Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Zenbeats 2.1

Roland Zenbeats 2.1 key features include:

Roland VERSELAB MV-1 Project Integration – Plug-and-play with VERSELAB with on-screen plugin, effects, and mixing capabilities.

Audio Editor Enhancements – Audio loops and recordings can now be edited with non-destructive cropping, smooth fading and reverse functions.

Enhanced Mixing Capabilities – Increased precision for mixer level and pan controls and better full screen support.

Flexible Audio Output with Channels – New audio output routing options enable fluid integration with outboard gear such as mixers and effects.

Simplified Audio I/O settings – With streamlined audio I/O, users can set up studio Inputs and Outputs in seconds.

MIDI Device Support Settings – Set up devices for greater control with MIDI and select more options to streamline how Zenbeats interacts with external instruments and production equipment.

Comments

• This looks great tbf.

• I'll give it a spin later today...

Don't know if it's 'placebo' but it feels a bit more fluid on my ancient iPad Air 2, iPadOS14.4.

Love the 'Force 44.1' option that can be used on the iPhone 8 to keep sample-rates under control for projects.

Will check the new and improved audio-routing as well, who knows maybe ZenBeats is the first app that allows us to directly pipe audio from an AUv3 to an audio track :D

• Finally able to download this in my region. Thanks Zenbeats and Roland people!

• @aleyas said:
    Finally able to download this in my region. Thanks Zenbeats and Roland people!

thats nice i remember you mentioning it!

• edited February 2021

Nice new features in this update!. 👏 Specially the output selection per tracks.

Will check the new and improved audio-routing as well, who knows maybe ZenBeats is the first app that allows us to directly pipe audio from an AUv3 to an audio track

I haven’t tried it yet, this would be awesome but I doubt it works out of the box. But I guess there’s a workaround if you physically connect some outs to ins in your audio interface, in a loopback fashion. One of the reasons I really wanted the outputs option was to do effects loops with some guitar pedals and possibly use an old iPad as an effects unit. I have a Zedi 10 and it’s pretty good for this setup (I hope).

I’ve posted about VerseLab integration elsewhere, as I had seen a video of the beta. I have to say I find it disappointing. I only it’s only the first iteration but I don’t get the workflow.
    The way I see it you have 3 “options”:
    1) Zenbeats enhances VerseLab
    2) VerseLab enhances Zenbeats
    3) True integration
    From what I see they’ve implemented option 1. Zenbeats serves just as an editor for VerseLab.
    You can’t seem to use VerseLab as a hands-on controller and improve Zenbeats experience, using VerseLab in existing Zenbeats projects. In the video, using VerseLab mode you can’t even seem to add tracks outside the Verselab “space”. Which brings me to the most important point. VerseLab has, in my opinion, huge audio time limitation. 6 min stereo or 12 min mono overall per project, that’s nowhere enough for recording instruments, resampling, external gear... I hoped Zenbeats integration would allow to bypass this, being able to record into the iPad and use iPad resources from VerseLab. Doesn’t seem like this is the case.
    In summary it seems to me like it’s a one-way integration. VerseLab benefits from Zenbeats as the missing big screen, that’s about it. Given the audio time limitations I can’t/wouldn’t make good use of the Verselab standalone. I wish it would enhance the Zenbeats experience: provide a dedicated hardware control as in Ableton Push or Maschine. Less screen for Zenbeats vs more screen for VerseLab; use the onboard sounds and synth. Audio interface + controller + sound engine.
    So yeah, I’m a bit disappointed. Been waiting to see how the integration worked and i just don’t see it. It’s targeted as a “finish a song” machine for hip hop or trap singers. That’s a huge mistake IMO and limits the user base. I want to stress that I’m being critical only cos I love Zenbeats and my expectations were high for VerseLab.
    I would love to hear your opinions, maybe it suits your workflow just fine. Please let me know if you own it and how it works for you.

• I quickly checked out some missing features that kept me away from Zenbeats. And I must say this release is a huge improvement.

1. Recording MIDI FX. Not so sure about this one but I could sware that this didn’t work before. I tested it with Riffer and after unchecking ‘Pre MIDI FX‘ I was able to record the notes.
    2. MIDI controlling the mixer. When you hit MIDI learn and the mixer is visible you can learn the mixer controls. I tried it with a Korg nanoKontrol 2 and it works!!
    3. Per track audio routing. Yesss! I was missing this badly. Now you can set the in and out channel for each audio track seperately. For MIDI tracks you can select the out channel.

