Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Help me buy more apps on a tight budget

Hello everyone. I have 50$ to spend at the start of the month, and this might be the last month I might be able to buy using my debit card, since the banks are tightening the unofficial capital control imposed in my country and the bank I’m dealing with is one of the last banks allowing international transactions. I have an ipad air 1 and below are the apps I already own.

Ripplemaker
synthmasterone
model d and model 15(can only use one instance in AUM)
magelan 1
Animoog
photophore
Sunrizer

Impaktor
fractal bits
patterning 2
noir

jam maestro
geoshred
ifretless bass

drambo
borderlands
samplr
idensity
xequence 2
roseta
fugue machine
mozaic
kb-1
chordmaps2

stratosphere
kosmonaut
roughrider
tb dual vcf
apefilter

Aum
Audioshare
Audiobus 3

I don’t need a daw, I’m satisfied with my aum - drambo - xequence 2 workflow. and I will be mixing the audio in Reaper
I don’t need more effects or mixing and mastering tools, I have the fabfilter bundle on my desktop.

I will be getting Tonality. That’s 6$. A couple of days ago @TonalityApp allowed me to test it and the app was exactly what I needed and completely improved my workflow.

steppolyarp, wotja21, IVCS3 and sunvox are on my radar, but I’m not sure if the first two offer anything that I cannot do using the apps I already have, and I’m not sure if the last two offer more that what ripplemaker and model 15 already do.

I’m not sure if I need another synth, maybe what I need are the apps that can help me interact with the synths I already have. Midi apps, but it feels like they are the same, or do the same job. Do I need another arpegiator? another sequencer? I already have roseta and drambo for that.

Would you recommend tb morphit If all that I have is sennheizer cx 100?

Is there any realistic sounding guitar app that I can play with geoshred?

The music I aspire to make is a blend of all my inspirations. A freak child of Tool, tipper, Yoshimura, and generative otherworldly, strange soundscapes.

Thanks everyone in advance.

Peace and love to all of you.

Comments

• Save ya money.

Or radio unit for sampling. Gauss is good for aum live sessions with radio unit and apps. An fm synth. Someting from sugar bytes. Apparillo. Sb drum ( unless patterning and noir are fine ) Shockwave synth. Or just buy morphit. I just use superlux hd681 evo.

• If you want to learn mirack i highly suggest getting that. It’s an entire playground of sequencers, vcos, effects, lfos, sample players, and more more more.
    Also i don’t see zeeon on your list, that’s an amazing synth.

• @Hursoom I know I’ve said it before and may not change your mind, but please save your money! The beta will be open as long as you want it.

I also recommend Zeeon

• @reasOne said:
    If you want to learn mirack i highly suggest getting that. It’s an entire playground of sequencers, vcos, effects, lfos, sample players, and more more more.
    Also i don’t see zeeon on your list, that’s an amazing synth.

I wanted to get Zeeon before I got Sunrizer. I am afraid that I will run with Zeeon into the same problem I have with model D and model 15; 60% DSP loading only one AUV instance. And it’s the same situation with Mirack. They state it on the app store that newer devices are recommended.

• @sigma79 said:
    Save ya money.

Or radio unit for sampling. Gauss is good for aum live sessions with radio unit and apps. An fm synth. Someting from sugar bytes. Apparillo. Sb drum ( unless patterning and noir are fine ) Shockwave synth. Or just buy morphit. I just use superlux hd681 evo.

Saving the money is not an option. If I withdraw the 50$ from the bank in my country’s currency they will be worth 20$ at the black market’s exchange rate, and withdrawing it in USD is not an option.

I don’t sample, so I don’t think I need radio unit.
    Isn’t synthmasterone an fm synth? Is phasemaker a good choice?

I guess I’m set for drums, I write my drum tracks in jam maestro and connect it to patterning 2, from there I can record in order to change the velocity. Fractal bits runs great with roseta lfo for glitchy chaos.

I will check Gauss and shockwave again.

superlux hd681 is one of the supported headphones by tb, my earphones aren’t on the list.

• It is worth asking if you tend to play your synth patches dynamically, for want of a better word, e.g. do you just play the sounds or do you use modulation, LFOs etc? If you just play the sounds then you would get extra mileage out of your iPad by sampling your heavier synths rather than playing them directly. I would normally recommend AudioLayer for this but it is not cheap and I do not know if or how well it would run on your iPad.

What sort of guitar sounds were you hoping to make? Power chords, strumming, lead?

• KQ Dixie
    Magellan 2
    Poison 202
    TB Barricade
    Eventide Black Hole
    AudioDamage FilterStation 2
    Bleass Motion FX
    BS-16i
    Atom 2

That should get you started (didn't see any of those on the list).

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:
    It is worth asking if you tend to play your synth patches dynamically, for want of a better word, e.g. do you just play the sounds or do you use modulation, LFOs etc? If you just play the sounds then you would get extra mileage out of your iPad by sampling your heavier synths rather than playing them directly. I would normally recommend AudioLayer for this but it is not cheap and I do not know if or how well it would run on your iPad.

