Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Expression pedals & Eventide's Blackhole Reverb - Daveypoo, The Mobile Music Minstrel

Using an expression pedal with Eventide's Blackhole Reverb Pedal!

Comments

• Oh I bet this is well naughty, will watch in a bit :)

• It's a quickie!

• Nice man, I’ll be nicking my better half’s piano expression pedal she never uses to try this :D

• Hell yeah - just map the expression pedal to the ribbon controller and you're off to the races, my friend!

I realized while filming this just how little I use that pedal and how much use I could actually get from it - more videos like this to come!

• Yeah man, totally makes sense to use it with the ribbon, I’ve used it a bit but will see it differently now...

• McDMcD
    edited February 2021

Caution: this video extolls the virtues of a hardware pedal that emulates an IOS app.

Then it compounds that assault on the wallet with another pedal to do what you can do with a ribbon control on IOS.

It helps you see the insanity of physical hardware when we can emulate it without the need for a small business loan.

People will exclaim the superior sound of the hardware devices but that just means they are still annoying the neighbors and crave attention.

Stay safe and watch with caution.

I also found a hardware expression pedal in the den that I cam map to the Blackhole IOS Ribbon, I’ll bet. I used to have the hardware GAS pretty bad.

In the end... it’s what we can do to the air. How we do it is irrelevant. Saving the airwaves electronically is good too for annoying people remote to your physical presense.

• While on the topic - which pedals have people been able to get working with an iPad through the Blueboard? I have the Behringer FCV100 and cannot for the life of me get it to work properly. There is some recognition because the values move slightly when I plug the pedal in and also when I try to move the pedal up and down. Any help greatly appreciated.

• @McD said:
    Caution: this video extolls the virtues of a hardware pedal that emulates an IOS app.

Then it compounds that assault on the wallet with another pedal to do what you can do with a ribbon control on IOS.

It helps you see the insanity of physical hardware when we can emulate it without the need for a small business loan.

People will exclaim the superior sound of the hardware devices but that just means they are still annoying the neighbors and crave attention.

Stay safe and watch with caution.

I also found a hardware expression pedal in the den that I cam map to the Blackhole IOS Ribbon, I’ll bet. I used to have the hardware GAS pretty bad.

In the end... it’s what we can do to the air. How we do it is irrelevant. Saving the airwaves electronically is good too for annoying people remote to your physical presense.

I appreciate the position of your tongue relative to your cheek but I somehow feel the need to point out that “how we do it” can be very relevant.

• That's what I have... I hooked it up to my BlueBoard and it sent values for CC 11 (Expression).
    The pedal is basically a housing for a potentiometer/resistor. There are no active electronics
    in the device.

• edited February 2021

@McD All good points - the app is EXACTLY the same as the hardware.. The only real difference is structural integrity - I trust the pedal to be stomped on. I cannot say the same for my iPad Pro.

But yes - an expression pedal is simply a mappable MIDI knob for your feet!

• Thanks all.

• @mjcouche said:
    While on the topic - which pedals have people been able to get working with an iPad through the Blueboard? I have the Behringer FCV100 and cannot for the life of me get it to work properly. There is some recognition because the values move slightly when I plug the pedal in and also when I try to move the pedal up and down. Any help greatly appreciated.

To troubleshoot these situations it's wise to use a MIDI scanner like "MIDI Wrench" (free from the Crudebytes folks) or "MIDI Spy" or a Mozaic Script that logs events of interest
    like CC's in this case.

What can make the Blue Board tricky are the 3 possible modes of operation:
    1. "Notes",
    2. "Program Changes"
    3. and "CC's".

I was looking at the description of the Behringer FCV100 Pedal and it's described as a stereo
    volume pedal with a CV Mode switch to act as a Control Voltage Pedal.

An expression pedal just provides some resistance to the current the device provides.
    A CV Pedal send a voltage and must have a battery/power source to do that.

So, I suspect you can use the Behringer as an expression pedal into a BlueBoard.

• Bought blueboard and the m audio. Only tried once. Might setup again later to demo. It seemed to work when you see the graphic on the ik software move, like how the expression on brass instruments would move ( when mapped ) Had to add an additional sustain to a microkey ( for growls ) but will see if sustain can actually go through blueboard and if you can save the different settings needed for input1 and input 2. Otherwise it would have to route through microkey and then drambo would have to route to all synths ( and select track via drambo ) but can get sticky notes with Swam. Im guessing because of mpe. I think it dosent stick if wait for notes to finish. Hoping it wasnt that way on standard synths and I didnt notice because Drambo routing to a single midi channel keyboard is good. It gives the nanokey studio ( other controller ) to a drum machine. I need to finish midi setup. Guass to faderfox.

