Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Atom | Piano Roll 2 is now available

Comments

• @Intrepolicious said:

@reasOne said:
    In a clip if you have several patterns, 1,2,3 for example, will atom automatically play thru the patterns in order or do you have to manually select the pattern you want to play next?
    And if it can, can you have it repeat a pattern X amount of times before auto advancing to the next?

Man, there’s options for all of that and so. Much. More...

@winconway said:

@reasOne said:
    In a clip if you have several patterns, 1,2,3 for example, will atom automatically play thru the patterns in order or do you have to manually select the pattern you want to play next?
    And if it can, can you have it repeat a pattern X amount of times before auto advancing to the next?

No, right now it is one pattern per clip, a piano roll instance is a clip.
    If you create pattens you wish to string together, you can either snippet them in the clipboard and just make one long pattern, or simply load them in to extra clips for triggering separately.

These are conflicting answers 😜 maybe i didn’t explain what i was saying clearly.
    Sorry just trying to figure it out, i haven’t got it yet as i haven’t been by my iPad

• edited March 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • McDMcD
    edited March 2021

10 Atom 2 instances playing 10 16 bar MIDI files (generated without edits by Piano Motifs) at BPM 250.

The CPU with 4 synth app targets was at 30%. Auditioning and assigning MIDI loops is easy. I did a little on/off button pushing during the recording for some LIVE variety:

• edited March 2021

@wim said:

@winconway said:

@eroxxx said:
    I asked this earlier, but this thread is so (deservedly) popular!

Can you do ratcheting with this??

Am I right that ratcheting is triggering the same note multiple times at very small intervals to get a kind of multi triggered delay effect?

If so I just did it by mistake when recording one of the tutorial videos, yes you can do that, and it has extreme controllability too, you create a clip for each ratchet as it were, and each one can be delay or pre delayed from 1ms to 10 seconds.
    Takes seconds to set up using the clipboard.

I have done a quick video here to show it, i used global transpose per ratchet and then on the third ratchet added some velocity chaos too.
    Hopefully this is ratcheting anyway haha.

Cool technique, but not really what I think of as ratcheting, which is taking an individual note and dividing it to trigger any number of times (including odd number divisions). Ideally it shouldn't require additional instances or patterns.

StepPolyArp has a really good implementation of this feature. You can even set it so that the ratcheted repeats decrease or increase in velocity.

This would be a cool feature to add for somewhere down the road, perhaps as part of automation.
    Or perhaps it could be an option in the Process popup menu when one more notes are selected.

I agree. But in the meantime isn’t another way to get ratcheting to change the grid size then add repeats? So select grid size 64, then Septolet for the shortest ratchets or whatever sounds best, then add using Repeat. You can then change the grid size back to carry on with your track.

• fwiw if you're a laggard like me the Launchpad scripts dont seem to work on iPadOS 13. Upgrading to 14.4.1 everything is sweet. (probably I'm the only one still on 13.... until today!!)

• @soundtemple said:
    fwiw if you're a laggard like me the Launchpad scripts dont seem to work on iPadOS 13. Upgrading to 14.4.1 everything is sweet. (probably I'm the only one still on 13.... until today!!)

Same, I'm holding off updating my main iPad to 14. Launchpad X is working on 14.4 but not 13.6. @blueveek

• Wow. What an excellent release. Setting up clips works great. Only thing I’ve noticed so far is that it bottoms out at C-1. In order to change patterns in Drum Computer Atom would need to go down to C-2. Maybe I’m missing something. I’m sure you guys will let me know if so. I know there are work around if I want to pipe through some other stuff. Would just be cool if I didn’t have to.

• @Shiloh said:
    Wow. What an excellent release. Setting up clips works great. Only thing I’ve noticed so far is that it bottoms out at C-1. In order to change patterns in Drum Computer Atom would need to go down to C-2. Maybe I’m missing something. I’m sure you guys will let me know if so. I know there are work around if I want to pipe through some other stuff. Would just be cool if I didn’t have to.

It's probably just differences in octave notation between the two apps. Most likely C-1 is midi note zero in Atom and C-2 is midi note zero (the same note) in whatever hardware or app you're sending from.

There's no standard for which octave MIDI apps and hardware start counting from. It's just a thing you have to get used to with MIDI.

• @Shiloh said:
    Wow. What an excellent release. Setting up clips works great. Only thing I’ve noticed so far is that it bottoms out at C-1. In order to change patterns in Drum Computer Atom would need to go down to C-2. Maybe I’m missing something. I’m sure you guys will let me know if so. I know there are work around if I want to pipe through some other stuff. Would just be cool if I didn’t have to.

I just noticed this as well. Yeah it needs to go down to -2.

• @Intrepolicious said:

@Shiloh said:

Are you sure that it doesn't call midi note 0 C-1

• Just left a review

• @audiblevideo said:
    Just left a review

Good reminder! Thanks :)

• edited March 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Regarding that review, Atom 2 is actually having issues in Drambo at the moment. I’m sure we’ll see a fix soon.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@Shiloh said:

Hmm I’m not sure, taking a look.

