Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ampify GrooveBox Creations Thread

124»

Comments

• Rough sketch v1

This is all Groovebox.

• @echoopera said:
    Tried something different today. Used the OP-Z to sequence GrooveBox. Arps Galore in this one...not sure what to think of the track...but hey, you learn something new every time you lay down patterns ya know :)

As far as Process, I just sequenced things in 1 at a time and recorded them per channel. I didn't have the OP-Z driving all 8 tracks at the same time...just sequenced and then recorded the patterns in GB. I did this because I wanted to use multiple Arps on the instruments in GB, and the OP-Z only offers 1 Arp channel.

It was a "slowish" process, but kind of fun and seriously allowed me to focus on things.

I really like this! I have a guitar part in my head I’d like to play along with it. Mind if I use it as a backing track? Maybe we can call it an Echo-EDRo collab.

So, I had just recently deleted Blocswave, GB, and LP to free up some space... as I really didn’t see myself using these apps, but now that I see what can be accomplished, I think I’ll have another look. I’m just usually not a fan of the apps with built in store fronts where they want you to buy other peoples loops as “packs”. (BeatMaker 3 comes to mind with it’s store)

Now if it has audio input, and you can create your own loops, with your own note choices, then I’m totally 100% onboard!

I have a friend at work who claims to be a DJ, a musician, and a composer. He’s always telling me about all these songs he’s working on. Of course when I found out, I suggested we do a collaboration. But after checking out his stuff (and much to my disappointment) I found it all EDM, and realized all he does is downloads loops, made by other people, and arranges them on a timeline in Ableton with a drum beat. :l I didn’t say anything, but thought to myself, “ok, so you’re not a musician, nor a composer? You’re just a DJ... and an arranger. Downloading someone else’s music (loops) and playing them back with a drum beat does not make you a musician. Now if you have something to add to the music, where you’re actually playing an instrument, then you’re a musician.

There! I got that off my chest!

Now, let’s go make some music!

• edited October 2020

@Intrepolicious said:

Now if it has audio input, and you can create your own loops, with your own note choices, then I’m totally 100% onboard!

I have a friend at work who claims to be a DJ, a musician, and a composer. He’s always telling me about all these songs he’s working on. Of course when I found out, I suggested we do a collaboration. But after checking out his stuff (and much to my disappointment) I found it all EDM, and realized all he does is downloads loops, made by other people, and arranges them on a timeline in Ableton with a drum beat. :l I didn’t say anything, but thought to myself, “ok, so you’re not a musician, nor a composer? You’re just a DJ... and an arranger. Downloading someone else’s music (loops) and playing them back with a drum beat does not make you a musician. Now if you have something to add to the music, where you’re actually playing an instrument, then you’re a musician.

Ha, I see that a lot.

In response to your question you can certainly record in your own loops to BlocsWave, which you can then also export direct to Launchpad app.

In Groovebox you can record your own notes in either via the screen or external MIDI Controller. However you can only do one instrument at a time as it listens to all MIDI channels and directs those to the focused instrument only.

All the sounds in my track posted above your post are from Groovebox, but all the melodies and beats are my own and recorded in. I do think I tweaked a bass pattern that came from GBX though. That bass pattern was all one key and I tweaked it to match the song's chord progression and a few of the notes.

The Synths sound so good in GBX which is why I stick with it despite some limitations. Love the distortion in Poly-8.

Also having the Launchkey MK3 controller actually makes an amazing combo with GBX, the set up and workflow is so quick.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@Intrepolicious said:

Ha, I see that a lot.

In response to your question you can certainly record in your own loops to BlocsWave, which you can then also export direct to Launchpad app.

In Groovebox you can record your own notes in either via the screen or external MIDI Controller. However you can only do one instrument at a time as it listens to all MIDI channels and directs those to the focused instrument only.

All the sounds in my track posted above your post are from Groovebox, but all the melodies and beats are my own and recorded in. I do think I tweaked a bass pattern that came from GBX though. That bass pattern was all one key and I tweaked it to match the song's chord progression and a few of the notes.

The Synths sound so good in GBX which is why I stick with it despite some limitations. Love the distortion in Poly-8.

Also having the Launchkey MK3 controller actually makes an amazing combo with GBX, the set up and workflow is so quick.

Cool! I’m having another look at the Ampify apps right now. Thanks!

And big thanks to @echoopera for this thread and all of his amazing creations!

• @Intrepolicious said:

@echoopera said:
    Tried something different today. Used the OP-Z to sequence GrooveBox. Arps Galore in this one...not sure what to think of the track...but hey, you learn something new every time you lay down patterns ya know :)

As far as Process, I just sequenced things in 1 at a time and recorded them per channel. I didn't have the OP-Z driving all 8 tracks at the same time...just sequenced and then recorded the patterns in GB. I did this because I wanted to use multiple Arps on the instruments in GB, and the OP-Z only offers 1 Arp channel.

It was a "slowish" process, but kind of fun and seriously allowed me to focus on things.

I really like this! I have a guitar part in my head I’d like to play along with it. Mind if I use it as a backing track? Maybe we can call it an Echo-EDRo collab.

So, I had just recently deleted Blocswave, GB, and LP to free up some space... as I really didn’t see myself using these apps, but now that I see what can be accomplished, I think I’ll have another look. I’m just usually not a fan of the apps with built in store fronts where they want you to buy other peoples loops as “packs”. (BeatMaker 3 comes to mind with it’s store)

Sure thing sir. Let me set the file to download enabled in a few so you can have the uncompressed track. I’ll ping you when I’ve enabled the switch.

