Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Koala - the ultimate pocket-sized sampler

Comments

• @Janosax said:

@McD said:

@Janosax said:
    I’ve asked for LK and Koala and both are working perfectly for IAP family sharing.

Do you use multiple Apple ID's or have a musically active family? Like Charlie Manson?

This is only to test fully those apps on my wife’s iPad Air 3, so temporary and occasional usage to see if I want a music production iPad for myself or just stay on iPhone. I’ve bought three iPad Air last year for my daughter, my wife and my mom, but not for me yet... I’ve got big hesitations between Pro/Air and mini. Waiting for march :)

I do that too! My wife is "testing" a iPad Pro with 1TB of storage for me.
    She's not happy with the limitations of IOS and should get a new MacBook M1 soon.

I'll explain that I have out grown my iPad and need her iPad for the extra storage... saving money, right?

You must take the long view in these things.

So, I can test IAP "family" sharing until then.

• @Janosax said:

@McD said:

@Janosax said:
    I’ve asked for LK and Koala and both are working perfectly for IAP family sharing.

Do you use multiple Apple ID's or have a musically active family? Like Charlie Manson?

This is only to test fully those apps on my wife’s iPad Air 3, so temporary and occasional usage to see if I want a music production iPad for myself or just stay on iPhone. I’ve bought three iPad Air last year for my daughter, my wife and my mom, but not for me yet... I’ve got big hesitations between Pro/Air and mini. Waiting for march :)

Hearing this big time, if that new iPad Mini 6 is what they claim to be that will be the ultimate for me. USB C so I can plug in my SSL 2+, smaller size so it goes even easier in the pocket than the current mini. It’s like the Nintendo Switch of iPads, goes anywhere and can play DAW’s like Beatmaker / NanoStudio / Koala while holding it on the train with my thumbs. Koala will destroy on it :smile:

• edited February 2021

@McD and @kdogg

I use that iPad Air 3 very occasionally, as I have issues using something that is not mine especially for music.

Big screen is very nice, I feel less cramped than on iPhone 7 Plus which I use for music making since several years now, but I find this iPad a bit heavy and difficult to handle.

So iPad mini will perhaps do the trick for me, and it will be possible to mount it on my saxophone practice mute too (smaller and less heavy with 300 gr). But I have fears that the screen feels a bit small...

Where iPads are fantastic vs iPhones is for split view and slide over for apps like Koala or Grouptheloop + AUM which has true landscape mode (iOS14 has partially broken it on iPhone).

Can’t wait to see next 8.4/8.5 inches iPad mini probably in march :)

• edited February 2021

More madness tomorrow for the final of the 1 v 1:

• I had to see what the 'barrier to entry' is for getting a new Roland SP 404:

An iPhone and $7 worth of software and you're good to go... right into a full-on
    GAS addiction.

• McDMcD
    edited February 2021

There's a FREE Koala Sampler for Mac OS. Get it. It runs in iPhone and iPad GUI emulation modes and can sample from the Mic or via a Loop-back audio interface for streaming services.

• Can the Mac version record from an Audio interface? I had the system settings pointed at the interface correctly, but no dice.

• @SpookyZoo said:
    Can the Mac version record from an Audio interface? I had the system settings pointed at the interface correctly, but no dice.

I'm getting the same results... it only accepts the internal mic as a source along with "Import File" (which I was looking for in the there menu and thought it was not available and "Resample from App".

I'm sure there will be more options if they decide to sell a Mac specific version. Maybe they have to
    create an AU/VST capability before selling it.

@wim did mention a Loop Back capability for sampling but I'm not sure he tested it yet with this version.

• wimwim
    edited February 2021

@McD said:
    @wim did mention a Loop Back capability for sampling but I'm not sure he tested it yet with this version.

Eh? No, wasn't me.

Lotta that going around these days (ppl thinking I said things I don't remember saying). I don't think I've been high or drunk lately, at least not that I can remember. :# Now I'm worried.

• McDMcD
    edited February 2021

@wim said:

@McD said:

Eh? No, wasn't me.

