Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Atom | Piano Roll 2 is now available

Comments

• @ghost_forests said:
    Is there any chance of other older controllers being supported down the line? I have a LP Mini 2 and would be interested to know if I need to upgrade (not a huge issue, they’re pretty inexpensive really). Or is that something that someone could with some scripting?

In principle anyone experienced enough with programming can implement support for their controller! I encourage it, but it’s also likely that I’ll need to buy these controllers and do it myself. If anyone is up for a challenge though, I’m very happy to help.

• @auxmux said:

@blueveek said:

@Synthi said:
    Worried.... Any word about LP scripts not working in IOS13??? @blueveek ?

A few missing features in that version of iOS that make things a little messier for me. Everything should be good on iOS 14. But I can work around them, wanna hop on the beta to test? I don’t know anyone with iOS 13 yet.

Still on 13.6 too, so can help test.

DM me.

• Happy to help if needed :)

Mini2 12 latest
    Air3 13 latest
    Air2 14.3 atm

• @blueveek said:

@cian said:
    Is there a way to apply the scale quantization to the piano roll, rather than to incoming notes?

Yes! Open the Pitch tool under Processing in the bottom right. You can even apply scale quantization after recording with varying scale influence. This is especially cool for adding chromaticism to pentatonic scales.

Hmm, I thought I tried that last night and I couldn't hear a difference. I guess I was doing something wrong.

• Is there an setting somewhere to allow Atom2 to scroll thru the track mesnwhile playing - can’t remember what’s it called - following something?

Hard to know now where everything has stopped if you play an imported file containing 100 beats pianomusic, and I stopped it...

• So. i hope that I dont get slammed for this as I have always been a positive supporter of all on here and I dont want to come across like a bi&%$. I am happy to even pay @blueveek 50$ tip for helping a lot of folks here. But I am underwhelmed with this..... maybe too high expectations or me being an idiot and not really understanding what you can really do with it.
    I still can see crap... maybe I am old.
    Apple Pencil wont work.
    If I use my fingers still have to press 3-4 times on something to get it. My iPad Pro is fine.. iOS 14.4. only app this is happening with.
    Wish that you could audition notes on the actual keys.
    Import of midi is not working as I thought... multiple lanes.. or like LK dialogue on which one you want to import.
    Any randomize feature?
    I dont use a controller and it’s difficult to tap in notes... see app responsive to touch.

Thanks for the hard work on this. I am sure I will have my eyes opened.

• What a great thread ...!

I would love an easier way to increase the number of bars in a loop, perhaps by pressing a new bar button, or even better, typing the number?

• edited March 2021

@onerez

Either you are misunderstanding what this app makes possible, or else maybe it's just not the right tool for you.

The things you are criticizing seem pretty minor niggles that I'm very confident Blueveek will get ironed out. MIDI import will be getting further upgrades too.

Also - are you using the 2.0.1 update?

• edited March 2021

Thanks for this amazing app!

My favourite setup so far: Xequence AU Pads to launch and stop Atom 2 clips. Drambo for translating of notes to cc.

• edited March 2021

@tk32 said:
    @onerez

Either you are misunderstanding what this app makes possible, or else maybe it's just not the right tool for you.

The things you are criticizing seem pretty minor niggles that I'm very confident Blueveek will get ironed out. MIDI import will be getting further upgrades too.

Also - are you using the 2.0.1 update?

Yes Tom I am using the update. Sorry you know that I am not a dic&^. I have been up over 24 hours so its just me.....

And Tom I am happy to donate to you for your hard work on the screen shots and the manual. Win gets nothing. 😂😂

• ALBALB
    edited March 2021

One thing that I would like would be some kind of follow actions for the patterns (possibly a bit like StepPolyArp). Or, if that's a no go, some way to automatically choose and trigger those patterns through external midi. Or is this already possible? Watched some of Gavinski's tutorial, but haven't finished it.

• is there a way to duplicate a selection up or down an octave on the piano roll. i see the clone feature but it only clones to the right i think?

• @blueveek said:

@ghost_forests said:
    Is there any chance of other older controllers being supported down the line? I have a LP Mini 2 and would be interested to know if I need to upgrade (not a huge issue, they’re pretty inexpensive really). Or is that something that someone could with some scripting?

In principle anyone experienced enough with programming can implement support for their controller! I encourage it, but it’s also likely that I’ll need to buy these controllers and do it myself. If anyone is up for a challenge though, I’m very happy to help.

I'm just a script-monkey and no programmer but I've had a first look.

Your MK3 mini script is an extended class of your MK3 class.
    If you have the reservations and plan to do it yourself, it may be more sensible you writing the initial MK2 class.

Can I ask is there enough info in Novations' programmers MK2 reference to create a working script?
    https://d2xhy469pqj8rc.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/novation/downloads/10529/launchpad-mk2-programmers-reference-guide-v1-02.pdf

I thought the MK3 controllers were much more midi compliant than the MK2 hence the need for apps like Grid Instrument.

Excuse the dumb questions - script-monkey (guitarist) and not a programmer.