I don’t have the time now to try everything. So later I’ll try multiple audio devices and also if I can utilize the virtual channels of my iConnectAudio 2+ to connect AUM and Zenbeats. But so far it seems to be a really great update. Probably I’ll ditch Cubasis for it. Depends on the audio editing and the proper usage of audio channels.

• Is it finally possible to record and send cc to external devices?

• I know there’s already a desktop version of Zenbeats but Ableton audio and/or midi export would be a great addition to this.

• Now there is a Guide. You find it in the main menu under Help -> Open Help

https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/Zenbeats_ver21_start_guide_eng01_W.pdf

• edited February 2021

They removed the ‘Enable Background Audio‘ option from the audio settings. Or am I too stupid to find it now? That‘s really bad. So you can have Ableton Link enabled but can‘t switch to another app without Zenbeats being stopped. @MatthewAtZenbeats why? This surely breaks the workflow of many iOS users.

• edited February 2021

FINALLY THEY GOT RID OF THOSE TINY TINY FADERS!!!!!!!!

Did we get busses/aux/groups in this version? Please tell me we did 🙏 @MatthewAtZenbeats

• So this isn’t am Ableton push situation that lets you control Ableton with a controller but rather its reversed and you control the controller with the zenbeats software??

• @krassmann said:
    Now there is a Guide. You find it in the main menu under Help -> Open Help

https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/Zenbeats_ver21_start_guide_eng01_W.pdf

Thanks!!!@Krassman

• edited February 2021

@ipadbeatmaking said:

Wait.... are the long faders only for the verselab integration? I see them in the video but I’m unable to make them bigger. @krassmann I’m not seeing background audio either, that’s not good. Hopefully it’s hidden somewhere.

Did we get busses/aux/groups in this version? Please tell me we did 🙏 @MatthewAtZenbeats

@reasOne said:

So this isn’t am Ableton push situation that lets you control Ableton with a controller but rather its reversed and you control the controller with the zenbeats software??

@reasOne it appears so. @tahiche would a VERSELAB software update be able to change the limitations for you? >

• Ahh ya that’s strange to me to control the controller with the software. If there was a dedicated zenbeats controller tho i would be all over that. Any daw with a custom controller tends to be a great thing IMO

• I'm still seeing short faders on the iPad and Mac. Have I missed a setting?

• To enlarge the faders tap the little arrow on the top right of the fader window:

And you’ll get this:

• @Schmotown said:
    I'm still seeing short faders on the iPad and Mac. Have I missed a setting?

Same here, I see them at 4:05 of this video 👇

• @GLacey said:
    To enlarge the faders tap the little arrow on the top right of the fader window:

And you’ll get this:

Thanks... for some reason i get this. Any ideas?

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

Hmmm... for me faders look the same as before. And... well, I can't see any busses/aux/groups. But I would also support that. AudioBus integration would be also great.

• @reasOne said:
    Ahh ya that’s strange to me to control the controller with the software. If there was a dedicated zenbeats controller tho i would be all over that. Any daw with a custom controller tends to be a great thing IMO

That’s what I was expecting. I don’t want the Push or Maschine as I don’t want to be tied to a desktop, but with the iPad it’s different and there’s no such product.

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

Strange...
    Which OS version do you have? I’m on 13.7

• There is another nice thing I discovered. There is a MIDI learn feature in the record menu (when you long press the record button) that allows to MIDI map record. That is needed because the record button could not be learned normally. Instead of learning ZB started to record then.

• @krassmann said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

Hmmm... for me faders look the same as before. And... well, I can't see any busses/aux/groups. But I would also support that. AudioBus integration would be also great.

It’s the arrow on the master fader you have to select to get the full screen faders

• @GLacey said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

Strange...

14.3 I REALLY hope this isn’t an iOS thing.

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

Wait.... are the long faders only for the verselab integration? .

They’re on iOS standard Zenbeats too. Great feature.

Can’t see any busses or groups. I’m afraid not.

@reasOne said:

So this isn’t am Ableton push situation that lets you control Ableton with a controller but rather its reversed and you control the controller with the zenbeats software??

@reasOne it appears so. @tahiche would a VERSELAB software update be able to change the limitations for you?

I don’t know. There’s the Verselab audio time limitation, which is huge. And the fact that it doesn’t seem too much of a controller. I don’t know if software could make it work for me, maybe it just wasn’t intended that way and it’s not built or has the features to be a good controller, which is a shame.

• iPad Air 2, iPadOS14.4

• @Samu said:
    iPad Air 2, iPadOS14.4

I am jealous! I can’t get that action on my iPad Pro 11”! I’ll try a restart

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@GLacey said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

Strange...

14.3 I REALLY hope this isn’t an iOS thing.

What is your 'interface scaling' set to?
    (Mine is 100%).