Joni Mitchell wrote a lot of songs by finding great guitar sounds with alternate tunings. It open doors to new sounds.

Financially, I could see why the developer would target Android for extra payback before
    adding support to show scales/chords in alternate tunings but the app still works on pitch detection so it should have some value.

Allan Holdsworth settled on just tuning in 4ths: E-A-D-G-C-F so the interval patterns are consistent across the neck.

I'd like to see stretched chords across the neck like C-G-E and the 2 inverted forms of that.
    I could just memorize the shapes. Using shapes I learned the E's and A strings but D-G-B in the upper positions are all lost to me but this app could fix that with some effort.

Goals and strategies to reach them are key.

• I'm just half a step down. So I asked the could implement an alternate tuning with choice to show note name in position or as they actually are. My preference is to show the note name for the played position regardless of me a half step down.

• Oh yes... The SRV down a 1/2 step tuning. (Maybe some older bluesman pioneered that technique to get more tone). I always assumed that heavier strings would be involved.

I can see how that would be a useful feature but only for a very small number of users.

Hopefully, the feature will show up for you in an update if they told you they implemented it.

• @McD said:

Allan Holdsworth settled on just tuning in 4ths: E-A-D-G-C-F so the interval patterns are consistent across the neck.

Holdsworth only tuned the Synth Axe in 4ths, his guitar was in normal guitar tuning. I think Tom Quayle tunes in 4ths.

• edited March 2021

@McD said:
    Oh yes... The SRV down a 1/2 step tuning. (Maybe some older bluesman pioneered that technique to get more tone). I always assumed that heavier strings would be involved.

Heavier strings can be necessary. I think it's Robbin Trower plays a step down to accomodate 11 to 56 strings. My use is more something that started with a Slash obsession. Plenty of others that play a half step down though. Alice In Chains, Hendrix, Smashing Pumpkins, Black Sabbath, some Van Halen, Live. I was doing CP i my 3 piece acoustic but dropped down to accomodate the vocalist so we play everything like that. Lynnard Skynard, Yngwie Malmsteen, Robert Johnson and on and on.

• edited March 2021

All i need to know is-
    1. Can I input my own progressions/changes
    2. Can I somehow route various synth apps on iPad to input for note detection.(I see that you can use interfaces for electric instruments and vocals, but no word on inter-app or auv3 love)
    Anyone know?
    I’ve emailed support, waiting on an answer.

• @tput73 said:
    All i need to know is-
    2. Can I somehow route various synth apps on iPad to input for note detection.(I see that you can use interfaces for electric instruments and vocals, but no word on inter-app or auv3 love)
    Anyone know?

1. No.
    2. No.
  • edited March 2021

@tput73 said:
    All i need to know is-
    Anyone know?

1. No
    2. Probably not. If an app does not advertise AUv3 or Audiobus support, it's a safe bet that it doesn't have it.

If you are looking for an app that can convert audio to MIDI, this app is not it. Thumbjam is better suited for that job.

• edited March 2021

Can this be used in landscape mode on an ipad? The videos I’ve seen show the app working in portrait.

• @Mmmwahaha said:
    Can this be used in landscape mode on an ipad? The videos I’ve seen show the app working in portrait.

Yes, no problem with landscape.

• @tput73 said:
    All i need to know is-
    Anyone know?

Will be interested to see if you get a response.

• No response from dev yet.
    @GovernorSilver not trying to convert audio to midi. What I’m wondering is if I can practice on my Linnstrument with this app and various synth apps on iPad. So Solo would ideally just receive that audio somehow. Probably only would work if it was inter-app or auv3.
    Second option is using Linnstrument with hardware synth and sending into interface and into Solo app. This seems the most obvious workable option as website lists interfaces it has been tested with.
    Or of course I could pick up the bass in the corner of the room like a normal person😳

• I think I asked the Devs a similar question in January, in my case recognising output from GeoShred and this was the answer then

' Tony, thanks for your interest in Solo.

Solo does not currently work with background audio/multiple apps as we ran into insurmountable problems with the recognition engine trying to implement it. We are not currently pursuing multi app audio, but I will put it back onto the discussion list to revisit for future updates.'

