Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Koala - the ultimate pocket-sized sampler

Comments

• edited February 2021

@espiegel123 said:
    @elf_audio : after experimenting, i just discovered that I think that I can do what is needed. While pad two is playing, I can send the delete MIDI note event on and send the midi note for another track which deletes the other track without interrupting the recording. At least that is what it looks like... I need t9 test, but if that works, I am very psyched.

OOPS! Something odd is going on. After more testing, the behavior I described seems not to always happen. It might even be that when I got the behavior I was looking for that I had gotten Koala into a weird state...as I can’t do it at will.

Sometimes sending the MIDI note I mapped to delete works as described above, sometimes it brings up a confirm dialog, and sometimes it does nothing.

• @espiegel123 said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @elf_audio : after experimenting, i just discovered that I think that I can do what is needed. While pad two is playing, I can send the delete MIDI note event on and send the midi note for another track which deletes the other track without interrupting the recording. At least that is what it looks like... I need t9 test, but if that works, I am very psyched.

OOPS! Something odd is going on. After more testing, the behavior I described seems not to always happen. It might even be that when I got the behavior I was looking for that I had gotten Koala into a weird state...as I can’t do it at will.

Sometimes sending the MIDI note I mapped to delete works as described above, sometimes it brings up a confirm dialog, and sometimes it does nothing.

I think I have this figured out now. I just noticed that sending 127 turns the Delete button on and 0 turns it off. Knowing that I things are acting predictably.

• Ah yes, I guess there's no convention for how to handle button presses with midi CC's so I chose one - if the number is higher than 63, it's a press, if it's below, it's a release. Different buttons have different behaviours on their press and release - e.g. the play button might start transport on a press, the delete button might delete on release - the point of that is so if you change your mind about deleting whilst your finger is down, you can slide your finger off the button

• @elf_audio said:
    Ah yes, I guess there's no convention for how to handle button presses with midi CC's so I chose one - if the number is higher than 63, it's a press, if it's below, it's a release. Different buttons have different behaviours on their press and release - e.g. the play button might start transport on a press, the delete button might delete on release - the point of that is so if you change your mind about deleting whilst your finger is down, you can slide your finger off the button

Something that I am running into is that sometimes Koala seems to be reverting to an old MIDI Mapping. A few days ago, I mapped the first page of pads to notes sent on MIDI Channel 12 -- but yesterday I remapped those pads to channel 1. What seems to be happening is that periodically, Koala reverts to thinking that everything is mapped to channel 12.

I have not found a trigger for this happening. Note that this happens in a session in which I never opened the MIDI Map dialog. It is possible that it is happening after Koala crashes.But I am not certain. If it is then it seems to suggest that the midi mapping isn't being permanently saved when you press stop mapping -- and so if you crash and re-open you may lose the most recent mapping.

• @espiegel123 said:

@elf_audio said:
    Ah yes, I guess there's no convention for how to handle button presses with midi CC's so I chose one - if the number is higher than 63, it's a press, if it's below, it's a release. Different buttons have different behaviours on their press and release - e.g. the play button might start transport on a press, the delete button might delete on release - the point of that is so if you change your mind about deleting whilst your finger is down, you can slide your finger off the button

Something that I am running into is that sometimes Koala seems to be reverting to an old MIDI Mapping. A few days ago, I mapped the first page of pads to notes sent on MIDI Channel 12 -- but yesterday I remapped those pads to channel 1. What seems to be happening is that periodically, Koala reverts to thinking that everything is mapped to channel 12.

I have not found a trigger for this happening. Note that this happens in a session in which I never opened the MIDI Map dialog. It is possible that it is happening after Koala crashes.But I am not certain. If it is then it seems to suggest that the midi mapping isn't being permanently saved when you press stop mapping -- and so if you crash and re-open you may lose the most recent mapping.

It just happened again. After remapping everything to channel 1, I saved the session explicitly. About 2 minutes later Koala crashed and when I reopened, it was using the MIDI mapping with channel 12.

There is puzzling thing happening with the delete command. Sometimes, it is asking for confirmation when sending the MIDI command but sometimes it is behaving as i had hoped and deleting without the confirmation (when using MIDI CC). I have no idea if there is a pattern. To when it asks for confirmation and when it doesn't.

• Is anyone else seeing CPU spikes (that result in audio glitches in all audio apps not just koala) when you end recording into a pad? This is on an iPad 6 with iOS 13.7 and happens even with 1024 buffers and nothing much going on (baseline CPU % in AUM reads 10-20% in this session and spikes to over 130% momentarily at which time there is a short burst of noise.

• I've got my "Endless" script working in Koala.

You can set any number of pads (up to 16) to be endlessly recycled as you record going from pad to pad. The pads can be set to record from 1 to 64.

• @elf_audio any chance of adding cycle markers/loop points in piano roll?

• I don’t really understand what the endless script is doing... it it automatically changing to the next pad after a certain length?

• I haven't read the whole thread, but is choosing line input one of the features in the future?
    I would really like to record from one of my audio interface.

• @jaijai said:
    I haven't read the whole thread, but is choosing line input one of the features in the future?
    I would really like to record from one of my audio interface.

I don’t understand. IOS only allows one audio interface at a time so what would you select?

Or did you mean selecting from one output of a multi/channel interface?

• I have a Griffin studio connect and a focusrite itrack dock. When my iPhone/iPad is docked in one of those devices, Koala does not record from the input. Koala always records from the mic. It would be awesome if I could record from the line inputs.
    Same applies to the MacBook version, it can not record from the line in of an audio interface.