What sort of guitar sounds were you hoping to make? Power chords, strumming, lead?

Audiolayer is on sale and was thinking of buying it. However I discovered that I can also sample in Drambo, tried it and the results were pretty good.

Something that sounds like realstrat but that is also playable with geoshred mpe. Maybe a clean strat or gibson samples are the closest to what I’m looking for. Ifretless bass sound close enough to a bass to me.

• @Samu said:
    KQ Dixie
    Magellan 2
    Poison 202
    TB Barricade
    Eventide Black Hole
    AudioDamage FilterStation 2
    Bleass Motion FX
    BS-16i
    Atom 2

That should get you started (didn't see any of those on the list).

Will look more thoroughly into all those. Thanks! Unfortunately Atom 2 requires IOS 13 which I can’t install on my ipad.

• edited March 2021

Another recommendation for miRack. It's fairly light on CPU depending on patches. And if you can run Drambo, you'll be able to run miRack. The endless possibilities of modular will provide lots of options. In AUM, you can run it as an effect, sound generator, modulation source, midi fx, and more; plus it supports multi-input and outputs for generators and fx. It's my most used app right now

Also recommend KQ Dixie. Full dx7 on your iPad, thousands of patches out there.

Others already mentioned: Sunvox, Blackhole. I'd recommend LK with Matrix IAP purchase for sequencing, though Atom 2 is evolving quickly too.

• @auxmux said:
    Another recommendation for miRack. It's fairly light on CPU depending on patches. And if you can run Drambo, you'll be able to run miRack. The endless possibilities of modular will provide lots of options. In AUM, you can run it as an effect, sound generator, modulation source, midi fx, and more; plus it supports multi-input and outputs for generators and fx. It's my most used app right now

Others already mentioned: Sunvox, Blackhole. I'd recommend LK with Matrix IAP purchase for sequencing, though Atom 2 is evolving quickly too.

That’s great to hear. I will start reading mirack’s manual tomorrow.

What’s the difference between LK’s matrix and atom?

• If you are looking to recreate the sound of a real guitar then as a guitarist I would say that chord and strumming apps produce OK results but trying to emulate solo/lead is disappointing. The problem I find comes with the lack of articulation in the available guitar samples so you cannot play decent legato. Running this through an amp just makes it sound worse. I have the Shreddage samples loaded in to AudioLayer and can get a realistic sounding rhythm but lead is a no-go.

The Roli Noise Flotation/Stadium Rock/Hybrid Acoustic packs have some quite satisfying guitar-like sounds and respond well enough to the touch interface. Also the strng app gives a decent “modelled” sound.

• @Hursoom said:

@auxmux said:

LK Matrix is like Ableton session view for midi sequencing. Atom is an individual clip / midi pattern editor. With LK, you can have lots of clips in one AU and route them to multiple tracks, plus follow actions for clips and scenes for song arrangement.

Though Atom is one clip at a time, it has lots of options for midi editing, and should be CPU light with lots of instances. One preference over other depends on how you want to work.

Both also support Novation Launchpads.

• Damn, sorry for your national situation. This really sounds like a deserted island purchase. Plus for Zeeon (ABF preset download available)
    iSEM, Galileo2 for organs, BASSalicious, LaGrange, ISymphonic for strings. Good luck, I hope things get better!

• Seems like you have most of them. Turnado?

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:
    If you are looking to recreate the sound of a real guitar then as a guitarist I would say that chord and strumming apps produce OK results but trying to emulate solo/lead is disappointing. The problem I find comes with the lack of articulation in the available guitar samples so you cannot play decent legato. Running this through an amp just makes it sound worse. I have the Shreddage samples loaded in to AudioLayer and can get a realistic sounding rhythm but lead is a no-go.

The Roli Noise Flotation/Stadium Rock/Hybrid Acoustic packs have some quite satisfying guitar-like sounds and respond well enough to the touch interface. Also the strng app gives a decent “modelled” sound.

Rhythm has been my problem, the closest I could get to a distorted guitar sound was using the animoog widesaw lead with tone bridge presets. I still haven’t found a realistic clean sounding guitar app that I can use with effects. I have a cort x and a cheap bass that I haven’t used in years as my irig is noisy and my digital pedal is busted. The above limitations are the main reasons I stopped composing for guitar wish led me to explore other music genres, which isn’t a bad thing. I still tend to unconsciously compose for rock instruments and find myself forcing synths to do things that they aren’t meant to do. But my workflow is evolving and I’m really enjoying the music I’m making lately.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Damn, sorry for your national situation. This really sounds like a deserted island purchase. Plus for Zeeon (ABF preset download available)
    iSEM, Galileo2 for organs, BASSalicious, LaGrange, ISymphonic for strings. Good luck, I hope things get better!

Thanks man! Will definitely check these out. Things must eventually get better, and until then I’ll have my dog and my music to make things easier.

