Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Logic pro coming with new ipads?

Wondering if m1 ipad pro if announced this month might also come with a Logic announcement. Thinking they got to start providing some pro grade software if they keep charging nearly as much for ipad as a mac and the chip is on a par.

Comments

• That would definitely make total sense.

So Apple will most likely eliminate something critical instead...

• I don’t know if it will be Logic Pro, but it might be “Logic iOS” or “Logic iPad”... in other words, a special version made for iPad only.

• Big question is if Apple will fragment the iPad eco system into “pro” and “regular” devices. They’ve never done that, but there’s been talk of Logic coming to only the iPad Pros.

• edited March 2021

Heard this rumor for years now...I’m sure it will come some day in some stripped down version (which is to say they will just overhaul GarageBand, Logic’s architecture is far too old to bring to something like an iPad) but I’m taking any and all rumors with a huge grain of salt given they have all been wrong up to this point.

• I've never used Logic and it's been a while since I used a desktop DAW.

If it did come to iOS, what would it bring that isn't here already? Are there specific features? Is it more that we would have something approaching a 'real DAW' with a traditional workflow? Do we think it would encourage more development on the platform?

This is an honest question. I am not saying that it wouldn't be a good thing, I'm just interested in how much of the game it would change.

• Just give me Final Cut Pro on iPad

• I honestly don't see any point in bringing logic in its current form to ios.

• as long as this means better files and audio units management on iOS that would be nice.
    in case its a stripped down version, i hope the interface is similar to logic and not what Garageband on iOS looks like

• if it’s true I hope I can mirror it on my iMac and use my keyboard and mouse with it.

• There are new iPads? 🙃

• @nickneek said:
    I've never used Logic and it's been a while since I used a desktop DAW.

If it did come to iOS, what would it bring that isn't here already? Are there specific features? Is it more that we would have something approaching a 'real DAW' with a traditional workflow? Do we think it would encourage more development on the platform?

This is an honest question. I am not saying that it wouldn't be a good thing, I'm just interested in how much of the game it would change.

Depends on how “stripped” down the version is. There’s dozens of things that would make a huge difference. Currently there’s daws in iOS that can do one thing really well but not another, and some other things that are just missing.
    For example:

• BM3 has the best sampler, Logic’s is on par.
    • Auria has transient detection and is the only audio-editing capable DAW. If they ported 50% of what’s available in Logic for audio it’d be better.
    • Stock plugins for just about everything (audio and midi)
    • Sidechaining, busing. Aux, routing... (again Auria is the most capable in this aspect)
    • Extensive arranging, cross fades, automation...
    • Comping takes
      The list really goes on forever. It all depends on what they port over. Cubasis is nothing like Cubase, but if they were going to do that they’d call it GarageBand, so I expect Logic iOS to be significantly powerful and that would be a true game changer for iOS daws.
      iOS DAWs right now are pretty limited, I guess it’s due to the fact that iOS music isn’t not a very juicy market.
  • edited March 2021

Logic Pro X costs $199 . And it has ~ 100 Gb (with all samples and expansions) on my Mac. So I'm not sure that someone really need this one on iOS.

• @Kranick said:
    Logic Pro X costs $199 . And it has ~ 100 Gb (with all samples and expansions) on my Mac. So I'm not sure that someone really need this one on iOS.

I don’t use my desktop for music, I’m sitting in front of it all day for work. That’s why I switched to iOS.
    So I do need this, or whatever alternative that can live up to the “pro” adjective.

• @supadom said:
    if it’s true I hope I can mirror it on my iMac and use my keyboard and mouse with it.

I hope Logic Pro X comes to the Apple Watch, which I could control from my MacBook Pro, and use the iPad Pro Logic remote to control the MacBook Pro.

• @u0421793 said:

@supadom said:
    if it’s true I hope I can mirror it on my iMac and use my keyboard and mouse with it.

I hope Logic Pro X comes to the Apple Watch, which I could control from my MacBook Pro, and use the iPad Pro Logic remote to control the MacBook Pro.

“Siri, do a crossfade”

• @tahiche said:

@u0421793 said:

@supadom said:

“Siri, do a crossfade”

• @tahiche said:

@Kranick said:

I don’t use my desktop for music, I’m sitting in front of it all day for work. That’s why I switched to iOS.
    So I do need this, or whatever alternative that can live up to the “pro” adjective.

I use Logic Pro X on my iMac and Auria on iPad. Sometimes I start the project within GarageBand on iPad and send it to Mac to finish it on the desktop. And I don't have any restriction of limits making all track with Auria.

Auria (and a lot of other smilar apps you have already own) is a powerfull app that allow you to make almost everything with your audio and midi. I have spent a lot of time mastering this application and can assure you that this is indeed the case. So I'm not sure if someone really needs to have another app to make music on iPad.

