Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio Engine not running latest iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS (need your help before formatting 320 gb šŸ˜‚)

Hello guys,

Since a week When I try to open a musical apps it shows me that audio engine is not working and I can not use any instruments or make any sounds.

Sometimes restart fix this problem, sometimes not and magically after some times audio return to work by itself.

Anyone experienced this or know how to fix?

I have one month more of warranty. Should I get my iPad replaced?

Thanks.

Ā«13

Comments

• Did you install any new apps just before this started happening?
    Are you using an external audio interface?

• @wim Happened Both internal and external audio card.

It began on 14th of February. Since that day I ā€˜ve installed: Drambo TestFlight, Ravenscroft TestFlight, Lyricist, Loopbud, pcm 2612 decorator, smoov and neSi xTrem.

So strange.

Just happened again. I try everything and nothing made audio engine restart then I play a Netflix movie and all working fine also in Aum with play button being no more red.

• Have you given permission to use the "Microphone" to all your music apps? I believe that's required to allow them to exchange audio. You can check in Settingsā€“>Privacyā€“>Microphone.

• edited March 2021

I have this problem occasionally. Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s my interface causing it (Apogee One). Donā€™t have your interface plugged in when you boot up your iPad; also check its power supply/power cable if it has one, and be sure its firmly connected. I canā€™t pinpoint exactly what it is, but I can say that I think its interface-related.

If not, then itā€™s a completely random iOS bug. Iā€™m at least happy to know Iā€™m not alone, plus I have a different model (Pro 10.5ā€ from like 2017).

• @Charlesalbert said:
    @wim Happened Both internal and external audio card.

It began on 14th of February. Since that day I ā€˜ve installed: Drambo TestFlight, Ravenscroft TestFlight, Lyricist, Loopbud, pcm 2612 decorator, smoov and neSi xTrem.

So strange.

Just happened again. I try everything and nothing made audio engine restart then I play a Netflix movie and all working fine also in Aum with play button being no more red.

What OS version and what is connected to your iPad?

• For the record, itā€™s happened to me occasionally before and after the latest update. Started back in November maybe (I made a thread), and last happened about a week ago.

• wimwim
    edited March 2021

@Charlesalbert said:
    @wim Happened Both internal and external audio card.

So strange.

Actually, what you've installed since it started isn't as important as what you installed just before then. It's highly improbable that an app could cause this, but that's one of the first things to ask (after "have you tried turning it off and back on?" :D ) when troubleshooting a weird issue like this.

If you can make it happen with nothing plugged into the device, then that eliminates it being caused by interfaces or cables. If not, then narrowing down by changing out cables, etc., one thing at a time, is another option. Basically, what I like to call "troubleshooting by eliminating what it's not".

• Thanks for the info and help guys.

Iā€™m on iOS 14.5 beta. Since I can not downgrade I must hope is in iOS bug and that someone can fix this before the official releasešŸ¤£

Goddamn ApplešŸ˜‚

• wimwim
    edited March 2021

@Charlesalbert said:
    Thanks for the info and help guys.

Iā€™m on iOS 14.5 beta. Since I can not downgrade I must hope is in iOS bug and that someone can fix this before the official releasešŸ¤£

Goddamn ApplešŸ˜‚

Sure you can: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203282
    [edit - nvm. I see that will only help once the next release comes out.]

• ... and, there's not much reason to hope it Apple fixes it in the next beta if you don't report the issue.

• @wim said:
    ... and, there's not much reason to hope it Apple fixes it in the next beta if you don't report the issue.

Just reportedšŸ‘ŒšŸ»

• Letā€™s finger cross

• I do hope that those in this very small category of users (ie. music apps) who are brave enough to go with the latest iOS/iPadOS betas give Apple plenty of feedback on the problems they bump into.

There's a simple reason why I no longer do iOS/iPadOS betas and that's simply because it would be a 24/7 job writing bug reports and I won't do that without any pay or compensation.

Apples focus seems to be on 'services' (Fatness+ ,TV+ etc.) and providing new emoji's :tired_face:
    I have a really hard time to take them seriously when it comes to audio creation on iOS/iPadOS.

BT works for 'consuming' content but s*cks big time for 'producing' real-time audio content...

But yeah, let's hope iOS/iPadOS14.5 (or .6 or .7) will fix to or if we get 'lucky' we'll have to wait until iOS/iPadOS15...
    ...and then we'll most likely loose support for older devices.

• @Samu said:
    I do hope that those in this very small category of users (ie. music apps) who are brave enough to go with the latest iOS/iPadOS betas give Apple plenty of feedback on the problems they bump into.

There's a simple reason why I no longer do iOS/iPadOS betas and that's simply because it would be a 24/7 job writing bug reports and I won't do that without any pay or compensation.

Apples focus seems to be on 'services' (Fatness+ ,TV+ etc.) and providing new emoji's :tired_face:
    I have a really hard time to take them seriously when it comes to audio creation on iOS/iPadOS.

BT works for 'consuming' content but s*cks big time for 'producing' real-time audio content...

But yeah, let's hope iOS/iPadOS14.5 (or .6 or .7) will fix to or if we get 'lucky' we'll have to wait until iOS/iPadOS15...
    ...and then we'll most likely loose support for older devices.

