Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Atom | Piano Roll 2 is now available

Comments

• @w_iro said:
    Is it possible to record, for example, an x bar midi loop, and then the recording turns off? Something like fixed length recording in Ableton

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're talking about, but you can have Atom stop recording after one cycle of the pattern. You can see this comment by @tk32 for more details and video demonstration.
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/923026/#Comment_923026

• edited March 2021

When I connect my Launchpad Pro mk3 via AUM and a synth then Atom 2 causes the synth to make a high pitched sound after an initial note/key press. 2018 iPad Pro, 14.4.

In AUM if I connect the LPP to a synth on the same channel as Atom then there's no problem. AUM > Bluetooth > LPP > Atom > Atom > synth = high pitched noise.

• edited March 2021

@ashh said:
    When I connect my Launchpad Pro mk3 via AUM and a synth then Atom 2 causes the synth to make a high pitched sound after an initial note/key press. 2018 iPad Pro, 14.4.

Are you routing the Launchpad’s DAW output into an Atom instance? Don’t do that, Novation didn’t intend that port to be used publicly :) In fact, no routing is needed for the usual workflows, see my first post on this thread for more info.

• edited March 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @tk32 @aleyas thanks for help, that was what I thought about.

• @RajahP @Gavinski @blueveek : “Yep.. Custom scales will be nice, as @Gavinski stated... “

Yes please!

Can I +1 user custom scales for a future update? Also, a version of Ableton’s ‘scale fold’ functionality would help, so that having selected a scale, you can choose to literally not be able to place a wrong note if you ‘fold’ the clip to the scale?

• >

It looks like MTS expects to start recording immediately from the plugin. I have not tested yet but other DAWs may have a similar issue when doing a manual record.

Cubasis 3 has similar behavior. It starts to playback of connected plug-Ins before count-in has finished...
    ...the solution in Cubasis is to temporarily disable count-in.

• So I’m noticing that when you import a new midi file, that the time signature, tempo grid and quantization settings all get reset to default.
    I’ve got a few files I’m working on in 6/8. What I did is import one file to an instance of Atom, then after I adjusted all the settings, I duplicated that instance (to preserve the time sig) and imported the new file. Turns out that defaulted everything back to 4/4, etc.

Just thought I’d bring this up in case you think this behavior could or should be optimized.
    Cheers! 🍻

• @aleyas said:
    So I’m noticing that when you import a new midi file, that the time signature, tempo grid and quantization settings all get reset to default.
    I’ve got a few files I’m working on in 6/8. What I did is import one file to an instance of Atom, then after I adjusted all the settings, I duplicated that instance (to preserve the time sig) and imported the new file. Turns out that defaulted everything back to 4/4, etc.

Just thought I’d bring this up in case you think this behavior could or should be optimized.
    Cheers! 🍻

How about if it was imported in the Pattern menu instead, without clearing the current clip? Would that suit your workflow?

• edited March 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Intrepolicious said: “ I don’t get this “custom scale” thing. How about just don’t use any of those pre-defined scales? A chromatic keyboard looks like custom scales to me.”

If I was a musician, I’d probably agree with you. But I’m not, so I positively need the training wheels a fixed scale gives me. I like plugging in scales and notes I come across here and there serendipitously, but if I want serendipity to strike twice, since I won’t have understood what I did in the first place, locking in the serendipity to a custom scale lets me work with it again. Yeah, I should just ‘git gud’ but, eh, what can I tell you... :)

• One thing I still don't understand and I apologize if it has already been mentioned here. Can I record a clip without setting the bar length and bpm in advance like on Ableton?
    Thanks

• @blueveek said:

@aleyas said:
    So I’m noticing that when you import a new midi file, that the time signature, tempo grid and quantization settings all get reset to default.

Cheers! 🍻

How about if it was imported in the Pattern menu instead, without clearing the current clip? Would that suit your workflow?

I don’t think any changes will be necessary. I was just using one instance as a ‘template’ for the new files (and instances) I was importing, but it’s quick enough to just adjust those settings once the file is loaded. :)

• @winconway said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    That Chaos mode in the Velocity section looks quite useful. Does it randomize the velocities just once or every time through the sequence? (I haven't been able to play with the app during work hours but caught a bit of Gavinski's video during my lunch break.)

It works on selected notes and is non destructive until you press bake.

@orand said:
    Is there a manual that I can check out somewhere?

It is being worked on, early release and all that ;)

Please give us a heads up when the manual’s ready………

• @winconway said:

@aleyas said:

Cheers! 🍻

You can pass the data between PR2s without saving to MIDI files FYI, you can use layers or snippets in the clipboard.
    Will test the time sig issue, thanks :)

Ahh, these were old files in my library, so they weren’t made in Atom new. So I was just importing 1 file per instance. I know it’d be easier to copy clips and stuff to the pasteboard and across instances, but that’s another scenario.

• Does Atom 2 have a clip launching view in the sense of LK/Live/ZenBeats? I didn’t spot in what I think was the relevant section of @Gavinski’s video but didn’t have time to watch through.

• edited March 2021

@Tatobx said:
    One thing I still don't understand and I apologize if it has already been mentioned here. Can I record a clip without setting the bar length and bpm in advance like on Ableton?
    Thanks

Not yet. Auto-deducing the number of bars should be possible to implement and I've logged it as a feature request. But without you first setting the tempo, it would be impossible: there's no way for AUs to control the host tempo.