Its better to know your gear well, than to have great gear! :smile:

• I don’t think there will Logic for IOS , because GArageBand is sort of an LE version of logic with stripped down features... so all depends which features apple wants to unlock or add

• @Kranick said:

@tahiche said:

@Kranick said:

I use Logic Pro X on my iMac and Auria on iPad. Sometimes I start the project within GarageBand on iPad and send it to Mac to finish it on the desktop. And I don't have any restriction of limits making all track with Auria.

Auria (and a lot of other smilar apps you have already own) is a powerfull app that allow you to make almost everything with your audio and midi. I have spent a lot of time mastering this application and can assure you that this is indeed the case. So I'm not sure if someone really needs to have another app to make music on iPad.

I have used Auria for years and love it but it has become increasingly unstable for my workflow and I am worried they are not making enough income to warrant the amount of development work needed to keep it stable. I think a benefit of a logic on ipad would be the fairly strong guarantee of long term development

• edited March 2021

Whatever it will be called, Apple would definitely benefit if there would be a host that can be used as a reference (it could help devs and users).

• @MobileMusic said:
    Just give me Final Cut Pro on iPad

But, what’s missing most for you to use Lumafusion on iPad instead of using FCP on Mac?

• If it does come to iPad it’s bound to make Ableton and Bitwig look at how it impacts the main DAW market.

• edited March 2021

@RedSkyLullaby said:

@Kranick said:

@tahiche said:

@Kranick said:

I have used Auria for years and love it but it has become increasingly unstable for my workflow and I am worried they are not making enough income to warrant the amount of development work needed to keep it stable. I think a benefit of a logic on ipad would be the fairly strong guarantee of long term development

@Kranick I agree and I love Auria Pro, it fulfills all of my needs because I took almost a year to learn how to use it. Cubasis is a non-starter for me because it doesn’t even offer tempo track change. Auria is probably my favorite and most used app for mixing and production, though I often sketch in GarageBand.

That being said, the biggest issue with apps like Auria vs desktop Daws is stability. Last year there was a long time when Auria Pro wouldn’t even recognize my newer usbc audio interfaces, and the update fix took quite a while. I had to resort to using other Daws for months. Every iOS update brings with it improvements and derailments, and crashes. This is my fear regarding a long term investment in apps that aren’t regularly updated. I realize that many people don’t take the time to learn an app and just assume it’s crashy, but that’s only partially true, as many apps go through periods of extreme instability regardless of the user. It’s hard to trust. But I don’t have a mac and don’t want to even bother with the pc hurdle, so it’s all iOS for me.

I really doubt a full featured Logic will come to iOS, perhaps a lighter version, but then what’s the point? I would actually be happy if they came out with GarageBand Pro instead, or if another developer like PreSonus or Ableton or even Harrison noticed the opportunity and need for a real major DAW. Perhaps everyone is in a holding pattern to see what Apple will do for mobile music production, but there’s also little incentive to develop for iOS because it’s not lucrative.

• I'd prefer to see GarageBand evolve a little more on the iPad. Better automation and a better mixer, to start.

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@MobileMusic said:
    Just give me Final Cut Pro on iPad

But, what’s missing most for you to use Lumafusion on iPad instead of using FCP on Mac?

Using LF only on iPad but it is limited to only 6 tracks currently.

• @RedSkyLullaby

100% agreed. Auria is superb but crashes frequently and the interface looks outdated. It’s a shame that there’s not enough business on iOS music. It’s also quite unfair that these devs can’t even make a living while Apple keeps 30% of their earnings.
    Do I want Logic on the iPad?. No, I don’t care. I want a proper workflow. Serious audio editing and mixing capabilities. I’d rather have a very capable NS2 , Zenbeats, BM3, mobileDaw or whatever already exists and have contributed so far. Would it be fair if Apple puts Intua out of business with a sparkling Logic after they’ve contributed enormously to iOS music and giving Apple profits in app sales and sold iPads?. No, it wouldn’t.
    If it was up to me, I’d go the AUM/modular route. Specialized apps that would greatly increase creativity. But again, it’s the market. There’s too many pieces missing (audio again) for a solid and pro workflow.

• If Xcode is indeed coming to iPad, and combined with the multiple actions around the world on the App Store and its protectionism, I wonder if there’s some hope that future iPads might sandbox stuff that’s not App Store based - I’d love this as a blender user as there’s apparently a fundamental incompatibility between the App Store and the GPL that covers much of blender’s code base.

Probably highly unlikely but it’d convince me to get a much more powerful iPad in short order if it happened...

• @Krupa said:
    If Xcode is indeed coming to iPad, and combined with the multiple actions around the world on the App Store and its protectionism, I wonder if there’s some hope that future iPads might sandbox stuff that’s not App Store based - I’d love this as a blender user as there’s apparently a fundamental incompatibility between the App Store and the GPL that covers much of blender’s code base.

Probably highly unlikely but it’d convince me to get a much more powerful iPad in short order if it happened...

I can see that route to become reality in 2-3 years... But I’m pretty sure Apple wants to move it in the opposite direction...

• edited March 2021

Yeah they’re not going to do it if they don’t have to for sure