Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can Koala Sampler cut waveforms?

I’m just about to purchase Koala. I wanted to know if you can cut the recorded samples like you can in Samplebot?

Also is there a chance there’s attack and decay?

Comments

• You can select a portion of the sample and re-sample to a new pad, so...kind of? And yes, there's attack and decay controls per-pad.

• If you haven’t already, check out some of the many videos (some by the app’s creator).All the features are covered. It does have attack and decay. You can edit the portion of audio that plays. You can also destructively crop if you want to the selection area.

• Thanks @celtic_elk and @espiegel123 ! Going to purchase now! 😁

• edited March 2021

They recently put out an in-app purchase that includes MPC-style slicing. It’s well worth it IMO — you also get time-stretching — but as others have noted, even without the IAP it’s possible to “trim” samples so that they only play a select portion or just resample the bit you want.

• The bounce option in tools menu is also quite nice to bake in the pitch and volume and envelope adjustments.

There is no 'auto crop' when creating slices since they reference the same sample.
    (In order to export individual slices, bounce or crop the pads first).

Koala is one of my all-time favorite iOS/iPadOS apps together with BeBot and a few others.
    I get 'happy' when I mess around with them!

• @Samu said:
    The bounce option in tools menu is also quite nice to bake in the pitch and volume and envelope adjustments.

There is no 'auto crop' when creating slices since they reference the same sample.
    (In order to export individual slices, bounce or crop the pads first).

Koala is one of my all-time favorite iOS/iPadOS apps together with BeBot and a few others.
    I get 'happy' when I mess around with them!

Thanks for the bounce tip, I just tried that out and it worked really well for mangling the samples even further. I assume with the IAP the time stretching allows you to alter the speed without the pitch? I’m hoping it works both ways, so I can speed up some samples.

Is there a way to easily add effects to an individual sample?

• @Keenan said:

Thanks for the bounce tip, I just tried that out and it worked really well for mangling the samples even further. I assume with the IAP the time stretching allows you to alter the speed without the pitch? I’m hoping it works both ways, so I can speed up some samples.

Yes, you can change the pitch without altering the speed or keep the pitch and change the speed.
    (for examples stretch a very short sample to 4 bars or so for some creative re-sampling effects, bounce and repeat etc.).

One way is to enable 'hold' in the effect tab, select 'resample' as the input and tap the source pad and an empty pad to resample, this way you'll have one copy with the effects and one without.

There's no dedicated 'fx send' per pad.

For controlled 'boost' one could combine volume and bounce until desired level is reached.

Dragging an existing sample on top of another gives you the option to mix or append the new sample.
    (Quite handy to merge dry and effected sample into one as an example).

There's some cheesy effects that can be applied while sampling which can result in 'happy accidents'.

One of the 'goals' with Koala is to not bloat it with features but to keep it fun, fast and easy to use :)

If you're on a Mac Koala is a free download from the AppStore and it includes the Samurai IAP.
    (This way you can check it out before you get the IAP).

Cheers!

• @Samu said:

@Keenan said:

Yes, you can change the pitch without altering the speed or keep the pitch and change the speed.
    (for examples stretch a very short sample to 4 bars or so for some creative re-sampling effects, bounce and repeat etc.).

One way is to enable 'hold' in the effect tab, select 'resample' as the input and tap the source pad and an empty pad to resample, this way you'll have one copy with the effects and one without.

There's no dedicated 'fx send' per pad.

For controlled 'boost' one could combine volume and bounce until desired level is reached.

Dragging an existing sample on top of another gives you the option to mix or append the new sample.
    (Quite handy to merge dry and effected sample into one as an example).

There's some cheesy effects that can be applied while sampling which can result in 'happy accidents'.

One of the 'goals' with Koala is to not bloat it with features but to keep it fun, fast and easy to use :)

If you're on a Mac Koala is a free download from the AppStore and it includes the Samurai IAP.
    (This way you can check it out before you get the IAP).

Cheers!