• wimwim
    edited March 2021

@espiegel123 said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@Shiloh said:

Confirmed. C-1 in Atom 2 (and AUM too) is MIDI note zero, the lowest MIDI note possible.

This corresponds to C-2 in Drum Computer. Drum Computer simply uses a different octave naming scheme.

• @wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@Shiloh said:

Confirmed. C-1 in Atom 2 (and AUM too) is note zero, the lowest midi note possible.

This corresponds to C-2 in Drum Computer. Drum Computer simply uses a different octave naming scheme.

Thanks. Now I remember reading about this difference in some apps.

• @wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@Shiloh said:

Confirmed. C-1 in Atom 2 (and AUM too) is MIDI note zero, the lowest MIDI note possible.

Right after I typed that I remembered that was probably the case. Wim to the rescue. Thanks for the response.

• just gave it a spin with the launchpad mini...everything so smooth ( great integration) so nice the pads follow the color i set inside Atom2

• edited March 2021

@RajahP said:

@Strizbiz said:

@RajahP said:

@Strizbiz said:

@blueveek said:

@onerez said:
    OK I watched Gavin’s video.... where the heck is the sausage fingers at???

Thanks @blueveek for great app!!!!

See my first post in this thread. Here’s a list of changes and improvements coming in 2.0.1 in a day or two:

• Support for the Launchpad Pro Mk3 controller.
    • A "Sausage Fingers" mode, for people who want bigger UI elements.
    • A "Roboto" font based theme, for people who want larger and more legible text.
    • New pattern controls: "Add Default", "Add Empty", "Add duplicate", "Reset Pattern", "Delete Notes".
    • Help messages using non-destructive processing operations.
    • Better track cloning support in AUM, cloned tracks now also show up in Layers.
    • Better iCloud support, also preventing a crash when iCloud is disabled.
    • Support for simultaneous touch and mouse input. Using both touch and mouse input together will cause instability in 2.0, update to 2.0.1 when it hits to avoid any issues!

Yes on larger font size, I’m enjoying it but it’s really a struggle for me trying to see what’s going on lol. Also I know how to change colors for the tracks, but how do we change the over all setting from light to dark mode like in the pics I see on the App Store or is that even possible? I’m definitely going to have to watch a video to see how a lot of thing work

Go to iPad settings >Display & Brightness, switch to ‘Dark’..

Oh ok, thanks, I know how to change the iPad to dark mode, I thought you could just change the color theme of the app itself

Seems it's the only way to do it (right now).

@blueveek Yes it would be good if Atom 2 overall theme would change independently of Apple light or dark mode. I prefer to leave my iPad in Light Mode however I find the Atom PianoRoll is best viewed in Dark mode but I can’t set that and just leave it that way at present.

Hope it gets changed in the future.

Also the Sausage fingers and Roboto modes are very welcome however any chance we can have these modes with a global check box setting on and off as at present each AU instance of Atom 2 I open works independently. It would be nice to have both choices. As personally every instance of Atom 2 I open I would sausage fingers and the Roboto larger font size set all the time.

• Cant load it in AUM....its not in my plugin list

• Hi! Could someone please tell me what sort of control do we have over velocity?

• @Lycaan said:
    Cant load it in AUM....its not in my plugin list

@Lycaan hard Reboot u iPad worked for me.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@Lycaan said:

@Lycaan hard Reboot u iPad worked for me.

Same here thanks. Now it works!

• @Lycaan said:

You are trying to load as MIDI, correct?

Have you rebooted? This is sometimes necessary after installing a new plugin.

• To anyone who hasn’t watched it yet, I would highly recommend watching the walkthrough video by @Gavinski

He covers a lot of what’s being asked in this thread (including my question a few pages back!)

Thanks for the reminder to leave a review @audiblevideo

• Is it possible to record, for example, an x bar midi loop, and then the recording turns off? Something like fixed length recording in Ableton

• Congrats @blueveek on this release. I really admire anyone who can bring a project of this size to fruition. Not just because of this app but also because it is another chapter in Atom's life story. It's also part of the story of mobile music making. I hope you can see a rest stop ahead. 😊

• I do not know if other DAWs have a similar feature but MTS has an option which lets you "bake in" MIDI FX to a track without the need to actually play or record them:

I noticed that this would miss the first bar of music though. Based on what was said a little earlier on, I just tried reducing the trigger beat to zero and this fixed the problem:

It looks like MTS expects to start recording immediately from the plugin. I have not tested yet but other DAWs may have a similar issue when doing a manual record.

• edited March 2021

@w_iro said:
    Is it possible to record, for example, an x bar midi loop, and then the recording turns off? Something like fixed length recording in Ableton

• Set Atom's loop markers to x bars
    • Open the advanced launch settings (long-press Launch) and tick the box that says stop at clip end.
    • Arm record and make sure the clip is primed to launch
    • When you hit play in your host Atom will record for x bars and then stop.
    • Once you are done recording just remember to untick stop at clip end so that it resumes normal looping.