Oops.

It was @samu that posted:

With my UR-242 in loopback mode it's super easy to sample anything running on the Mac, Spotify, Youtube way easier than on the iPhone/iPad

But he could be sampling and saving to files. It's easy to import samples from files into the Mac Koala App.

• @stormbeats said:
    @elf_audio can we get a Record Count in option. No rush

That would be really great. Preferably with a one- or two-bar option like on the MPC.

• @SpookyZoo said:
    Can the Mac version record from an Audio interface? I had the system settings pointed at the interface correctly, but no dice.

Some audio interfaces provide a loop back feature.
    When it comes to the UR-242 it has to be enabled using the dspMixFX app.
    iOS/iPadOS version of the app has that feature greyed out so it only works on the desktop.

There are some audio drivers available that can do loop back as well.
    I don’t remember the names of the more recent ones but Googling should do it...

• @Samu said:

@SpookyZoo said:

iOS/iPadOS version of the app has that feature greyed out so it only works on the desktop.

The Koala Mac app has been coded to only use the internal mic. Audio interfaces when
    set as the default are not used. But doing a loopback into another recording app/DAW
    would work to capture Loop wave files for Koala Mac, right?

• @McD said:

@Samu said:

@SpookyZoo said:

The Koala Mac app has been coded to only use the internal mic. Audio interfaces when
    set as the default are not used. But doing a loopback into another recording app/DAW
    would work to capture Loop wave files for Koala Mac, right?

It uses the input device set in the system preferences even if it says mic :)
    So when I enable loopback in the dspMixFX app inputs 1&2 become loop back inputs.
    (If I then need to use the mic I can enable it in the dspMixFX app and mix it in, same with inputs 3&4 which can be mixed in using the dspMixFX app).

Just heed to remember to NOT enable the headphone output in Kolala for monitoring as the would create insane feedback 😎

The EVO4 also has a proper loopback feature that can be enabled using it’s control app.

I’m very close to getting an additional mobile interface and the EVO4 is a prime candidate...

• @Samu said:

The EVO4 also has a proper loopback feature that can be enabled using it’s control app.

I’m very close to getting an additional mobile interface and the EVO4 is a prime candidate...

I wonder if the guys in this thread here got their EVO4 Loopback issues sorted?

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/40090/using-loopback-feature-on-the-evo-4-with-pandora-or-other-music-app

• @SpookyZoo said:

@Samu said:

I wonder if the guys in this thread here got their EVO4 Loopback issues sorted?

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/40090/using-loopback-feature-on-the-evo-4-with-pandora-or-other-music-app

Noticed that post...

I do have a feeling that Apple on iOS/iPadOS is actively blocking the feature :(

Why? Because my UR-242 'remembers' it's settings when powering down the unit...
    ...so if I enable loopback using my computer, turn off the device and then hook it up to my iPad 'Loopback' should theoretically be turned on, but, after connection to the iPad and then back to the computer the 'Loopback' is disabled...

One of the few USB device I've heard works with Loopback on iOS/iPadOS is that Yamaha AG06 USB Mixer which has a hardware switch for 'LoopBack'(Still 100% digital, no additional AD/DA) but I've not been able to verify it since I don't have the unit.

Mackie has the new Mackie ProFX6v3 which has 'Loop Back Work Around' meaning you set system audio to output on 3&4 and record channels 1&2(Still 100% Digital).

But on iOS we can NOT even set the system default output device & channels!(FU Apple)

Then again, I can just 'sample' the stuff on my Mac and airdrop the files to the iPhone or iPad...
    ...sure it's an extra step but Apple will likely never allow native loopback on iOS due to their involvement with the music & 'entertainment' industry... (Which is likely one of the reason there is no 'native' Loopback feature baked in into CoreAudio and 3rd party drivers are needed, SoudFlower etc.).

Take Care,

• @elf_audio any plans to add a song mode/chain sequences or auto jump to next sequence (option in settings)? As an IAP

• I can answer this one just because I know Marek has spoken about it on the Discord. No plans at present as you can just add sequences to the end of one another and build songs that way. As a result other things have priority .