Hope this helps

• It has iPhone and iPad support. I considering trying the iPad-to-iPhone connection and seeing if I can detect iPad apps pitch on the iPhone Solo instance. I also have an iPhone 5S
    I've used but I'll need to see what OS versions are supported. OS 13 or later...

It's supports M1 computers!

I'll see if my iPhone 11 can be cabled accordingly... probably with an Audio interface.

• I tried this and it's a world of pain. The problem is iOS's insistence on a single audio output, plus the fact that Solo doesn't allow audio monitoring. Say you have your controller cabled to your iPhone through the Lightning port, and your iPhone is connected to your iPad running Solo via an audio cable. Solo will then hear what you play on the iPhone, but only if you can't. I tried using an audio splitter on the iPhone (in my case iPod Touch) output and Solo couldn't hear what I played. iOS only routes audio through the last-connected audio interface. I still feel there must be a clever way round this, but I haven't found it yet. In fairness to the Solo team, most of their users aren't us and will just be boringly playing their guitars straight into the app. But @tput73 is absolutely right; if I had a Linnstrument, an app that did what this one says on the tin would be so far up my street it'd be living over the pub.

• @Ailerom said:

Not sure what went wrong with my email attempts but I got through. The feature I asked for has now been implemented within a matter of days. So I am pretty sure they are trying to keep up the support/development. Very good outcome for me and hopefully others.

• @Ailerom said:
    Not sure what went wrong with my email attempts but I got through. The feature I asked for has now been implemented within a matter of days.

I'm watching the videos that Tom and David are putting out to explain the way to use this
    training app and I'm intrigued.

• @McD i bought it now I just need to find a way to pipe in the audio “quietly” while everyone sleeps

• @mjcouche said:
    @McD i bought it now I just need to find a way to pipe in the audio “quietly” while everyone sleeps

There are lots of options... audio interfaces, iRig converters. My new iPhone forced me to
    get a Zoom U-44 and I'm glad because it has so many use cases. It has optical SPDIF ports
    that has been useful with some of my hardware. It's a little larger than I want in most cases
    so the iRig's come in handy. I have the older headphone jack version and they sell for $10 now. They are prone to feedback but should be fine for this application and they keep the cables to minimum and don't need batteries or a power connection. The Lightning connector version (iRig HD) is great but only works when you have an IOS device with a headphone out. I think the iRig Duo or Pro might have a headphone jack. There are more
    of these guitar only devices.

• @McD yes I’ve got the Shure mVi...May use the Jammy for a practice instrument as it is near silent (even compared to electric guitar).

• @mjcouche said:
    @McD yes I’ve got the Shure mVi...May use the Jammy for a practice instrument as it is near silent (even compared to electric guitar).

Doesn't the Jammy only output MIDI? That's going to be a problem. Solo only takes external audio. I hope the developer gets around to using an Audio Interoperability interface: AudioBus, IAA or AUv3 in a future update. It will open the app to more users beyond just guitar and also any MIDI controller type (Keyboard, Jammy, EWI, etc).

• Jammy has some onboard sounds it can use through audio.

• I was bored in the garden so I bought the app and gave it a test run by whistling into
    my iPhone using the "Autumn Leaves" progression and 1-3-5 chords. It works great
    and really helps with ear training beyond the guitar use case.

My iPhone doesn't have an earphone jack so I'm going to try using one of these:

with one of these:

What are the odds this will work using headphones?

• @McD said:
    I was bored in the garden so I bought the app and gave it a test run by whistling into
    my iPhone using the "Autumn Leaves" progression and 1-3-5 chords. It works great

with one of these:

If that doesn’t work, I’d say a line 6 sonic port would be the neatest solution for you here. Pretty cheap these days on eBay I think.

• McDMcD
    edited April 2021

@McD said:
    I was bored in the garden so I bought the app and gave it a test run by whistling into

with one of these:

It doesn't work...

So, I tried my Lightning iRig HD sacrificing the chance of a headphone port. DOESN'T DETECT AUDIO.

So, I tried my Zoom U-44 with batteries. NOPE.
    Zoom with USB connection getting power from the Camera Kit Adapter Power. NOPE.

Prosonus AudioBox USB with Camera Kit Adapter Power. YES!!!
    It has a head phone port.

There must be a USB class compliant Audio Interface requirement.