Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

crazy but happy accident with Cality and Ionarics

I got the idea to use Ionarics to feed notes to Cality but I accidentally routed the notes from Cality back into Ionarics in AUM and out came this volcano of notes getting louder and louder and more and more cacophonous quickly. It actually scared me. I was able to turn my speakers off before they blew. But right before it turned into ash, it was super beautiful. Once I regained my calm, I turned the number of notes down and the frequency of notes down on Cality and gradually increased them and eventually got some settings that had it under control and it sounded amazingly beautiful. Changing any setting seemed to change the character of the melodies significantly but it really seemed kind of alchemical. But to me was still "musical" I would say even thought completely other worldly and like nothing I've heard. Just wanted to share. Probably will be spending some days trying to tweak this. Seems like everything I tried, I really liked. I'll see in the novelty wears off but I don't think it will... I can't get over what just happened. Wish you coulda hear that first chain reaction!

Comments

• @gkillmaster said:
    I got the idea to use Ionarics to feed notes to Cality but I accidentally routed the notes from Cality back into Ionarics in AUM and out came this volcano of notes getting louder and louder and more and more cacophonous quickly. It actually scared me. I was able to turn my speakers off before they blew. But right before it turned into ash, it was super beautiful. Once I regained my calm, I turned the number of notes down and the frequency of notes down on Cality and gradually increased them and eventually got some settings that had it under control and it sounded amazingly beautiful. Changing any setting seemed to change the character of the melodies significantly but it really seemed kind of alchemical. But to me was still "musical" I would say even thought completely other worldly and like nothing I've heard. Just wanted to share. Probably will be spending some days trying to tweak this. Seems like everything I tried, I really liked. I'll see in the novelty wears off but I don't think it will... I can't get over what just happened. Wish you coulda hear that first chain reaction!

Seriously, try this. It will help with the loudness which comes in part from repeated overlapping midi notes.

Take you midi feedback out out and route it into @blueveek midi utility midiGHOST set it on the most minimal timing and “block same note”.

Let me know how it works out.

• edited February 2021

@audiblevideo said:

@gkillmaster said:

Seriously, try this. It will help with the loudness which comes in part from repeated overlapping midi notes.

Take you midi feedback out out and route it into @blueveek midi utility midiGHOST set it on the most minimal timing and “block same note”.

ok, thanks, will try tomorrow.

• @audiblevideo said:

@gkillmaster said:

where do I find this midiGHOST utility?

• @gkillmaster inside the collection of apps called Midi Tools.

Please post a short clip of the sound you are getting!

• @gkillmaster

AudioVeek midiTools —> midiGHOST

Vid

• @gkillmaster said:

Great idea. I don’t have ionarics but love Cality and autony. Ionarics has been high up on my list, maybe it’s finally time to complete the set.

What you described is one of the main reasons I enjoy messing with generated or semi generative midi. I always have a blast When i add different kinds of midi elements together to see what comes out. more often then not with some tweaking you can turn it into something beautiful.

• Nice idea for a generative midi feedback loop :)

I added a MIDI Keyzone from the MIDI Tools suite after the De-Ghost into the midi loop - this allows to limit the range of feedback notes (and also fade the velocities of the lower and higher range notes)

Ionarics => Cality => DeGhost => KeyZone => back into Ionarics

To start the generation i added „AUM keyboard => Ionarics“. The output instrumt is reading its midi from KeyZone

I found several setups for Ionarics/Cality that play along for quite a while and eventuelly stop (they don‘t get more and more chaotic). In such cases i can nicely influence the generation by adding new notes via the AUM keyboard, like returning into a specific keyrange or adding bass etc :)

• edited February 2021

@Gavinski said:
    @gkillmaster inside the collection of apps called Midi Tools.

Please post a short clip of the sound you are getting!

Thanks for pointing me to Midi Tools!

I'll try and record something today. Want to tweak it and try to re-create that initial sound. I'm just starting to use AUM and AUs (been working mostly desktop) and had trouble saving the exact state of things cause I could not save presets within Cality and when I saved my AUM file and reloaded, the settings were reverted (I think) to a default preset. Is there a way to save presets locally within AUs that don't have that feature implemented?

• @audiblevideo said:
    @gkillmaster

AudioVeek midiTools —> midiGHOST

Vid

Thank you!

• edited February 2021

@_ki said:
    Nice idea for a generative midi feedback loop :)

I added a MIDI Keyzone from the MIDI Tools suite after the De-Ghost into the midi loop - this allows to limit the range of feedback notes (and also fade the velocities of the lower and higher range notes)

To start the generation i added „AUM keyboard => Ionarics“. The output instrumt is reading its midi from KeyZone

I found several setups for Ionarics/Cality that play along for quite a while and eventuelly stop (they don‘t get more and more chaotic). In such cases i can nicely influence the generation by adding new notes via the AUM keyboard, like returning into a specific keyrange or adding bass etc :)

Thanks for the tip! Unless I misunderstand, I'm able to control the note range in Cality.

And yes, the biggest thing I fight with is after a giant crescendo, it can just go silent. Not really sure why. I'm trying to figure out some settings that will keep it going and generating without me adding input. Also, I realized that the synth I was sending it to has average polyphony so I'm going to try and find one that can have more simultaneous voices. (I'm sending notes to ArcSyn on my mac, max 32 voices) Sometimes if there are enough notes, Cality will crash so it's kind of a delicate balance.

• @Poppadocrock said:

@gkillmaster said:

Great idea. I don’t have ionarics but love Cality and autony. Ionarics has been high up on my list, maybe it’s finally time to complete the set.

What you described is one of the main reasons I enjoy messing with generated or semi generative midi. I always have a blast When i add different kinds of midi elements together to see what comes out. more often then not with some tweaking you can turn it into something beautiful.

Yes! I'm always looking for something I haven't heard before, or something that has potential and worth listening to and sharing. I feel like this could be that. Going to try and work Autony into the feedback loop too.

• @_ki said:
    Nice idea for a generative midi feedback loop :)

Chaotic genius! Linked to a couple of presets in FRMS and Factory and just let it run...👍

• Ooo, I wish for this midihub in IOS now!

I was never able to tame the feedback loop with Cality and Ionarics. There is something going on that I don't understand that makes it either explode and crash or stop. Still working on finding a way... But it's opened up a whole new world of possibilities.