What does Apple have to do with Bluetooth audio not being a great real-time audio protocol? Being a serious audio creation environment doesnā€™t require Bluetooth audio.

IOS has lots of shortcomings as far as pro audio...hard to see Bluetooth (which is inherently problematic for low latency high fidelity audio) as being one of them.

• @espiegel123 said:

IOS has lots of shortcomings as far as pro audio...hard to see Bluetooth (which is inherently problematic for low latency high fidelity audio) as being one of them.

Well, Apple is pushing 'AirPods Pro' as their 'Pro' solution.
    That is what all the sales people at AppleStores have been 'brainwashed' to sell.
    (They have a very hard to time to explain to the customers when they notice the 'lag' when playing with GarageBand).

Sure they've got their AirPods Max that can use wired connection to the USB-C iPads.
    The Local AppleStore has not sold a single pair AirPods Max since their release...

We'll have to wait and see where things go...
    ...maybe we'll get Wireless AVB as the new standard some day...

Cheers!

• @Samu said:

@espiegel123 said:

That is what all the sales people at AppleStores have been 'brainwashed' to sell.
    (They have a very hard to time to explain to the customers when they notice the 'lag' when playing with GarageBand).

Sure they've got their AirPods Max that can use wired connection to the USB-C iPads.
    The Local AppleStore has not sold a single pair AirPods Max since their release...

Cheers!

I guess I have never considered AirPods (pro or otherwise) as aimed at pro audio or audio creators. ā€œProā€ in this case is just indicating that it is the top of their AirPod line. It is a product aimed at audio consumers not creators.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Samu said:

@espiegel123 said:

Cheers!

I guess I have never considered AirPods (pro or otherwise) as aimed at pro audio or audio creators. ā€œProā€ in this case is just indicating that it is the top of their AirPod line. It is a product aimed at audio consumers not creators.

Pro stopped meaning professional at Apple a while ago. It doesn't even mean the best anymore since that is denoted by Max now.

Personally, I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the Mac Mini Pro Max.

• wimwim
    edited March 2021

@espiegel123 said:
    What does Apple have to do with Bluetooth audio not being a great real-time audio protocol?

By removing headphone jacks they provide no choice. That is what they have to do with it.

Being a serious audio creation environment doesnā€™t require Bluetooth audio.

No, but it requires dongles and other crap. Especially if you have to charge your device while listening, which is pretty much a given in a serious audio creation environment.

(I get it that you're making the point that it's beyond Apple's control to improve Bluetooth sufficiently for audio production. But, there is culpability in making that more difficult by their "brave" design decisions.)

• @wim said:

@espiegel123 said:
    What does Apple have to do with Bluetooth audio not being a great real-time audio protocol?

By removing headphone jacks they provide no choice. That is what they have to do with it.

Being a serious audio creation environment doesnā€™t require Bluetooth audio.

No, but it requires dongles and other crap. Especially if you have to charge your device while listening, which is pretty much a given in a serious audio creation environment.

(I get it that you're making the point that it's beyond Apple's control to improve Bluetooth sufficiently for audio production. But, there is culpability in making that more difficult by their "brave" design decisions.)

The lack of a headphone port is annoying (and environmentally questionable) but also irrelevant to the issue of the platformā€™s suitability for serious audio creators. Dongles are cheap.

Btw, I am not implying Apple is interested in serious audio creators ... simply that even if they were, the dongle annoyance is pretty minor and not really indicative of anything other than their primary consumer focus (as wrongheaded as the decision might be).

• @espiegel123 said:
    Btw, I am not implying Apple is interested in serious audio creators ... simply that even if they were, the dongle annoyance is pretty minor and not really indicative of anything other than their primary consumer focus (as wrongheaded as the decision might be).

As much as I hate the situation, the insufferable capitalist in me can't honestly call it wrongheaded. They're in the game to make money, and I figure if music production was where the money was their priorities would be different. šŸ˜ā˜¹ļøšŸ¤Ø

• For one interested audio engine stop bug still present in latest iOS betašŸ˜‚ wrote again to Apple showcasing this.

• I noticed this. Is like the audio apps do not work in background. Before when I minimise soemethi g like Aum it remains a yellow point or a red mic symbol referring audio was in use. Now when I minimise this simbolo does not appear and the audio could stop without start when returning to the app.

I think I will have to try restore iPad to erase the beta which have this serious bug.

• Is 14.5 ok now ?

• @mlau said:
    Is 14.5 ok now ?

Iā€™ve formatted my iPad and since the format all is working g fine.

• @Charlesalbert said:

@mlau said:
    Is 14.5 ok now ?

Iā€™ve formatted my iPad and since the format all is working g fine.

šŸ‘

• @mlau said:
    Is 14.5 ok now ?

The first time I saw this in AUM was after updating to 14.5

• @branis said:

@mlau said:
    Is 14.5 ok now ?

The first time I saw this in AUM was after updating to 14.5

I am on 14.5 and have been diving deep into Aum and many apps yesterday. No problem whatsoever ā€¦

• Just updated my iPad and thenā€¦

• Just spent 2k on the new iPad. Maybe it was a bad ideaā€¦