Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

HDMI OUT While using an audio interface? Is this possible?

Hello,

i was wondering if anyone knew how to send the display from my iPad out to a tv from USB? in order to use an interface i have to plug in the camera connection kit (and a powered hub) .. .so im wondering if there are any other solutions (other than apple tv)

thanks !

Comments

• Check out the iPad accessories on Apple’s website. There are various options with hdmi output depending on whether you have a lightning or usb c port on you iPad.

• edited February 2021

@RubenDari said:
    Hello,

i was wondering if anyone knew how to send the display from my iPad out to a tv from USB? in order to use an interface i have to plug in the camera connection kit (and a powered hub) .. .so im wondering if there are any other solutions (other than apple tv)

thanks !

You can get dual-output adapters; just search on Amazon. Not sure how well they'd work though.

• Before I knew any better, when I first got my current IPP, I also went out and bought Apple's Multiport AV adapter which has an hdmi port, one USB-A port, and a USB-C port for pass through power.

• thanks for the tips, ... I have a lighting port iPad, the Multiport av would have worked if i had a newer iPad.

• Yeah, unfortunately lightning ipads probably don't have enough data bandwidth....

• @RubenDari said:
    thanks for the tips, ... I have a lighting port iPad, the Multiport av would have worked if i had a newer iPad.

As I mentioned, they do exist, for example this one. Functionality may be doubtful, though.

• edited February 2021

I purchase a FLYLAND Lighting to HDMI Adapter, RJ45 Ethernet for iPhone, LAN Wired Network Adapter,4 in 1 Compatible with iPhone to HDMI, USB Camera Adapter with Charging for iPhone 7/8/X/Xs/11, iPad, iPod. It requires iOS 13 or above for screen mirroring.

To mirror the screen to the HDMI output, I switch the TV to the correct HDMI output port, plug the adapter into my iPad, wait until the display on the TV shows it’s recognized, and start screen mirroring. There is definitely a delay between when you do something on the Apple mobile device and having it appear on the TV.

If you’re running music apps, you’d have a tough time focusing on the TV output due to the delay but looking at the iPad or phone resolved the problem. The length of the HDMI cable and where the TV is can be a practical concern as the TV screen is probably going to be a lot larger than the mobile device’s screen which will need to be closer to you to be able to see it.

This could be a practical way to show other people what you’re doing on your device but wouldn’t be a viable solution if you’re hoping to have an HDMI monitor rather than using your mobile device screen as your primary screen.

• @uncledave said:

@RubenDari said:
    thanks for the tips, ... I have a lighting port iPad, the Multiport av would have worked if i had a newer iPad.

As I mentioned, they do exist, for example this one. Functionality may be doubtful, though.

thank YOU!

• @Paulinko said:
    I purchase a FLYLAND Lighting to HDMI Adapter, RJ45 Ethernet for iPhone, LAN Wired Network Adapter,4 in 1 Compatible with iPhone to HDMI, USB Camera Adapter with Charging for iPhone 7/8/X/Xs/11, iPad, iPod. It requires iOS 13 or above for screen mirroring.

To mirror the screen to the HDMI output, I switch the TV to the correct HDMI output port, plug the adapter into my iPad, wait until the display on the TV shows it’s recognized, and start screen mirroring. There is definitely a delay between when you do something on the Apple mobile device and having it appear on the TV.

If you’re running music apps, you’d have a tough time focusing on the TV output due to the delay but looking at the iPad or phone resolved the problem. The length of the HDMI cable and where the TV is can be a practical concern as the TV screen is probably going to be a lot larger than the mobile device’s screen which will need to be closer to you to be able to see it.

This could be a practical way to show other people what you’re doing on your device but wouldn’t be a viable solution if you’re hoping to have an HDMI monitor rather than using your mobile device screen as your primary screen.

thank you!

• I don’t think any answers here have specifically addressed the root issue:

can iOS send A/V over HDMI while also hosting audio on an external USB audio interface?

I suspect the answer is no. I’ve never heard of iOS being able to manage sending out to 2 audio destinations simultaneously.

But now I’m curious. I’ll see if I can test this if no one else has the definitive answer.

• since im planning on using an audio interface, im just hoping it will let me send the video stream while making music, (i don't need both)

• @RubenDari said:
    since im planning on using an audio interface, im just hoping it will let me send the video stream while making music, (i don't need both)

Yes, I was thinking about that. Since the video adapter essentially works the same as mirroring, I expect it will take over the audio output, and you won't be able to change that.

• edited February 2021

@uncledave said:

@RubenDari said:
    since im planning on using an audio interface, im just hoping it will let me send the video stream while making music, (i don't need both)

Yes, I was thinking about that. Since the video adapter essentially works the same as mirroring, I expect it will take over the audio output, and you won't be able to change that.

I’ve found that it depends on the order in which you plug in the cables. With the Apple AV multi adapter, If you plug in the HDMI cable first and then plug in your usb audio interface, you’ll get video via HDMI and audio via your interface. At least that’s how it works on my newer IPad Air.

Edit: the AV multi adapter must be plugged into your iPad BEFORE plugging in the HDMI/USB cables.

• edited February 2021

OK, I did a test on my iPad Pro 2018 12.9 with a USB-C hub. on iOS 14.4

@mtenk has the right solution:
    1. Plug in monitor HDMI out to your USB hub.
    2. Then plug in USB audio interface and it will gain control of audio inputs and outputs. (No audio will go out over HDMI)

This seems to work perfectly.

Edit: Of course, your USB hub needs to be plugged in to iPad and powered before step 1. And the audio interface needs to have power before step 2 if it isn’t powered over USB.

• edited February 2021

@RubenDari said:

Airplay screen mirror?
    From my understanding, lightning ipads are video/ HDMI or audio/usb, and cannot do both at the same time (discounting audio over HDMI for video).

The above suggestions using an ipad with a USBC port, it will work. Lightning is limited in its bandwidth.

• I'll have to try this with the nucleum (USB-C)

• edited February 2021

With my adapter, I can connect a USB audio interface to the USB camera connection port and mirror the output of both the video and audio to the HDMI port. The biggest issues are the delay and the mirrored screen being cutoff on the top and bottom of the HDMI screen.

If I adjust my TV to the HDMI graphics mode the TV screen display is exactly as they are on the iPad with a blank black space to the left and right as @uncledave pointed out to me below.

• @Paulinko I think the top and bottom cutoff may be due to TV overscan. If you can set the TV to "Just Scan", or exactly 1080x1920, you may get the full screen

• @uncledave said:
    @Paulinko I think the top and bottom cutoff may be due to TV overscan. If you can set the TV to "Just Scan", or exactly 1080x1920, you may get the full screen

Thank you, a little digging in my TV’s menu came up with an HDMI graphics mode where the top and bottom of the screen display exactly as they are on the iPad.

• @Paulinko said:

@uncledave said:
    @Paulinko I think the top and bottom cutoff may be due to TV overscan. If you can set the TV to "Just Scan", or exactly 1080x1920, you may get the full screen

Thank you, a little digging in my TV’s menu came up with an HDMI graphics mode where the top and bottom of the screen display exactly as they are on the iPad.

Excellent! That's the ticket...