Hardware manufactures should be jumping on this! People are going to buy hardware because of this app.

• @eross said:
    is there a way to duplicate a selection up or down an octave on the piano roll. i see the clone feature but it only clones to the right i think?

1. Select a group of notes and touch "Clipboard" upper right corner.
    2. select "Copy Selected"
    3. a "notes clip" will appear and offer "Paste at Playhead". Use it.
    4. This will create a double instance of the "selected" notes which will still be highlighted
    5. Touch the "selected notes" box and slide them up or down to transpose.
    6. This will also expose the 2nd copy underneath the original set of notes.
  • So having spent the better part of the day with Atom I freaking love it! It's exactly what was missing for me on IOS. I do have an little request though, which @Gavinski also mentioned in his tutorial video. It would be extremely helpful if notes could be moved by degree according to the current scale. When I was modifying portions of a midi file earlier I constantly found myself wishing for that feature.

• @McD said:

@eross said:
    is there a way to duplicate a selection up or down an octave on the piano roll. i see the clone feature but it only clones to the right i think?

1. Select a group of notes and touch "Clipboard" upper right corner.
    2. select "Copy Selected"
    3. a "notes clip" will appear and offer "Paste at Playhead". Use it.
    4. This will create a double instance of the "selected" notes which will still be highlighted
    5. Touch the "selected notes" box and slide them up or down to transpose.
    6. This will also expose the 2nd copy underneath the original set of notes.

thanks so much

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    Is there an setting somewhere to allow Atom2 to scroll thru the track mesnwhile playing - can’t remember what’s it called - following something?

Hard to know now where everything has stopped if you play an imported file containing 100 beats pianomusic, and I stopped it...

I try again...

Looking everywhere for a setting that let me see the playhead all the time in a long midifile - ”follow playhead”...

Is it possible?

• edited March 2021

@ALB said:
    One thing that I would like would be some kind of follow actions for the patterns (possibly a bit like StepPolyArp). Or, if that's a no go, some way to automatically choose and trigger those patterns through external midi. Or is this already possible? Watched some of Gavinski's tutorial, but haven't finished it.

Yup this is something me and the testers have been looking into for months. I really want to build a full-on state machine with those patterns, but it's a lot of work. Feature is sitting on our board though, it won't get lost!

@aleyas said:
    So having spent the better part of the day with Atom I freaking love it! It's exactly what was missing for me on IOS. I do have an little request though, which @Gavinski also mentioned in his tutorial video. It would be extremely helpful if notes could be moved by degree according to the current scale. When I was modifying portions of a midi file earlier I constantly found myself wishing for that feature.

Noted!

@ErrkaPetti said:

@ErrkaPetti said:
    Is there an setting somewhere to allow Atom2 to scroll thru the track mesnwhile playing - can’t remember what’s it called - following something?

I try again...

Looking everywhere for a setting that let me see the playhead all the time in a long midifile - ”follow playhead”...

Is it possible?

Follow playhead is not implemented yet. Feature request logged, thanks!

• @Svetlovska said:
    @Intrepolicious said: “ I don’t get this “custom scale” thing. How about just don’t use any of those pre-defined scales? A chromatic keyboard looks like custom scales to me.”

If I was a musician, I’d probably agree with you. But I’m not, so I positively need the training wheels a fixed scale gives me. I like plugging in scales and notes I come across here and there serendipitously, but if I want serendipity to strike twice, since I won’t have understood what I did in the first place, locking in the serendipity to a custom scale lets me work with it again. Yeah, I should just ‘git gud’ but, eh, what can I tell you... :)

No, I get it, I totally understand the “why “ we have the defined scales, and I understand what they’re useful for. I was just saying I didn’t get why everyone was asking for a “custom scale”, when there’s a full chromatic keyboard right there in front of them. No, there’s no keyboard skills or piano chops required, one can simply input the notes one at a time, or by step input even.

• @mrgum6y said:

@blueveek said:

@ghost_forests said:

I'm just a script-monkey and no programmer but I've had a first look.

Your MK3 mini script is an extended class of your MK3 class.
    If you have the reservations and plan to do it yourself, it may be more sensible you writing the initial MK2 class.

Can I ask is there enough info in Novations' programmers MK2 reference to create a working script?
    https://d2xhy469pqj8rc.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/novation/downloads/10529/launchpad-mk2-programmers-reference-guide-v1-02.pdf

I thought the MK3 controllers were much more midi compliant than the MK2 hence the need for apps like Grid Instrument.

Excuse the dumb questions - script-monkey (guitarist) and not a programmer.

Hardware manufactures should be jumping on this! People are going to buy hardware because of this app.

Your reading of the scripts is spot-on, that's exactly how things work. I'll only add the fact that the "MK3" and "MK3 mini" classes are not fundamental to anything: they're just code, that doesn't need to be used for other controllers. Certainly though they can serve as inspiration. The readme file explains all the functions exposed by Atom, and all the means by which to communicate with Atom: https://github.com/victorporof/atom

That piece of documentation on the MK2 is a great start! I think there's definitely enough information there to get things going. Let me know if you want to work together on that, if not, I'll at least put out a controller template without much code in it. The existing scripts for the Mk3 Launchpads are fairly long and maybe a lot to take in.