• @reasOne said:
    I don’t really understand what the endless script is doing... it it automatically changing to the next pad after a certain length?

It records into pads and endlessly cycles around them till you stop. You set how long the pad recordings are. There are many applications. Record so that each pad is a take, giving you a chance to play till you get it right or you could sit down and and just noodle and if inspiration strikes, press stop. It can be a retrospective/look ahead looper or flight recorder style recorder (kind of) or take recorder.

There is more background in this thread about the Loopy-based version:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/43651/loopy-endless-mozaic-script-lookahead-flight-recorder-style-looper

The advantage of Koala is there isn’t a need for a separate audio editor for stitching or editing takes.

• @jaijai said:
    I have a Griffin studio connect and a focusrite itrack dock. When my iPhone/iPad is docked in one of those devices, Koala does not record from the input. Koala always records from the mic. It would be awesome if I could record from the line inputs.
    Same applies to the MacBook version, it can not record from the line in of an audio interface.

You could use AudioBus or AUM to pipe audio into Koala.

• @espiegel123 said:

@jaijai said:
    I have a Griffin studio connect and a focusrite itrack dock. When my iPhone/iPad is docked in one of those devices, Koala does not record from the input. Koala always records from the mic. It would be awesome if I could record from the line inputs.

You could use AudioBus or AUM to pipe audio into Koala.

Awesome thank you, that was the last clue I needed. Using AUM everything works.
    Now Koala has rendered half of my gear obsolete :smile:

• As with any instrument,,, practice helps. I finally hit "Record Song" after making my own drum kit and chopping up some @LinearLineman Rhodes ("Glisten" track on SoundCloud).
    This is a open doors to new ideas I missed over the last 30 years:

• @espiegel123 said:
    I've got my "Endless" script working in Koala.
    You can set any number of pads (up to 16) to be endlessly recycled as you record going from pad to pad. The pads can be set to record from 1 to 64.

Very cool indeed! :)

• Hello dearies. I have a problem that I don't know if it comes from my Keystep Pro or Koala sampler. What do you think?
    I program 3 midi notes with the same gate in this video but you will see that between KSP and Koala they decide to play the same notes differently. Do you recognize the same problem?
    It's like Koala a lot of times does not want to play the notes I send, I have not figured it out yet. If I fill up all 16 steps it will the launching vill vary. Koala is supposed to retrigger clips, it's not in one shot. Can it be something with that Playhead moving in Sequence mode competing with my KSP? I have nothing programmed in Koala. Have a nice day now,

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @elf_audio and anyone - Iam trying to work out a way to add pad mutes & solos to the Koala pads Can this be done via Xequence2 etc? Thanks in advance

• @stormbeats said:
    @elf_audio and anyone - Iam trying to work out a way to add pad mutes & solos to the Koala pads Can this be done via Xequence2 etc? Thanks in advance

Koala doesn’t have mutes and solos.

• Since Koala switches patterns instantly one can always create a pattern variation and delete the pad that needs to be muted...

Lots of people enjoying Koala flipping stuff :)

• @espiegel123 said:

@stormbeats said:
    @elf_audio and anyone - Iam trying to work out a way to add pad mutes & solos to the Koala pads Can this be done via Xequence2 etc? Thanks in advance

Koala doesn’t have mutes and solos.

@espiegel123 I know but was thinking just maybe there was a way. Much needed

• @Samu said:
    Since Koala switches patterns instantly one can always create a pattern variation and delete the pad that needs to be muted...

@Samu True but its more for when exporting . It’s sometimes needed to mute loads of chops from a sequence to export. Yes can be done deleting stuff in piano roll but longer process. Also quicker for resampling slices. Some to mute some to solo. Hopefully this will arrive soon

• @stormbeats said:

@Samu said:
    Since Koala switches patterns instantly one can always create a pattern variation and delete the pad that needs to be muted...

@Samu True but its more for when exporting . It’s sometimes needed to mute loads of chops from a sequence to export. Yes can be done deleting stuff in piano roll but longer process. Also quicker for resampling slices. Some to mute some to solo. Hopefully this will arrive soon

Export stems and delete the files that are not needed.
    Mr. @elf_audio may need some time to 'recharge' :)

BM3 just got updated as well so...

• Koala Beatcast sample roulette is the shit! Made a lot of excellent & very talented friends on there. Huge shouts to Remi

• @PeteSasqwax said:
    Koala Beatcast sample roulette is the shit! Made a lot of excellent & very talented friends on there. Huge shouts to Remi

Need to get on the chat in stream more often. Loved that beat battle but missed their last few things

• @OscarSouth said:
    Need to get on the chat in stream more often. Loved that beat battle but missed their last few things

It's a bit awkward for us on UK time as the regular beatcast is 8pm PST (which equates to 1am GMT) but the shows are always archived by the time I get up the next morning 🙂

• @PeteSasqwax said:

@OscarSouth said:

It's a bit awkward for us on UK time as the regular beatcast is 8pm PST (which equates to 1am GMT) but the shows are always archived by the time I get up the next morning 🙂

Yeah I tend to watch stuff later, but the energy is always awesome.

Had fun playing with this idea, this afternoon!

I wrote the orchestration originally for each instrument individually and sequenced them on different MIDI channels from an Alesis NanoSynth module .. Then destroyed it all in Koala, in the best possible way! :D

I think I get get deeper grooves than this out of Koala though -- I'm only just finding my feet with it really. Totally different workflow to the kind of music creation methodology I've worked with before. Love slicing up my own compositions though.