• @sigma79 said:
    Bought blueboard and the m audio. Only tried once. Might setup again later to demo. It seemed to work when you see the graphic on the ik software move, like how the expression on brass instruments would move ( when mapped ) Had to add an additional sustain to a microkey ( for growls ) but will see if sustain can actually go through blueboard and if you can save the different settings needed for input1 and input 2. Otherwise it would have to route through microkey and then drambo would have to route to all synths ( and select track via drambo ) but can get sticky notes with Swam. Im guessing because of mpe. I think it dosent stick if wait for notes to finish. Hoping it wasnt that way on standard synths and I didnt notice because Drambo routing to a single midi channel keyboard is good. It gives the nanokey studio ( other controller ) to a drum machine. I need to finish midi setup. Guass to faderfox.

You can use a sustain pedal and an expression pedal at the same time with the BlueBoard.

• @espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:
    Bought blueboard and the m audio. Only tried once. Might setup again later to demo. It seemed to work when you see the graphic on the ik software move, like how the expression on brass instruments would move ( when mapped ) Had to add an additional sustain to a microkey ( for growls ) but will see if sustain can actually go through blueboard and if you can save the different settings needed for input1 and input 2. Otherwise it would have to route through microkey and then drambo would have to route to all synths ( and select track via drambo ) but can get sticky notes with Swam. Im guessing because of mpe. I think it dosent stick if wait for notes to finish. Hoping it wasnt that way on standard synths and I didnt notice because Drambo routing to a single midi channel keyboard is good. It gives the nanokey studio ( other controller ) to a drum machine. I need to finish midi setup. Guass to faderfox.

You can use a sustain pedal and an expression pedal at the same time with the BlueBoard.

Will try setting up. Would be ideal not through microkey. Will let you know.

Thanks espiegel

• @sigma79 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:

Thanks espiegel

Btw, when i first tried with a sustain pedal I had some problems -- it turns out that my blueboard had old firmware that needed updating. it was fine after I updated.

• @espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:

Thanks espiegel

Btw, when i first tried with a sustain pedal I had some problems -- it turns out that my blueboard had old firmware that needed updating. it was fine after I updated.

Thanks. Swam with expression and sustain is quite good control if I recall. Will definately map tomoz.

• @espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:

Thanks espiegel

Thanks. Made it work. Updated firmware.

Do you know if you can map velocity. Dosent seem to be a midi option.

• @sigma79 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:

Thanks espiegel

What do you mean by map velocity? Sustain pedals should send only two values.

• @espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:

Thanks espiegel

Velocity in swam.

I think I need to send blueboard back anyway. Ext 1 seems faulty. Dosent recognise any inputs where as ext 2 never has a problem. Iv got it to work but cant again. Seems like a dodgy port of software problem.

• Set up when bought. Noticed prob with ext 1 but used microkey anyway. Got it working today but ext 1 or ext 1 via app is faulty. Just cant connect anything.

• @espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:

Thanks espiegel

Map to expression. So its mapped with expression to expression pedal. Not sure. Just read someone say to map velocity with expression.

• @Daveypoo said:
    @McD All good points - the app is EXACTLY the same as the hardware.. The only real difference is structural integrity - I trust the pedal to be stomped on. I cannot say the same for my iPad Pro.

But yes - an expression pedal is simply a mappable MIDI knob for your feet!

Wouldn't the H9 Core be the better deal?

• @sigma79 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:

Thanks espiegel

Map to expression. So its mapped with expression to expression pedal. Not sure. Just read someone say to map velocity with expression.

You can tell it what CC to send out -- or easy enough in SWAM to learn the CC sent by the pedal by default. You can also use things like Mozaic and Streambyter and others to remap controllers.

• @espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:

Thanks espiegel

You can tell it what CC to send out -- or easy enough in SWAM to learn the CC sent by the pedal by default. You can also use things like Mozaic and Streambyter and others to remap controllers.

Thanks. Will prob send blueboard back first before anymore mapping. Ext1 is faulty or app to ext 1 is faulty.

• @sigma79 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:

Thanks espiegel

Thanks. Will prob send blueboard back first before anymore mapping. Ext1 is faulty or app to ext 1 is faulty.

I've never known the app to have an issue. So, it sounds like it is the blueboard if the same pedal works without problems plugged into the other jack.

• @espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:

Thanks espiegel

I've never known the app to have an issue. So, it sounds like it is the blueboard if the same pedal works without problems plugged into the other jack.

Yeah mate. I will have to send it back. Thanks

• The fix seems to be. Delete app and dont calibrate. They seem to be calibrated the same anyway. Will see if it stays the same.