Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can't set up Cubasis 3 to use a virtual keyboard

I'm trying to connect a virtual keyboard to Cusbasis instead of using is internal keyboard and just cannot get it working. (Its actually Touchscaper I want to connect, but as I've experienced midi problems with that in the past and as Cubasis doesn't list it as a midi input device I'm using KB-1 instead).

Three methods:
1) So if I launch Cubasis and KB-1 and set the midi out of KB-1 to Cubase (channel 1) then within Cubasis expand the routing section and for midi input select KB-1 Ch1 then switch to KB-1 and play, there's no sound (Cubasis background audio is on).

2) Set Cubase input to Network Session 1 and KB-1 output to Network Session 1

3) Launch Aum and route KB-1 to Cubasis, and set KB-1 output to Sum

None of these work.

I can get it to work but only if I set Cubasis's input to All Inputs rather than specifically specify KB-1 or Network Session 1.
However I don't want to set Cubasis input to All because I also want to set its Midi Thru, and if Midi Thru is enabled and input is set to All then there's an infinite loop that starts.

Why can I not get Cubase working with a specific midi input device?

Comments

• @mungbeans have you tried the Virtual Output in KB-1?
    just tried this and got sound... any good?

• @mungbeans As I understand, when an app publishes a Virtual MIDI port, that port aappears with the app name in other apps. So if you connect KB-1 to Cubase, you're connecting to the Virtual MIDI port of Cubase. So, you want to select Virtual MIDI in Cubase. Selecting KB-1 in Cubase means you're connected at cross purposes, each one connected to the other's virtual port. The rule is: App name on one side, Virtual MIDI on the other side. It seems odd, but that's how it works.

• Thanks to you both

• edited February 2021

This works for KB-1 but what about Touchscaper or ChordMaps2? Neither of these list Virtual Output as a destination and neither does Cubasis list it as an input. Only KB-1 shows it.

• edited February 2021

@KMN04 said:
    This works for KB-1 but what about Touchscaper or ChordMaps2? Neither of these list Virtual Output as a destination and neither does Cubasis list it as an input. Only KB-1 shows it.

Do they maybe list Cubasis as an output? Can you enable Virtual MIDI in Cubasis MIDI input settings? Also, if you load those apps in Audiobus or AUM, those hosts can publish a Virtual MIDI port.

Edit: I checked my Cubasis LE 3, and certainly its MIDI options are limited. Loading the keyboard app in Audiobus ought to work though. Send the output to the Audiobus virtual MIDI, and "Audiobus" should show as an input in CB3.