• Here’s a thought I just had; just create a custom scale and save it as a pattern?

• edited March 2021

@Intrepolicious said:
    Here’s a thought I just had; just create a custom scale and save it as a pattern?

That's a nice hack! And if you use long notes that extend at least a bar or so, then you can use it in "Layers" as an x-ray lane. Setting "layer repeats" to some large value will repeat the layer so it'll be underneath all your bars. DIY custom scales!

(that being said: I do acknowledge that hacks isn't want most people want)

• @tk32 said:
    @gregsmith here’s a reminder of my demo vid that showed one Atom being used to trigger all the others - therefore acting as a pattern sequencer.

There is no special tricks involved, but for convenience I have all my player Atoms set to Hold mode so that the patterns only play while the sequencer notes are sustained (and then un-launch afterwards).

Fantastic video, any chance of you doing a VoiceOver tutorial showing how you do this? Thanks!!

• @blueveek : Fantastic work! I haven’t really found an issue yet and have to say that it looks and feels gorgeous!

One small thing I wanted to ask ... in the previews in the beginning there was always this „Mutate“ button. Any chance that this could make it back in?

• In my opinion, custom scales are more useful for re-quantizing notes, rather than just as guides. Adding ability to make custom scales (if the ui is well thought out) opens the possibility of performatively re-quantizing notes during live jamming. sometimes I like to use really small scales of just 3-4 notes, for example, and then open things up more as the jam progresses. I do this a lot with modular synths. I don't know that I NEED to use to atom this way though, but I can see why some people would be interested in that.

• @TTBeNnI said:
    Thanks for this amazing app!

My favourite setup so far: Xequence AU Pads to launch and stop Atom 2 clips. Drambo for translating of notes to cc.

I would LOVEEEE to see a video/explanation of how you are using AU pads to launch and stop clips ... :)

• In other news, Atom 2 came out just in time for my 4 day mini- vacation. The GF asked if we were going to do anything to which I replied “ I don’t know honey, maybe we’ll just stay home, chill, and catch up on some R&R :D

Then, I’m checking my bank account this morning and see that my stimulus money has also arrived (again.. just in time!)

AND SO, since March 15th was my 38 year anniversary at work, I decided to treat myself.... today, I shall go purchase the Launchpad Pro MK3. I think this is what I want... for the last few years or so, I’ve had my eyes on, and have been GASing over a Synthstrom Deluge (which is also an amazing device!), but with a few apps like Atom 2, AUM and Drambo, paired with the Launchpad Pro Mk3, I think I’ll have all of the capabilities, all the pretty lights, and better, bigger velocity sensitive pads.

I know the Deluge is more of a standalone unit with its own built in Synth engines and all, and it does a few things that make it unique, but,, the Deluge is $1000 USD which is a little more than I want to spend right now. I’ve also thought about the Elektron boxes (Digitakt and Digitone mainly) and other sequencers like the Squarp Pyramid, and other groovebox type standalone units like the Akai family of MPCs (Force, One, etc) all are a lot more money than I’m willing to shell out.

The LPPMK3 though, is right at that perfect price point for me! This, combined with the iPad Pro and the amazingly capable ATOM 2 will give me everything I need... I think.... for now......

• @Intrepolicious said:
    In other news, Atom 2 came out just in time for my 4 day mini- vacation. The GF asked if we were going to do anything to which I replied “ I don’t know honey, maybe we’ll just stay home, chill, and catch up on some R&R :D

Then, I’m checking my bank account this morning and see that my stimulus money has also arrived (again.. just in time!)

AND SO, since March 15th was my 38 year anniversary at work, I decided to treat myself.... today, I shall go purchase the Launchpad Pro MK3. I think this is what I want... for the last few years or so, I’ve had my eyes on, and have been GASing over a Synthstrom Deluge (which is also an amazing device!), but with a few apps like Atom 2, AUM and Drambo, paired with the Launchpad Pro Mk3, I think I’ll have all of the capabilities, all the pretty lights, and better, bigger velocity sensitive pads.

I know the Deluge is more of a standalone unit with its own built in Synth engines and all, and it does a few things that make it unique, but,, the Deluge is $1000 USD which is a little more than I want to spend right now. I’ve also thought about the Elektron boxes (Digitakt and Digitone mainly) and other sequencers like the Squarp Pyramid, and other groovebox type standalone units like the Akai family of MPCs (Force, One, etc) all are a lot more money than I’m willing to shell out.

The LPPMK3 though, is right at that perfect price point for me! This, combined with the iPad Pro and the amazingly capable ATOM 2 will give me everything I need... I think.... for now......

Awesome thinking!

• (please don't forget to leave an honest review on the App Store :smiley:)

• @Intrepolicious said:
    In other news, Atom 2 came out just in time for my 4 day mini- vacation. The GF asked if we were going to do anything to which I replied “ I don’t know honey, maybe we’ll just stay home, chill, and catch up on some R&R :D

Sweet! Enjoy! 👌