• @auxmux said:

@Hursoom said:

@auxmux said:

LK Matrix is like Ableton session view for midi sequencing. Atom is an individual clip / midi pattern editor. With LK, you can have lots of clips in one AU and route them to multiple tracks, plus follow actions for clips and scenes for song arrangement.

Though Atom is one clip at a time, it has lots of options for midi editing, and should be CPU light with lots of instances. One preference over other depends on how you want to work.

Both also support Novation Launchpads.

Thanks for the explanation. Atom seems to fit more my workflow. Can I preview the notes in atom the same way I can in LK? Or Is it similar to fugue machine in that regard?

• If you have experimental tendencies then consider these (file under otherworldliness)...
    Spacecraft
    Elsa (from Humbletune)
    Fieldscaper
    Also Turnado as mentioned by @supadom

• Can’t go wrong with StepPolyArp and iVCS. iSem, ThumbJam and DrumJam. All Air1 DSP proof

• Polyphase is a little fussy (not Auv3) but I love it more every time I use it. If you like generative MIDI stuff it might be worth considering, I've been using atom to capture the patterns I like the most. There's a Gaviniski video with more details..

• @wired2moon @supadom checking Doug’s video on Turnado and fieldscapper. Thanks! as for spacecraft, doesn’t borderlands cover most of it’s uses? Will check Elsa later on.

• @Peanutcram said:
    Can’t go wrong with StepPolyArp and iVCS. iSem, ThumbJam and DrumJam. All Air1 DSP proof

Second Isem recommendation, will check it as soon as I can. It seems everyone on the forum loves thumb and drumjam. I have to admit that I dismissed them before for being old apps. A misconception on my part. Will check them out. If you already have drambo and roseta’s Arpeggio and steppolyarp has just been released would you get it?

• BeBot (No, I'm not kidding).

Sure it's IAA/AB but it still works fine and is a blast to play!

• @Hursoom said:

@Peanutcram said:
    Can’t go wrong with StepPolyArp and iVCS. iSem, ThumbJam and DrumJam. All Air1 DSP proof

Second Isem recommendation, will check it as soon as I can. It seems everyone on the forum loves thumb and drumjam. I have to admit that I dismissed them before for being old apps. A misconception on my part. Will check them out. If you already have drambo and roseta’s Arpeggio and steppolyarp has just been released would you get it?

Maybe a bit nostalgic... but yes! I still enjoy them, unique sounds, fun to play, pretty versatile, cool developer. Hoping for AU 😀. No Drambo here yet.

• AudioStretch

• @Hursoom said:

Is there any realistic sounding guitar app that I can play with geoshred?

Nembrini has a free amp model.

• SunVox is not at all like the modular synths (Ripplemaker and Model 15) that you mentioned. A world unto itself, a toolkit...and AUv3. A must have.

• edited March 2021

Your list looks quite complete @Hursoom.
    The only thing I'd be really missing is TB Equalizer. Not just an EQ but quite a powerful dynamic sound shaper.

• Loopy Masterpiece is coming this year... save money for that. Just to show @micheal some
    props for this forum if nothing else. It promises to be a must have.

Looking at your list and the fact that you have a desktop to mix down nothing comes to mind.

@Lady_App_titude has a habit that makes excellent sense: buy 1 app and make a song with it. After that you may buy another app but not before. Make that money produce $50 in results. Her songs are extremely polished and have a huge investment in time and effort so
    her rule helps insure she uses the apps she buys. Of course, she's got a ton of hardware collected over the years but this app buying rule is brilliant. I on the other hand would rather buy and app and spend an hour trying to figure it out and don't let a new app stop me from
    going back to the store. It's an addiction to little bursts of endorphins that I get from the act of commuting the world of software.

But again... that list. You're one of us and not a @Lady_App_titude. Of course, living in or around NYC has it's own set of constraints for finanicial promiscuity.

SunVox is a puzzle box and worth looking into just because it's like a 1990's Drambo.

I like synths with great presets and a lot of FX built in: Amarillo, Continua, Yonac's stuff.
    Anything @Spidericemidas makes presets for is worth owning.

There are many @brambos apps you don't own and I have never regretted buying his work... with the possible exception of Woot... I don't need Lo-Fi... just not my thing. We are all different so advice is generally untrustworthy and watching YouTube to hear a sound that
    grabs you.

Watch videos for Koala, Flip and Blockswave.

I have never regretted my investments in Korg... not AUv3 but there are a couple: Module Pro, ElecTribe Wave and hopefully many more this year. Save up for that. iWaveStation is
    with 5 of my other synths.

If Jacob Haq makes your jam... follow his lead. If not there's someone that you might aspire
    to learn from and they will tell you what to buy.

Having money beats NOT having money so you'll have budget when the *next big thing" drops. (Loopy Pro, probably).

LK and Atom are both powerful and there's a use case that uses them both using LK to
    trigger Atom Loops. If you only get one... it will define your future. Choose wisely, grasshopper. Watch videos... it's called research. Do it.

Buy a HARDWARE controller. I know... not enough money. SAVE UP. Do NOT hold up a liquor store. Jails have shitty Wi-Fi.