Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Love That's Lost, When You're Young - dark indie/shoegaze

It's a mashup of shoegaze, and trip-hop I think (with sprinkle of ambient for the textures), composed and arranged in GarageBand, vocals and mixing done in Auria.

The music was performed with the touch instruments, apart from the drums which come courtesy of the GB Drummer (Kyle in this case). Apart from the GB instruments (bass, electric piano, Alchemy synth), there's a few IAAs and AUs: Steel Guitar for the slide phrase, Roli Noise for the guitar solo, Quanta for some textures, and too many effects to mention.

Vocal processing is super-simple: a low-cut EQ below 80hz, MagicDeathEye and Pro-R and that's it.

MagicDeathEye Stereo, Reelbus, and Pro L2 are on the master bus.

Lyrics in the spoiler:

Love that’s lost
When you’re young
Is so hard to recover from
You’ll never light
A more destructive fire

And you weren’t with me
It nearly killed me
I never saw you
I never called you

Empty nights
An empty bed
With just the voices in your head
You’ll never feel
A loneliness so dire

And you weren’t with me
It nearly killed me
I never saw you
I never called you

Comments

• Great vibe! This would fit seamlessly with the Spotify playlists we’ve been welcoming an early Spring to.

• Thanks for the listen @Proppa and @Poppadocrock

• Lovely! you had me at Shoegaze. The start reminds me of Slowdive and the chorus reminiscent of Teenage Fanclub.

• @Oblique said:
    Lovely! you had me at Shoegaze. The start reminds me of Slowdive and the chorus reminiscent of Teenage Fanclub.

Thanks! Both of those bands featured heavily in my student days, among many others of course.

Talking of Slowdive, their reunion album from a couple of years ago is even better than their early 90s stuff, check it out if you haven’t already.

• Yes it's a beautiful album, and I agree it's much better than the earlier records. I managed to see them performing it live a couple of years ago. Really missing live music atm.

@richardyot said:

@Oblique said:
    Lovely! you had me at Shoegaze. The start reminds me of Slowdive and the chorus reminiscent of Teenage Fanclub.

Thanks! Both of those bands featured heavily in my student days, among many others of course.

Talking of Slowdive, their reunion album from a couple of years ago is even better than their early 90s stuff, check it out if you haven’t already.

• @Oblique said:
    Yes it's a beautiful album, and I agree it's much better than the earlier records. I managed to see them performing it live a couple of years ago. Really missing live music atm.

@richardyot said:

@Oblique said:

Lucky you, I would love to see them play 👍

• Nice! Really well done!

• @Intrepolicious said:
    Nice! Really well done!

Thanks!

• Didn’t know what the hell shoegaze or trip-hop were till I just googled them. Not a fan of labelling music but I know I liked this. Very professional and a great vibe @richardyot .

• @GeoTony said:
    Didn’t know what the hell shoegaze or trip-hop were till I just googled them. Not a fan of labelling music but I know I liked this. Very professional and a great vibe @richardyot .

Thanks for the listen - I'm not mad on labelling music either, but I think it helps to give listeners some idea of what to expect, and also if the genre is going to be their bag.

• @richardyot great backing/vibe/track/whatever the kids call it these days etc. Very polished. I'm not certain where one procures young (or old) girl backing singers, but your stuff always cries out for her (in my humble etc etc). You and a kitchen table and Carol or Diane (or even Emmylou) and a simple Spire recorder....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @richardyot great backing/vibe/track/whatever the kids call it these days etc. Very polished. I'm not certain where one procures young (or old) girl backing singers, but your stuff always cries out for her (in my humble etc etc). You and a kitchen table and Carol or Diane (or even Emmylou) and a simple Spire recorder....

Yeah it would be great to have a female voice in some of these songs. I love duets, and there are many really awesome ones, that can also be very atmospheric to boot. The XX for example, or Better Oblivion Community Center, or Lua by Conor Oberst and Gillian Welch. And Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris of course. My all-time favourite duets are by Lee Hazlewood and Nancy Sinatra.

You might like my Spotify playlist that features all my favourite quirky duets:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4dwGmoIVMWv2f0tWCbBorV?si=pAJVLx6dSsmS5N_d8eWPNA

Talking of Emmylou, you ever seen this?

• @richardyot I have not but I will. And many thanks for the Duet playlist which now sits atop of my list above another prompted by you :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @richardyot I have not but I will. And many thanks for the Duet playlist which now sits atop of my list above another prompted by you :)

What's in the Shoegaze Classics? I would love to have a listen to that one 😍

• @richardyot said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @richardyot I have not but I will. And many thanks for the Duet playlist which now sits atop of my list above another prompted by you :)

I'm sure you could do a far more credible job, but:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DX6ujZpAN0v9r?si=e62119537fd44ac7

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@richardyot said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

I'm sure you could do a far more credible job, but:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DX6ujZpAN0v9r?si=e62119537fd44ac7

A good mix of old and new in that one. The one glaring omission of course is My Bloody Valentine, because they haven't licensed their catalog to Spotify.

• @richardyot said:

A good mix of old and new in that one. The one glaring omission of course is My Bloody Valentine, because they haven't licensed their catalog to Spotify.

As a barefooted shoegaze novice I presume that's your fave MBV tune?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@richardyot said:

Probably, although the entire album (Loveless) is very good. It's the mythical album that almost bankrupted Creation.

• @richardyot : that’s a very accomplished piece of work. Incredible to think you did it all on an iPad. What times we live in, huh? Great stuff!

• @Svetlovska said:
    @richardyot : that’s a very accomplished piece of work. Incredible to think you did it all on an iPad. What times we live in, huh? Great stuff!

Thanks!

• This is great. So easy in this genre to make something that sounds third rate, but clearly you have good taste and instincts. Randomly reminds me of Tame Impala. This should easily be on an indie playlist on Spotify.

• Nice work, sounds good.

• @JoyceRoadStudios said:
    This is great. So easy in this genre to make something that sounds third rate, but clearly you have good taste and instincts. Randomly reminds me of Tame Impala. This should easily be on an indie playlist on Spotify.

@Pxlhg said:
    Nice work, sounds good.

Thanks both for the listen and the feedback 🙏

• edited February 2021

@richardyot As might be at this point expected, I love this one too. Wonderful tune, wonderfully put together.

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@richardyot said:

Toegaze!?!

After decades of favorite records, I realized a few years back that Loveless is probably my favorite record ever. I'm that old. Still, Lose My Breath (from Isn't Anything) is probably my favorite MBV tune. The weird minor chords. The weird release. The slightly tense serenity of it all.

• @syrupcore said:
    After decades of favorite records, I realized a few years back that Loveless is probably my favorite record ever. I'm that old.

A couple of years ago there was a thread on the forum (that you probably remember) about the most artistically consistent album of all time and to my great surprise Loveless was the one that seemed to be mentioned the most.

MBV and Galaxie 500 were the two bands that formed my youth, but they were never popular like other bands at the time, from the Stone Roses to Oasis, that seemed to have a much greater impact on the culture. It's great to see that 30 years later people are still listening to them and that they have stood the test of time.