@MadGav said:
    Does Atom 2 have a clip launching view in the sense of LK/Live/ZenBeats? I didn’t spot in what I think was the relevant section of @Gavinski’s video but didn’t have time to watch through.

Intentionally no. If you're using AUM, then AUM is itself your session view. Check out my first post on this thread. That being said, I'm not completely opposed to the idea of having an "orchestrator view" or even a way to instantiate clips in a single view, to make this easier in other hosts.

• @blueveek said:

@vasilymilovidov said:
    Are there any plans to implement per note probability?

Yes, in the full automation update.

Fantastic!

• @blueveek Atom 2 is fantastic. The pattern selector alone is glorious. Is there a way to set it to change patterns at the end of a bar instead of immediately? Also, I'm rocking a 2018 iPad base model and 3 instances of Atom 2 are taking a pretty heavy toll on my CPU. I replaced 3 instances of Atom 1 in a project that was running smoothly. Is that due to all the animations or is Atom 2 really that much more intensive than 1?

• edited March 2021

@tk32 said:

@w_iro said:
    Is it possible to record, for example, an x bar midi loop, and then the recording turns off? Something like fixed length recording in Ableton

• Set Atom's loop markers to x bars
    • Open the advanced launch settings (long-press Launch) and tick the box that says stop at clip end.
    • Arm record and make sure the clip is primed to launch
    • When you hit play in your host Atom will record for x bars and then stop.
    • Once you are done recording just remember to untick stop at clip end so that it resumes normal looping.

Thanks.. so many hidden features..

Edit will like more on the clip editing features... and the Quantize to key/scale.. thanks..

• @Svetlovska said:
    @RajahP @Gavinski @blueveek : “Yep.. Custom scales will be nice, as @Gavinski stated... “

Yes please!

Can I +1 user custom scales for a future update? Also, a version of Ableton’s ‘scale fold’ functionality would help, so that having selected a scale, you can choose to literally not be able to place a wrong note if you ‘fold’ the clip to the scale?

+1 for fold..

• @slicetwo said:
    @blueveek Atom 2 is fantastic. The pattern selector alone is glorious. Is there a way to set it to change patterns at the end of a bar instead of immediately? Also, I'm rocking a 2018 iPad base model and 3 instances of Atom 2 are taking a pretty heavy toll on my CPU. I replaced 3 instances of Atom 1 in a project that was running smoothly. Is that due to all the animations or is Atom 2 really that much more intensive than 1?

This sounds very unusual. Atom2 is extremely well optimised, and in our tests we were able to get 64+ instances running on an iPad Air2 with still minimal CPU use (approx 10-15% from my memory). Note - having the Atom UI visible increases resource use compared to having them closed.

• @blueveek said:

@Tatobx said:
    One thing I still don't understand and I apologize if it has already been mentioned here. Can I record a clip without setting the bar length and bpm in advance like on Ableton?
    Thanks

Not yet. Auto-deducing the number of bars should be possible to implement and I've logged it as a feature request. But without you first setting the tempo, it would be impossible: there's no way for AUs to control the host tempo.

Thanks for the reply, I will wait for the new feature.

• @tk32 said:

@slicetwo said:
    @blueveek Atom 2 is fantastic. The pattern selector alone is glorious. Is there a way to set it to change patterns at the end of a bar instead of immediately? Also, I'm rocking a 2018 iPad base model and 3 instances of Atom 2 are taking a pretty heavy toll on my CPU. I replaced 3 instances of Atom 1 in a project that was running smoothly. Is that due to all the animations or is Atom 2 really that much more intensive than 1?

This sounds very unusual. Atom2 is extremely well optimised, and in our tests we were able to get 64+ instances running on an iPad Air2 with still minimal CPU use (approx 10-15% from my memory). Note - having the Atom UI visible increases resource use compared to having them closed.

I'll have to test it out more. I did have it open so I could edit and pattern change while running the sequence. I'll restart my iPad and see if that makes a difference. I did restart it after I installed it as AUM didn't see it, but I'll try again.

• Worried.... Any word about LP scripts not working in IOS13??? @blueveek ?

• edited March 2021

@Synthi said:
    Worried.... Any word about LP scripts not working in IOS13??? @blueveek ?

A few missing features in that version of iOS that make things a little messier for me. Everything should be good on iOS 14. But I can work around them, wanna hop on the beta to test? I don’t know anyone with iOS 13 yet.

• Is there a way to apply the scale quantization to the piano roll, rather than to incoming notes?

Also, while I appreciate the ability to invert and increase/descrease note pitch notes by 1 note/an octave. It would be really cool if inversion, etc also could be applied with respect to the current scale. That's something that can really improve workflow.

Cool app...

• edited March 2021

@cian said:
    Is there a way to apply the scale quantization to the piano roll, rather than to incoming notes?

Yes! Open the Pitch tool under Processing in the bottom right. You can even apply scale quantization after recording with varying amounts of scale influence. This is especially cool for adding chromaticism to pentatonic scales.

• @blueveek said:

@Synthi said:
    Worried.... Any word about LP scripts not working in IOS13??? @blueveek ?

A few missing features in that version of iOS that make things a little messier for me. Everything should be good on iOS 14. But I can work around them, wanna hop on the beta to test? I don’t know anyone with iOS 13 yet.

Still on 13.6 too, so can help test.

• Is there any chance of other older controllers being supported down the line? I have a LP Mini 2 and would be interested to know if I need to upgrade (not a huge issue, they’re pretty inexpensive really). Or is that something that someone could with some scripting?