This is perfect!! Exactly what I was hoping Samplebot would turn into! I just bought the IAP but I’ll grab it for Mac too. The sample combining is genius!

Yeah so far I’m loving it! I’ll test the fx resampling next.

I’m wondering what some of your other all-time favorite apps are? I never tried Bebot before.

• @Keenan said:

I’m wondering what some of your other all-time favorite apps are? I never tried Bebot before.

Some are not super old but...

Poison-202, SunVox, FractalBits, SquareSynth 2, KQ Dixie, Spectrum (Still Free) (https://burns.ca/spectrum.html).
    SidTracker 64, Magellan 2 (The first Yonac synth without the ringing 'Yonac Sound' that plagued their earlier synths).
    Groover Rider GR-16 (Which made me put my Korg Electribe 2 in the box it came in), OB-XD, TAL-UN-O-LX...

And some of the more recent offerings the have already been mentioned.

I'm a 'Drambo Addict', it takes a time to 'get it' but once it clicks it's addictive...
    Plenty of new cool stuff planned for it... (Think filters from Zeeon and Dagger, Launchpad support etc. etc.).

BM3, Cubasis & Gadget are also apps that get used quite a bit when I'm in the mood...
    ...all time creative low at the moment.

If The Kirnu Butter Synth is everything it's supposed to be it will be a real classic!

• @Samu said:

@Keenan said:

Some are not super old but...

Poison-202, SunVox, FractalBits, SquareSynth 2, KQ Dixie, Spectrum (Still Free) (https://burns.ca/spectrum.html).
    SidTracker 64, Magellan 2 (The first Yonac synth without the ringing 'Yonac Sound' that plagued their earlier synths).
    Groover Rider GR-16 (Which made me put my Korg Electribe 2 in the box it came in), OB-XD, TAL-UN-O-LX...

And some of the more recent offerings the have already been mentioned.

I'm a 'Drambo Addict', it takes a time to 'get it' but once it clicks it's addictive...
    Plenty of new cool stuff planned for it... (Think filters from Zeeon and Dagger, Launchpad support etc. etc.).

BM3, Cubasis & Gadget are also apps that get used quite a bit when I'm in the mood...
    ...all time creative low at the moment.

If The Kirnu Butter Synth is everything it's supposed to be it will be a real classic!

Some really great stuff there! I will admit I only have a few on your list.

I agree about Drambo, and if it gets the Zeeon filter I can only imagine how good that thing is gonna sound (one of my favorite synths). I watched some demos of the fun modular stuff that can be achieved and I was hooked but I must admit I get confused quite easily and start to lose momentum. I had a lot of fun irritating my girlfriend with the theremin patch that uses the gyroscope haha!

If you haven’t got Gauss I’d recommend it! It’s gotten me back into organically building up evolving tracks and having fun with it rather than overthinking or falling into the same old patterns.

I suspect Koala will do the same, it’s a blast! I haven’t been able to figure out how to speed up a sample with the timestretch though.

• @Keenan said:

If you haven’t got Gauss I’d recommend it! It’s gotten me back into organically building up evolving tracks and having fun with it rather than overthinking or falling into the same old patterns.

Gauss is quite nice...
    ...got it when it was released.

I suspect Koala will do the same, it’s a blast! I haven’t been able to figure out how to speed up a sample with the timestretch though.

There's a thread here in the forums where someone made a Mozaic script to turn Koala into a looper...
    (ie. it records a preset length to each pad and cycles the pads or something similar).

When stretch is enabled set the 'length'. If the loop, for example if its a 1 bar loop set it to 4 bars to slow it down a lot or 1 beat to speed it up or adjust the BPM and the speed will follow.

There's quite a few Koala threads here already with lots of small tips if you have the patience to scan them thru ;)

• @Keenan said:
    I had a lot of fun irritating my girlfriend with the theremin patch that uses the gyroscope haha!

Works great on cats too. 👍🏼

• edited January 2022

I can’t find decay setting, is there only attack and release?

• @Janosax said:
    I can’t find decay setting, is there only attack and release?

Yes.