• @Intrepolicious Just to mention a caveat of importing / recording your own loops into BlocsWave... it gets real messy, real fast. There's no folders or tagging and the files accumulate quickly with no organisation. SO that can be a bit of a pain.

• @Intrepolicious Ok sir. You can download the file from SoundCloud now. Here's the link:

• @echoopera said:

Sure thing sir. Let me set the file to download enabled in a few so you can have the uncompressed track. I’ll ping you when I’ve enabled the switch.

@echoopera said:
    @Intrepolicious Ok sir. You can download the file from SoundCloud now. Here's the link:

Sweet! Thanks! I’ll see what I can do with it and I’ll let you know before I share it anywhere. A download wasn’t really necessary as my 3rd gen Scarlett 4i4 has the loopback function where I can route any audio back into an internal audio channel, but thank you just the same!

And I wish you’d stop calling me “Sir” lol... making me feel old! 👊🏻

• @SpookyZoo said:
    @Intrepolicious Just to mention a caveat of importing / recording your own loops into BlocsWave... it gets real messy, real fast. There's no folders or tagging and the files accumulate quickly with no organisation. SO that can be a bit of a pain.

I see. Thanks for the heads up!

• edited October 2020

@Intrepolicious said:

@SpookyZoo said:
    @Intrepolicious Just to mention a caveat of importing / recording your own loops into BlocsWave... it gets real messy, real fast. There's no folders or tagging and the files accumulate quickly with no organisation. SO that can be a bit of a pain.

That’s not true. You can put your samples in categories and they will be separate from factory loops.

• Groovebox + acoustic drums + commodore c64 ....

• @anickt said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@SpookyZoo said:

That’s not true. You can put your samples in categories and they will be separate from factory loops.

It is absolutely true because thats it - you can’t arrange them either by date - alphabetical - group - category or anything once you have coloured them with a category. It does get messy very fast. There is no way at all to order them. You cannot put one somewhere to find it later.
    It’s like watching the Star Wars credits rolling as you look for the eyebrow grooming assistant.
    Ampify are far more interested in making sound packs to sell than properly updating it.

• OK so I am really digging more into groove box!!! Is there a way to get the midi into iOS instead of exporting it to desktop in Ableton??

• @onerez said:
    OK so I am really digging more into groove box!!! Is there a way to get the midi into iOS instead of exporting it to desktop in Ableton??

Not natively but there is a thread on the forum where some smart dudes wrote a Python script that will allow you to export the Groovebox MIDI to another app.

It does involve purchase of a 3rd party app (Pythonista) and some setting up, but once you've done that it's a great solution.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@onerez said:
    OK so I am really digging more into groove box!!! Is there a way to get the midi into iOS instead of exporting it to desktop in Ableton??

Not natively but there is a thread on the forum where some smart dudes wrote a Python script that will allow you to export the Groovebox MIDI to another app.

It does involve purchase of a 3rd party app (Pythonista) and some setting up, but once you've done that it's a great solution.

I think this is the thread....

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/36093/any-apps-that-can-read-ableton-als-files/p2

• @robosardine said:

@anickt said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@SpookyZoo said:

It is absolutely true because thats it - you can’t arrange them either by date - alphabetical - group - category or anything once you have coloured them with a category. It does get messy very fast. There is no way at all to order them. You cannot put one somewhere to find it later.
    It’s like watching the Star Wars credits rolling as you look for the eyebrow grooming assistant.
    Ampify are far more interested in making sound packs to sell than properly updating it.

I would use a naming method to organize the the way I need to see them. It’s possible to have a decent level of control IMHO. To each their own.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@onerez said:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/36093/any-apps-that-can-read-ableton-als-files/p2

Thanks!!!!! I can’t wait to try this later. I hope it works as it opens up a whole new midi generator for me!!!!

• @onerez said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@onerez said:

Thanks!!!!! I can’t wait to try this later. I hope it works as it opens up a whole new midi generator for me!!!!

No worries. I use it all the time. Brilliant work by the guys on this.

• @anickt said:

@robosardine said:

@anickt said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@SpookyZoo said:

I would use a naming method to organize the the way I need to see them. It’s possible to have a decent level of control IMHO. To each their own.

That’s great that you have come up with something.
    Any chance you can share the system with us? Any help would be appreciated. I just can’t work out how to go about it.

• @Pedech4 said:
    Groovebox + acoustic drums + commodore c64 ....

I missed this somehow, cool combo! Love the vibe.

• @echoopera said:

Rediscovered this thread and must have missed the OP.

Epic!

• Is there a step sequencer or X0X interface for the drum module in Groovebox or do you just have to play the "pads"?

• @jblock said:
    Is there a step sequencer or X0X interface for the drum module in Groovebox or do you just have to play the "pads"?

There is a grid sequencer for the drums an piano roll for instruments.

• It really is a great sounding collection of synths and drum samples. So easy to get things going, but so hard to get the pieces out to another environment. I would pay double the "pro" IAP for multi-out, and again more for midi learn! (How is it that NONE of Novation's excellent controllers work with Groovebox? (The keyboards do, and they do nicely, but the Launchpad XL is crying for this!)

• Yeah, it's odd from a priority perspective. Launchpad should be #1.