• @PeteSasqwax said:
    I can answer this one just because I know Marek has spoken about it on the Discord. No plans at present as you can just add sequences to the end of one another and build songs that way. As a result other things have priority .

I wish there was an option where you can tap on a sequence and it plays after the last sequence is playing. A toggle switch for how it acts now which is nice and for it to switch after that scene is done.

• @stormywaterz said:

@PeteSasqwax said:
    I can answer this one just because I know Marek has spoken about it on the Discord. No plans at present as you can just add sequences to the end of one another and build songs that way. As a result other things have priority .

I wish there was an option where you can tap on a sequence and it plays after the last sequence is playing. A toggle switch for how it acts now which is nice and for it to switch after that scene is done.

@stormywaterz @elf_audio this I agree with. Would help a lot

• Granular Koala!

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Granular Koala!

With the Samurai update, you could throw some timestretching in there for extra pad goodness.

• I have created a Mozaic script that creates an "endless" flightrecorder or lookahead typelooper by alternating between two or more loops.

I was realizing that Koala would be an even better recorder for this, for this to work it is necessary to be able to clear a pad via MIDI.

Does anyone know if that is possible in Koala?

• @espiegel123 said:
    I have created a Mozaic script that creates an "endless" flightrecorder or lookahead typelooper by alternating between two or more loops.

I was realizing that Koala would be an even better recorder for this, for this to work it is necessary to be able to clear a pad via MIDI.

Does anyone know if that is possible in Koala?

You can map the delete toggle and the individual pads by MIDI, so should be possible if I understand right.

I'd love to see an example of the results!

• @Janosax said:
    @elf_audio

I’ve got a small issue with 4 bars sequence not starting on first bar (but on second bar) after playing a one bar sequence, look at this GIF:

This is with Ableton Link enabled or disabled, so that don’t seem to be related.

I’m having this same issue but within two-bar loops: if I play a two bar loop then play a one-bar loop twice, returning to the two-bar loop lands it in the loop middle (the second bar) instead of at the start.

Regardless I just can’t say enough great things about Koala.

FX Wet amount (not per effect but one that adjusts all) and HP / LP filters per pad and I think we’d be at the plateau.

• Does Koala expose its MIDI port? If I load Koala into AUM, I can direct MIDI to Koala. But if I have Koala running without loading it directly into AUM, I see a virtual MIDI port called "MIDI Monitor" which seems to only exist when Koala is running, but when I send MIDI to that destination, Koala doesn't respond (at least not when midi mapping)

• @elf_audio : is there a way to remotely (i.e. via MIDI) to delete a pad or record over it without user interaction? I implemented a sort of "endless looper"/take recorder in Mozaic that I use with Loopy and I'd like to adapt the script to Koala. What it does is endlessly (until you press stop) cycle between a number of buffers/loops/pads recording into them. This lets you keep a record of just last 'x bars' of your playing. It is super handy.

Anyway, in Loopy there is a way via MIDI to clear a track (or record over it) without user intervention. Those commands (like clear/delete) that normally need user intervention treat a second triggering as confirmation.

I can issue the Delete command but it requires the user to tap. What if a second issuing of the delete midi (in close proximity) acts as confirmation?

The other issue for this scenario is that I'd like to be able to erase one pad while another one is still recording OR be able to record over an existing pad.

Here are a couple of demos of what the script does with Loopy. I'd love to write one for Koala since Koala allows editing of the results.

• FX Wet amount (not per effect but one that adjusts all) and HP / LP filters per pad and I think we’d be at the plateau.

Self-edit: just found the ‘Tone’ slider per pad - holy sh_t @elf_audio - Koala really is a masterpiece.

• @elf_audio : after experimenting, i just discovered that I think that I can do what is needed. While pad two is playing, I can send the delete MIDI note event on and send the midi note for another track which deletes the other track without interrupting the recording. At least that is what it looks like... I need t9 test, but if that works, I am very psyched.