Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: Observations

Comments

• That was funny, and the guitar playing was pretty impressive.

• Chuck Yeager (97), Paolo Rossi (64) and Barbara Windsor (83) all died these past three days. Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

• I'm not saying I'm full on Christmassy yet, but getting there...

• With the right music you either forget everything or you remember everything.
    -Unknown

• Rick Wakeman - Christmas Message & Jingle Bells

• Music is the only reality perceptible to the man who governs time. It tears from our flesh the arrow of the past-present-future implanted at the moment of our birth, which moves away from us in an outrageous anonymity at the moment of our death.

Each piece of music generates its own time sphere, its own alpha and omega of full existence. When we listen to music we are suddenly in and out of the banal sovereignty of our clocks.

An inverse canon like Tallis's or the inverse counterpoint to The Well-Tempered Clavier 1, 6 does what mystics dream of and drug addicts pursue: create temporary systems that are reversed, in which the future, in the concrete sense of thematic logic, it can precede the past or in which two arrows fly in opposite directions but remain parallel.

When a man composes music, when he invents a melody — that invention, that passage from one plane of energy to another is perhaps theultimum mysteriumof human existence - performs an incomparable rite of freedom. That rite is the definition of music. It is what makes music irreducible to language.

In the word lies our stupidity, our obedience, which are manifested every time we use a verb in the tyranny of grammatical time. The word forces us to submit our experience, however intimate or ecstatic, to the universal vulgate of the past tense, the mist of the present and the future tense.

In fact, our recourse to the future is a weak fiasco, a slingshot against the certainty of our inevitable and unpredictable death. To speak is to swim and finally to drown in the river of cloudy and inhuman time because it was conquered.

In true silence there is no time, or at least it is a brief leap out of time. So,'La musique est la liberté dans le temps'.

-Deep in the sea George Steiner

• edited December 2020

Don't know if you guys will be able to access this New Yorker piece by Nick Hornby. Published twenty years ago it's a hatchet job on 'Kid A'. He didn't like it.

• Duke Ellington eating ice cream in bed in 1956.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Don't know if you guys will be able to access this New Yorker piece by Nick Hornby. Published twenty years ago it's a hatchet job on 'Kid A'. He didn't like it.

Nick Hornby was dead wrong. I wonder if he changed his mind later. There's a kind of madness in reviewing albums after a few listens, akin to the Amazon emails asking for a review of a six-hundred page book the day after you bought it. However, Mr Hornby wrote the lyrics for my favourite Ben Folds album, Lonely Avenue, so I’m going to forgive him, much to his relief, I’m sure.

• I've never really liked Kid A either, even 20 years later. As sacrilegious as this sounds the only two Radiohead albums I like (but boy do I like them) are The Bends and OK Computer. Everything after that just lost me, even though I do like experimental music (in the right hands).

Those two albums have plenty of weird bits, but they are also just choc-full of great songs. Maybe I missed them, but there is a distinct shortage of great songs in their subsequent output. I'm happy to be corrected though if there are any gems I've missed.

• @richardyot said:
    I've never really liked Kid A either, even 20 years later. As sacrilegious as this sounds the only two Radiohead albums I like (but boy do I like them) are The Bends and OK Computer. Everything after that just lost me, even though I do like experimental music (in the right hands).

Those two albums have plenty of weird bits, but they are also just choc-full of great songs. Maybe I missed them, but there is a distinct shortage of great songs in their subsequent output. I'm happy to be corrected though if there are any gems I've missed.

It's a tough one because everyone's got taste and it's also easy (from where I sit) to cherry pick.

My own experience with Thom & Co. has always been 'the new stuff's not as good' but over time (and with listenings) I have found that always dissipates (for me).

When 'In Rainbows' came out I remember being almost offended :) BUT, I think Reckoner is one of the best songs ever written and often dance around my living room while it blasts out (enough to scare the children and make the horse cry). Same with 'The King of Limbs' and Codex, but there I am, cherry-picking.

They are certainly one of those (few) bands who inspire a slavish devotion and much as I hate to see myself as one of those people I am taken with how seriously they take making music and approach its distribution.

• @JohnnyGoodyear cherry-picking is literally all I ever do with music :) I listen to vast amounts of new stuff all the time, but then I cherry-pick the songs I like. I always listen to the full album to start with (several times), but in the end I only buy the two or three tracks I like. Interestingly The Bends is one of the very few albums where I kept every song.

Thanks for the recommendations though, I'll give those tracks another listen. Maybe I just didn't get them way back then.

• I'm not alone! I wore out my Pablo Honey and The Bends CDs, but haven't really had the same connection to the later albums. I need to give them more critical listening time.

• @richardyot said:
    I've never really liked Kid A either, even 20 years later. As sacrilegious as this sounds the only two Radiohead albums I like (but boy do I like them) are The Bends and OK Computer. Everything after that just lost me, even though I do like experimental music (in the right hands).

There are always one or two songs I’m not mad about on every album (apart from OK Computer), but I love the newer stuff. Try Daydreaming from A Moon Shaped Pool, or Traffic from Thom Yorke's Anima. Kid A is probably my fave, though...

• @iansainsbury said:

@richardyot said:

There are always one or two songs I’m not mad about on every album (apart from OK Computer), but I love the newer stuff. Try Daydreaming from A Moon Shaped Pool, or Traffic from Thom Yorke's Anima. Kid A is probably my fave, though...

I’ll put those albums back in my rotation playlist and check those tracks out.

• edited January 2021

Interesting Delancey Place piece/book review about Jaco P. on the front page:

https://www.delanceyplace.com

Not a specific link, so if you are reading this in the future (how're we doing?) you might want to look for:

• @u0421793 said:
    Rick Wakeman - Christmas Message & Jingle Bells

People like Rick Wakeman remind me that there is no shortcut to getting good at playing piano.

• A thousand years ago my father bought me this precise Underwood (without octopus) as an encouragemnt or affirmation. It is lost to me now, but not (ever) forgotten.

• Never had Bowie down as a live crustacean cruncher...but then he did write Time Will Crawl.

• The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu - Come Down Dawn (Full Chapter)

• edited February 2021

King Rocker.

Stewart Lee's documentaty on Robert Lloyd/The Nightingales which looks very interesting:

https://www.huckmag.com/art-and-culture/stewart-lee-on-the-post-punk-band-that-shaped-his-career/

• I’ve just reviewed The Land That Time Forgot (1974) in which I almost don’t review it at all

Ian K Tindale’s connections – The Land That Time Forgot (1974)